LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
23%
  [ 3 ]  23%

7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

53%
  [ 7 ]  53%

7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

1 (Worst)  
7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

Total Votes : 13
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:26 am
--- description ---
Dwarves/Trolls, with this powerhouse combo you can beat the crap out of any minion or companion with sheer brute force!
--- end description ---

Fellowship: Dwarves (35)
Starting-Gimli BoG with The Ring of Doom
Durin III Dwarven Lord
Gloin, Son of Groin

Linnar Dwarven Lord
2x Preparations
2x Grimbeorn, Beorning Chieftain
Ring of Guile
Ring of Retribution
Ring of Accretion
Ring of Fury
3x Dwarven Bracers
Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
Axe of Khazad-Dum
3x Heavy Axe
2x Well-Crafted Armor
Belt of Erebor
Arod, Rohirrim Steed
2x Subterranean Homestead
3x Chamber of Records
2x Awkward Moment
2x Blood Runs Chill
2x No Pauses, No Spills

Shadow:Trolls (35)

2x Cave Troll of Moria, Savage Menace
3x Ordnance Grunt
2x Tower Troll
3x Mountain Troll
4x Porter Troll
3x Beastly Olog-Hai
4x Troll’s Keyward, Keeper of the Beast
3x Orkish Worker
2x Orkish Smith
Pummeling Blow
2x Unreasonable Choice
Beasts of Burden
2x Forced March
4x Goblin Hordes
STRATEGY
Fellowship-i thoroughly enjoy playing the fellowship in this deck because your two main fighters are already out in your starting fellowship. Everyone knows how to use Durin III, you just play as many posessions as you can on him to boost his strength to unimaginable heights. I average a strength 14 Durin III and a strength 9 Gloin by site three. By the end of the game Durins strength can be as high as 20 base. Gloins base strength will remain approximately 12 throughout the game but the tokens give him extra strength with his effect to remove a dwarven token to make him strenght +2.
Grimbeorn can be a potential beast in this deck, think about it for a moment, in normal decks, the minion you discard may make grimbeorn strength +10 or so, in this deck, on average, you can get him strength +15 by simply discarding a porter troll, tower troll, or cave troll. of course, if your lucky, you may be able to discard the mountain troll to get him to a massive 26 attack! grimbeorn + trolls = killing machine!!
Linnar and Grimir are just two side kicks to the gloin and durin beast pair. usually i can get linnar and grimir up to a base of 12 or 13 if i get them out late or possibly 14 if i get them out early. You’re probably wondering how i even get tokens on my conditions to use when pumping gloin. Thats where Well-Crafted Armor comes in. Its effect is "Bearer must be a Dwarf. Each time bearer takes a wound, you may reinforce a dwarven token. Skirmish: Discard a dwarven card from hand to make bearer damage +1". As you can see, this card has obvious potential. So basically, i can afford to lose some skirmishes to add massive amounts of tokens to my conditions. Usually i will put one of my armors on durin and one on either grimir, linnar, or gimli(all depending on the mood im in!) this is extra amazing bc chamber of records allows you to place two tokens on it when you play it anyway! Subterannean homestead only allows you to place one token to start but one is better than zero so im not complaining. by site five, assuming that ive only used three or so tokens on the gloin engine so far i will usually have approximately seven tokens on various conditions or possibly as many as ten.

if this strategy works at its optimal potential i can effectively add 2-3 tokens per turn! this means an extra strength +4 for gloin every turn! this token engine also aids by giving bonus strength to every one of my dwarves who are bearing a heavy axe. this is so because i can remove a token to make any of my bearers of heavy axe strength +1. Some of you may say that Heavy axe is too expensive and your gonna need to use all those tokens to counter the minions your opponent plays with all that extra twilight. Ill admit, four twilight for a strength +3 weapon is outrageous, but then again, heavy axe has yet another affect. its other affect is that it is cost -1 for every condition with a dwarven token on it. this means that i can usually play this weapon for two cost in earlier sights and for one or zero twilight on later sights. This is very handy, i mean, who wouldn’t wanna add three attack to one of their companions for a cost of zero?

This is still a realatively new deck fellowship wise and id appreciate it if nobody completely burned it when reviewing.

Shadow:This is a FUN deck to play shadow wise as well. This strategy requires you to hoarde at least three trolls in my hand at all times. Many think this will clog their hand, and it most definitely would if i wasn’t playin dwarves! Gloins effect also greatly helps my shadow, every skirmish he wins i get to draw three cards and place three cards from hand beneath my draw deck in any order. this lets me cycle like mad! this way, i can afford to keep 2-3 trolls in my hand without any negative affects.

My deck has 15 trolls in it. this may seem a bit outrageous but this is required to make it work properly. by site five usually have 2-3 goblin hordes out, one forced march, one or two beasts of burden and six or seven trolls in my discard pile. i also have my three to four trolls already in my hand. then i will use my goblin hordes to bring three trolls into my hand in addition to these seven trolls in my hand i also have a cave trolls keyward. this is the only point in the game when your hand does become a bit clogged. then i usually save up my hand by not discarding or drawing so i can bring more trolls into my hand the next turn. (i really dont need or want to draw any more at this pt bc by site five im usually only twenty or so cards from decking myself anyway)

once next shadow phase rolls around, i bring yet another three trolls into my hand. this is ten trolls and one keyward. lets say my opponent gives me sixteen twilight on site six. this is when i wage my big attack. first off, ill use my two beasts of burden (or only one if you have six companions out) to make the keyward cost zero. then i will exert hiim twice to reveal my hand twice and show my opponeny my ten trolls (at this point i love to watch their expressions shatter as they see the minions they are about to face) then i add 20 twilight( one for each troll revealed).

now i have 36 twilight and one minon out. then i will go forth and play every troll i can afford(being careful to leave three twilight to use with forced march). this given me 33 twilight to use. i usually start with a tower troll followed by a porter troll. 20 left. from there ill play a beastly olog hai and another porter troll 7 left then ill toil for the cave troll to play him for 4. this leaves me with three twilight. then your opponent has 5 trolls and an orc to deal with and if they survive they have to face it all over again bc of forced march! heres a helpful hint-if they have archery, kill the keyward so you can play him again next turn and exert him to reveal the remaining 6 trolls in ur hand to add an additional 12 twilight!

when played correctly, this deck is hard to defeat. if they do by some freak chance survive the onslaught of five trolls then survive the onslaught of the same trolls in additon to another thre next turn, they probably deserve to beat you. or, if you really dont want to lose, repeat the process as necesary. the only deck type that this deck has a lot of trouble with is choke decks. i have beaten them, but it just takes till site eight as opposed to site six.

this deck can be a bit expensive to produce so if ur not planning on makin this your main deck, dont bother using all that money to buy these cards. dont judge this deck too harshly bc its only a prototype that i play in small tourneys and in casual games. Thank you for taking the time to ready my little article thing.

Hilight moments: Got 12 trolls out on this one kid who was braggin about how his ents could withstand anything i absolutely OBLITERATED every ent he had and his gandy ring bearer only had one vitality left.....i made him move again. (strength 13 gandy versus a 190 strength damage +11 troll horde doesn’t go down very well with the guy playin gandalf!)
Last edited by PorterTroll on Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:12 pm; edited 6 times in total"Don't be a Douche, Stop Piracy!"~Tenacious D
"One of my movies was called "True Lies." It's what the Democrats should have called their convention."~Arnold Schwarzenegger
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 10:41 am
i nearly forgot to give you my adventure deck! oh my!

Adventure Deck-The Bridge of Khazad-dum 0
Abandoned mine shaft 0
isenwash 0
cavern entrance 1
moria stairway 2
west gate of moria 2
moria guardroom 3
caves of aglarond 3
MOUNT DOOM 3
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:56 pm
I liked it. You had some minor problems with spelling and grammar.

Another problem. Even though you had a good amount of strategy on this, you wrote it like a deck list. In you list you put in that you were thinking of adding Dain Ironfoot in. Also, you could put in, are there any weaknesses to this deck? A hand discarding deck/condition discarding could really hurt this deck.
One Ring to rule them all
One Ring to find them
One thing to bring them all
And In the darkness bind them
PorterTroll
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:58 pm
ya, that is another problem, my friend is always using seclusion on me to destroy my conditions so i guess thats a weakness, but orkish smith gets em back for me every time! as i said in my article, choke decks can give this deck some trouble too, but not as bad as condition removal. this deck lives on conditions
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:06 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
ya, that is another problem, my friend is always using seclusion on me to destroy my conditions so i guess thats a weakness, but orkish smith gets em back for me every time! as i said in my article, choke decks can give this deck some trouble too, but not as bad as condition removal. this deck lives on conditions

What if you play against Gandalf with condition removal and minion discarding decks. (remember, only four Orkish Workers)

I’ll probably give this either a really high 3 or a sorta low 4.
One Ring to find them
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:38 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I’d like to see a lot of improved formatting here. Break it up into paragraphs. Also, you don’t need to stick game text in there; summarize it or let us click on the auto-links and read it.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Aragorn_Ellessar
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:40 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
I’d like to see a lot of improved formatting here. Break it up into paragraphs. Also, you don’t need to stick game text in there; summarize it or let us click on the auto-links and read it.

You could also fix some spelling like ur to your and bc to because.
One Ring to find them
elf lvr
Posted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:53 pm
Besides grammar, good article. But don’t expect anyone to go easy just because its your first. I’ve written two (plz read and respond) and they’ve mostly gotten 3’s. We should get better as we go on. Hmmm. Well, my advice is if your playing archery, don’t bother with toiling out the cave troll. leave your vitality and what minions are left will KILL. Very good putting in more possessions and fewer events (nice cycling). But I think a Grima, Wormtongue would tear you apart, forcing you to discard a lot of possessions or your precious trolls. Also, a gollum/ranger moving deck could outrun you before you had time to set up. How do you get 20 trolls in your hand again? you do know that during the regroup phase you must draw/DISCARD until you have 8, don’t you? all in all fair article, unfortunately, grammar plays a big part in the vote, but i will wait before voting, i would like to hear your response.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
PorterTroll
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:53 pm
no, i never got 20 trolls in my hand, i got ten the exerted the keyward 2 times to add one for each troll revealed, since i revealed my hand 2 times i revealed 10 trolls 2 times to 10 times 2 equals 20 so i added 20 twilight with just ten trolls. I love that Keyward! Dancing

and yes, i know you need to discard and draw till u get 8 cards, i would have gotten in soooo much trouble if i had tried to hoarde all those trolls in my hand by not discarding at my last tourney! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:08 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Grammar means a lot, though. Thanks for breaking it up into paragraphs...that helped the readability.

Your deck relies totally on conditions. Play it on SDA. Goblin Hordes, Forced March, and Dwarven Conditions? All gone with a Grown Suddenly Tall. No trolls = clog. You also won’t pull Troll’s Keyward every time.

Furthermore, what if the Free Peoples player has slapped down Caras Galadhon? You won’t be able to assign those extra trolls! So maybe the Fellowship will take blows, but they can always assign Troll’s Keyward to the Ringbearer. He’ll live, for sure.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest