LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:08 pm
But doesn’t everything see play in limited? lol.

I could see disk played as a backup WoG- like 4 Wraths, 2 Magus, in Ilvaldi’s R/W control (from real life, not online I don’t think) that actually is pretty powerful. I really think he should splash blue, though, and add some counters and lightning angel.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:34 pm
For those of you who wanted decks, I wrote another article with three Time Spiral decks. That article is written after the whole spoiler finished, so it will have complete T.S. information!
inresponse
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:38 am
I’m pretty sure that smallpox is ridiculous upon closer examination. I thought it cost 3....
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:32 pm
See my problem with smallpox is that you end up somewhat choking yourself as well... With sacrificing a land, you’re helping the faster decks (agro!) and those are the decks sacrificing a creature is good against. Also, against control, you’ll not really care about the creature and it’ll end up being a stone rain that hits you, too.
physcosick
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:15 pm
U don’t understand the awesomeness that is smallpox. In the prerelease it won me several games.

You saying that smallpox is bad cause it might hurt you more, is like saying Death Cloud was bad in mirrodin MBC. There are plenty of artifact mana producers that you can use to not have the land hate be a draw back for you. A lot of black cards have madness so you can just play your discarded card.
Ilvaldi
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:50 pm
Hello

As an MTG player, I’ve been playing W and R for awhile, and from my experience, I would say that Magus of the disc is still something to consider/debate about.

Let me state the pros:

1) He’s disc on a stick

2) his 2/4 stat allows him to endure most burn spells as well as cards like last gasp.

3) He is an additional WoG which gives control players a better chance at stopping aggro beatdown sessions.

Let me state the cons:

1) Too slow, you’re asking for a turn 5 WoG when most of the time, you need it on turn 4. That is, if you did nothing else to stop the beatdown on turn 3, 2, and 1

2)Fetters, sudden death, char, psionic blast. Yeah, He’s pretty much useless if your opponent is capable at doing stuff like that.

3)Because he comes into play tapped, your opponent can prep himself for a way to dodge the attack. Boomerang it, Don’t play anything this turn, etc. He is predictable.

Now one could argue that he gets rid of others such as artifacts and enchantments which gives him a probability of use against some sort of control deck.

Furthermore, you have to imagine that not all players can prep themselves from the wrath of disc and his speed does not necessarily mean he is not playable. When I went to regionals, in three of my four winnning matches, I did not need to cast WoG until turn six or later.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:16 pm
physcosick wrote:
U don’t understand the awesomeness that is smallpox. In the prerelease it won me several games.

You saying that smallpox is bad cause it might hurt you more, is like saying Death Cloud was bad in mirrodin MBC. There are plenty of artifact mana producers that you can use to not have the land hate be a draw back for you. A lot of black cards have madness so you can just play your discarded card.

I never meant to say it is bad, or even that it isn’t good. I just don’t think it’s great. Correct me if I’m wrong, but you can wipe the opposing board of creatures, causing great card advantage with death cloud. With smallpox, you can only kill one. That in itself means you aren’t pulling the card advantage that went along with the board advantage that made cloud powerful.
inresponse
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:57 pm
I would liken it more to innocent blood than death cloud. I had 2 in one tourney I played in this weekend and it was pretty incredible.

I thought the prerelease was awesome, and as always it was really easy to win and I took home TONS of packs. how did you guys do?
c3poquino
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:01 pm
After thinking through, I’m not sure, Ivaldi, see:
"Let me state the pros:

1) He’s disc on a stick

2) his 2/4 stat allows him to endure most burn spells as well as cards like Last Gasp.

3) He is an additional WoG which gives control players a better chance at stopping aggro beatdown sessions."

1)He’s disk in the form of a creature. With Umezawa’s Jitte and Pithing Needle out, people will be playing a lot less Artifact destroyers and a lot more creature destroyers, after all, Krosan Cloudscrapper (or s’mthing like this) is pretty huge.

2)There is a Split Second Last Gasp that gives -4/-4 and Deathmark. There is Psionic Blast. There are Char, Skred and Jaya Ballard. There is Wrath of God, Sunscour and that White thing that removes itself and another permanent from play. Short from Green, every color has some ways of dealing with him, probably maindecked. Since mono-green is not that great, he probably won’t survive.

3)Yes, he is. But he is harder to use, since he’s being expected (after it comes into play).
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:14 pm
Yeah. agreed wiht above. I still think maybe a copy or two, though, just in case they can’t draw that WoG they need.

As for prereleases, I couldn’t go. It fell over a holiday for me, and I spent it with my family. Also, I have rehearsals about 10 hours on Saturdays (when I don’t have 9 am-12 am and yes I mean am) days with rehearsals and competitions. So I usually can’t hit the big set prerelease anyway. However, one of my friends went and pulled enough packs to combine with mine for a Ravnica/Spiral draft I’m hoping to run this week. Obviously this is a makeshift format for the guys at my school, but most of them don’t care about competitive, just fun.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest