LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
43%
  [ 7 ]  43%

56%
  [ 9 ]  56%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 16
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:54 pm
I hate myself for doing this but...

5 from me!

I found it interesting and enjoyable (not to mention slightly flattering, since you used my deck).
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:18 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Thanks, dude! No sweat, I said before, your article’s gonna OWN this month (and probably the whole site’s attention, due to its content), so I’m at best trying to get in second. Wink
I don't like YOU.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:25 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
Felipe Musco wrote:
Still, thanks, sop, that’s a pretty darn good grade, considering you didn’t like it! Homage

It just didn’t catch my attention.

oh whos article are you talking about GT’s?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:19 pm
Nope, he’s the one I’m facing for second place, elf lvr’s been cooking up an article. GT’s pretty good, too, considering it’s his first attempt! I’ve read it once, but I only post/review/rate after the second read.
I don't like YOU.
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:51 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
The article is really unusual, and gave a fresh perspective on something I’ve rarely thought about! I liked the way you broke down the one deck and showed what you might draw...although I agree with Cobra that some of those draws you had aren’t exactly probable. Maybe you could put the deck into SDA and get some sample draws that way?

I felt that, after a bit, the article grew somewhat repetitive...not as good as your other article. But I did like the subject matter. So far it’s hovering around a 4 or 5. Good effort on your part!
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:56 pm
Interesting. It was informative, but didn’t hold my attention as much as your previous article. My vote is somewhere between a 4 and a 5.

Oh, and I would condense your Index to the following:

1. Introduction
2. The mulligan rule
3. Base deck
4. Mulligan: practical lessons
5. Conclusion
6. Special thanks
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
bobtheorc
Posted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:36 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
FM: Pretty good article grammar wise, but as it has been said it just wasn’t quite as good.

AC’s version of a table a contentes is better IMHO.
Also as it has been said, the chances of drawing a shadow only hand are pretty slim at best. And this whole rule isn’t applied in most cases, and maybe isn’t quite as helpful or useful for most players to know.
Will vote after you respond.
Very Happy
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:02 pm
I’ve been trying to get SDA to work on my computer, so I could draw sample hands, but I can’t get that wretched program to work.
The all-free peoples and all-shadow hands were a bit "over the edge", to stress out some points, but as you can see, even some of those hands could be useful in the right match.
I can’t really change the Table of Contents, you know, I get actually blocked when I try to do it, because every essay I do for College has to have an Index like that, so I’m pretty used to it. However, I don’t see why the Index would be that much of an issue, it’s just and Index after all.
bobtheorc: As I said in the article’s description, a lot of players don’t even know this rule, so you’re correct in a sense that this rule "isn’t applied in most cases". However, it IS applied in tournaments, and as I mentioned at the Conclusion, this article is also meant to give those players who are "afraid" of tournament-play (I used to be one, for instance) a nudge in the right direction, by making they start to think tournament-wise, and (with the over-the-edge opening hands) feel good about themselves that they might have gotten some right after all. Also, I’ve played about 20-25 tournaments (can’t remember the exact number, would have to break it down and analyze to check), including 5 Leagues, and I’ve lost SOME matches, specially during the Leagues (when I usually got a head start and grew overconfient), due to keeping a bad opening hand "cause I can win anyway". I’ve actually lost a match with my One of a Kind Free Peoples side at site 2, ’cause I drew a bad opening hand and kept it. A guy played one of those 5-strength Uruk from FotR, and I decided to assign him to Frodo so I could heal him with Aragorn later (I was stopping at site 2 so I could play For of Bruinen as site 3), and the guy played a Bred for Battle. Yes, I WAS defeated that way in a tournament, and believe me, when there’s A BUNCH of people around the table watching, it gets REALLY embarrassing. Wink
So, if you’re a casual player, it’s ok to not use this rule very often, but I pay casual MTG and I’ll still mulligan bad opening hands, and I eventually learned my lesson and started doing the smae in LotR during playtesting, since I playtested to play in tournaments, and on those you SHOULD pay attention to this rule...
Did I answer your question? Very Happy
I don't like YOU.
bobtheorc
Posted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:49 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Yes you did and in a post that was longer than some of this months strategy articles Laughing .

Anyway my only remaining thought is that the article stills seems to drag on.
Whereas your incredible Block article seemed to be long because it needed to be long, this one seems like it could have been shorter.
And I don’t know if the inderx really helps that much.The first thing you see when you open the page is a long list of numbers some of which don’t seem important. And the article still seems to lack a little something to make it more interesting or enjoyable.
Still i give it a 4.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Beyo
Posted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:43 am
Ok. I see October winner is already known so I give 5
Time in the universe may be eternal..our patience is not

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest