LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
good ideas i think these definitly should be transplanted to the CC council (maybe the LOTR council)
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:07 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hey, fellow "Gatherers", Coldsnap Pre-Release for me is this saturday, you know, so I’d appreciate some advice. Should I run cards like Rune Snag and/or Deathmark, limited by color? Which cards should I give priority in a prere build?
I KNOW this is hard to tell without actually LOOKING at a poll, but any advice is more than welcome!
I don't like YOU.
mojo
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:16 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Hey, fellow "Gatherers", Coldsnap Pre-Release for me is this saturday, you know, so I’d appreciate some advice. Should I run cards like Rune Snag and/or Deathmark, limited by color? Which cards should I give priority in a prere build?
I KNOW this is hard to tell without actually LOOKING at a poll, but any advice is more than welcome!

alright in prerelease, run this one guy with protection from snow if u ahve alot of green he’s a house and since everyone is running snow wont be able to kill. also u should only run run snap if u have 3 or 4. also anything that can get u the cheap duel lands is a major help. also try to get urself a viper, prolly the best card in the set imo. also try to get some creature hate in their, or scying sheets. well hoped that helped
ta ta for now
BrianBoitano
Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:11 pm
Do you know what format it will be?
Advice for booster drafts varies from advice for sealed pack tournaments.
There may be a beneficial color scheme for draft, but remember that if you are in sealed don’t choose colors based on what you could get, since you know exactly what you have.

The biggest beaters are of course green, with an astounding amount of natural tramplers pretty well costed (oh yeah, and as mojo says, Ronom Hulk is great (and a common!)), including two common Aurochs (draft makes them better, too!). Into the North can play acceleration or tutor for the nice Mouth of Ronom, or Scrying Sheets/Dark Depths if you pulled them. The ripple card is one of the better ones, but only really worth it if you’re drafting and make a point of picking them over more enticing things.

Red is another obvious choice, for all it’s been given in Coldsnap. There is the obvious finisher of Rimescale Dragon, the beauty that is Stalking Yeti, and two fantastic one drops: Karplusan Wolverine and Martyr of Ashes (Martyr being better in draft where you can collect more red cards). Skred is very solid removal at instant speed (again, draft helps collect snow lands if you’re focused), and Balduvian Rage can turn a stagnant late game one sided in a hurry.

I don’t think running lots of countermagic will pay off, really. Limited is all about card advantage, since games go longer and so the person who can play more spells will win. They can prevent their big bomb from reaching the table, but usually they will have extra mana at that point since they’re not guaranteed to draw it/them in their opening hand, so I wouldn’t suggest Rune Snag or Martyr of Frost (over a different one-drop, that is. Frosty is nice if you have a topheavy mana curve).
That said, I think Counterbalance won me several games at my prerelease, most on probability (most people curved out at 3 and 4 casting cost) and a little on combo with the Survivor of the Unseen. I might see playing Counterbalance and/or Controvert, as they each have the potential to gain you lots of card advantage.
That said, Blue has Drelnoch, which is just amazing. Frozen Solid is nice off-color removal, which could really ruin your opponent’s game. Rimewind Taskmage was a godsend for me, but I got lucky on snow.

Black of course had the star of the show at my pre-release in Zombie Musher. Everyone who played black had him, and everyone played their snow lands. I don’t know how this would go if you play draft, let me just say that if you see people passing him, grab him! I’d take him over a lot of things, because consistancy will win you the game and with him at common and people passing him, you could end up with lots of good stuff. Then again Black has the (I think) weakest ripple card (Surging Dementia), so you can’t have fun there Razz
EDIT: Black also has some nice commons in Chill to the Bone, Disciple of Tevesh Szat, Gutless Ghoul and Rimebound Dead, but some terrible rares. Void Maw is the best, I don’t know about picking any of the others (Maybe Phyrexian Etchings, I haven’t heard anything about how well it works).

White is tricky to call. It has the craziest bombs, decent board control, and some amazingly efficient creatures (starting with Kjeldoran Outrider and Ronom Unicorn, moving up to Jotun Owl Keeper and Surging Sentinals (really amazing if you can draft tons, remember no 4-of limit!), and the uncommon above-average Ursine Fylgja and Kjeldoran Gargoyle.

Remeber that drafting "number matters" cards, like the ripple cards and Kindle-esque cards (Sound the Call, Kjeldoran War Cry), is tricky and can hurt you. If you want to be successful with it, you have to be determined by your 2nd or 3rd pack to pick them above (most all) else. Surging Flame is an exception; it just works wonders on its own (but try to get more if you can of course Razz).
"Not again" -Hans
Hello kind Sir or Madam, I am a polite sig virus. Please put me into your fine and dandy signature so that I might continue to replicate. Thank you for your time.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:51 am
Yeah, I forgot about format! Here’s my deal:
I get 5 Coldsnap booster packs, and I get to take 5 of each Basic Land (not Snow-covered, though) with me. I crack open the boosters, get my lands, and assemble a 40-card deck. Tricky, I know...
Assuming one Snow Land per pack, I’d end up with 70 cards from wich to choose from, 5 Snow Lands (which I’d probably use even if off-color, if I get things like Rimewind Taskmage and/or Heidar, Rimewind Master, and a few others) and my other lands. Assuming the boosters usually come balanced, sorted between colors, abstracting from the concepts of which would be a good card (some great tips there, thanks for it, btw, mojo and BB! Wink ), anyone care to give some math to work with? Like, 10 cadrs from a color = 7 lands from it, or something like that. And, for instance, play 3 colors if you’ve got about X, Y and Z, or play 4 or 2, or whatever...
Any help will be more than welcome! And be SURE that, if I DO win the Pre-Release, I’m crediting it to Cobra Cards (and our Gathering) for it! Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
mojo
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:34 pm
well, the ratio i use is one land for each permant of that color then add or deduct if u are adding another color or not.....each booster comes with at least one snow land. l

like when i played, i went three colors but i only splashed blue for blizzard spectergood card if u get it out early) cause i had the into the north...the two best colors in the set has to be green and black most likely...even if zur the enchanter is pretty cool to use.
physcosick
Posted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:11 pm
A lot of people think GW is the best color in the set... but as for deciding what lands to play, what i do is go through each card and have a pen and paper ready. For example: I’m looking through each card and my deck is GW so I write down:

G-
W-
first card is into the North so it becomes:

G- I
W-

I as in the roman numeral one and it stands for the one G in the casting cost. Lets say the next card costs 2WWW

G- I
W- III

So now lets speed it up and say the final total is

G- 17
W- 23

Now lets assume you have room for 15 lands now by the looks of it I’d say you obviously need 1-2 more white mana sources than you do green so prolly 7 forests and 8 plains or maybe 6-9 depending... but i’d rather go with 7-8 for green consistancy... this of couse is assuming that you have no non baiscs like Mouth of Ronon (speeling) or Scrying Sheets, etc.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:31 pm
Well, Pre-Release was a lot of FUN, turns out Coldsnap is more fun to play than I expected! I’m tired right now, so I’ll post how it went later, on another thread. I did 4-3, since I happened to play the best player ’round here (0-2) and I played my last game (which would have gotten my into TCool against the Regionals winner. It was a very close match, but in the last game, I popped Sun Scour too soon, and when you’re playing a high-level player, one mistake can cost a lot. It did. But I still manage to do T16, so I’ve got prizes, and I ended up with Ohran Viper, Adarkar Valkyrie, THREE FOIL Allosaurus Rider, Dark Depths, Rimefeather Owl, Lightning Serpent (or something like it), Phyrexian Etchings, well, nice cards. Oh, and a FOIL Artic Nishoba, which was pretty neat to use during the tournament!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion