LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
25%
  [ 1 ]  25%

Total Votes : 4
reggierockz
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:00 pm
--- description ---
An original Mono Elven Event deck paired with those nasty Raiders I like to call the Easterlings!
--- end description ---

This one goes out to LunaticFringe.

A little background about the free peoples...

The elves have always been my favorite culture in the LotR universe. When I started playing back when TTT was released I immediately began playing with them. After the release of Reflections, I ran a Last Alliance deck, utilizing the likes of Legolas, Glorfindel, and Elrond. Then, upon the release of Mount Doom and the card Cirdan, a whole new world of opportunity arose. Cirdan would soon become the key companion of many elven event decks. With the banning of Galadriel, elven events seemed to die out. But I kept playing them strong and after countless tournaments and endless hours of playtesting I settled on a build, which has only grown stronger with the release of the Expanded Middle Earth draft boxes and the sons of Elrond. That being said, let’s start with the companions.

Companions (9)
1 Elladan, Son of Elrond (s)
1 Elrohir, Son of Elrond (s)
3 Cirdan, The Shipwright
3 Gil-galad, Elven High King
1 Elrond, Venerable Lord

Elladan - The first of the two sons of Elrond, he is a versatile companion. In a skirmish involving either him or Elrohir, he makes any elven skirmish event twighlight cost -2. This allows you to pump either of your two main fighters with out worrying about adding twighligh, be it for the shadow player to pump back with or to prevent extra twighlight in the regroup phase.

Elrohir - The second of the two sons of Elrond, he is quite devistating. In a skirmish invloving either him or Elladan, each time an elven skirmish event is played, each minion in that skirmish is strength -2. Needless to say, one simple pump involving either of the brothers can be devistating to the shadow player. Combined with his brother, your elven skirmish events (played on either brother) are twighlight cost -2 with a strength -2 to boot.

Cirdan - This companion’s ability is strickly amazing. In the average elf deck, Cirdan can become quite nasty mid to late game. But in a strickly elven event deck packing 20 events, he becomes a beast fast. Say goodbye to high strength minions. Though he is susceptible to wounding, he has proven to be worthwhile. Why three copies you ask? Frist, I want to be sure to draw him as early as possible and second, since his ability causes him to exert frequently, extra copies can be pitched to heal.

Gil-galad - Another beast of a companion, Gil-galad is the second key companion. He is strength 9 with a vitality of 4 and a remarkable regroup ability. He can easily clear the board in the regroup phase with an exertion or two, making that double move easier than cracking a Thorongil...err nevermind. Again, three copies are included for the same reason as Cirdan. I want to draw him quick and heal him as often as possible.

Elrond - What elven deck would be complete with out Elrond? He is the wild card in this deck. Though he is not a necessity, he’s great to play down in the event that one of your companions dies or if you are having a hard time drawing Cirdan or Gil-galad. His healing ability is great (read on to learn why it works so well with this deck) and he’s not a bad fighter at strength 8 and vitality 4. He is the sixth companion, and should only be played when needed. Since this deck is geared for the expanded format, you want to make sure you don’t play out more than five companions.

Events (20)
4 Supporting Fire
2 Final Shot
2 Forearmed
2 Attunement
2 Still Needed
4 Elf Song
2 Company of Archers
2 That Is No Orc Horn

Let’s group the events into two categories:

Pumps and Toolbox events.

Pumps (12)

Supporting Fire gives a stength +3 pump for one twighlight seeing how we can spot three elf companions right from the start.

Final Shot gives us strength +2 and if we happened to double move, it provides strength +5. Now that’s what I call a pump!

Forearmed, though it may be a bit of a gamble, becomes great with the two brothers. It will at least make a minion strength -2 (if played on one of the brothers), though it’s potential is monsterous.

Still Needed give us a flat strength +2, as well as allows us to stack it on top of our draw deck. Infinite ammo anyone? When played on one of the two brothers, its two twighlight cost becomes zero. Sweet. This pump also works great with Elrond, in that you can stack it after you use, making Elronds healing ability a sure hit.

Lastly, we have Attunement. At worst, its a strength +2 pump (and strength -2 if played on one of the brothers). When coupled with Still Needed, it’s guaranteed to be a strength +4. Like Forearmed, this card has huge potential (read further so see how it can even get bigger).

Toolbox events (8)

First tool in the box is Elf Song. Great card, hands down. Simple, yet effective. Four copies is a must to keep those nasty burdens off. In the event that you aren’t facing any burdens, they can be discarded or played regardless (to get it out of your hand).

Next is Company of Archers. I prefer this over Seclusion (yeah, yeah I know) because it is more cost efficient and I can’t afford the toil exertion. Luckily, Evil Men archery isn’t as popular in expanded as it is in standard.

Lastly we have That Is No Orc Horn. It heals and liberates a site. Any healing card could be substituted here, though I prefer TINOH beacuse of all the new site control that came out in The Hunters.

Artifacts (3)

2 Nenya, Ring of Adamant
1 Aiglos

Nenya is inluded for the healing ability. Getting those wounds of Cirdan and Gil-galad is key. Nenya also allows you to stack up to two cards, which becomes great fuel for both Forearmed and Attunment.

Aiglos is the second and final artifact. Throw it on either Gil-galad (to boost his strength) or Cirdan (to boost his vitality). It’s ability is amazing, allowing you to easily clear the board in the regroup phase, seeing how you can spot so many elves.

Conditions (1)

1 The Tale of Gil-galad

This card is included to primarily boost Cirdan’s vitality, but can ultimately be played on anyone. Worst case scenario, you can discard it to pump your strength +2.

Phew... halfway done!

Some background on the shadow...

Upon attending Betashyykshire last year with Team ’Cuse, I had the opportunity to playtest by mono elves in a standard environment (though the deck needed to be adopted for the format). After managing to beat Fred Coughlin’s Solo Smeagol / Ninja Gollum build, I came face to face with Seth Maser in a battle for first place. When the smoke cleared he had survived site 9 while my site marker still sat at site 8. Afterwards I had the great opportunity to get Seth’s incite on the Easterling deck I was running (I’m still trying to rival his all Foil Easterling deck lol). Seth offered up some great advise and guided me in the right direction. What you see here is the result of the help of many people, so I am in no way taking credit for inventing this deck in any way. After endless amounts of play testing, this is what I think works best in the expanded format.

Minions (13)

4 Easterling Captain
4 Easterling Army
3 Easterling Axeman
1 Easterling Footman
1 Easterling Regiment

El Capitan - This guy is your main fighter. Strap him with a polearm and bow and whatever’s on the receiving end is in for trouble. He can pump himself (assuming you can spot 2 burdens) as well as pump any other Easterling.

The Army - Another beast of minion with a built in universal pump. He is 13 strength and fierce. Nuff said.

The Axeman - This little devil may look small, but once you spot tose burdens he’s a 9 strength and fierce for only 2 twighligh. Get enough of these guys out and you can even swarm your opponent.

The Footman - Great minion. In event that you just can’t get those burdens on, this guys the answer.

The Regiment - Though some prefer to run Easterling Pillager in this slot, I think the Regiment is superior for the expanded format. He helps add twighlight to fuel Red Wrath and pumps. He’s fierce and has a solid strength as well.

Now you might be saying 13 minions, that’s it? Keep reading and you’ll see that you’ll be able to get these guys back over and over again.

Possesions (10)

4 Easterling Polearm
4 Raider Bow
2 Ships of Great Draught

First, we have the polearm. Spot those burdens and it’s bearer can’t take wounds. Oh and it’s free to play.

Next, we have the Raider bow. Makes it’s bearer an archer and gives him ambush of 5. Hmm what costs 5 twighlight...Red Wrath anyone?

Lastly, we have Ships of Great Draught. Pitch what you don’t need and pull back what you do. This is how you can discard what’s clogging your hand in order to get whatever shadow card you need. Have a Captain and Bow but no Polearm? You get the idea.

Conditions (4)

4 Small Hope

This is quite possibly the most important card in the deck. If you can get it to survive into the manuever phase once, then you’re set for a while. What’s great is it’s non-unique, so you can play any extra copies you draw down, and then discard them for a strength +2 pump. And if your opponent is packing burden removal, don’t worry. You can keep using it’s ability as long as you cannot spot 2 burdens.

Events (6)

4 Red Wrath
2 Discovered

Red Wrath. Broken card in my opinion. Though at first glance it may seem costly, Raider Bow makes it easily affordable. This card is key for finishing off pesky companions like Cirdan (oh the irony). I perfectly timed Red Wrath against the unprepared can be an instant game winner.

And for condition removal we have Discovered. Simple and effective. In the event you can spot the extra burdens it grows even better.

Add in some sites and a Ring-bearer and we have ourselves a deck!

Adventure Path (8)
(3) Mount Doom
(3) Old Forest Road
(3) City of Kings
(2) Caras Galadhon
(2) West Gate of Moria (Start to remove twighlight from played companions)
(2) Moria Stairway
(1) Neekerbreekers’ Bog
(1) Expanding Marshland
(0) Anduin Banks

Ringer-bearer and Ring
Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Free Peoples (33)
1 Elladan, Son of Elrond (s)
1 Elrohir, Son of Elrond (s)
3 Cirdan, The Shipwright
3 Gil-galad, Elven High King
1 Elrond, Venerable Lord
4 Supporting Fire
2 Final Shot
2 Forearmed
2 Attunement
2 Still Needed
4 Elf Song
2 Company of Archers
2 That Is No Orc Horn
2 Nenya, Ring of Adamant
1 Aiglos
1 The Tale of Gil-galad

Shadow (33)
4 Easterling Captain
4 Easterling Army
3 Easterling Axeman
1 Easterling Footman
1 Easterling Regiment
4 Easterling Polearm
4 Raider Bow
2 Ships of Great Draught
4 Small Hope
4 Red Wrath
2 Discovered

There you have it! Onto some tough matchups you might face with the fellowship.

Archery - Heal as often as possible. Make sure to win your skirmishes and dont hesitate to only single move. If need be, cycle lots of shadow cards with Ships to set up better fellowship hands.

Swarm - Always save pumps for Galadriel, even if that means losing other skirmishes. Play concervatively and remember that swarms come when you least expect them too. Play smart early on, don’t give out too much twighlight.

Ninja Gollum - Stay one step ahead of the shadow player. Try to knock out key conditions, but over all that will be hard to do, Make sure to win fierce skirmishes (even if that means losing the first one), because most of NG’s conditions key off of the free people’s player losing fierce skirmishes.

and for the Shadow:

Ring-bound hobbits - You will most likely never have any burdens on due to Bilbo. Do what you can and try to keep minions on the table or add lots of twighligh with bows to prevent them from moving. Red Wrath is your best bet.

Choke decks - Set up and ideal hand with Ships. Get one big minion out with lots of toys. Make sure to keep the burdens on so you can’t take wounds.

Dwarves - Try to knock out Durin with Red Wrath. It will be tough to overwhelm some dwarves due to their high strength bonuses. Again use Red Wrath to it’s full advantage.

Well that looks like it. If you made it this far, thanks for reading and I look forward to reading your comments. Sorry if there are any typos that I missed lol.

-reggierockz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:11 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
This article’s a lot better than the other one. You realize, of course, that it’s not standard-legal?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:32 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
a couple fo things how do you add burdens with your shadwo at msot i see you getting 2.
also TiNOH don’t you have to liberate a site and heal a companion?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:57 pm
I agree with CG; this is a better article than your last one. I would have liked it more if the paragraphs were longer, not one or two sentences. Focus on conditions in one paragraph, possessions the next, etc. And as CG said, it is not Standard-legal. Otherwise, a good article. I give it a 3.
I had to put something here.
reggierockz
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:42 pm
Just a reminder, I mentioned a few times that it is for expanded. I only play expanded so any articles I write will be for expanded decks.

In response to the quesion about adding only 2 burdens:

That is the goal with this shadow. Get 2 burdens on, that’s it. That makes Easterling Polearm key as wel as the Captain’s and the Army’s abilities. That’s all that is needed, any other burdens that happen to be added are extra.

And about TINOH, you do not have to liberate a site. The card reads:

Regroup: Spot 3 elf companions to heal and elf and liberate a site.

First you heal and than if you can liberate a site, you do so.
reggierockz
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:48 pm
All in all, my goal is not to win any contest. I spent more time on this article and used one of my original ideas that I have lots of experience with, to show the members of this board that I’m not some raging idiot. Sorry that the structure wasnt what you were looking for, but I guess that is more of an issue of personal preference.

With that I bid you all a fond farewell.

-reggierockz

Please try to avoid double posting. ~AP
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:56 pm
It’s a good article...I still think that Ninja Gollum, especially in Expanded, could hit it hard. Not This Time! and Sudden Strike, both Hunters cards, could break it wide open by knocking off companions and clogging your hand with those extra copies. Not all Ninja Gollum keys off of fierce skirmishes.

Moria archery, especially with Bitter Hatred, can grind your fellowship down as well, eventually getting an archery swarm at a late site...or, in expanded, it can knock off your RB, since in Fellowship nobody ever thought that an Elf would be the RB! (or has Bitter Hatred been errated?)
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
reggierockz
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:27 am
Yes, Ninja Gollum has always given me trouble, no arguments there. But just like any other deck, this one has weeknesses, Ninja Gollum being one of them. As for Moria Archery, I’m not sure about the current ruling on Bitter Hatred. Sure it would cause some damage in theory, but then again, who actually packs that card (and enough copies) for it to really be threatening?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 7:31 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
reggierockz wrote:
All in all, my goal is not to win any contest. I spent more time on this article and used one of my original ideas that I have lots of experience with, to show the members of this board that I’m not some raging idiot. Sorry that the structure wasnt what you were looking for, but I guess that is more of an issue of personal preference.

With that I bid you all a fond farewell.

-reggierockz

Please try to avoid double posting. ~AP

like portertroll eah?

OK it was a pretty good article just not top tier
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:57 pm
reggierockz wrote:
As for Moria Archery, I’m not sure about the current ruling on Bitter Hatred. Sure it would cause some damage in theory, but then again, who actually packs that card (and enough copies) for it to really be threatening?

Somebody who wants to beat your deck would. And trust me, Moria archery is nothing to sneeze at. Bib used it in FOTR block to slaughter my Elven archers one by one, and against an all-elf fellowship it would be quite a weapon.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest