LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Fellowship Block
Sensei
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:53 pm
I was looking for some help with some decks and while surfing the net i found these forums. I’ve alrdy looked around a bit and seems like there are some guys here with a lot of experience playing LoTR. I dont have a lot of experience playing tournaments with LoTR, just casual play with some friends. We all have the whole fellowship block x4, so we can build some fun decks. Mostly we play 3 player matches, sometimes a 2 player or 4 player match. We are no rules experts, so if something is wrong with my decks ruleswise (restricted cards, banned cards for example) i would love some advice on how to change it.

The Deck below is my first build deck, playing Elf/Men freeps and Moria Swarm Shadow. The Freeps basicly tries to kill of a lot in the archery phase, using Legolas/Aragorn/Gondor’s Bowmen. You can draw extra cards with Elrond, and Galadriel can be used to heal Elrond for more cards or be used ot heal Legolas for more archery. In most games with 3+ players, i have to win by surviving till site 9 with my freeps, but most 1vs1 matches can be won with a nice Swarm. I am currently considering Uruk-hai and Nazgûl shadow instead of Moria Swarm, as that packs a better punch in multiplayer.

NOTE: i dont know how to make card links on this site. If someone can let me know how in a response would be great. Smile

EDIT: Card links are automatic, cool. Fixed some cardnames
EDIT: found out No Stranger to the Shadows is not restricted or banned, so i included those, as they rock Razz

Sites:

1. The Prancing Pony
2. Trollshaw Forest
3. Rivendell Valley
4. Mithril Mine
5. The Bridge of Khazad- Dûm
6. Dimrill Dale
7. Silverlode Banks
8. Shores of Nen Hithoel
9. Summit of Amon Hen

Freeps(40)

Starting Fellowship:
Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer + The One Ring, Isildur’s Bane
Arwen, Daughter of Elrond
Legolas, Greenleaf

Companions:
1x Aragorn, King in Exile
2x Boromir, Son of Denethor

Allies:
2x Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood
2x Elrond, Lord of Rivendell

Possesions/Artifact:
1x Sting
1x Mithril Coat
1x Bow of the Galadhrim
1x Long-Knives of Legolas
1x Gwemegil
2x Elven Bow
2x Flaming Brand
2x Armor
2x Aragorn’s Bow
1x Blade of Gondor

Conditions:
4x Gondor Bowmen
2x The Splendor of Their Banners
2x The Last Alliance of Elves and Men
1x O Elbereth! Gilthoniel!
1x The Tale of Gil-Galad
1x The Sage of Elendil
2x No Stranger to the Shadows

Events:
3x Double Shot

Shadow(40)

Conditions:
2x Goblin Swarms
2x They Are Coming
4x Goblin Armory

Possesions:
4x Goblin Scimitar
2x Goblin Spear

Minions:
4x Goblin Backstabber
4x Goblin Wallcrawler
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
4x Moria Scout
2x Cave Troll of Moria, Scourge of the Black Pit
2x Ulaire Nertea, Messenger of Dol Guldur
1x Goblin Archer
1x Guard Commander
Last edited by Sensei on Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:09 pm; edited 3 times in total
taipan
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:02 pm
Hello!!! Have a GP my friend. You will have all help that U want here.
So, about the links just write the tittle of the cards correct and the link will appears naturally.
Well your fellowship side is almost classic, there’s nothing very important to add or remove if U R playing only with FOTR block I just have a question:
Where’s The Balrog????
If U R running to swarms, why Goblin Archer?
Wellcome Wink
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:12 pm
I’m not an expert on Fellowship block, so don’t kill me if I suggest some totally stupid things.

The freeps looks pretty good to me, for the card pool you have. My main points are with the shadow.

IMO, you should take out the Cave Troll x2 for Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x2. It will do you much more good in case you need to kill off companions.

I absolutely adore the sneak/undeerdeeps combo, and with 4x goblin armory, it looks like you could generate enough twilight to pull it off. Also, in multiplayer, i think you want to get Goblin Swarms out as soon as possible, so you can re-use minions that you use to swarm one player. So I suggest dropping They Are Coming x1 for another Goblin Swarms. All in all, if I had your deck, here’s what it would look like:

Conditions:
3x Goblin Swarms
4x Goblin Armory
2x The Underdeeps of Moria

Events:
4x Host of Thousands

Possessions:
4x Goblin Scimitar

Minions:
4x Goblin Backstabber
4x Goblin Wallcrawler
4x Goblin Runner
4x Goblin Scavengers
4x Moria Scout
2x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Goblin Archer (or maybe another underdeeps)

You need to use the sneaks as soon as you play them to start putting minions back (except ones for Host of Thousands, like Runners) so you can replay them against other players. Another strategy tip, play all your Goblin Swarms as soon as you get them, and try to spread out your minions amongst them, just in case the freeps player finds a way to discard it.

Even if you don’t like Sneak-bomb strategy, I think Enquea, Host of Thousands, and the extra Swarms would do you good.

I may not be an expert on FotR block, but there ya go. I like the inclusion of Goblin Archer (you face archery a lot, right?), but I don’t think the balrog would help you. When swarming, you don’t need big, strong minions, unless they are GARUNTEED to kill something (like enquea against decks with many companions.)
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
taipan
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:25 pm
Goblin Archer only reduce the Fellowship archery total if you can spot ANOTHER Moria archer. He’s only using 1 archer, EL. Ancient Chieftain will help you more. You don’t need to remove those Trolls, when we’re playing with the FOTR sites, Trolls and Balrogs came to play easy. Moria Scout and host of Thousands is a good idea.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:32 pm
True, they can come into play easy, but what good can they do? They can just go off to a strong companion, and what happens, happens. Instead, I think their twilight would be better used on more cheap minions, enquea, or underdeeps. The point of a swarm deck is to get as many minions as possible on the r-b, after all.

And I’m sorry, I missed that bit on Goblin Archer. So yes, he needs to go. If you NEED a balrog, put one in his slot.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot
taipan
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:36 pm
They will not come into play alone EL. Put some Power and Terror (one of my lovely cards...) and you will bring the Balrog AND thousands of orcs.
elf lvr
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:47 pm
If you could ever play 2 orcs for as less twilight than one balrog, i still don’t see the point. But I admit, Power and Terror is a totally mean card! If you can manage to throw out the balrog at the same twilight cost as a regular orc, it can cause some devastation, and also the balrog can play minons from your discard pile...

Okay, okay, you’ve converted me. You could also find room for the Balrog (probably taking out Goblin Archer) and a few Power and Terror. The only real problem is that to use power and terror, you have to forgo the effect of bridge of kazad-dum, since they are both shadow actions. So to get the full effect, you would have to have more than 3 orcs in hand, the balrog in hand, power and terror, even without shadow conditions, host of thousands, scimitars, and fellowship cards. Not easy to do. A balrog can come in at the archer’s expense (also because he has enough vitality to nearly mimic the archer’s effect), but maybe there isn’t enough room for Power and Terror. Just throw him out with the bridge, and it should be fine.
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Sensei
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:56 pm
thanx for all the quick reply’s, i’ll try to anwser al the questions.

First off:
I dont play the Balrog because i dont really like him tbh. He’s nice as a rly big guy on site 5, but he doesnt stay for site 6 (discard if not underground). The Cave troll does, so i decided to play him instead. Even a single cave troll can stop someone from Doubling to site6.

About the Archer:

I think you guys misread him, or he got Erata, but the cards says: While you can spot another Moria ORC. Not another Moria Archer. So he is actually pretty usefull against those archery heavy decks. I only use him once, and if needed i re-play him via They are Coming.

I gave Enquea a lot of thought myself, as he is pretty nice when you can spot 6 companions. The only problem is that that doesnt happen often. We learned to play around greed, and this also means Enguea looses some of his value. I decided to play Nertea, as he is always a decent minion, with the added benefit of helping a swarm when the fellowship is large.

The extra Swarms look like a nice idea, that might help swarm multiple players. You also suggest sneak/underdeeps combo. I did try it for a while, but i like backstabber’s better myself. True, they dont help when looking at a Aragorn/Boromir +armor, or a Mithril Coat, but they can kill basicly anything else.
taipan
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:57 pm
Now U got the point EL. Is not so easy, but when works, game over.
And if U R worried about archer U can use Balrog + Fill With Fear Twisted Evil
Sorry about the orc text, I really forgot!!! Embarassed
Sensei
Posted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:03 pm
elf lvr wrote:
The only real problem is that to use power and terror, you have to forgo the effect of bridge of kazad-dum, since they are both shadow actions.

This raised some confusion with me. I’m far from a rules expert for LoTR (I also play M:TG, and i’m kinda the local rules Guru for that Razz), but can you make only one shadow action per shadow phase? And what are exactly shadow actions then?

Basicly so far we have just been playing taking cards pretty literally, and we all read the started rules book once. The only thing we sorta know that No Stranger to the Shadows is restricted to one copy per deck.

Now i’m on the topic of restricted: Is there a good place to look for that sorta rules?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Fellowship Block