LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
18%
  [ 2 ]  18%

63%
  [ 7 ]  63%

9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 11
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:39 am
--- description ---
Gandalf Bearer of Obligation is a hard ring-bearer to use, but he can be quite the beast with the right cards and strategy.
--- end description ---

Gandalf Bearer of Obligation, what an interesting Ring-Bearer. When you first look at him sometimes he is underestimated. You think, "whenever you move you have to spot 2 other companions AND discard 2 Gandalf cards from hand, otherwise 3 burdens...wow that’s harsh." But really, a Ring-Bearer with 7 strength and 4 vitality, that’s just awesome! It isn’t always that much of a problem with the right cards.

Let’s start with companions. Basically you just want companions from the Gandalf culture. This way you can have all or most of your fellowship cards as Gandalf cards. You should have about 5-6 companions to make a strong deck. It would be wise to start off with 2 other companions besides Gandalf. Brand, King of Dale is definately one of those companions. Depending on the deck you are trying to make the other would vary. Probably either Jarnsmid, Barding Emissary or Erland, Dale Counselor. Jarnsmid is very helpful for removing burdens anytime in the game and Erland is nice for getting those events back into hand. Whichever companion you choose for that position, Brand will give them a +1 strength bonus, which is always nice. The next companion, which helps make the backbone of this deck is Radagast The Brown. The move limit bonus, as I will explain later, is one of the most important ways for this deck to win. You’d want about 2 copies of Radagast. The final companion that is necessary for this deck is Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood. Once again you’d want about 2 copies. Another companion you could have, not needed but nice, would be Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftan; he isn’t necessary though. To help get your companions out early, use A Wizard is Never Late.

As far as possessions/artifacts go, you won’t need many to make a good deck. A few for Gandalf and one for Radagast. Radagast’s staff is a
must for this deck. Radagast could always use the +1 strength +1 vit. bonus and you have a chance to draw more cards when you move again.
Now for Gandalf; you need a total of four possessions and artifacts for him. They consist of: Glamdring Foe Hammer, to burden removal; Gandalf’s Staff, although you won’t be able to cancel the skirmishes each spell you play will be twilight cost -1; Narya; and Shadowfax Unequaled Steed. That will help insure Gandalf’s safety as you move on to the end.

You will want Pallando Far Travelling One, Alatar Final Envoy, and Radagast Tender of Beasts to give a little help to your companions and they work wonderfully with the condition, Strange Meeting.

Later on in the game you will have no choice but to add burdens with Gandalf. Although 3 burdens can be intimidating, there are many ways to get past it. Ease the Burden is the one event you need. Glamdring removes a burden when Gandalf wins. And a Watch and Wait on Treebeard and Radagast is always helpful. To help give Gandalf more resistance, the Ring of Rings is good and adding that to Shadowfax Gandalf has 9 resistance. Not too shabby considering that he only had 5 to begin with.

A few conditions that help with the deck are: G for Grand, Ent Draught, and Traveler’s Homestead.

Last but not least for the cards, would be the events: The Flame of Anor; For a While Less Dark, very nice with followers; and Look to My Coming, mainly used later in the game from the discard pile; and one of the most needed, Fireworks Very Happy

Now for the strategy! I think that the best way to succeed with this deck is to gain the upper hand by moving. With Radagast you will be able to move three times and although Gandalf may force you to discard many cards, Radagast’s Staff gives you a chance to get more cards, hopefully of the Gandalf Culture. However, do not dismay if you are forced to add burdens, they can easily be removed with Glamdring and Watch and Wait. Ent Draght is especially nice, not only for the extra vitality, but also to help kill minions by exerting, thus clearing the way towards victory. Having the followers on your companions and having the condition, Strange Meeting, gives you muster which is very helpful to rid yourself of shadow cards when you plan on moving again. And if your opponent plays any conditions that may be hurtful, you have Treebeard, Pallando, and Traveller’s Homestead to easily and quickly change that. Don’t be afraid to discard your conditions from hand when you move. Treebeard is there and can bring them back into play and if you discard events, Erland can bring them back! So that is basically how to make a sucessful deck using the Gandalf Ring-Bearer and here is a decklist:

Gandalf Bearer of Obligation
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Radagast The Brown x2
Treebeard, Keeper of the Watchwood x2
Brand, King of Dale x1 (starting)
Erland Dale Counselor x1 (starting)
Radagast’s Staff x2
Shadowfax Unequaled Steed x1
Gandalf’s Staff x1
Glamdring Foe Hammer x1
Narya x1
Watch and Wait x2
Strange Meeting x3
Ent Draught x4
O Elbereth! Gilthoniel! x1
Traveler’s Homestead x1
Pallando Far-Traveling One x2
Alatar Final Envoy x2
Radagast Tender of Beasts x2
A Wizard is Never Late x2
Fireworks x2
For a While Less Dark x3
The Flame of Anor x3 ( or preferably 3 Servant of the Secret Fire)
Look to my coming x2
Ease the Burden x1

It looks like too many cards, but trust me...it goes quick!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:56 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
good article I see why it would go quick Very Happy.
the deck seems good except fo one thing you only have a couple companions who can really fight big minions would be able to win fairly easily.
I will vote later
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Chang
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:15 pm
why is Narya in this deck? isn’t it that if you have Gandalf as a ring bearer he can’t have another ring? (I may well be wrong, but I’ve been told this with my dwarf deck.)
Chang
MSN: ensigndan@hotmail.com

I'm a Pirate...I sail the seas of Music...
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:50 pm
I don’t think that is right. When you think about it, the One Ring isn’t a possession or Artifact. It is just the One Ring. So I think you can have Narya on him at the same time. Good question.
Chang
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:54 pm
ok. it would be cool if we could get a official ruling of sorts. cuase this would help my decks out a bunch.
Chang
MSN: ensigndan@hotmail.com

I'm a Pirate...I sail the seas of Music...
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:58 pm
I’ll check into that.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:10 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Not bad...but why is Ease the Burden only in there once, when you make such a big deal out of it?

A very good article...you should mention that Gandalf RB + Radagast’s Staff = Card cycling. It helps you set up a perfect fellowship hand.

Also...how do you plan to deal with all the twilight you give your opponent, especially with Treebeard?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:09 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Chang wrote:
why is Narya in this deck? isn’t it that if you have Gandalf as a ring bearer he can’t have another ring? (I may well be wrong, but I’ve been told this with my dwarf deck.)

Yes he can have both rings. The rule book say that "A companion may bear one card of each class ie hand weapon, cloak, or mount."

Now what class is The One Ring??? Think
It is its own class. Whereas Narya is a artifact•ring so Gandalf can bear both.

Pretty decent article. It could be difficult to pull off the triple move becuase of Gandalf’s text. Also maybe a bit more strategy and more reasons why one should use this deck. After all it is much more common to see Gandalf, BoO paired with Gandalf ents. You also have no conclusion/ending that I can see and your intro is pretty weak IMHO.

I will probably give you a 4. I will vote later.
Last edited by bobtheorc on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:13 pm
I know lord of the shire and have played against this deck. Once, he triple moved with Sauron, Dark Lord of Mordor in play. He took a ton of wounds and some companions even died, but Gandalf cam through it unscathed, and thats really the point, isn’t it? Also, when he double or triple moves, I get a lot of twilight, but my hand gets clogged with fellowship cards and I never ended up using everything he gave.

A good article, well written, few or no mistakes. I really wish I never traded my copy of Gandalf... I give you a 5.

This is really elf lvr. For some reason i can’t post as myself right now. Yes i am logged in... i don’t get what’s wrong. but whatever. This is a great article.
Last edited by guest on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:14 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Ok soo the deck is good. However this is a strategy article contest not neccesarrily a "build a good deck that kills" contest. And as SoP mentioned there are not that many strong companions in the deck.

elf lvr wrote:
Also, when he double or triple moves, I get a lot of twilight, but my hand gets clogged with fellowship cards and I never ended up using everything he gave.

This is really elf lvr. For some reason i can’t post as myself right now. Yes i am logged in... i don’t get what’s wrong. but whatever. This is a great article.

I don’t see why this deck would do a better job of clogging your hand.
Try logging out and logging back in. Also maybe try to refresh the page.
Last edited by bobtheorc on Thu Jun 15, 2006 2:20 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest