LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Fellowship Block
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:32 am
Hobbit Hospital worked best in Fellowship block. The general idea was to get out all these site 1 and 2 hobbit allies for no twilight and soak up or heal as many as six wounds each turn. The basic variety ran four hobbits, although there were a couple variants with Solo Frodo and Sam; Frodo, Sam and Aragorn; or Frodo, Sam and Gandalf. It generally paired best with a shadow kill deck such as moria as at the later sites it was difficult to run when most of your companions are only 7 or 8 strength and can’t win skrimishes.

This is a basic 4-Hobbit Hospital deck:

Ringbearer and Ring
Frodo old bilbos heir
The one ring Isildurs bane

Companions (3)
1x Merry From oer the brandywine (starting)
1x Pippin hobbit of some intelligence (starting)
1x Sam son of hamfast (starting)

Hobbit Hospital Allies (12)
1x The gaffer Sams father
1x farmer maggot chaser of rascals
1x rosie cotton hobbiton lass
4x hobbit party guest
2x hobbit farmer
2x bounder
1x filibert bolger wily rascal

Posessions/Artifacts (7)
2x hobbit sword
1x Sting
1x Frying Pan
1x Mithril Coat
1x Thror’s Map
1x Bill the Pony

Conditions (9)
1x O elbereth Gilthoniel
2x There and back again
2x a talent for not being seen
4x A Promise

Events (9)
3x Hobbit Stealth
4x Hobbit intuition
2x Power according to his stature

Key Sites
1 - Green Hill Country
2 - Bucklebury Ferry
6 - Valley of the Silverlode
7 - Anduin Banks

Weighing in at 40 cards this was a pretty hefty free people’s half an paired best with a massive cycling moria half as there were plenty of cards that you could get rid of to They are coming if you needed to. This deck doesn’t work as well in a non-Fellowship Block environment due to the fact that you don’t get to use the Fellowship block sites. The key was to go second to allow yourself time to set up your fellowship and get your Buckleberry Ferry out there to prevent skrimishes. Once you got your hobbit farmer, replacing the site 1 with your Green Hill Country allowed all of your hobbit allies to come out for free which meant massive twilight choke. Coupled with Bill the Pony and A Talent for not being seen, at site 8 and 9 you can give out a maximum of 10 (9 for the site - 2 for Talent -1 for Bill, +4 for your companions) twilight which unless you are playing against moria is only enough for an average of three minions.

Merry starts out as your primary fighting companion and should get the first hobbit sword as he becomes a 7 strength. Frodo gets sting and should use it as often as possible. With Sting, the Ring and A Promise and O Elbereth, Frodo becomes an 11. Sam is a respectable 10 with Rosie, a Hobbit sword and four A Promise. Pippin is in there for the burden removal after the bid and for getting the frying pan to use his vitality against orcs.

The Hobbit Hospital part works like this: At the start of every turn heal your Hobbit Party Guests with their game text and heal another key ally (bounder or one of your other exert to heal allies) with Frodo. In the fellowship phase, get as many wounds off of your companions as you can hopefully leaving only your Hobbit party guests and Farmer Maggot exerted so that your other allies aren’t Tower Assassin bait. Every turn this can be like a sanctuary as you can consistently remove 5 wounds a turn.

In fellowship block the worst thing that could happen to you was having all your allies discarded by Anduin Confluence at site 7, thus the Thror’s Map. Pre-errata, it could be used every turn, but now that it says "Exert two hobbits and discard Thror’s Map..." it becomes a one time card that should only be used when moving to site 7. This deck worked well with the original rules of being able to cancel the ring bearer’s skirmishes, but I’m not sure how it works now.

It is a fun deck to play particularly if you like the Shire culture. Build a version for yourself and tweak it to your tastes and give it a whirl. I look forward to hearing your feedback!
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

This Incognito is a smooth operator - Lem0nhead
Pipeweed
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:17 am
Wow. Great post Merrick_Hale. I think I understand the deck a lot better now. How do you think I should modify it to fit expanded format? Is this the type of deck that will crumble if modified?
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:22 am
The biggest down side is that you don’t have much twilight denial potential any more because of losing The Green Hill Country. Other than that, the deck should work fairly well aside from the fact that you can’t cancel any skirmishes and all your strength pumps are just strength pumps. I haven’t tried it in expanded, so you might want to give it a try and let me know how it fares.

I’m currently fascinated by a flaming hobbits deck that uses saved from the fire to burn hobbit companions and set up a super sam/frodo fighting deck. Quite fun, but it can lead to problems as with any burning deck, you wind up giving out a huge amount of twilight early on.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

Pipeweed
Posted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 11:25 am
Hmm. I might just build one as a FOTR deck for playng with my friends. It’s not like it’s an outrageously expensive deck to build, and moria can be so cheap.

CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:52 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Awesome! That’s what I’m going to pair my FOTR Moria swarm with!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Pipeweed
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:56 am
Ditto.

elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:34 pm
wow, Merrik_Hale, that post was almost an article
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:36 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Laughing Maybe it once was.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:37 pm
wouldn’t be surprised
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Merrick_Hale
Posted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:47 pm
Nope. It was never an article as I typed it up on the fly, but since it was one of my favorite decks in fellowship block I know it pretty well. Thanks for the comments and I hope that you enjoy playing with the deck. It is a lot of fun to play if you can pull it off.
Aaron Rhinehart
Rider of Rohan (retired)
DAgent #417 (retired)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Fellowship Block