LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
43%
  [ 7 ]  43%

56%
  [ 9 ]  56%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 16
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:27 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
Don’t think this is an important topic? Don’t even know what this means? Then you should definitly tag along for the ride!
--- end description ---

Table of Contents

1. Introduction
2. The mulligan rule
3. Base deck
4. Mulligan: practical lessons
5. Conclusion
6. Special thanks

1. Introduction
This is a different article, for I won’t discuss how to play a certain deck, post match-ups or describe how to end a game. It’s all about how to start one with an edge. I’ll explain to you about the tricks and secrets of the mulligan, and about judging opening hands, which can heavily swing a game your way.
For those of you who don’t know, “mulligan” is a term meaning “having another chance”, and is common in golfing. “Now what does that have to do with LotR?” you ask me, and I tell you: everything! Just keep reading...

2. The mulligan rule
The mulligan rule was originally created for the Magic: the Gathering TCG (well, let’s face it, pretty much every rule was created for it, after all, it IS the most popular Card Game since its appearance, in the late 80’s), and a lot of Card Games now use it. You won’t see it being put to use in a lot of casual games, but you’re bound to see it on any given tournament.
“Mulliganing”, in TCG language, means re-drawing your opening hand. But of course, everything has a cost (even if it’s a mere strength pump and costs 0...), and in this case, the option comes with starting behind, or in other words, with less cards. Merrick_Hale was kind enough to post the ruling on the Rules Resource, but I’ll reproduce it here anyway:

“Redrawing your hand:

After all players have drawn their starting hands (before the first turn begins), each player (in player order) may shuffle his or her hand into his or her draw deck and draw 6 cards. The cards in the original hand are not revealed to anyone. This redraw may be for any reason. Each player may redraw only once per game. A player who passes on the opportunity to redraw may not change his mind.”

2.1. Mulligan and Lord of the Rings TCG
Now, in Magic, you get make as many mulligans as you want, and each of them only costs one card, but you also only get to normally draw one card per turn, so it’s much more dangerous (and difficult) to mulligan. In LotR, you draw a fair amount of cards every time you reconcile (and you DO reconcile to 8 cards even if you started with 6), so you might be asking yourself: “Why should I care? I’ll replenish my hand soon anyway”, right? Well, while you may be right on your thinking, a bad opening hand could set you back so much that it becomes almost impossible for you to win the game, so it’s VERY important to know how (and when) to mulligan.
As an example, check my Troll Shadow side, from my other article. I actually played a match where I drew my first Goblin on site 7, despite all my cycling. Needless to say, I was trampled that game. However, referencing different decks and giving spread out advice isn’t gonna cut it, so instead I chose a sample (Standard) deck that I liked a lot for us to start working on, with permission from their creators (I also ignored the Site Path, so we’d have one less concern).

3. Base deck
3.1. Free Peoples side: Anarion’s Events, 38 cards (Originally 33 cards. I’ve added 5 cards to it, since the Shadow side I picked had 38.)

Ring-bearer and Ring:
Boromir, Bearer of Council bearing The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

7 Companions:
1 Anarion, Lord of Anorien (starting)
1 Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver (starting)
2 Aragorn, Guide and Protector
1 Halbarad, Ranger of the North
2 Madril, Defender of Osgiliath

8 Possessions:
2 Ranger’s Cloak
1 Armor of the Citadel
3 Ithilien Blade
2 Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow

2 Artifacts:
2 Narsil, Blade of the Faithful

5 Conditions:
2 Invigorated
1 I Will Go
2 Home and Hearth

16 Events:
4 Elendil’s Valor
4 Banners Blowing
3 Rally the Company
3 Pledge of Loyalty
2 Concealment

This deck relies heavily on Anarion’s ability to stroll along the Adventure Path with ease. The main idea is to abuse Anarion, making him defender +X as much as possible while keeping his vitality high, thus killing every minion skirmishing him with a single event. I added Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow, Madril, Defender of Osgiliath and an extra Ithilien Blade, so that any minions that can slip by your defenses can be discarded through the combo (since I needed the Shadow side and the Free Peoples side to have the same amount of cards).

3.2. Shadow side: The Time of Corruption, 38 cards

24 Minions:
2 Spirit of Dread
2 Barrow-wight Stalker
3 Undead of Angmar
2 Candle Corpses
3 Dead Faces
4 Covetous Wisp
2 Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow
2 Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
4 Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One

3 Conditions:
3 Sense of Obligation

11 Events:
4 Dark Swooping Shadows
4 Keening Wail
3 Between Nazgul and Prey

This deck abuses site manipulation with Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders, and the ability of Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One combined with Keening Wail, alongside the new Wraith Collection, so you catch your opponent off-guard and corrupt him. It also packs Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow, for recycling.

3.3. Analyzing the deck
Ok, let’s see what we know about the Free Peoples side, so far. It relies heavily on events and some specific cards, and playing a defined set of them in order, so it’s a failry powerful build, but it clogs up your hand a little.
Now, let’s see what we know about the Shadow side. It relies heavily on events and some specific cards, and playing a defined set of them in order, so it’s a failry powerful build, but it clogs up your hand a little. Hey! What the heck?!?
Now, the first thing you may notice (at least, you SHOULD notice), is that I intentionally chose two sides that have clashing strategies. Both rely on having specific cards in your hand, thus clogging it a little. This is to stress my point: decks MUST HAVE SYNERGY! “So it’s impossible to play a deck like this”? No, but it requires a lot more skill, and here’s where your opening hand gets to play a big part, since a bad opening hand in a high-level match could mean your demise by site 2 (3, tops), or make a match almost impossible to win.

3.4. A side note: know what to expect
When deciding wether or not to mulligan, actually knowing what you opponent is playing may be of crucial importance, so try to learn in advance what you may be facing. I’ll return to that on our practical lessons, and you’ll see how much does knowledge affects your decisions of keeping or tossing an opening hand.
Note that scouting decks in a tournament is forbidden, so don’t try to “spy” on everyone’s decks and take notes, or you MAY be disquallified. However, watching games is NOT forbidden, once you finish yours, and not listening to people bragging outloud about how they won with their Swarms and preparing accordingly is just plain stupid.

4. Mulligan: practical lessons

I’ll now run you through the basics of mulliganing, using some sample hands from the deck above. I’ll use the same scenarios for when you are the Free Peoples player or the Shadow player, to show how much this decision can be changed depending on who is playing first, and I’ll also add a bit of info after some of them, to show you how powerful can knowledge of your opponent’s deck and strategy make you, by refining your judging, making your decisions smarter.

4.1. Going first
4.1.1. Scenario #1
Opening Hand:
1 Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One
2 Sense of Obligation
2 Dark Swooping Shadows
1 Keening Wail
1 Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow
1 Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders

This is the classic example of a terrible opening hand. You’re the Fellowship, and you don’t have a single card to back up your strategy. It’s VERY important to make a double-move to site 3, and depending on your opponent’s hand, you could be easily forced to stop at site 2, losing the advantage you bid so hard to have. This hand should be tossed back.

4.1.1.1. The power of knowledge
Your opening hand is the same, but let’s say you know your opponent is playing a Shadow with very few and expensive minions, or that he’s playing a Shadow that needs to set up early game before he can swing for the win, and you happen to be looking at a 5-6 companions Fellowship. Now, things look different. You KNOW you’ll be able to move to site 3 without worrying, and you have a pretty nice hand (and some twilight) to get you started on your Shadow strategy, so this would turn from an obvious toss to an obvious keep. This is the power of knowledge, and I’ll show how much it can change almost every scenario.

4.1.2. Scenario #2
Opening Hand:
2 Sense of Obligation
1 Keening Wail
2 Ranger’s Cloak
1 Narsil, Blade of the Faithful

This hand has some cards for your Fellowship, but no real power. The Shadow side looks nice, so in some games you could consider this a keep. However, if you don’t know what you’re up against, these cards won’t help your strategy develop at all, and you could be easily killed with a handful of minions at site 3, since your opponent would only need about 5-6 minions, and almost any Orc Swarms shadow can pull this off.

4.1.2.1. The power of knowledge
Now, let’s say you’re playing that same guy from Scenario #1. This is not only a keep, but a better one, since you’ll actually get to draw some cards after you get to site 3.

4.1.3. Scenario #3
Opening Hand:
1 Aragorn, Guide and Protector
2 Ranger’s Cloak
2 Keening Wail

Now, this looks good. You fetch Aragorn via The Prancing Pony (so your deck will have less cards), and you’ve got some pretty cool staying power in the form of multiple companions, and you can even heal some of them! Good opening hand.

4.1.3.1. The power of knowledge
You thought that hand was an obvious keep, right? Well, what if you knew your opponent is running some crazy card-drawing Shadow, with the ability to generate twilight? Or some “rule of 5” hate deck? You’re already giving him a great amount of twilight, and six companions to get him started, and you don’t have a single trick to pull off, you can just take the pain and move along. Also, this means you could survive, but would probably need to keep the other copies of Aragorn and Madril for healing sake, thus slowing you down 2 more cards and losing your Card Advantage (I’ll write an article on this some other time). So, as you can see, knowledge can swing an opening hand either way, making a bad hand good enough, or making a good enough hand terrible!

4.1.4. Scenario #4
Opening Hand:
1 Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
1 Elendil’s Valor
2 Undead of Angmar
2 Covetous Wisp
2 Sense of Obligation

This hand would be a good keep, assuming you fetch Aragorn via The Prancing Pony on site 1. You can load yourself up on threats to kill a minion with Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow if you need to, or you can even sacrifice Aragorn to 2 big minions, although you should sacrifice Pippin first, so this is not very likely to occur this low on twilight. Also, you’ll already be holding one copy of Elendil’s Valor on your hand, which may come in handy if you want to double-move from site 3-5, or from site 4-6.

4.1.4.1. The power of knowledge
Now, this opening hand is fairly good, so unless you are a psychic and can figure out your opponent’s opening hand, there should be no reason for you to toss it back. However, let’s say that you know your opponent is playing a rather weak deck upon starting, relying on a combo set up to start moving, but it’s actually powerful when it does set up, or at least, that it crushes your strategy. Then, slowing him down early game might be the key to winning, since you could have to move slowly late game. Could the Shadow part of your hand do it? Honestly, I don’t see it happening, and you shouldn’t count on drawing what you need so early, so you COULD consider tossing this hand for a better Shadow side, but this would be a close one, very difficult to decide on.

4.1.5. Scenario #5
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
2 Undead of Angmar
2 Covetous Wisp
2 Sense of Obligation

Now, this is a great opening hand, allowing you to move with ease to site 3. This should almost always be a keep.

4.1.5.1. The power of knowledge
As I said above, that hand is pretty solid and should be kept. However, let’s say you know your opponent is playing a crazy Swarms shadow that builds up the twilight pool like none other, and it happens to pack heavy possession removal. In this case, we could examine another aspect of the game: bluffing. Most players tend to forget that LotR is a CARD game, and like every card game, bluffing can really swing a game in your favor. Since players tend to forget this, you should always try to glance at your opponent’s expression (however, if you do it often, or in a very telling way, he WILL start to bluff too), specially since so early in the game his mind will be miles away before he starts focusing, so it’s fairly easy to tell wether he liked his opening hand or not. If he did, draw again. If Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow and Ithilien Blade get discarded, there’s nothing you can do to protect your Fellowship.

4.1.6. Scenario #6
Opening Hand:
4 Elendil’s Valor
4 Banners Blowing

This hand may seem good, but it’s actually a toss. You won’t want to waste your events (specially Elendil’s Valor) early game, and that’s what you’ll have to do to draw new cards, or you won’t pose a threat as the Shadow player, and your opponent will run unopposed, having all the time he needs to set up his Fellowship. Nothing should make you keep such an opening hand, it’s just not worth the risk.

4.1.7. Scenario #7
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
1 Madril, Defender of Osgiliath
1 Banners Blowing
1 Invigorated
1 Elendil’s Valor

Are you kidding me? This is the sickest hand EVER for this deck, fully set up at site 1! Also, note that 6 cards are either companions, possessions, artifacts or conditions, meaning they’ll come down right away, clearing a fairly good space for setting up your Shadow hand. No knowledge in the world should be enough to make you toss this hand back in your deck and draw two less cards, and if you even considered doing this, you still have a lot to learn.

4.1.8. Scenario #8
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
1 Elendil’s Valor
1 Between Nazgul and Prey
1 Covetous Wisp
1 Undead of Angmar

Has some power, either eraly game and late game, since you most likely WILL draw some skirmish events to pair with Elendil’s Valor. Enough to get to site 3, since you’re playing first.

4.1.8.1. The power of knowledge
Your Shadow side does not help you one bit. If you KNOW you’re facing a superior deck on the run, you will want to stall them early on, maybe with a site 2 Enquea for some burdens, so you could want to try your luck again. After all, it’s not likely that you will be killed on the run to site 3, unless your opponent drew some pretty serious combo in hand.

4.1.9. Scenario #9
Opening Hand:
1 Armor of the Citadel
1 Elendil’s Valor
2 Candle Corpses
1 Dead Faces
2 Keening Wail

This hand does not have a lot of potential, and could get you in trouble if your opponent drew well, so you shouldn’t want to try it out and risk it, right?

4.1.9.1. The power of knowledge
Look at your Shadow side. It’s pretty useful, a very nice start for your corrupting strategy. If you KNOW you can survive to site 3 (by this, I mean that your chances of getting killed are VERY slim), keep it. A few burdens early on might just be enough to hold them for a while, so you can get a bigger edge at the race to site 9.

4.1.10. Scenario #10
Opening Hand:
1 Armor of the Citadel
1 Rally the Company
1 Elendil’s Valor
2 Keening Wail

Now, this hand is just cool. Some tricks for Anarion, and if things get REALLY ugly, a defender +1 Madril can take one for the team. Armor of the Citadel early game does not hurt, too.

4.1.10.1. The power of knowledge
An opponent is playing a powerful Sauron Orc Shadow, which means they roam (usually) until site 6, splashed with Morcs for Swarms. You wouldn’t
want to sacrifice Madril, as he will be your best means of survival for quite a while (actually, for the whole game, should you draw Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow), so that would leave you in a bit of a tight spot. Again, trying to glance at your opponent’s reaction to his opening hand might be the key to wether keep this or toss it back, instead of this being an obvious keep.

4.2. Going second
4.2.1. Scenario #1
Opening Hand:
2 Sense of Obligation
2 Dark Swooping Shadows
1 Keening Wail
1 Covetous Wisp

This is a fantastic opening hand! You shouldn’t even think about tossing it back, if you’re playing as the Shadow player first! This has pretty much everything you need to get set up and start burdening away, and it’s not a very expensive opening hand, so you could play some cards even if you got very little twilight. If you considered sending this one back, unless it was because of the apparently high cost, you should study the game more.

4.2.2. Scenario #2
Opening Hand:
2 Sense of Obligation
1 Keening Wail
2 Ranger’s Cloak

This hand packs a good start, on the form of Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One with Keening Wail, and also have some cards for your fellowship side and Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders, so you can do some site manipulating. This hand should always be a keep. After all, it’s not like you’re going to win at site 3 with this strategy anyway.

4.2.3. Scenario #3
Opening Hand:
1 Aragorn, Guide and Protector
2 Ranger’s Cloak
2 Keening Wail

What? You can’t seriously be thinking on keeping this one, now can you? You have no threats whatsoever, they’re just getting a free walk to site 3, which would be ok if you were at least helping your Shadow side set up, but that just ain’t happenning, you’ll have to rely on some serious quality card-drawing to start posing a threat.

4.2.3.1. The power of knowledge
If your opponent is playing a deck that either gives away lots of twilight (Ents?), or that sets up slowly, and you know this means you’d be able to outrun him sooner or later, you could consider keeping this one, as it already packs a good amount of Free Peoples cards to get you alive to site 3. However, on the other hand, you’d have to consider that you’re giving him the chance to play out all his Free Peoples cards, and replenish his hand, so you’d be facing a more dangerous threat on your turn as the Fellowship.

4.2.4. Scenario #4
Opening Hand:
1 Elendil’s Valor
2 Undead of Angmar
2 Covetous Wisp
2 Sense of Obligation

This hand is a good example of a toss, I mean, you don’t even have a single Nazgul in hand, not to mention two copies of a unique Wraith, and an expensive one!

4.2.4.1. The power of knowledge
Assuming you know your opponent is laying all his chips on a Swarms shadow, packing a Dwarven Free Peoples side for cycling (which are terrible at burden removal), you could consider this one a keep, since you have Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow, and an Elendil’s Valor, which are all great tools agains swarms, allowing you to make sure you’ll get to site 3 unharmed, also being cool tools to attempt the 3-5 or 4-6 double-move later.

4.2.5. Scenario #5
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
2 Undead of Angmar
2 Covetous Wisp
2 Sense of Obligation

Same way as above, toss this one ASAP!

4.2.5.1. The power of knowledge
Again, same on the last one, but this time you have an even more powerful tool, that can let you consider keeping against almost any deck, since the Bow will let you kill off some excessive minions on the board, while the Ithilien Blade will let you get rid of another minion, this being a big one, making a double-move to site 3 a breeze.

4.2.6. Scenario #6
Opening Hand:
4 Elendil’s Valor
4 Banners Blowing

What are you doing? Toss this... this THING back and draw again. This hand sucks for both sides of the deck, so no amount of knowledge in the world should make you keep this hand!

4.2.7. Scenario #7
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
1 Banners Blowing
1 Invigorated
1 Elendil’s Valor

Pretty cards, but no Shadow ones! How do you expect to pose a threat, if you’re not even holding any? This should be a toss, if you’re the Shadow player.

4.2.7.1. The power of knowledge
If you know your opponent’s deck is strong, and you’ll need all the power you can gather just to stay alive, than this is definitly a keep! You won’t hurt them at the first 2 sites, and that’s ok, since you’ll be greatly set up with your Fellowship by site 3, allowing you to rush for Site 9 while using your Shadow to hold them off.

4.2.8. Scenario #8
Opening Hand:
1 Ithilien Blade
1 Elendil’s Valor
1 Covetous Wisp
1 Undead of Angmar

This hand has enough to get you started, throwing some early Wraiths at the Fellowship, and maybe adding a few burdens with Nelya, so you could keep this hand without much of a problem.

4.2.8.1. The power of knowledge
If your opponent is packing heavy burden removal, you will need to add as many burdens early game (before he’s fully set up) as possible, so Nelya sure helps out by site-cycling. However, the Wraiths will be pretty much dead against this match-up, so you’ll probably want an Ulaire Enquea in hand to get things moving.

4.2.9. Scenario #9
Opening Hand:
1 Armor of the Citadel
1 Elendil’s Valor
2 Candle Corpses
1 Dead Faces
2 Keening Wail

This is a cool opening hand, but a little twilight demanding. However, the possibility of playing Enquea and Keening Wail on site 2, and then Keening Wail again on site 3 is just marvelous! And, if you’re facing a choke deck, no sweat! Just toss some Wraiths at them!

4.2.9.1. The power of knowledge
Roaming-discarding decks could kick you in the face, supposing you spend all that twilight hoard to play Ulaire Enquea on site 2 and he gets discarded. Against such decks, you could want to start off by merely burdening and site-cycling.

4.2.10. Scenario #10
Opening Hand:
1 Armor of the Citadel
1 Rally the Company
1 Banners Blowing
2 Keening Wail

Cool opening hand. Very well balanced, helps both sides. Could be a keep.

4.2.10. The power of knowledge
What if your opponent was playing with a burden-resistant Ring-bearer, like Frodo, Resolute Hobbit bearing The One Ring, The Ring of Rings? You’d need to site-cycle with Nelya to add more burdens, but, what would you discard? Skirmish events? Sure, those seem like a fine choice, but remember, you’re playing second, so your opponent will have a better Shadow hand... Tough one, huh?

5. Conclusion
I hope you guys liked this article, I think it’s very different, and may be useful for all types of players, specially to the ones who want to play tournaments but are afraid of, since tips like these are never enough, and trust me, in high-level playing (and tournament-playing SHOULD be high-level playing, if it is a sanctioned tournament) a bad/good opening hand CAN swing a whole match in favor of the underdog. No matter how strong a deck is, it’s NEVER invincible, and the right decisions on the right times CAN make up for a lack of cards, as well as can being able to read through the metagame.
Also, note that these were SOME scenarios, using ONE deck, so this takes us to the other conclusion you can take from this article (aside from how much can a simple decision affect the game): you never know enough. I can’t stress this enough, but the only way of getting good at a game is by playing it, so you can learn the nuances of the game, getting better after each match, win or lose (specially when you lose, by the way).
Keep that in mind at all times! Good games, and take "obvious" decisions more carefully from now on!

6. Special thanks
6.1. To Richard Garfield
For having created Magic: the Gathering, thus enabling every other Card Game to be created.

6.2. To Wizards of the Coast
For printing and distributing MTG throughout the world, and creating rulings to balance out the game, which will be "borrowed" by a lot of other Card Games, even if slightly different.

6.3. To J.R.R. Tolkien
For having written one of the greatest stories ever told, by far my favorite bedside book, read it more than 10 times already (and even picked a little Tengwar along the way!).

6.4. To Decipher
For having created and printed such an awesome TCG, which will take a bit of us with it the day it dies (and that day is getting closer).

6.5. To AnxiousChieftain
For creating and letting me use the Free Peoples side of his deck, a pretty powerful build, aside from being a great member of the Cobra Cards’ Community and a fellow Elite.

6.6. To elv lvr
For creating and letting me use the Shadow side of his deck, a funny and innovative build, aside from being a great member of the Cobra Cards’ Community and a fellow Elite (even if still on probation).

6.7. To Conor Brace
For having created such an awesome site, with such a great Member’s Community, that’s got me completely hooked up!

6.8. To you
For having had the patience to read this article through, for your reviews and for your grades.
Last edited by Felipe Musco on Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:00 pm; edited 3 times in totalI don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:25 pm
All I can say is...

DANGIT! COMPETITION!

You insist on not making this easy for me...

Anywho, in regards to your article, obviously, good one (again Rolling Eyes ). It was a very unique idea, writing up a whole article on the Mulligan Rule, but you managed to make it interesting and informative.

Bluffing is an immensely fun part of the game, and a good way to win. I love stopping people from moving by scaring them with cards I don’t have, or making them believe I don’t have anything to play so they give me plenty of twilight on the double-move. I’m glad you mentioned it.

Just a note: I think you mentioned the 4 Elendil’s Valor, 4 Banners Blowing scenario twice, correct me if I’m wrong.

Thank you for using my deck in your article, albeit in a way I never saw coming!
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Gate Troll
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:44 pm
Joined: 15 Aug 2006 Posts: 384 Location: Udun Vale, Home of the one and only... Gate Troll!
elf lvr is right about competion [My article won’t stand a chance
against Felipe’s articles] *sigh*
"Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of the men who follow and of the man who leads that gains that victory."-George S. Patton.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:45 pm
Actually, all the Scenarios are there twice. Once as you going first, and once as you going second, so people learn to evaluate the difference between an opening hand for a Free Peoples player and a Shadow player. Wink
Thanks for the compliment, but I’m pretty sure your article’s gonna rock the basis of this month’s contest, so you don’t have to worry. Also, I’m not sure I’m gonna cut it, I don’t know if the other members will like it.
However, I AM proud to have broken yet another record, by writing the most different (or bizarre, depends if you liked it or not) article yet! Razz
I don't like YOU.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I never even kenw this was a rule where does it say this in the comprehesive?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Cobra
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:43 pm
Love this concept - props for shaking things up! Very Happy

Some of your scenarios seem like a bit of stretch. For example, hands that are entirely Free Peoples or entirely Shadow will happen less than 1% of the time, and as you say it’s pretty obvious what to do with them, so those discussions just aren’t that helpful. More focus on "realistic" hands would be a big plus IMO.

Also, you don’t really need such a detailed Table of Contents/Index for this article. Consider it as a tool people can use to skip to something that interests them. Big categories like "The Mulligan Rule," "Going First," "Going Second," might hold special interest for some readers, but "Scenario #2" certainly won’t. Wink
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:43 pm
It says that at the beginning of the article...
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:02 pm
Yeah, I just can’t make a Table of Contents without all the titles and subtitles, just used to it, ’cause of the Technical Norms for writing Scientific Works...
Some Scenarios ARE a bit of a stretch, I think I may add some more "tough" calls. Yeah, I’ll do it. Probably by sunday about 3-5 new scenarios (tough ones, of course, so that’ll require some thinking) for each part.
To elf lvr: I don’t get it, what’s said in the beggining of the article that you referred to?
I don't like YOU.
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:16 pm
I was actually responding to SoP’s post, cobra just got one in before I did. This is what I was referring to:

Merrick_Hale was kind enough to post the ruling on the Rules Resource, but I’ll reproduce it here anyway:

“Redrawing your hand:

After all players have drawn their starting hands (before the first turn begins), each player (in player order) may shuffle his or her hand into his or her draw deck and draw 6 cards. The cards in the original hand are not revealed to anyone. This redraw may be for any reason. Each player may redraw only once per game. A player who passes on the opportunity to redraw may not change his mind.”
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:35 pm
Added some more Scenarios. Could a mod (or Cobra) Edit the article? It’s gotten to two posts, but I want it to be broken down so that the two posts follow up at the beggining.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest