LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
60%
  [ 3 ]  60%

40%
  [ 2 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 5
Shadows
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:05 pm
--- description ---
Legions of orcs...and a stought defence from the men of gondor...
--- end description ---

Legions of orcs...and a stought defence from the men of gondor...

This is a newish shadow side paired with a modified version of my Denethor wounding deck.

So let start with the Shadow. Orcs have always been one of the best cultures in the game at wounding fellowships. Cards such as Hate, Orc Bowmen and Under the Watching Eye provided a swift and unpleasant death for the fellowship, even at the top tier level.

Then in tower block cards such as desert lord, and dead marshes to recover their conditions made this deck even stronger. However with the release of Shadows we said goodbye to the marjority of the orc wounding cards, and a sorely missed deck...until hunters that is, who brought about some very nice new Orc culture wounding cards.

Lets look at some of these key new cards:

Black Gate Sentry - This guy is just plain nasty, especially with a Mordor Scimitar attached.

Black Land Overlord - Remove a threat to exert a companion? i’ll take that thank you very much.

Mordor Scimitar - Gives three strength and exerts whoever fights my minion, all good.

All of these are rather nice cards, but lets look at some support cards for them...

Gollum, Dark as Darkness play him with captured by the ring, and get those threats for the black land overlord. Can also exert and wound the ring-bearer some more.

Scouting Orc - A cheap, one wound minion.

Orc Hammer - 2 twilight for an exerted companion is always nice.

Horribly Strong - Most companions will be woundable just from their bid to trigger this, and this card can really ruin someones day when combined with orc hammer. oh look your eowyn, lady of thilien is dead in shadow, that’s a great shame....

Now we have a basic idea, lets put together a decklist...

Decklist

Shadow:

Total:34

Minions:
Black Gate Sentry x4
Black Land Overlord x4
Veteran War Chief x4
Scouting Orc x4
Gollum, Dark as Darkness x2
Possesions:
Mordor Scimitar x4
Orc Hammer x4
Events:
Captured by the Ring x3
Dread and Despair x2
Horribly Strong x2
Conditions:
Fat One Wants It

Strategy

The strategy for the deck is quite simple. You should aim to play Gollum in the early sites and get their threat up. This has two effects, it gives exertions for the black land overlord, and if you kill a companion then it’s even more wounds.

Gollum also allows us to use horribly strong which can provide some protection against those nasty archery decks, by killing off their key companions before they can shoot anyone.

Play the Hammers and Scimitars on any minion, for the extra exertions, though preferably save the mordor scimitar for the minions who can wound in skirmish as it makes them even more deadly.

If you draw a Black Gate Sentry in your opening hand, it’s generally possible to get a site 2 kill of a companion.

It’s quite simple apart from that, try and get as many wounds as possible on them, and slow them down for a fellowship win, or perhaps kill them.

I’ve playtested this against my dwarves and my Rohan, and both died rather quickly, one of the strengths of the deck is that it does all it’s damage off the abilities of the minions, so possesion or condition discarding are not all together that damaging.

Match-Ups

Elves - Should be quite easy if theyre playing elvents. Who cares about your minions strength when you can kill Elrohir with one Black Gate Sentry and a Mordor Scimitar.

Ithilien Blade - Could be quite tricky. You can remove the threats they add to hurt them though, which is nice, and if you can get enough minions out (not too hard against a big fellowship like theirs) then their IB exertions might hurt them more than you.

Refuge - Ouch. Tons of healing, enough discarding to kill your final strike so they can shoot you. It does add quite abit of twilight, but this is definatley the hardest match-up for you.

Archery - A difficult match up as if your minions are shot up, they can’t use their abilities. If you can hit them hard enough before they get properly set up, then you should be able to hold them back enough to chase for a free peoples win.

Dwarves - Easiest match by far, their Blood Runs Chill doesn’t affect you, and their lack of healing will see them go down fast.

Ring-Bound Hobbits - Their choke, and large vitality can cause problems. However you can probably force them to stop enough to run to the end, thats the great thing about this deck, it’s versatile enough to go for either side victory with ease.

There you have it, a cheap to build, but fun and powerful shadow side.

Now lets look at the free peoples....

Denethor, Last Ruling Steward - Under-costed and a powerful companion, the main part of the deck

Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien - Abit of a no-brainer in a wounding deck.

Legolas, Fearless Marksman - Cycles, wounds and triggers hardy garrison, an all-round great package.

Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow - Makes Aragorn an archer, and can kill of swarms.

Other helpful cards

No travellers in this land - Easy wounding, and makes toast of hunter decks.

For the mark - Kills minions (like Bill Ferny) with pavises, and also hurts corsairs.

Kingsfoil - Provides emergency healing, and can be burnt by Denethor.

Decklist

Total:34

Starting:
Boromir, Bearer of Council
The One Ring, The ring of Rings
Legolas, Fearless Marksman
Eowyn, Lady of ithilien
Companions:
Denethor, Last ruling steward x3
Aragorn, thorongil x2
Possesions:
ithilien blade x4
rangers cloak x4
kingsfoil x4
aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow
spear of the mark
rohirrim mount
coif
Events:
No travellers in this land x4
seclusion x2
for the mark x2
last throw
conditions:
hardy garrison x2

Strategy

The basic premise of the deck is to use Denethor, Last Ruling Steward’s rather tasty text. With his ability you can exhaust any minion in the game, by simply removing 2 gondor possesions from the game. this is an ability asking to be abused so lets go ahead and do just that.

Now obviously the first issue here is that no matter how many exertions we do, we need some way to finish minions off, and to do that we need some wounding. so we’ll start by putting in a couple of archers, and Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien.

The main idea with this deck is therefore to use Denethor and cards like No Travellers in this land to bring minions down. As Denethor is the key to the deck we’ll put three copies of him in the deck. we’ll also play a couple copies of Aragorn, Thorongil as he is a nice strong gondor companion, and it means we can get some exertions easily and also allows us access to Aragorn’s bow, Ranger’s Longbow, allowing for a quick source of wounding.

We’ll also use boromir as our ring-bearer, because he allows us to play Hardy Garrison sooner and he is quite useful for discarding minions for the double-move with his skirmish text, and his cost is less than Isildurs.

Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien and Legolas, Fearless Marksman will be our starting companions. Eowyn is just an all round amazing card for wounding decks, and we’ll build on this by playing a rohirrim mount and spear of the mark on her, to get her to be able to fight 3 minions at once if necessary. Legolas is great, not only does he provide awesome cycling, but he can set off hardy garrison as well.

you should usually bid one, and if you win the bid use The Prancing Pony to grab Aragorn, so that you have a good solid base of companions. you should Never be afraid to play all the gondor possesions in your hand, because they are all cheap, and even if you don’t use them with denethor, they all have useful abilities anyway. One Hardy Garrison is out, it might be an idea to save a couple in your hand to use with Legolas, as with just one possesion you can then kill any 4 vitality minion in the game.

eowyn is invaluable in terms of wounding, and you should Never be afraid of using a couple of the Kingsfoil’s up to heal her, and get some more wounds out of her (after all you have plenty of possesions to spare.)

you should attempt to double-move as often as possible, generally speaking if you have Aragorn’s Bow and at least 4 cards in hand for Legolas, and a couple of possesions other than those in play you should be able to pull off a double.

Last throw gives you the option of the triple, and although it has a high cost, by the time you triple their hand should have quite a few free peoples cards in it already.

Match-ups

Archery - You can make their elevated fire unusable by exhausting their minions, and the kingsfoil can be used for healing. a tough match, but you shouldn’t have a problem winning skirmishes, and you should be able to scrape through.

Bill Ferny - Nuke pavise with for the mark, and ferny is toast, an easy match up.

Uruk Hunters - No Travellers in this land causes them alot of pain, just watch out for an early Ugluk killing Eowyn or Legolas. The new Saruman might make them abit tougher though we’ll have to wait and see.

Corsairs - You should be able to play more possesions than they can discard, and you can sink their ships with for the mark. Just watch out for being swarmed, as if you use Aragorn’s Bow they can load up Ships of Great Draught, and you don’t have great ring-bearer protection, especially if the corsair marauder discards it.

So with the free peoples, you have a fellowship that can make a triple for site nine, or set up the shadow, and a shadow that can grind their fellowship to a halt or just kill them off.

Thanks for reading.

Shadows.
Last edited by Shadows on Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:14 am; edited 3 times in total
TheHobbit13
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:26 pm
Kinda short Think
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:54 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
for the mark is regroup. so ferny could toast it. otherwise a fairly good article, though H13 is right need more meat, add in some of the strategy from the other article. Have you playtested?
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 12:19 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Regarding For the Mark...check out the optional gametext. It can be played in Maneuver if you exert a Rohan man with Resistance 3 or more.

A somewhat short article, but a good job of going through and explaining everything. Nothing new, really...the new Hunters Orcs seem partly to be custom-tailored to wounding.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Shadows
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:02 am
Added in some extra strategy on both sides, and a couple more shadow match-ups. Also made some changes to the Shadow decklist, as Great Cost isn’t really worth the space in the deck IMO.

ratings now?
LeoKula
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:29 am
I liked your approach to the orc wounding deck, it was really creative, although I think it’s more consistent with 4x Goblin Hordes, 4x Black Land Chieftain and a few Black Land Shrieker...

Be voting soon...
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:49 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
much better yep you are right with for the mark whoops.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Loosechange911
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:09 pm
Great deck! I just have one little suggestion. Somehow find room for Steward’s Legacy. It’s absolutely amazing with No Travelers in this Land and Ithilien Blade. You get 2 for 1’s with all the formers and reusable exerts for exerts with the latter.
Turin06
Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 1:44 pm
Nice and original
macheteman
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 2:45 pm
I liked this article. it didn’t really teach me anything though. i give it a 4.

oh, won’t Ring-bound rangers stop black land overlord’s ability?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest