LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
20%
  [ 1 ]  20%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

1 (Worst)  
40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

Total Votes : 5
inresponse
Posted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:58 am
entwine is different than splice. The mana cost of a spell differs drastically from its converted mana cost. The reason I believe this about converted mana cost is because at States this year my opponent played Ire of Kaminari splicing Dampen Thought. I attempted to Disrupting Shoal the Ire because I was tapped out from previous countering and playing Meloku. My opponent called a judge over and he ruled that the cards converted mana cost was equal to six, not four, so I was unable to coutner the spell.

This deck has no answer to a removal spell. WW/r, Bob the Builder, Rock, Flores Blue, MBC, Gifts, and Wild Gifts all have maindeck removal or bounce that can win them the game by making you lose the game. Dieing to single cards in multiple decks is not a great way to win.

and if you are going to argue about the context of bear, I should point out that the word is spelled "infinite".
edud
Posted: Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:30 am
You can be right about the rules, but I see several things wrong with your plan
Your deck dies to LD really easily. Because you play 4 painland 4 shockland and 4 guildland, you are giving yourself losses in tempo and life that would make you totally vunerable to even one or two stone rains
Anything that deals 2 or more kills your key creature. Sure you can side in counters, but many decks, if not all, MAINDECK creature destruction and would gladly target the only targets in your deck, the guildmage or your 'other win condition' Magnivore, which I also don't get as your deck is half-instants.
Izzet guildmage will NEVER replace psychatog as best creature because
1 it is much more vulnerable to kill (psych is black and can pump itseld)
2 it can't kill opponents randomly (10 turn clock)
3 it requires huge amounts of mana and at least 2 other cards to function

Do you even play Standard, Grail? From your articles it really doesn't look like you have much experience with matchups, and you are even getting the contents of some decks wrong.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:19 pm
Do I ever play standard? Yes. I've placed in JSS when I was young enough, and I built a deck for/with a guy who placed last year. Yea, I play standard. And no, I don't use the slang terms. I say MUC or counterfires or self explaniroty names from decks found on a massive compilation of T8 decks. This ISN'T MEANT TO BE A TOURNAMENT WINNER. IT SHOULD BE FUN. I can't wait until you guys start getting that.

If I wanted to build a tourney deck, it would be probably very boring but good. I would know- I've done it (okay it got second, but it was just the epitome of a good but boring deck). And now I play more casual because it's more fun. I know there's all sorts of decks like boros weenie that just is good, but isn't fun to play and that isn't my goal.

Also, remember when they know what to expect, they can probably stop my combo. But game one, they'll have no prayer.

As for getting cards, I have 24 cards used to get just three, so I think I can manage. And as for mana, it only takes 5, which I don't consider huge exactly... especially with seething song around.

And I am right on the rules. go look for yourselves, I have I think three quotes (or four.?) that all priove my point. And I bolded stuff to save you guys time. You can just read those quick 1-2 sentence explanations of why conv. mana cost doesn't include splice. For example, the entwine thing, I bolded that the mana cost is what's printed in the upper right hand corner. Entwine has nothing to do with it, the bold is the point and the context is only if you really wanted to know.
edud
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:23 pm
sorry, not to be overly harsh, but...

(the combo works. I never said it didn't)
I highly disagree with your comment that this deck is fun (I am interperting 'fun' as a casual games deck) -- if it was meant to be a friendly, even multiplayer, your article is kinda contradictory in giving sideboard options against the top tier killer decks.

Your deck basically sits bake, counters other peoples's spells and ignores everyone until it 'goes off', killing every other player in one hit.

Counterspells, no involvement otherwise in the game, mass killing of other players, and if someone disrupts you your deck will just roll over and die - not so much casual fun for me. Dunno, maybe your playgroup is into that kind of thing.

JSS last year was still MirrodinT2 format, and your wording makes it sound like the ones you played in were even before that -- Gifts and all those other major contenders were on the scene way after that. Did you playtest against current T2 decks at all?
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:02 pm
By casual, I mean it's a deck to play around school (mainly 1v1). I'll show a tourney-style deck in my next article. I just wrote matchups to give inresponse one less thing to nag me about.

I did play some last year- I built that kids deck means I played with it every day at school for about 3 months. But true, I haven't played in anything worth mentioning since Ravnica came out. I do have plenty of time, though; the cards here don't even come out until January 28, so I can't possibly have all the cards before February. At which point, I'm sure new decks will gain dominance and keep it for the season. I'm not so concerned about decks right now, but a few months down the road. I've not seen another deck with guildpact yet.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:26 pm
there any way to delete an article? I've been too slain by the one and two from people who thought the combo didn't work for this to fly. I've got a better idea, anyway... heheheh..
Cobra
Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:48 pm
No deleting, sorry!

There's no problem having multiple articles in the contest at once though, so feel free to post another if you have a new idea for one. Cool
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
inresponse
Posted: Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:11 am
I actually didn't vote on this article, so no 1s or 2s from me
inresponse
Posted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:28 pm
Q: If I splice Desperate Ritual onto Lava Spike and have an Izzet Guildmage in play, is that an infinite damage combo? --Bryn

A: Infinite would imply that everybody else doesn't die at some point thus ending the game. But yes, if you can play Lava Spike with a spliced Desperate Ritual and then copy it with Izzet Guildmage, the copy will give you Red ManaRed ManaRed Mana as it resolves, and you can spend that mana to make another copy of the original spell since it will still be on the stack.

apparently the judge at my states was incorrect.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest