LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
54%
  [ 6 ]  54%

36%
  [ 4 ]  36%

9%
  [ 1 ]  9%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 11
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:15 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Durin strength 16, add in Flurry of blows and he becomes strength 20. Another Flurry of blows ties him with the DL. Then, any strength boost works. And with Proud and Able, Sauron’s toast.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:17 pm
Three strength boosts in one site? I don’t see that many decks (besides elvents) that use a ton of skirmish pumps. Sure, that would take care of sauron for ONE site, but could you pull that off for six sites?
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
PorterTroll
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:56 pm
elf lvr wrote:
Durin beats up sauron? Think The most base strength I’ve ever seen Durin have IN AN ACUTAL GAME is 16-17. Still needs a lot of pumps to trump the dark lord.

My Durin can get to strength 19 damage +8 Wink and my grimborn to strength 26 (with mountain troll, and i have 3 of em!) Very Happy
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:19 pm
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
AC, I think you’ll still run into twilight troubles with Sauron, especially against Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom. But you are right that he’s cheap to play with Gollum, Stinker and Captured by the Ring.

I’ve tested the deck out, and I haven’t really had any problems so far with playing Sauron.
Quote:
However...how do you exactly plan to win skirmishes with Gollum, Stinker? I don’t see a single card to boost his strength or wound his opponent to death.

He’ll be a decent strength (at least 10) once several burdens get added, and with Enquea taking out their strong companions, Gollum will have a chance at winning. If they do beat him, it may mean that they have a lesser chance of defeating Sauron.
Quote:
I disagree with your statement, when you refer to the Dwarf match-up, of "you should be able to manipulate the site path enough to add lots of burdens and exert all their companions." Do some simple math...Neekerbreekers’ Bog and Courtyard parapet only trigger when the fellowship moves to them. So...to get 5 burdens, you’d have to bring back Courtyard Parapet 5 times, thus at Site 6. Which only lets you use Neekerbreekers’ Bog three times. That’s not enouch to "exert all their companions". So Durin still lives, and beats up on Sauron. Enquea can’t work his magic until much later, and the dwarves live on. And if it’s Site 6 or 7 we’re talking about...your Freeps might not last that long.

You do have a point. But this deck doesn’t usually win at the early sites - most of my wins are in Region 3.

And like EL said, Durin may beat up Sauron a couple times, but I can play him multiple times fairly easily, and eventually Durin is bound to fall.
Quote:
Finally, I think you should make it a little more interesting to read. Use some humor, some color...after all, it may be a Strategy Article, but it’s also a Strategy Article.

Hmm... I just think my style of writing doesn’t use much humour. I just write the way that feels natural to me.

Still, thanks for the review!
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:37 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
another great AC article you get a 4 or 5 (i haven’t decided yet) I first heard of this combo in an article on D but yours really fleshed ti out.

great job!
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:17 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Final gripe: where’s the Knights match-up? That one is actually the most dangerous to this deck. Fourth Level + Citadel of the Stars kills Sauron, and Sweeter Meats can’t ever kick in. Not to mention that a couple of First Level disables Gollum, Stinker from adding burdens, and stops Not Yet Vanquished and Incited.

So, I’d like to see how you handle knights.

BTW, how would your freeps fare against heavy corruption? Would it make it to Region 3?
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:57 am
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
Final gripe: where’s the Knights match-up? That one is actually the most dangerous to this deck. Fourth Level + Citadel of the Stars kills Sauron, and Sweeter Meats can’t ever kick in. Not to mention that a couple of First Level disables Gollum, Stinker from adding burdens, and stops Not Yet Vanquished and Incited.

Sorry, I guess I should added the Knights match-up.

Anyways, Sweeter Meats counters Gondor Bow (as you probably know).

Citadel of the Stars is trickier, but since it’s unique, only one copy of it can be in play, so playing one Nazgul at Buckland Homestead can deal with it.
Quote:
BTW, how would your freeps fare against heavy corruption? Would it make it to Region 3?

I think it would do fairly well. Even if I bid 4, I still have 10 resistance left, and Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer can remove a burden every turn.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
SnowBalrog
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:13 pm
Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 63 Location: St. Louis, Missouri
The main thing I’m not seeing: Ithil Stone. It cycles, and you can ditch it to play Sauron for -2? I think you could drop 1 sweeter meats unless wounding is heavy in the meta. Once again, great article!
Marcus: Our Snow Balrog would be a lot more impressive if it didn't keep melting.
Jason: Maybe if we used a little less lighter fluid...?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:49 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
SnowBalrog wrote:
The main thing I’m not seeing: Ithil Stone. It cycles, and you can ditch it to play Sauron for -2? I think you could drop 1 sweeter meats unless wounding is heavy in the meta. Once again, great article!

Actually, it would be -3, wouldn’t it? But yes, SnowBalrog has one neat idea, AC!
I don't like YOU.
SnowBalrog
Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:00 pm
Joined: 26 Sep 2005 Posts: 63 Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Whoops.. you’re right, it is -3. Even better!
Marcus: Our Snow Balrog would be a lot more impressive if it didn't keep melting.
Jason: Maybe if we used a little less lighter fluid...?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest