LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)
r2d2quino
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:54 am
--- description ---
A deck breaking the rule of four, really crazy
--- end description ---

Thrumming Stone X4
Diabolic Tutor X4
Phyrexian Arena X4
Dark Confidant X4
Brainspoil X3
Relentless Rats x21
Swamp x20

The idea is simple: play thrumming stone, play Relentless Rats and put all of them into play immediately. I was thinkin on adding green, so I could use Bloodbond March, in case I face Wrath of God.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:00 pm
I don’t know that much about MTG, so correct me if I’m wrong, but doesn’t ripple only work on spells? And I don’t think rats are spells...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:13 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Actually, every single card aside from Lands are spells, in the game. So, when it reads: "Each time you play a red spell...", like in Dragon’s Claw game text, it doesn’t matter if it were a Leyline of Lightning (an Enchantment), a Stone Rain (a Sorcery), a Shock (an Instant) or a Magnivore (a creautre). It also doesn’t matter if, for instance, you played Rakdos Guildmage, Tamanoa or Lightning Helix, since those cards HAVE Red among their colors. Also, note that Blue cards like Mana Leak can, for instance, counter a creature you play, since when you play it (and before it comes into play, while it’s on the stack), it IS a spell. So, for instance, Giant Solifuge can be countered (since he is a spell when you play him), but he can’t be bounced back to your hand with a Boomerang. Petrified Wood-kin, on the other hand, can’t be countered (’cause his game text says so), but can be bounced back with an Eye of Nowhere (not with a Boomerang, due to its Protection from instants). I hope I made things clear, inestad of confusing you even more.
So, yes, he CAN do that, and although I think it’s a higly disruptable strategy, it sure seems nice playing with. Maybe it can be bettered, making it a KILLER deck!
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:18 pm
Thank you for setting me straight about that.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
physcosick
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:32 pm
I really don’t see how effective Dark Confidant in your deck when most of your spells cost 3 mana and several of them are 5.

Overall it has nice synergy and it is pretty cool... but very disruptable. I think you will need some testing first to determine whether or not your going to be able to be competitive enough.

The way I see it is you have to wait till about turn 6 to go off... which is bad.

So, you need a way to speed it up and I think Chrome Mox is your best bet. You’ll be generating enough mana to support it’s minor draw back.

Duress is also a very viable option since you should have a very rough time against control. In my opinion, Duress belongs in pretty much any deck playing black and this deck doesn’t appear to be an exception.

Another thing you should consider is running lands like Polluted Delta or Bloodstained Mire since they thin your deck and you will have a better chance of drawing what you need. Again this also has bad synergy with Dark Confidant but i didn’t like conf in the deck in the first place...

Edit: I don’t see there being much Cranial Extraction running around since the biggest decks are currently BDW, Aggro Loam, and Tooth and Nail. Since it is a relatively aggro format you may see some Wrath of Gods but depending on your meta-game it might not matter too much... but yeah get some testing results or something so i know what it’s like.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:30 am
Yes, it’s a simplory build, as it is. But it’d be fun as hell to pay 3 mana for, let’s say, 15 17/17 creatures? Laughing I can already picture the look on the opponent’s face!
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:46 pm
I think Chrome Mox was a great idea! Way to go, physco! Lose those Dark Confidants, you only have to draw a sinlge card anyway: Thrumming Stone. You can even consider losing Phyrexian Arena... Maybe some Cranial Extractions could be nice, so you can get rid of Wrath of God before it sees play. And, of course, Boseiju, Who Shelters All is a must in this case! Hey, physco, can he use one copy of Dark Ritual, too? I don’t see enough reason to not do it, he DOES have twenty-ONE rats anyway, seems like he just got what he needed and crammed the rest with the rats.
Duress? Hum... Not so sure on this one, but could be cool alongside Cranial!
I don't like YOU.
c3poquino
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:30 am
Yeah, I keep telling him this stuff simply ain’t genna work, but he’s obsessed with something he’s read on an article, I think it’s "keep it simple and stupid", or s’mthing like that. Well, I’m off to review and rate the articles, since he told me that gives you guys Gold, and I hope you all do the same once I write mine. Very Happy
Cobra
Posted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:27 pm
Very cool idea. Very Happy

Just as it’s possible for a deck to be too complicated, it’s also possible for a deck to be too simple. You’ve basically got 1/3 land, 1/3 Relentless Rats, and 1/3 ways to draw Thrumming Stone!

As an example, you could ditch the entire card-drawing package and still have extremely solid draw percentages, while opening up some space for mana acceleration and/or discard as others have suggested.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:06 am
Dude, I just had a MAJOR insight! Could I write a Strategy Article on this?!?!? Giving full credit for the deck’s raw idea for you, of course! Please please please pretty please?!?!?! Man, my mind’s boiling!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Extended (Type 1.X)