LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 2 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
The First
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:47 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
--- description ---
The ideal of "efficiency through simplification" leads this author to build a simple but effective mono-Red deck.
--- end description ---

KISS = “Keep it simple, stupid.”

This is the main principle behind this deck and article. Efficiency through simplification. I’ve made a Gifts deck, a Dimir mill deck, a Counterfire deck and a few other very expensive decks in the past few months and I wanted to make a cheaper and less complicated/tricky deck. One with no expectations and with no pressure on its performance. I wanted a deck that had a natural feeling and was easy to play.

I ran through some ideas and ended up with a very cheap red deck. One that had quite a few 1cc creatures like the Akki Avalanchers and the Raging Goblins. Ofcourse, if you play a deck with lots of 1 and 2 cc creatures, you’ll have to be very, very fast if you want to win with it. You’ll be able to empty your hand in about 4-5 turns max. By that time, your opponent will either have better creatures than you or control the board. That’s why I added one of my favorite T2 red cards: Crack the Earth. This card is very useful on the 1st or 2nd turn to either get rid of a land or a permanent of your opponent (either way, it delays your opponent). You’ll sac a tapped land (Gods’ eye if you’re lucky). I also added the Akki Blizzard-Herder in the original design:

1cc creatures - 12

4x Akki Avalanchers
4x Frostling
4x Raging Goblin

2cc creatures - 10

4x Akki Blizzard-herder
3x Hearth Kami
3x Akki Raider

3cc creatures - 3

3x Zo-zu the Punisher

1cc spells - 12

4x Crack the Earth
4x Lava Spike
4x Shock

land - 23

4x Gods’ Eye
19x Mountain

mana-curve:

1cc : 24
2cc : 10
3cc : 03

I had no problems against my own counterfire deck and even my suiBlack deck had some problems against this first draft untill Umezawa’s Jitte showed up. It plays very controlish on the first few turns thanks to Shock and Crack the Earth. I really liked that aspect of this deck.

Conclusions:

The Blizzard-Herders are not worth the trouble. They ruin your tempo advantage gained by the early game control. Another Hearth Kami and Akki Raider on the other hand are most welcome. Lava Spike is a fun card against control-oriented decks but shouldn’t be put main deck. Lava Spike should be replaced by Volcanic Hammer.

Kiss the Earth : version 2

1cc creatures - 16

4x Akki Avalanchers
4x Frostling
4x Raging Goblin
4x Goblin Cohort

2cc creatures - 7

3x Hearth Kami
4x Akki Raider

3cc creatures - 3

3x Zo-zu the Punisher

1 and 2 cc spells - 12

4x Crack the Earth
4x Volcanic Hammer
4x Shock

land - 22

3x Gods’ Eye
19x Mountain

mana-curve:

1cc : 24
2cc : 10
3cc : 03

I gave my deck a name, added 4 Goblin Cohorts + 4 Volcanic Hammers and dropped the Blizzard-Herders + the Lava Spikes. Dropped 1 Gods’ Eye for a 4th Akki Raider.

This version is a bit faster than my original build and takes full advantage of the early game control. It should be able to get quite a few number of wins against most decks, especially against control decks. It is a very cheap deck, one that can be build by newbies and enjoyed by many. It plays a bit more complicated than Sligh or Boros aggro though. That’s why I think that newbies should be able to also learn a lot while playing this deck.

The sideboard should contain cards like Lava Spike against control decks (instead of the Hammer, just to speed things up), an extra Hearth Kami and maybe some more artifact removal like Shatter (2-3 should be enough). Stone Rain or Goblin King could be a good addition but I would be careful with 3cc spells.

Thanks for reading my article. Hope you enjoyed it.

~ The First
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:21 pm
A Good idea, but you need write some meta, and sideboarding stuff.

Also, with Ravnica out, you will be wanting to splash another color because with shocklands and painlands in T2, you won't need to worry about mana color.

What was there was well-written, but you need to give meta and work up the deck a little more. Best of luck!
The First
Posted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:05 am
No, I don't want to splash another color.

The whole point of the deck is consistency and early game advantage. Splashing colors is asking for trouble with this deck. You could splash another color, but it would become a whole other deck.

I don't think that there are a lot of options for the sideboard. I mentioned a few though.

I do admit that this deck could use some more testing but it is meant to be fun. It isn't designed to take to a tourney so why bother? Go to your friends, take this deck and have fun.

Thanks for the feedback.

- The First
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:16 pm
Seems okay... just a watered down version of sligh. I'm not sure it can fly w/o chrome mox.
The First
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:49 am
T2_Fr33K wrote:
Seems okay... just a watered down version of sligh. I'm not sure it can fly w/o chrome mox.

Indeed, very slighish. Chrome Mox is too expensive for a fun deck and not T2-legal. There are numerous cards that would make this deck better like Ball Lightning and Chrome Mox. Unfortunately, I can't use them Crying or Very sad
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:19 pm
I know, what I was saying is that I don't think this type of deck is really viable in T2 because chrome mox has aged out.
The First
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 6:50 pm
It is decent and can win against other rush decks or aggro. It isn't meant to be competitive though. It is just for fun. I really like the Akkis and other Goblins.

Nothing is cooler than starting the game with a Raging Goblin on turn one, Crack the Earth on a Gods' eye and another 1 cost goblin on turn 2. You'll have 3 creatures on turn 2 while your opponent's resourses are diminished. Very Happy
T2_Fr33K
Posted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:57 pm
I'm sorry, I thought it was intended to be competitive and I was a bit perplexed. Looks like for casual... I'm thinking coat of arms would be twice the fun, though, if you can get your hands on them.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest