LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Planeswalker
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:52 am
--- description ---
This deck is based around ’unblockables’. Maybe it should be called The Unblockables, but being the Pink Floyd fan that I am I couldn’t resist. So here is a saucer full of secrets for you to partake in.
--- end description ---

This deck is based around ’unblockables’. Maybe it should be called The Unblockables, but being the Pink Floyd fan that I am I couldn’t resist. So here is a saucer full of secrets for you to partake in.

17 Creatures

4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Azorius Herald
4 Ohran Viper
3 Elvish Piper
2 Tidal Kraken

12 Spells

4 Farseek
2 Supply / Demand
3 Congregation at Dawn
3 Might of Oaks

4 Enchantments

3 Privileged Position
1 Debtors’ Knell

4 Artifacts

4 Umezawa’s Jitte

23 Lands

7 Forest
2 Island
2 Plains
4 Temple Garden
4 Hallowed Fountain
4 Breeding Pool

The idea is an unblockable Aggro deck that can piper out a Tidal Kraken as early as turn four, assuming the opening hand is right. The unblockables are Azorius Herald, Dryad Sophisticate, and Ohran Viper. Azorius Herald is the only true unblockable aside from the kraken, but the other two are just as well. Equip a Jitte to one of the 2/1 unblockables and it can become a 6/5 unblockable on the very next turn.

Now the very premise of an aggro deck is to overwhelm the opponent with creatures. That takes a lot of manna. This is where ’Timmy’ comes in with his precious Elvish Piper, any creature in hand is put into play for a measly G manna. This frees a lot of manna to play and equip an Umezawa’s Jitte, cast a Might of Oaks (when cast on to an attacking Tidal Kraken can cripple an opponent’s life total), put another creature into play (beside the one that the piper has already put out into play). Either that or tap out to put a Debtors’ Knell, or a Privileged Position into play, which are your first lines of defense against a very harsh and destructive removal metagame.

Which leads me to what I believe is my poorly constructed sideboard.

Sideboard

15 Creatures

2 Adarkar Valkyrie
2 Protean Hulk
2 Firemane Angel
2 Simic Sky Swallower
3 Indrik Stomphowler
3 Trygon Predator
1 Blazing Archon

This sideboard is geared mainly towards a mass removal deck with added notice towards artifacts and enchantments. Removal seems to be this decks biggest weakness. This is why I have added Simic Sky Swallower and Adarkar Valkyrie, who help greatly against targetable destruction spells. This leaves only the weakness to the dreaded Wrath of God or Wildfire spells. Protean Hulk, however, is the perfect creature to be the victim of a Wrath of God, for he can put 3 Dryad Sophisticate, or 2 Azorius Herald, or 2 Ohran Viper, or a Firemane Angel, or an Adarkar Valkyrie (your choice) right into play after the dreaded spell has cleared the board and the hulk is put in the graveyard. Other than that my thinking engine comes to a sputtering stop.

As for the Jittes, which makes this deck a power house, I plan on switching them out for some sort of ’haste for all creatures I control card’ which (fingers crossed) will be in the Time Spiral block. Other than that it’s four cards back to the drawing board once the Kamigawa block has left the Standard (type II) feild.

Thanks for keeping up with me. Let me know what you think. d'oh!
Last edited by Planeswalker on Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:23 am; edited 1 time in total
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:11 pm
looks like a decent deck... except one thing. It looks to me like you won’t actually draw both an elvish piper and a tidal kraken very often. I think you’re better off playing something more like this on that theme.

4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Azorious Herald
4 Ohran Viper
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
4 Ninja of Deep Hours
4 Birds of Padadise
4 Faith’s Fetters
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Moldervine Cloak
2 Might of Oaks

22 Land

Basically I swapped out pipers, krakens, congregation (tempo issues), farseek (no need on such a low mana curve), the enchantments (they’re a little expensive), and supply/demand (it’s more agro-ish now and has less use for this)

FOR

Birds of paradise (faster mana solution, bounceable for ninja), ninja of deep hours (owns), coiling oracle (amazing card advantage, fun to bounce with ninja so you get effect 2x), faith’s fetters (removal!) and moldervine cloak (haha 5 power dryad hitting turn three)
Planeswalker
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:54 am
Great suggestions. I also was having problems with Congregation at Dawn. I couldn’t cast it as the instant it is ment to be. Moldervine Cloak is a superb idea, and Ninja of the Deep Hours Embarassed, I’m embaressed I didn’t see it at first. I was also toying with the idea of birds, but fell in favor to farseek due to the massive creature removal in my meta game right now. With Mr. Deep Hours I feel more comfortable in putting them back in. Thanks for the changes.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:09 pm
no problem, glad to help. Let me know how that’s working and I’ll help you tweak it if it needs more.
Planeswalker
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:37 am
Well I went with your advice:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Ohran Viper
4 Azorius Herald
3 Trygon Predator
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Might of Oaks

22 Land

I sideboarded Faith’s Fetters in favor of Trygon Predator. But I boarded out the 3 cloacks and a viper during almost every second game for the fetters.

The first round of FNM I was paired with a gruul splash blue for counter. His creatures plowed through me early and I was left double chared for a 2-0 loss.

During the second round I was paired against snakes. The predators proved extreamly helpful and destroed a jitte in one game and a Coat of Arms in another. This match I became the victor 2-1.

The third round I killed a Wildfire deck 2-0. That I owe to the opponent’s obvious lack of experience. While I am also a very unexperienced tournament player, only being in five FNM tournements thus far, he had an overal lack of knowledge of what to play and when to play it, which made it very easy for me to win.

The fourth round was the best pairing of the night. I was paired with the resident old school magic player, who played a very cold and caluculating mono blue snow control with the Counterbalance / divining top combo. Each game was very close. I would bring him down within several points of life then the Counterbalance / top litteraly countered every spell I would play. He eventually brought out either a Meloku, or a Rimefeather Owl and overwhelmed me. Another loss 2-1, but at least it was fun.

The final round of the night for me was the most frustrating. I was paired against a W/U weenie control deck. What made it so frustarting was not the counters but the fact that it wasn’t a real match at all. It was a jitte race that he won. A third and final loss 2-0.

Overall I liked the way the deck plays. I pulled of the birds / ninja combo on turn two over half the time. I was also able to ninja back a Coiling Oracle and a couple Azorius Heralds here and there. The Might of Oaks won it for me most of the time.

As for the next FNM...
...I won’t beable to play again until Kamigawa rotates out. So I guess I’ll have to wait until Timespiral for the replacements to the jitte and ninjas. I am thinking of 4 Drelnoch for the ninjas because I like how much card drawing this deck can put out, but am hesitant because of the manna cost. As for the jittes, who knows what time has instore?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:48 am
after spiral comes in, I would advise playing control. As it stands so far, you’ll be lacking jitte, the best agro tool you have next to cloak... as well as ninja, your draw engine. I like drelnoch, but he’s too slow for agro.
c3poquino
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:15 pm
Ohran Viper just as a draw engine is not that great, you know, you could use less of’em. 4 Umezawa’s Jitte, 4 Moldervine Cloak AND 4 Might of Oaks for 4 Dryads is just overkill, keep the Artifact and drop some copies of the others. Faith’s Fetters is the reason because you didn’t win that "Jitte race" you mentioned, keep it in.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:11 pm
Or just bad luck could be losing the jitte race. I’ve won and lost my fair share when I used to play WW equip in post-ravager Mirrodin/K-block standard.

Anyways, I agree on the jitte, cloak, and oaks being too much for dryad. I would take out some oaks... moldervine cloak is too good on other creatures as well, but Might just takes up too many slots in my eyes.

Ohran Viper I like, but I think it would be fine to play 3. It’s a little on teh slow side for drawing.
c3poquino
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:17 pm
Planeswalker wrote:
Well I went with your advice:

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Umezawa’s Jitte
4 Dryad Sophisticate
4 Coiling Oracle
4 Moldervine Cloak
4 Ohran Viper
4 Azorius Herald
3 Trygon Predator
4 Ninja of the Deep Hours
3 Might of Oaks

22 Land

Maybe -3 Might of Oaks, -1 Ohran Viper (put it on the side-board), -1 Trygon Predator (put it on the side-board) and -4 Azorius Herald.

+3 Compulsive Research, +1 Verdant Force, +1 Simic Sky Swallower and +4 Silhana Ledgewalker.
Last edited by c3poquino on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:20 pm
I’m pretty sure this was intended to be an agro deck... which means simic sky swallower and verdant forcea re way too slow. Not that I don’t like them, but if turn seven rolls around and they aren’t dying, you’re in a lot of trouble.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)