LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:25 pm
Well, I might as well admit it. I got a match loss at the prerelease. Seriously, I would feel like a total scrub except that both games were ohran viper with surging might rippling for another, both on viper with enough mana problems I couldn’t play removal.

Overall, I played a double, 3-0-1 (ID last round so I could have time for another, and 2-1-1, "legit" tie- the guy played slowly, but not too slowly for a judge). Yay for 14 packs! Two traded, the rest sold for $40!

I’ll be going away for a few days, college visiting in the northeast. I’ll be back around Wednesdayish, with a report on it! (and give musco good ideas for his a week from now based on a guy who’s seen this stuff in action!)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:01 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Thanks, appreciate it! Very Happy
If you have time to answer this: were super-pitch cards with abusive mana costs playable on the Pre-Release, or you’d advise me to not count on that? Of course, that depends A LOT on what you draft from your boosters, but average-speaking, based on what you saw. Also, your post was a little confusing for me, which place did you finish in?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 am
They do it by flights... there aren’t places persay at these things.

Prizes:
4-0-0=16
3-0-1=11
3-1-0=6
2-0-2=4
2-1-1=3

So I got 14 prize boosters overall. I intentionally drew to split the final match prizes flight one so I could fit in another flight.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 am
Now THAT’S confusing for me... Never saw a tournament that way, must bereally nice! Very Happy My Pre-Release has final standings, and as far as I can remember, they even take the T8 and make "Finals", but ever since a Pre-Release ended up going through the night (it ended about 01:00 o’clock), I don’t know if they still do it. All I know is, first place wins a sealed booster box! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 3:38 pm
I went to the prerelease here in Houston!
Seems everybody opened up Dark Depths! In my 3 immediate neighbors, plus my friend, there were 4! The guy to my left opened one right after the other! I didn’t see any pitch spells except the red one once, and then it was hardcast, which makes sense because it’s a late-game bomb.
I made a very efficient Blue/White flying/control deck.
Sadly, I went 2-2, but it was just about as close as you can go. I ended up losing 5 games; 1-2 in the first round to red/green beats, 2-1 in the second round to black/red/green beats, 2-0 in the third to a black/green/red with decent cards but no strategy, and 1-2 in the fourth to white/green/black control. In the end it all came down to the luck of the packs; our decks were just about as equal as you could get, and the games showed it. In the last game, I was dominating with five 1/1 bird tokens and three creature-tappers to his two, when he dropped a Adarkar Valkyrie. I chained it up, but not before he took out my flying army and took out one of my tappers. He then dropped a Juniper Order Ranger and a Zombie Musher that won him the game.
All in all, it was the most fun I’ve had a prerelease since Mirrodin!
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:44 pm
cool! I would like to see your pool, if possible. I like simulating pools and seeing what I would play vs. what other people would play.

I’ll post mine up a little later... I kind of wrecked the second pool, but I’ll write an article about the first one most likely. If not, I’ll just post it here.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:10 pm
See, now, I think I might start a thread about "differences in tournaments". Pre-Release ’round here goes a lot differently from what I’ve seen in the US. First off, we DO have standings, T8 and all that stuff. Second, we don’t have first and second pools, we simply get a Sealed Deck and two Sealed Booster packs... And PLEASE do post your pools, since I’m playing Pre-Release next saturday, I’d like to see what I’ll be up against. Can’t wait to check the full spoiler list on Wizards tomorrow!
I don't like YOU.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:00 pm
Sadly, my pool is at my house, and I’m staying with the girlfriend for this week. I’ll see if I can run by some day and pick it up so I can type it up for you guys. I got good blue/white, which is why I played it, but absolutely no bombs (aside from Jokulmorder, that doesn’t count Mad ). I’d like to see what others would’ve done.
I didn’t have too much utility sideboard, I just usually dropped Jokulmorder since maindecking was a bad idea and maindecked the blue Martyr.
BrianBoitano
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:16 pm
Another thing to note about the prerelease was that there was a lot of confusion. People who did not read the Coldsnap FAQ and who didn’t read the cards very well had problems with some of the rules and keywords, as such:
Recover- One person out of three I played who had a Recover card actually knew that it triggers once, and at the end of that trigger it will either be in your hand or removed from the game. That’s right, you have to have the mana (or life, for the assassin) open the first time a creature is put into your graveyard from play, or you’re SOL.

Ripple- Ripple is a "may", and you can do it even if you don’t have any others of that card in your library, if for nothing else than to put the top 4 cards of your library on the bottom in any order, for instance if you know something on the top sucks or something good is a bit deeper in your deck.
Multiple instances of Ripple trigger seperately, so if you have 2 Thrumming Stones or if you have a Thrumming Stone and a card with native Ripple, you can Ripple once, play any you find with that one (with their ripples), then use the second Ripple and play any of THOSE! Crazy stuff in a 40 card deck!

Kindle cards- The first Sound the Call puts a 1/1 into play, but immediately upon resolution (assuming no Leyline of the Void-trickery), it will be a 2/2. State-based effects won’t have a chance to check before the Sound the Call card will be in the graveyard and the token will have the bonus, so for instance if Night of Soul’s Betrayal is out the token survives as a 1/1 (assuming no other Sound the Calls are in graveyards)

If cumulative upkeep is not paid (optionally or unableness), the permanent is sacrificed with the new age counter count on it. For instance if you pay WWU for the cumulative upkeep of a Jotun Owl Keeper, then next turn you don’t pay, you will get 4 1/1 white birds when you sacrifice him.

Hope that will clear up some confusion!
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 pm
Although I know I won’t make those mistakes, as I had already got the idea, the post DOES contain useful information, so, therefore, I gave you a gp for it! Very Happy But FOR SURE people will be messing things like that up on the Pre-Release...
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion