LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:59 pm
--- description ---
Meet some of the new cards from Spiral! Old favorites and Wizards of the Coast misleading you are all inside!
--- end description ---
Spiraling Outwards

As the Time Spiral Prerelease approaches, there are seemingly a multitude of playable things looking to come out from this exceedingly powerful set. The question is, which ones are really good and which are not?

This article hits on some major hits and flops you’ll see in Time Spiral. Unfortunately, I can’t write a prerelase article because I can’t be in attendance prerelease weekend (I’ll have something about drafting TS in October, most likely).

White

D’Avenant Healer- this is a big flop. While it looks tempting because it’s white removal, there are far better options out there.

Evangelize- This will become a really huge hit in a wrath deck I’ll sketch out at the end of this article, but it’s uses will be almost solely in White control.

Magara of Corondor- This could make a tri-colored land destruction deck viable. Remember that permanent is a very universally useful term- you can hit not just creatures, but artifacts and lands as well. Karoos? Gone.

Serra Avenger- Unfortunately, I see this as a flop. In general, you’ll want to be playing bombs in creature decks or burn spells in agro by the time turn four rolls around. This just isn’t going to cut it with the increase in power level.

Zealot Il-Vec- Way too slow. Definate Flop

Blue

Ancestral Vision- I have a few problems with this. First of all, there are plenty of blue drawing spells. Why should one that doesn’t hit until turn five be any good? My main concern, though, is if you topdeck this late game, it’s a totally useless card. There is no way, even an overpriced way to hardcast this badboy, and with suspend four, he’ll not help your quest unless you float for sure turn one.

Careful Consideration- Unless compulsive research becomes banned, this is inferior.

Coral Trickster- This will be a heavily played tool because he has twiddle without the loss of a card. At 2 power and two mana cost, he can also be a blue attacker.

Deep Sea Kraken- This will be attempter to be used, but unless a W/U stall deck appears, this isn’t going to cut it. Even if your opponent plays five spells in four turns, this hits on your opponent’s seventh turn, which basically means it should win you the game. Considering there’s no problems removing it and no drawbacks to having it removed, there’s not going to be much play for this butterball.

Draining Welk- This looks to be absolutely insane for a mirror control on control matchup. I think this will pop up in many sideboard because he can counter suspend cards with absurd mana costs and become a two-turn lethal damage beater.

Drifter Il-Dal- I’ve heard a lot of buzz about this guy, but I’m pretty sure that the opposing deck will a) be fast enough to not care and be glad you’re putting in such a huge investment for a small creature, b) be a control deck who likes the fact you’re putting yourself behind in the curve, or c) Be playing shadows who can block and kill this one.

Ophidian Eye- I usually disapprove of creature enchants because of card disadvantage in removal, but if you throw ophidian eye down with flash timing, you’ll eliminate card disadvantage right there. Just make sure it isn’t your best creature you eye, so they are faced with removing the biggest threat from damage or the biggest threat from a draw engine and can’t get both.

Riftwing Cloudskate- This guy is a beast. He’s in my eyes just under playable without suspend… but with it, he’s easily playable. 2/2 flyer haste is worth three mana (see skyknight legionnaire) and boomerang is good.

Truth or Tale- Total flop. Basically, you only can get one of five cards, and not even the best one. I’d like more than that for my two mana.

Black

Assassinate- If this were an instant, it would almost be as good as putrefy or mortify. As is, it’s not even close.

Curse of the Cabal- The problem with this it comes into play turn four, at which point the opponent has four turns to wait until it comes down. Way, way too slow.

Dark Withering- This is great with all the discarding outlets. With the ability to hit artifact creatures as well, withering is pretty universal and with plenty of discarding outlets, it basically costs one.

Liege of the Pit- A mono black agro deck may become powerful in this format because of this 8-damage turn four attacker. While he is incredibly difficult to find a deck for, it’s going to rock out in mono black.

Lim-Dul, the Necromancer- Sorry for all those of you who remember Lim from quotes and things because he isn’t coming into play in any tournaments I’ve seen.

Magus of the Mirror- Unfortunately, this is not going to be effective in any situation. Against control, they’ll be able to wait until they have bomb power and beat your head off from a reasonable life total and against agro, they’ll kill you before you can trigger this fattie.

Nether Traitor- I like this because of one main idea. Haste. Haste is almost always red. When you can start pulling it from other colors, the enemy has to become reactive instead of active, putting you in a position of power. Also, the ability is pretty cool…

Plague Sliver- Wait a minute… your own slivers are killing you. A 5/5 isn’t worth making every piece of the theme I worked so hard to establish turn around and bite me in the butt.

Smallpox- This can have a huge impact in a variety of formats- it seems effective extended control as well as standard. Anytime you can create mass destruction at minimal mana cost, the idea is worth entertaining.

Stronghold Overseer- My theory is that creatures that cost this much mana should basically win you the game. This card certainly does. In a shadow deck, this will push lethal damage as soon as it gets a chance to attack.

Tendrils of Corruption- No, no, and more no. This is creature removal only, not a real corrupt.

Red

Bogardan Hellkite- If you’re playing a red control deck that isn’t running wildfires, this can clear out a massive attack in one card. However, seeing as I’ve not seen a good red control deck not playing wildfires, I doubt this will find a place in standard. Eight mana is too much.

Empty the Warrens- Omgawd. This is perhaps the best card of the set, printed as an uncommon! With suspend and pitch cards about, it’s a good thing this doesn’t have flash. If it did, it would be banned.

Fortune Theif- This is a very comment worthy card. The thing with theif is he stops agro. In a GUR control deck, a shielding plax with him basically makes an “I can’t lose” clause, but the real reason I think this might work is morph. Morph means it’s an instant ability; they can swing with all, confident of victory, and you can flip and counterswing for a win against a tapped out board.

Ignite Memories- This looks like an amazing way to snatch a win from an overbearing control deck. *Hm. Looks like you revealed yosei four times. That’s game.* Against any deck with bombs for the last card in hand, this is a dirty, dirty trick.

Jaya Ballard- How do you spell madness? I spell it J-A-Y-A. Jaya is an amazing outlet for various dark witherings and nightshade assassins. Oh yeah, she can beat agro alone, too.

Magus of the scroll- Here’s a pal useful for when you topdeck a mountain late in a red deck wins just before you run out of gas. “I name mountain Very Happy!” That’s just mean. One for a 1/1 shouldn’t have such a good ability- this is better in the long haul than even mogg fanatic.

Orchish Cannonade- It has draw a card. It’s removal. It’s red. PLAY IT!

Reiterate- There won’t be a use often enough for reiterate to matter, and red shouldn’t be leaving mana open too often.

Wheel of Fate- If you’re playing a suicidal build of red deck wins, this is your dream card. However, given the problem of topdeck late game, this won’t be as amazing as it looks. Also, if you’re playing RDW, you’ll want to do something of relevance turn two…

Green

Hypergenesis- Oh please will you cast wrath of god on me? Oh, pretty please? This is like begging them to get an easy victory.

Magus of the Candelabra- Yes, the ability is marginal unless you play an absurd amount of karoos. But did you notice the 2 in the toughness spot? 1 for a ½ with an ability that may be useful is a keeper, at least for the time being.

Phantom Wurm- Cool card, but it really needs trample. Without trample, he’s not very useful.

Spectral Force- This is far more playable than people think. This works exceedingly well with a certain blue 2/1 morpher.

Anything involving the word thallid- Unplayable. As of right now, you can’t make a full spore deck, so there’s no point in making a half spore, half something else deck.

Unayro Bees- A flying pumpable thing? I’m not playing any that cost three for a 1/1. In green, there are bigger and better beatsticks.

Verdant Embrace- I kind of like verdant embrace. I like playing it on a piece of worthless junk (like a saproling), so I can make a junk generator my opponents won’t want to waste removal on.

Wurmcalling- A Timmy’s dream. Nobody else’s. (if that makes no sense to you, it’s a question of player type from an old article on magicthegathering.com probably the most famous MTG article ever)

Gold

Stonebrow, Krosan Hero- This is playable because scab-clan mauler, giant solifuge, woldsize, and their gruul ilk. The ability on the brow triggers the first turn he’s in play, pushing over the last couple damage. Then, if there’s anything left, he’s a big attacker beating down the next turn.

Saffi, Eriksdotter- Good thing this wasn’t around with the kami dragons. Still, this with a flamemaw kavu really bites.

Artifact

Brass Knat- Oh, if only ninjitsu were still around. 1 for a 1/1 flying is usually a white only thing, so seeing it in artifact form is a strange but good twist.

Totems- They are all unplayably bad. Signets are way, way better because they allow you to accelerate instead of waste turns that you need to be playing spells to have a chance against agro. I don’t need my mana acceleration to block, just accelerate.

Stuffy Doll- Wow. This is a huge problem… indestructable at five colorless mana that actually does something useful that isn’t even difficult to trigger. We’ve got a powerful card here.

Am I missing anything..? Oh. Right. There’s purple cards coming out! Purple cards don’t have an official rarity yet, but it’s rumored something about being approximately half as rare as foil rares (at least for foil purple cards). Supposidly there will be one per booster pack and three per tournament pack in place of a common slot. I cannot confirm or deny this at the day of writing (Sept. 20) but suffice to say the things you will see here have some amazing potential.

Akroma, Angel of Wrath- Holy nuts. She’s back. Time to break out the combo spelled out at the bottom of this article.

Essence Sliver- Now that sliver deck that may or may not be way too reliant of mana fixing actually has a chance against agro.

Soltari Priest- This is one big, bad shadow creature. Two for a two power shadow without drawbacks is good, giving it burn immunity is amazing.

Psionic Blast- Char in blue. This is absolutely sick. As a red card, where burn is the norm, char has hovered around 5-8 in trade value… and now it’s off color. What ever happened to “We’re going to follow the color pie now” junk Wizards has been spouting? Also, Simic beats is now a much more viable agro strategy, and it was already pretty good.

Unstable Mutation- At least the first turn it’s a moldervine cloak. It’s not a drawback until it’s fourth turn in play. This is pretty crazy. Brass Knats with this is a quick way to lump down damage in blue.

Willbender- Just when you thought they were going to color hose blue… this is just rediculous. Absolutely rediculous.

Faceless Butcher- Removal from game, a 2/3 and all for just 4 mana. Mm, mm, mm, mm, mm. Toasty.

Sengir Autocrat- Just when you “knew” ghost husk would never make a comeback…

Avalanche Riders- I can smell the land destruction from here. Cryoclasm, Stone Rain, this beast… this is nuts.

Browbeat- This should not be coming into standard. With this spell, red has access to amazing power. In a cheap little red deck wins, this is the kingpin.

Tribal Flames- As long as Rav. Duals are popular, this will wreak havoc.

Jolrael, Empress of Beasts- This could be a great finisher for green, giving it the swarming power for a final blow.

Thornscape Battlemage- Heck with this white ability- this is a powerful gruul tool for removal and a creature in one.

Lightning Angel- Ouch. She’s back and ready to beat some faces. URW gets a slightly smaller finisher who can actually come down in time to beat agro.

Mystic Enforcer- Now in sideboards everywhere. This beats black singlehandedly.

Mystic Snake- Just when you thought Simic was buff enough…

Shadowmage Infiltrator- And now we see another really good card that requires blue being reprinted…

Feldon’s Cane- Milling is officially out of the question.

Serrated Arrows- This is great for controlling agro early. Turn two signet into this turn three can really slow the opposition down.

Tormod’s Crypt- Apparently reanimation is gone from the format, too…

Desert- Land that removes and doesn’t need sacrifice as part of the cost. Even at such a small increment, it’ll be a tool in any mono color deck you find.

Gemstone Mine- Slivers now can fix their mana bases more easily. A little bit…

Well, that just about does it for cards. But here’s that combo I’ve been talking about.

Turn one: Float Lotus Bloom, play a land
Turn Two: Signet
Turn Three: Wrath of God
Turn four: Akroma

Ouch. Major, major ouch. Did I mention that turn five is save two mana for a remand and three more for a psionic blast? And then your Akroma kills them turn 6 including the blast damage. That’s just way too powerful. About the only thing you can do is hit the poor girl. Or cry, that works too.

Spiral overall looks to be a great set. I’m hoping to build a sliver deck from this, as well as a blue and any other color control deck. See you next month!

Grail
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:59 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hum... This Article was probably written in a hurry (I’ve read your other ones, and this doesn’t seem like one of the best in format), so I’ll not even start on formatting. Now, I think you missed some key cards, and I’ll name just one to prove my poing: Magus of the Disk. It’s the re-rpinting of Nevynrral’s Disk! HOW can he NOT be played?!? He’s ABSURD, in an environment featuring Wrath of God, Sunscour AND Evangelize! Not to mention Devouring Light... Also, the synergy between black control, Leyline of the Void and Livind End. But, as I said, this was probably written in a hurry, so I’ll give you time to edit it a bit.
Also, I believe you are rather "new" to Magic (although not at all a bad player, of course!), so even though you know the cards andhow to play/build, I think you lack a little experience:
Plague Sliver - Sure, he bites. But if you’re NOT playing a Sliver deck, just using HIM, he’s "almost" Rumbling Slum, without the trouble of a second color! He’s a more than fair trade, be aware for mono-black aggro, with Stronghold Overseer and Dauthi Slayer, ifhe really comes back. Even Unholy Strength might make an appearance on this one!
Truth or Tale - It’s almost Fact or Fiction! Now, ok, this is a REALLY underpowered version, but it doesn’t "lose" you the cards, as well, AND cycles through your deck faster. I sincerely believe this will see some play, at least as a 2-of in some decks.
Bogardan Hellkite - I agree with you, but let’s face it: after clearing a board, it’s practically 8 mana for 10 damage, PLUS a 5/5 flying swinger. But, as I said, I agree with you, so far, Red control sucks.
Unayro Bees - If that absurd Green "counterspell" really makes a come-back as a Timeshifted card, well, you have Llanowar Elves AND Rampant Growth as accelerators for heavy beaters (not to mention Utopia Sprawl and land-fetching), why not pack Evasion ones, too? It could be a cool option... Probably not that broken, anyway...
Verdant Embrace - You missed the greatest interaction: Silhana Ledgewalker! I was already working in a GB Husk deck, now this is gonna give it a boost!
Just some nitpicks, though, and small ones, and some advice from an older player who’ve seen a lot of sets... Wink
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:17 pm
I did not miss magus of the disk. He is neither a flop or a great card for me because

1) Wrath of God is way better
2) He costs as much as wrath, but comes into play tapped, giving predicatability
3) They have a chance to creature hate him, which all agro loves. Board clear is best against agro, but it’s a weakness of his.
4) If he sees play, it will be two copies as extra Wraths in control decks who aren’t guaranteed to draw one.

Truth or tale you only get one card. At two mana, it’s time to either play a signet for control, a counterspell, or something more productive than getting your second best of the next five cards.

Unayro Bees- MGA is not playable. That’s the only deck I can imagine him being played, but it’s not a tier one deck.

Verdant Embrace- Ledgewalker is a good call. I personally don’t run ledgewalkers because I prefer watchwolf, but that’s a matter of personal preferance. I’d prefer to have the big, fat "deal with this" than the chip and sneak away if I’m playing agro. Also, I like it on one drops, that they have to now remove, leaving my bigger things to swing in for the win. If you notice, ledgewalker should be good, but hasn’t appeared on any top 20 decklist I’ve seen in the last few months. It’s just not fast enough for agro.

Plague Sliver- He doesn’t hurt opponents, slum does. That’s the huge difference.

While on the Magic timeline, you’re right, I’m relatively new, I feel I have a pretty strong grasp on playabilities in standard and I’ve made some risky calls that turned up well. the current standard format will be far differenet from any yet seen, so I’m not close to claiming omniscience, but I don’t think the experience will matter.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:07 pm
It always does, that’s the beauty of it! Just kidding. You’re right on Ledgewalker, Standard just didn’t have a place for her! Maybe now it will, with Ophidian Eye and Verdant Embrace, it’s one nasty card! Twisted Evil
Who knows, it could be her time now! But yes, I feel sorry for poor ol’ ledgewalker, she could be great, but the, Wizards goes and prints Maulers and Wolves at the same time!
About the Magus, well, are you familiar with Nevynrral’s Disk? It’s AMAZING! It’s not "a worse wrath"! It destroys ENCHANTMENTS AND ARTIFACTS! Oh, did I mention he CAN be regenerated, bounced back to hand or removed from the game (with Ghostway or Voyager’s Staff) in response? You pack Wrath, it stalls aggro on turn, let’s say, 4. You play this guy next turn and set him up (regeneration?), it’s game. You play a GW control, you protect him with that bizarre G counter, reanimate him with that other bizarre W reanimator, and you also get to set him up with regeneration, while speeding him up. Oh, yeah, you also have Caryatid for protection. Pack Hunted Troll, and other regenerative G fatties, and you’ve got a pretty crazy deck. Wink Or, you could pack counters and card-drawers (and that crazy white reanimator thing, if it’s timeshifted), and play WU control. 5 mana could mean game (saving for a Mana Leak, Rune Snag or Remand): Play the Magus at four. Then, next turn, activate him and Voyager’s Staff in response, that’s two (you have 3 for a counter, like Cancel). Then, if you don’t need a counter (or the next turn), activate Academy Ruins, get the Staff back, draw it, play it, etc... (you see where this is going). Problem is packing a punch... You could use Knight of the Holy Nimbus, but your opponent will simply pay the mana for it. Maybe Blinking Spirit? Nah, no haste. Yeah, it’s kinda hard, but you could find a way, even if it means stalling play with this lock until you have enough mana for, say, Ghost Ship or something like it. But of course, you SHOULD pack Wrath in a deck like this, inc ase opponents are playing regen creatures. Think
Well, we’ll see if it sees play or not. Wanna bet some gp on it?!? Laughing (DUDE! I’ve finally found some other use for gp! Let’s make a bet!!!!)
I don't like YOU.
inresponse
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:16 pm
actually, a mono green agro deck has been doing very well on mtgo right now, here is the list:

4 Boreal Druid
4 Skargaan Pit-Skulk
4 Boreal Centaur
4 Dryad Sophiticate
4 Silhana Ledgewalker
2 Viridian Shaman
2 Allosaurus Rider
4 Giant Growth
3 Might of Oaks
4 Moldervine Cloak
3 Blanchwood Armor
4 Scrying Sheets
18 Snow-Covered Forest

I don’t think the Verdant Embrace quite fits into this deck due to the mana cost, and the ability isn’t really too helpful to this deck. I could be wrong though.

La_Sin_Grail:

I think you are definitely undervaluing juzam sliver, as he will be played without other slivers. It makes it difficult to survive when you have 2 out, but when you do you are probably ahead anyways. Also, it can deal damage to your opponent if they control any slivers themselves, and could be a great sideboard card against a sliver deck even in a more controlling deck.

Also, I like Unyaro Bees because it is very efficient at what it does. If it finds a deck, then it could be very powerful. Serra Avenger is an extremely powerful card that allows you to use your late game mana more efficiently, perhaps being only a 2 or 3 of in agro decks, but acting as a great win condition in control decks. Draining Whelk seems pretty weak in a control match up because that is where your cheap counterspells become the most powerful, since being able to cast more of them per turn is key to winning. Expending 6 mana on a counterspell is jut not feasible in this situation. I also think smallpox is underpowered because it doesn’t do anything well, instead it just does a few things poorly. Fortune Thief is not really playable, imo.

And the totems could easily be very powerful. While it doesn’t really accelerate your mana, darksteel ingot was played for its other qualities, and these totems have much better qualities than indestrucible.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:00 pm
I didn’t see any good decks playing ingots, but I wasn’t quite as into it when mirrodin came out; maybe some of the very early decks back then did.

Anyways, I can’t seem to find a juzam sliver...

Bees isn’t going to find a deck- that’s why it’s bad. It’s not a bad card, but because of the way it’s made, there’s no good deck for it. As for MGA, it can’t be doing that well- on the official wizards website, the data for MTGO is found at the "On the tribes of Standard" article, and the only (sort of) mono color deck is snow white, but now it’s starting to splash black. MGA is not in the top 20- it’s winning less than the 20th place deck, which has 0%.

My point with the totems is they won’t be able to swing until turn four. And by that point, the opponent could have a hierarch, a slum, played wildfire, or done any number of other things, including dealt you 20 with Gruul beats, or assembled a tron.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:09 pm
As I said, Verdant Embrace would look cool in a Husk Deck, played on Silhana Ledgewalker. It’s more damage on its own, while adding to your defenses, or offenses if you want. If splashing is a possibility (and well, it IS a Green deck), you could either go the way of Vitu-Ghazi, or that Blue card that gives extra upkeeps (thus, extra tokens). Wink Seriously, Verdant Embrace on some ledgewalkers, Thoughtpicker Witch and other cheap creatures to control their draws and Golgari Germination (and maybe Doubling Season), and you’ve got a pretty fast beating. Only problem is WoG (and similars), although Living End could suffice, as could Bloodbond March. Of course, Magus of the Disk would HAVE to die ASAP!
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:50 pm
My real problem with that is verdant comes down turn four... that means it’s a little bit slow to do much with. Cloak was good because it left open the option of burn turn four, when you need a finish. I guess simic beats could play that combo... I just don’t think ledgewalker is that great.
inresponse
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:58 pm
the monogreen agro deck is played by one guy, joshua claytor, and has actually been featured in that weekly article. Claytor is a magic writer, and built the deck for a contest, and has had repeated PE top 8s with it since the contest.

Juzam sliver is the 4 mana sliver that costs a life per turn, I just didn’t remember what it was called, and it is pretty obviously similar to Juzam Djinn.

Killer Bees could easily find a home in a mid range deck like ghazi glare, and in fact might replace some of the lost legendary creatures, especially since the deck is in dire need of direct damage.

For the most part though, I felt your reviews were on target, but I think you are very wrong on the totems. the creatures don’t have to attack early at all. what makes them good is their ability to develop mana in a control deck as well as provide a win condition. Cards with multiple uses like these often find homes in control decks, especially since they always survive wrath effecs.

but altogether, I thought the article was pretty much good. People are always going to disagree on what is playable, the only thing that makes this article not stand out is that it is simply a review article and doesn’t really tell me as the reader anything. I have formed my own opinions of these cards, and yours don’t help shape mine or another persons. if deck ideas or interesting combos had been explored, then I would be more intrigued. if you had guessed at the format to come based on the power of specific colors and explained your reasoning, I would have been fascinated. instead it just gives me a review of a few of the cards, and not even on the imited side of things.

the akroma bit at the end would have been a nice touch, but it just uses powerful cards together and doesn’t present anything unique or clever.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:23 pm
But Juzam sliver doesn’t cost a life per turn. If he did, I’d like him. He’s a life PER SLIVER per turn to you, which hurts badly in a sliver deck. In a non-sliver deck, I’d rather run liege of the pit as a finisher.

I forgot to mention with the totems that if you are running them for acceleration, I prefer signets, which are more adaptable (two colors vs. one) and come down a turn where it’s okay to just accelerate and you can worry about the beatdown later.

The Akroma bit isn’t supposed to be large or clever. It’s supposed to show the amazing power level of cards now that we can just clear the board and Akroma turn four.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest