LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

66%
  [ 2 ]  66%

33%
  [ 1 ]  33%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:10 pm
--- description ---
The return of a killer deck to standard with an unlikely few combos based around husk and a shadow.
--- end description ---

Yeah, he’s back. Nantuko husk is ready to make a showing, even without his best friend, the promise of Bunrei. The reason is nether traitor and his shadowy bretheren. To further explain, though, you will need the decklist.

Husk Strikes Back

4 Nantuko Husk
4 Nether Traitor
4 Dauthi Slayer
4 Bad Moon
4 Plagued Rusalka
4 Teysa, Orzhov Scion
3 Ghost Council of Orzhova
4 Mortify
3 Withered Wretch
4 Dark confidant

4 Godless Shrine
4 Flagstones of Trokair
2 Plains
12 Swamp

Nantuko Husk- Um… well… DUH! He’s black, unburnable, and tough to kill spell (immune to “nonblack” kills)

Nether Traitor- With this and Tesya, he has the text B: Nantuko Husk gets +4/4 until end of turn. You don’t even lose a creature.

Dauthi Slayer- Because you can’t always draw the husk, and he is occasionally killed, this is an outlet to agro your opponent down a few rungs. At 2 power unblockable, he’s on a level with dryad sophisticate, except he can be pumped with bad moon, too.

Bad Moon- If you just can’t find a husk, use bad moon and midget attacks to level your opponent. Even if they wrath, you still have the moon ready to make anything you play a better threat.

Plagued Rusalka- Honestly, this deck needed a one-drop. Oh yeah, that and now nether traitor with Teysa also has BB: target creature gets -1/1. Target creature gets -1/1. The best part is this combo works through fetters unless the fetters targets rusalka, in which case you beat them upside the head with everything else.

Teysa, Orzhov Scion- She makes the Traitor combolicious in so many ways.

Ghost Council of Orzhova- Now that the shoals are gone, Ghost council can only come to play in three copies, but she’s still a way to control a board against other agro, as well as give some extra life chips of you get unlucky with confidant against gruul beats.

Mortify- Utility kill spell/enchantment destruction. Beats glare, kills hellkites etc. that may be in the way.

Withered Wretch- 2 for a 2/2 is nothing to complain about. Neither is singlehandedly owning anything that smells like reanimation with instant speed. Because of this card, flare and flare variants are decent games, not the sweeps flare expect against agro.

Dark confidant- Card drawing is always great, and in this deck, you’ll need to draw as much stuff as you can and drop it as fast as you can. Voila, dark confidant.

Mana Base- Shrines are obvious because they can go tapped turn one into turn two a bazillion different things. Flagstones are infinately better than plains, so there are four, and the rest are all basics. Flagstones fetching shrines is awesome.

I’ll confess, I was going to finish this article, I really was. Unfortunately, I have college apps due (tonight/tomorrow!), 23 hours/week of marching band, and tons of homework. Sorry, guys! I’m pretty sure you can guess the matchups, anyway, loses to Pally/Wog decks, beats agro, glare.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:45 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Hey, dude, no sweat! I know you’re on a tight schedule, and thank you for sharing some knowledge/ideas with our humble community, I’m sure it’ll be appreciated.
Also, since this article is running for October on the last day, and you posted it late at night, I don’t think it’ll have time to beat mine, so you’re automatically second place, so, you didn’t have to write a masterwork to have it running for so little time. But DO edit it later, when you get some time to! Please.
I’ll give you a 3, I hope you don’t get ofended, but as you yourself said, you didn’t put THAT much effort as you usually do. Of course, you HAD your reasons, and I respect that, but I don’t think it’d be fair to let it alter my grading. And, as I have said, you’re automatically second place, so, well, as long as I’m not draining your gp away from you, grades don’t really matter. I’ll rate it so you can officially participate, and then I’ll post some thoughts on it. Back in a minute.
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:13 pm
A few issues I have with the build AND the article:
I think you should hold back a little on the "praises" to Husk as for the "non-killable" part, you see, most kill spells I see people using are Wrath of God, Putrefy, Mortify, Cruel Edict (well-timed, of course) and occasional Chill to the Bone, and he dodges none of those, so I’d cut that part out... I know, silly, but still...
Frankly, I don’t like Dauthi Slayer all that much, I think it could be tossed, but it actually looks nice in this build. I’m not very keen on the Bad Moons, though. I have some issues with Dark Confidant, as you have no way to manipulate your top, have some costly cards, and no way (ok, you have Ghost Council, but that’s not very hot) to gain life. I liked your approach on Flagstones, but you could have explained it a little further, laying out that THIS is a Legendary Land that’s worth playing four, because you can simply play the second one, and go fetch some duals! I also think you should pack Caves of Koilos.
I’d either drop Dark Confidant for Phyrexian Arena, or drop Ghost Council for it, making it 4 arenas and 3 bobs.
Another thing you could do is cut a Teysa (not that keen on legendary creatures) and move the Wretches to the sideboard, and cut Dauthi Slayer, for some Enduring Renewals and Ornithopter (you can always Mortify a Renewal if it backfires). Bad Moon could become Sudden Death/Wrath of God (your creatures would return to your hand anyway), and the rusalka could become Fallen Ideal, essentially turning any creature in an infinite Husk.
I’d like more to play something like this:

4 Nantuko Husk
2 Dimir House Guard
4 Ornithopter
4 Phyrexian Arena
4 Enduring Renewal
4 Faith’s Fetters (mainly for the life-gain)
2 Fallen Ideal
4 Mortify
4 Wrath of God
4 Dark confidant
2 Persecute

4 Godless Shrine
4 Flagstones of Trokair
4 Caves of Koilos
3 Gemstone Mine
2 Orzhov Basilica
2 Plains
3 Swamp

Sideboard:
3 Withered Wretch
4 Castigate
4 Sudden Death
2 Sudden Spoiling
2 Ivory Mask

I’m sorry for having disrupted your decklist to this extent, I began altering a few cards, and it turned up like this...
How did you like this one? I think it has some potential... You could also try more Dimir House Guards to combine flying with fear, and less Enduring Renewals...
I don't like YOU.
Cobra
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:11 am
Good ideas! In comparing the two versions, I’m drawn to La_Sin_Grail’s decklist. Felipe’s list gets into some cards that 1) rely on other cards to work well, and 2) are more expensive to play (and to draw with Dark Confidant). In other words, Felipe’s build turns this into a "combo" style deck, and personally I prefer aggression. Twisted Evil Will have to give this one a try...

As to the actual article, it’s a bit lighter than normal, but still covers the decktype pretty well. (By all means make some edits or add to the discussion when you get a chance!) Four stars from me.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:39 am
Yeah, I noticed that too. Time Spiral has drawn me into a more combo-ish player type, while Ravnica had me at utterly aggresive. Of course, I’m still trying to build a Gruul Beats, so, maybe if I can pull it out, I may become aggresive again! Twisted Evil In other words, restock the Ravnica block, Cobra!!!! Mr. Green
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:38 pm
I’ve actually found my build to be quite efficient at just about everything that isn’t white control, and I’m not sure why you would want to make a husk-based deck into control... I’m cool with the 3 and all, but I really think my decklist is the superior decklist for husk. I’ve played it some, let some friends at it, and let some other forum friends at it, and they seemed to mostly settle on this.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:48 pm
Oh, yeah, I’m not disagreeing on that! The ONLY thing I think could be changed in your build are Phyrexian Arenas over Dark Confidants, to avoid taking an eventual 4 from Ghost Dad. Other than that, that build seems pretty solid. Btw, it appears to revolve around something I never really thought about: do creature tokens get sent to their owner’s graveyard?!? Can I reanimate a token, then? Why not?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:10 pm
Tokens are sent to graveyard... where immediately they are removed from the game. However, because they do "tap" the graveyard, you can use "when a creature is put into a graveyard" abilities (traitor).

I actually chose confidant over arena because I really want to drop husk or Teysa turn three. I’d like to try and run two drops over three drops in general, because the faster I can get this combo down, the faster I win. Regardless of damage taken, I should be able to kill something every turn with husk, either that or pontiff a small army for the win... basically I want to rush as much as I can. that means I have to hit my three drop Teysa/husk and hopefully be in bonus drawing by that point. If husk costs me ten life, I will have probably lost from too many turns anyway.
c3poquino
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:57 pm
Sorry to have been absent for so long! This decklist looks really solid, and I like the aggressive play much better, but I’m also for adding Phyrexian Arena in place of Dark Confidant, enchantment/artifact removal will fall out of favor a little, now that Umezawa’s Jitte is not around anymore. Maybe a 2 on 2 basis? Two of each? This way, your opponent will have to have two different removal spells, or Mortify, on their Main Deck (and you could sideboard 2 more Dark Confidant). I’m missing Caves of Koilos, why don’t you use it?

I can see a sideboard like this:

Dark Confidant x2 (asusming you go for the 2 on 2 plan, if not, 2 Phyrexian Arena if you face a lot of removal or a burn deck, since life-loss can become dangerous)
Faith’s Fetters x3
Sudden Death x2 or Ghostway x2
Fallen Ideal x2
Disenchant x3
Tormod’s Crypt x2
Liege of the Pit x1

Either way, you earn a 4!
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:30 pm
I don’t use caves because I play poorly with them- it’s the mental difference of knowing you’re taking pain every shot. Also, if you really need it, it’ll kill you anyway. I play confidant over arena because I’d rather them use creature killspells on confidant than Teysa/husk, and I don’t want to play arena turn three- I want to play husk/teysa, as they are more important to the deck.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest