LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
ingold55
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:12 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
i've been collecting for almost a year, but have run into a problem. should i go for damage or strength? i love orcs; i can get them awesome strength, but not so much damage. where as i also collect uruk-hai. they don't necessarily have as good of strength, but have good damage, and have more chances to use there damage bonuses. i have some pretty healthy orcs that as i said, i can get rather strong. so which should i go for, strength or damage?
if you have any ideas, i would greatly appreciate them. Cool
dwarven_captin
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:21 am
It depends
I think tht the strengh would be best the first thing u want to do is beat the companion so if u could inter twine them both tht wht u should do anything str 10 and up is alright so if u can do tht it should be a good deck. Very Happy
I use moria swarm archery and it kills but just strength or damage is old u should have something like burden adding etc.
Please Help i have no one to play lotr tcg with CRY
LunaticFringe
Posted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:27 pm
To pick a suitable shadow, what sort of fellowship are you using? Does it reliably double and/or triple move? Or is it slow to set up?

Strength shadow halves tend to give you time to build up a fellowship, as you tend to not be required to spend a lot of multiple cards on getting out singular wounds that your opponent feels they cannot cope with on back to back sites. This buys you time for condition or possession heavy fellowships. You will, however, need to work in good card movement.

Meanwhile, a killing shadow which applies multiple wounds on each companion during a skirmish can be an all or nothing proposition- most fellowships can pump around a 12-strength Damage +1 Uruk-hai, so you have to have available pumps of your own to guarantee the beat down. Failing to do that, your opponent can run past you, and so using such a shadow normally requires a fellowship that can run as well. A strong, unpumped group of good guys works better here. And you can plan on seeing a lot more cards in a hurry since you're more apt to empty your shadow hand faster.

It's interesting how the balance works out like that. The fellowship that needs to set up over time requires the shadow least apt to provide him that deck digging capacity, while the opposite is true in the other.
josiah_of_rohan
Posted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:33 am
Joined: 13 Aug 2005 Posts: 723 Location: Indianapolis,Indiana
i have in the past built a mixed deck between uruks and orc
it worked fairly well
use the orc sapper to make events cost nothing then use some good pumps to make companions bite the dust
with this you can have the infinite striength urukhai (sapper + Broken in Defeat Twisted Evil )

~Josiah
my trade ist is here http://trade.mahasamatman.com/Rings/list_show.pl?user=keltnerj
ingold55
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:44 pm
ok thanks. one, no two more questions. you'll find i'm full of these. ok back to subject. i don't play with the new orcs titled "orcs" and the new uruk-hai titled "uruk-hai". i play with "Sauron" and "Isengard" minions. so do i have to play with the new kind of cards, or can i play with the kind that aren't so new? and my other question is; are you ready? are you really ready? are you really really ready? ok here it is how do you play with the new decipher cards, the kind that don't have signats but the kind with i think it is resistance?
Cobra
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:41 pm
This game isn't quite as complicated as you're trying to make it... Laughing

You can play with any cards you want, old or new. Restrictions only come into play when you compete in sanctioned tournaments. Most tournaments are "Standard format," which currently includes everything EXCEPT the Fellowship block (sets 1-3).

The old "signet" characters and the new "resistance" characters work pretty much the same. The only rule to remember is that if a character does NOT have a printed resistance number, it is assumed to have a resistance of 6.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
ingold55
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:18 pm
i wasn't trying to make it sound more difficult than it is. i just wanted to know how to play with resistence. sorry i didn't make it sound that way.
Cobra
Posted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:57 pm
My mistake. Smile Here's a better explanation:

A character's resistance is either printed on the card, or if not printed, is assumed to be 6.

Certain cards can add or subtract resistance points. Each burden also subtracts 1 from the resistance of each companion.

If the Ring-bearer has zero resistance, he is corrupted. Apart from that rule, resistance is only used when a card specifically targets it. (Some examples: G for Grand, Ulaire Cantea Black Assassin, Isildur Heir of Elendil, Neekerbreeker's Bog.)
ingold55
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:11 am
bear with me hear, i can be a slow learner. Laughing so each time i add a burden on frodo, i add a burden to another companion. meaning if i have a resistance 3, if three burdens are added while that companion is in play i put that companion in the dead pile?
Cobra
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:17 am
Whoah, hang on! Laughing There are lots of misconceptions going on here, so try to erase everything from your mind and start from scratch -- what do the rules say exactly?

1. Burdens are added to the Ring-bearer only.

2. A companion's resistance is equal to his printed resistance (or 6 if none is printed), minus the number of burdens on the Ring-bearer.

3. If the Ring-bearer's resistance drops to zero, he is corrupted.

So, let's say you have a 10-resistance Frodo (Ring-bearer) and a 5-resistance Boromir in play.

If one burden is added, then Frodo gets a black token on him. Boromir's tokens don't change. Frodo now has resistance 9, and Boromir has resistance 4.

If four more burdens are added, Frodo gets four more black tokens, and Boromir's tokens don't change. Frodo now has resistance 5, and Boromir has resistance 0.

Note that that's ALL that happens in this scenario. Boromir isn't corrupted (only the Ring-bearer can be corrupted), and he isn't killed either (there's no rule that would cause him to be killed.)

Make sense? Cool

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion