LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats
AldenPond
Posted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:48 pm
I’ve got some friends who wnat to start playing casually, and I’d like to build a few decks to get them started with my old cards. The problem is that I haven’t played in years, (since the last ROTK block expansion came out), and don’t remember what deck types are good. If you have a good movie block deck type, shadow, free, or both. Please post it here! I have thousands of cards, so hopefully I’ll be able to duplicate the decks I like, if not, I can adapt them or buy the cards I need. Thanks in advance!
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:09 am
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I don’t have time to post a decklist, but some ideas...

Besiegers are always a good choice, especially because you use ROTK sites for Movie Block.

Moria swarm is another viable option, although it’s better in FOTR block.

Uruk bomb with Uruk Regular is pretty sweet.

Rangers are a good Freeps, especially with What Are They?

Elf Telepathy with Forearmed is a possibility. You could also work off of the combo between Gandalf, Manager of Wizards, Forearmed, and a Balrog.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
legoles3333
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:03 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
you could try elven archery with Legolas, Son of Thranduil or a gandalf signet deck with Gandalfs, wisdom or a fellowship healing deck with aragorn king in exile and athelas
NBarden
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:13 pm
Hmm.....maybe a hobbit choke? The only problem with Hobbit chokes is that they don’t have Bilbo in the movie blocks. Well....Here’s an idea.

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer

Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Merry, From O’er the Brandywine
Stay away from Pippin, his abilities are kinda weak.

Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs. Remember, you get to discard a minion before the skirmish actually ends.

Mithril-Coat

Hobbit Sword x 2

Bill the Pony

Bilbo’s Pipe
The Gaffer’s Pipe
Frodo’s Pipe

Longbottom Leaf x 4

Hobbit Intuition x 4

Bounder
The Gaffer, Sam’s Father
Rosie Cotton, Hobbiton Lass
Hobbit Party Guest
Farmer Maggot, Chaser of Rascals
Filibert Bolger, Wily Rascal
Old Noakes, Purveyor of Wisdoms

There and Back Again x 2 (indispensable in a swarm)
Three Monstrous Trolls x 3

This deck focuses around Sam, Great Elf Warrior. Rosie Cotton gives him a nice strength + 1 bonus, and the three companions give him a strength +3 bonus, + sting for a strength 9 Sam. Hobbit Intuition can cancel tough skirmishes or give a necessary strength bonus to win a skirmish. Youe extensive Ally system is helpful with Three Monstrous Trolls, for a massive choke. Three Monstrous Trolls works well with Hobbit Party Guest, as he not only heals himself, but can exert to heal someone else. The Gaffer, Farmer Maggot, and Rosie Cotton can provide pretty good healing if your in a pinch. Bounder is necessary, and you might want to add more copies to insure that you can use his text multiple times. Unfortunately, he cannot be healed by the Hobbit Party Guest. The other allies have special abilities you can use. (especially Filibert Bolger, if you run into Sauron). This deck is a little weak, as it is built before the Shie power cards.

Since this is casual play, do you allow cards from other non-movie blocks to be played? If so, number one priority is Sudden Fury. Get four copies and stick it in your deck.

Now for the shadow. I recommend Nazgul corruption/conditions. Here is an idea.

Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul x 2
Ulaire Otsea, Ringwraith in Twilight x 2
Ulaire Lemenya, Lieutenant of Morgul x 2
Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One x 2
Ulaire Attea, Wraith on Wings x 2
Ulaire Toldea, Thrall of the One

Nazgul Sword x 4
Morgul Blade x 3

Blade Tip x 4
Black Breath x 4

Dark Whispers x 4

Ulaire Otsea Blade Tips the ringbearer, adding burdens. Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the one adds burdens with Attea there to help and win tons of skirmishes, while Lieutenant of Morgul shotguns the fellowship. Since we have so mant blade tips and blacke breaths, Lemenya lowers the strength of people by a lot. Morgul Blade blade tips people even if the Blade Tip is in the discard pile. Nazgul sword becomes extremely powerful once you hit high enough burdens, and Dark Whispers makes your Nazgul powerful enough to kill off several companions easily. Toldea is just there to knock off a couple companions in a choke deck. (Toldea exhausted with a Nazgul sword anyone?).

Again, if you can play with other blocks, four copies of Keening Wail is crucial. It exerts your enduring minions and adds a burden as well.

Well...hope I helped!

~NBarden
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:22 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
I think the reason he wants movie block is because he only has cards from FOTR-ROTK, since he stopped playing for a while after ROTK. Also...Reflections is included in Movie Block, right, since it’s in between sets 1-10?

Anyway, something to note about Sting, Bane of the Eight Legs-it can’t discard a minion in a skirmish until after wounds are assigned, and it can’t save the ring-bearer from an overwhelm.

But that’s a good decklist.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
AldenPond
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 1:30 pm
Thanks for the posts! I’ll review the details and ask a few questions in a bit, but I wanted to clarify that, yes, I want movie block because those are the only cards I have (including Reflections), however, other cards are ok. Also, the sites can be from any of the three movies. I’m not picky about mixing and matching. As a side note, has anyone tried to play an extended game that went all the way from FOTR through ROTK in terms of sites? An 18 site game... with a few rule mods. I always thought it could be interesting but never tried it. I’ve got all the cards for that Nazgul shadow, and I do like it, I used to play a Nazgul shadow back in the day... I unfortunately DON’T have most of the cards for the hobbit fellowship though, I may try to get some of them though, it surprised me, but I don’t have as many hobbit cards as others :-/ I’m interested in a moria swarm shadow, will that work with the Balrog or without? I also have watcher in the water and tentacles, multiple copies of the Balrog and most of his related cards, and the Cave Troll of Moria and related cards. I also have huge numbers of Uruk cards (most of my cards, in fact, are Uruk) including nearly every copy of Saruman and his staff, grima, Sharku and his Warg, Lurtz and all his stuff, etc. Thanks!
Loosechange911
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:02 pm
my favorite free peoples side ever pre-shadows was Healing Noble Leaders. The deck was impossible to kill. Here’s a sample version off the top of my head. If you are allowed relfections you can use the RB boromir and elendil with artifacts as well Smile

35 cards

Frodo, Reluctant Adventurer w/ATAR
Faramir, Captain of Gondor
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith

Aragorn, King in Exile x4
Boromir, Defender of Minas Tirith x3

Blade of Gondor
Ranger’s Sword
Knight’s Spear x2
Flaming Brand
Sting
Aragorn’s Bow
Faramir’s Bow
Ring of Barahir

Noble Leaders x4
The Saga of Elendil
Gondor Bowmen x4

Hard Choice x4
Defend it and Hope x4

Ridiculous healing with aragorn, boromir, gorn’s ring and hard choice. Beastly companions with noble leaders and weapons. And great wounding abilities with archery and defend it and hope.

edit: card spelling Smile
Last edited by Loosechange911 on Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
macheteman
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:01 pm
i play a nazgul corruption shadow, and it is fun and effective. the decklist is something like this:

4x ulaire witch king, lord of the nazgul
4x ulaire nelya, ringwraith in twilight
2x ulaire enquea, ringwraith in twilight
2x ulaire otsea, ringwraith in twilight
2x ulaire enquea, lieutenant of morgul
2x ulaire toldea messenger of morgul

4x fell beast
3x ring of rancor

4x it wants to be found
4x resistence becomes unbearable
2x wraith world

3x blade tip
2x lingering shadow (this is a card from the shadows set. it can be switched for black breath, but lingering shadow adds burdens to trigger your nazgul special abilities.)

the basic idea of the deck is centered around twilight nazgul. use it wants to be found to add burdens, and resistance becomes unbearable to make the ringbearer wear the one ring so that wraith world, the witch king and enquea RWIT, all add burdens. your greatest minion is the witch king. he can wound the character he beats, and then the ring bearer twice, making resistance becomes unbearable force the ringbearer wear the one ring much easier. fell beast is irreplaceable. it cycles your hand allowing you to add a few more cards to the deck, and it makes your minions fierce. a witch king with a fell beast has the potential to dish our 6 wounds, 4 of wich are on the ringbearer. I also use 2 strength pumps, to help win skirmishes.

you might want to check out a last alliance deck. that is what i use. it’s fun.
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
AldenPond
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:56 pm
I only have one copy of witch king, lord of the nazgul, but other than that I beleive I have all the cards in this shadow, assuming the black-breath substitute. I have four copies of all nazgul rings, would it be beneficial to, say, include the ring of ire for the witchking? Or any of his weapons, such as the pale blade or his flail?

How does the last alliance deck work? And are there any good dwarf or rohan movie block decks? I don’t have as much for those cultures but I know a couple of my friends will want to work with those cards if possible.
Pipeweed
Posted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:57 pm
AldenPond wrote:
I only have one copy of witch king, lord of the nazgul, but other than that I beleive I have all the cards in this shadow

You can always print cards off the web if you’re playing casually, and then slip them into sleeves with real cards behind them.

Don’t try this at a tourney though Wink
Pipeweed's Haves/Wants: 100 NEW RARES!!
How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love The Cycle Engine
Joe Meets God: A Humorous Article on a Budget

GP http://fxhome.com/userref.php/11923 GP

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » Casual / Other Formats