LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
bobtheorc
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:50 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I was just wondering how much money it would probably cost to build a good Mtg and to start a decent collection.

And recently I was talking to a friend and he mentioned a cards called "Black Lotus" that was supposed to be worth a lot.
Has anyone here heard of it?
And finally how simular is Mtg to LOTR TCG rules wise?
In other words would it be easy for a LOTR TCG guy to learn MtG?

Thanks guys
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:25 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Black Lotus was a rare card from Alpha (the first set of Magic ever released), and it’s supposed to be the most rare card that came in sets. It’s an Artifact that costs 0 to play, which you tap, sacrifice and it adds three mana of any color to your mana pool. Can you imagine what this could do? However, it’s so rare that it’s not even banned in Open (or whatever it’s called), only restricted to one copy per deck. The owner of the locar Card Shop here has one, it’s worth something around 500 dollars or so, maybe more now.
Also, about the rules, I’ve gone the other way around, and it WAS a hell of a lot easier to learn LotR TCG knowing Magic. Although reading a rulebook it might not seem this way, if you want to ask more "directly" to me, yes, rules CAN be very similar. However, Magic seems to be more difficult to catch since it has A LOT of Instants and Abilities (that are used like instants), which work similar to Event • Response in LotR, and those are few. However, it’s more fun to combo.
To build a nice deck, it depends on how much you want to spend, if you check my two August articles, and you cut Umezawa’s Jitte from the first one, adding some other sort of Counterspell to fill that slot (I added Rune Snag, so far, but Rimefeather Owl might do the job), you’ll find them both to be pretty cheap to build, and pretty fun to play. However, they might not be tournament-winning material, although most people won’t be ready for something like them.
I don't like YOU.
physcosick
Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:12 am
A good deck will cost you, from scratch, perhaps 150-200. A good collection, however, will cost you much more. The problem is you could go out and buy some veterans collection like som of my friends do, but your experience is lacking to where if you went ahead and bought a big collection, you lack the experience needed to know the values of the cards and you will get ripped off quite horribly. So just work on a deck and slowly build a colelction. You’ll get better at trading and learn the values of the cards. But right now, save your self from ruining yourself and just worry about a deck.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:05 pm
I can design a competitive standard deck for 50$. It’s not that hard. All you have to do is be prepared for a slightly unstable mana base. A G/W deck can be pretty cheap. The only bad price thing is isamaru.

4 Isamaru ~5
4 Suntail Hawk .25
4 Lantern Kami .25
4 Selesnya Guildmage .5
4 Watchwolf .75
4 Glorious anthem 3
4 Moldervine Cloak .5
4 Faith’s fetters .5
3 Glare of Subdual 3
3 Devouring Light .75

11 Forest
11 Plains

Of course, if you did get more money, you could throw in jitte, savannah lions, and temple gardens... but the deck is okay without them.
c3poquino
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 pm
Those prices seem a little off... Think
Savannah Lions is better in that slot than Isamaru, Hound of Konda, since it’s not legendary. And bro’, you use waaaaaay too much player’s sets, sometimes it’s better to use 3, or even 2 copies of different cards, so your deck is more versatile. You could use the rest of the player’s set on the side-board, if you wish to.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:08 pm
prices = trade values. Probably higher in cash.

Anyways, I urge you to try the deck out. Using playsets is a great way to build a consistant deck.

The reason I opted not to use savannah lions is they have an annoying tendency to die to sakura-tribe elders etc. I chose Isamaru and flyers at the one slot purposely to have more creatures to tap them down with glare or get more through with anthem.

You can also build Orzhov for 50$ or less...

3 Isamaru
4 Dark Confidant
4 Suntail Hawk
4 Ravenous Rats
4 Shreiking Grotesque
4 Castigate
4 Mortify
4 Last gasp
2 Ghost Council of Orzhova (price constraints)
4 Hand of Honor/Cruelty

23 land
r2d2quino
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:58 pm
This build costs more than 50 dollars here on Cobra Cards. Have you found a cheaper site?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:00 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I think he means trade value...
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:46 pm
like I said, those prices are trade values. I usually piece decks together little by little from people I see in person and buy the last few from stores to finish it off, personally, so I think of everything in trade values.
physcosick
Posted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:59 pm
I think of everything in trade value as well, it helps when places over value cards...

The problem with that is different places have different prices. For example, duals where i am are going for 10-15 but I have friends from other parts of the country where they go from 14-19.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion