LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

18%
  [ 2 ]  18%

36%
  [ 4 ]  36%

36%
  [ 4 ]  36%

1 (Worst)  
9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

Total Votes : 11
KingMike-
Posted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:23 pm
--- description ---
Looks at a new Rohan strategy made possible by the release of LOTR TCG: Bloodlines.
--- end description ---

Hello and welcome all to my article on Lord of the Rings TCG strategy.
Until November the following strategy is still standard but after the release of Hunters it becomes expanded.
Right today we are going to look at a new strategy I have come across with the release of Bloodlines and more specifically the brand new Rohan companion Theodred, Second Marshall of the Mark. Whose text reads as:

(2) Theodred, Second Marshall of the Mark (Rohan)
Companion Man
Str:6
Vit:3
Res:6
While you can spot a (Rohan) Man who has resistance 7 or more,
Theodred is twighlight cost -1.
At the start of each skirmish involving Theodred, you may exert each minion he is skirmishing.
13R138.

Now at this point I would like to point out that I don’t use Eomer, Third Marshall of the Riddermark because I don’t own it but even if I did I wouldn’t because he is overplayed. Yet after looking at this card I couldn’t help thinking about how good this character would be if he had Third Marshalls abiltiy and a horse to get that crucial second exertion. And then it hit me and with all the speed I could muster after eating a whole pizza (I hadn’t had any lunch, I’m not fat honest........) I ran into the other room to look through my Two Towers block rares and found to my considerable joy a little used version of Eomer which works perfectly in tandem with Theodred. It looks a little like this:

(3) Eomer, Rohirrim Captain (Rohan)
Companion Man
Str:7
Sig:Gandalf
Valiant
While you can spot a (Rohan) Man,
Eomers Twighlight cost is -1.
Skirmish: Discard 3 cards from hand to make a (Rohan) man
strength +2 for each wound on a minion in his or her skirmish.
6R92.

Now I kow what your thinking why use this combo when I can just use Third Marshall. Well I will explain that after I reveal the other companions in my deck.
Now one of the biggest problems for Rohan has always been the Ringbearer. I have forgtten the amount of times I have played as Rohan and had Frodo bashed down. He is the weak link in any Rohan deck. Well now you needn’t play him any more because of another new companion from Bloodlines. Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation:

(4) Gandalf, Bearer of Obligation (Gandalf)
Companion Wizard
Vit:4
Res:5
While Gandalf is the Ringbearer, each time the fellowship moves, add 3 burdens unless you spot 2 other companions and discard 2 (Gandalf) cards from hand.
13R33

Now when you first see this card you think wow that sucks I’m going to get corrupted on site 3! But with the right suppot cards those burdens will no longer bother you. With The Ruling Ring and Shadowfax, Uneaqualed Stead his resistances rises to 9 and with four of your companion bearer Whatch and Wait (which will be featuring in the War of the Ring Anthology) and Glamdring, Foe Hammer you will soon be gatting rid of any burdens added. With this Gandalf is a very sturdy Ringbearer and unlike in other Gandalf/Rohan combos you can now start him with other Rohan comps.
And what Rohan companion goes better with Gandalf than Theoden. Combined with the Gandalf condition Hearken To Me Theoden and all the various Rohan posessions he can be a force to be reckoned with. But which Theoden to use. The obvious solution came in my next Bloodlines pack. By this time I was beggining to think someone who liked me was fixing my packs beacause I was literally pulling a deck out my box.
Theoden the Renowned is the new Theoden from Bloodlines:

(3) Theoden, The Renowned (Rohan)
Companion Man
Res:7
While you can spot Eowyn, Theoden is Defender +1
While you can spot Eomer, Theoden is damage +1
While you can spot Theodred, the move limit is +1.
13R137

So while spotting Eomer and Theodred and bearing Hearken to Me, Snowmane Noble Mearas, Riders Bow and Herugrim Sword of the Mark he looks like this.

(3) Theoden, the Renowned (Rohan)
Companion Man
Str:13
Vir:5
Res:8
Damage +1
Defender +1

Now that is pretty darn good. Still with me............. good then I’ll carry on. Here is wher we see why this combo is better than just using third marshall. The key card for this is Snowmane, Mearas of the Mark. As part of his ability you can remove a (Rohan) token to exaust a minion he is skirmishing. This combined with the Eomer means that Theoden can reach very large strength relatively easily. Now right now I bet your thinking that thats all very well if you have tokens but they are hard to get right? Wrong, with the new Bloodlines condition Windswept Homestead its childsplay:

(2) Windswept Homestead (Rohan)
condition support area
To Play, spot 2 (Rohan) companions.
When you play this, add a (Rohan) token here for each plains site and each battleground site on the adventure path.
At the start of each regroup phase add a token here for each character that has muster.
13R139.

The trick her is to stay behind your opponent until about site five to make sure you get in your sites. Then play this condition and race to the end (Which you can do because of Theodens move bonus)
With the tokens this gives you you will be able to continually exaust opposing minions.
The last piece of the puzzle is Eowyn who is needed to give Theoden that all important move bonus. With all the wounds jumping around all over the place there was one Eowyn which seemed obvious to me and that was Lady of Ithilien from Mount Doom. With her wonding ability shes basically there to mop up any minions which may have survived there skirmishes with Thedon and Theodred as well as taking out any which have attacked Gandalf or Eomer (Who can fend for themselves but are really more there to support the others) with this group of five you should be pretty secure but I would throw in maybe Hrethel to take cover for any losses.
As for a shadow side it is mainly going to be there as card fodder for Eomer. So I would use a shadow involving minions your opponent will not want to move against as you are aiming to out run your opponent. I will leave you to work what would be good for this yourself. A Wraith startegy mind do well here.

So here is the deck in all its woundy glory. It is 36 cards wich is quite large but it also has good cycling so that shouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Rinbearer:
Galdalf, BOO
The One Ring, Ring of Rings

Starting Fellowship:
Theodred SMOTM
Eomer RC

Companions:
3x Theoden TR
3x Eowyn LOI
1x Hrethel ROR

Possesions:
2x Riders Bow
4x Rohhirim Javelin
Herugrim SOTM
1x Snowmane NM
2x Long Spear
Eowyns Sword DB
Eomers Spear
Firefoot, MOTM
2x Riders Mount
Windolfa
Glamdring FH
Shadowfax US
Gandalfs Staff

Conditions:
2x Heaken to Me
Windswept Homestead
Sword Rack

Events:
4x Simbelmyne

There you go have fun.
Grashopper
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:19 am
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 44 Location: Schalbruch, Germany
That's a very interesting concept, but if I ever ran across a deck that featured Gandalf as a ring bearer without Gandalf companions and copious amounts of Gandalf cards, I would simply play no companions at each site and watch you corrupt yourself.. You need some traveled leaders and/or other site path manipulation to play osgiliath reclaimed a few times for yourself. Some burden removal that doesn't rely on winning skirmishes would be helpful as well. Bouncing Pippen, WoSaB would fit in the theme of your deck and 2 to 4 Home and Hearths would remove burdens each time you play him, effectively countering Gandalf's drawback.
Check out this Online Strategy TCG:
StarChamber
hblika
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 11:40 am
To be relying so heavily on Watch and Wait, it's quite surprising you haven't included it in your decklist....
I'm not stupid. I'm just unlucky when I'm thinking.
Cleston
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:04 pm
i don´t understand how you manage to move so many times without corrupting yourself.
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:19 pm
The whtch and waits remove burdens in the skirmish phase and the Ring and Shadowfax bump up his resistance.
KingMike
Posted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 5:22 pm
Sorry I was in such a hurry to make the article that I made it as a guest and when I made the deck list I forgot about the Watch and Waits and so now I cannot edit it. For future reference this article was made by KingMike. Very Happy
mmmmmmmmmm cheese!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 8:39 pm
Anonymous wrote:
The whtch and waits remove burdens in the skirmish phase and the Ring and Shadowfax bump up his resistance.

But if your opponent plays no minions, then Watch and Wait + Glamdring won't remove any burdens, and you'll be corrupted by site 4. The point is, with the Gandalf ring-bearer, you need to have fellowship phase or regroup phase burden removal, or you're screwed.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
KingMike
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:34 am
Hmmm good point what do you think Narya maybe?
mmmmmmmmmm cheese!
Cleston
Posted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:05 pm
KingMike wrote:
Hmmm good point what do you think Narya maybe?

add 2 or 3 ease the burden. yes, it hurts your list, but if i play against one guy who has absolutely no gandalf card to discard i´ll surely play no minion and muster my shadow away. then, if he manages to remove 4 or 5 burdens, i´m screwed...
- "If I die, your deck will crumble!"
Gandalf (any of them)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest