LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:00 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
--- description ---
An upgrade on the old Magnivore-based deck, with guidelines for the new Standard meta!
--- end description ---

I have always liked control decks. Although I’m starting to grow fond of aggro decks by playing my very own Gruul build (I’ll post it here shortly), nothing pleases more than seeing my opponent locked down, that bored look on his face, as he voidly tries to produce threats, that I easily steer off. And, in this multi-colored meta, what’s best for controlling than destroying lands, right? That very same thought made me play Vore in the old Standard (when Kamigawa was still legal). However, Magnivore is only deadly if you have a full graveyard, which in one-on-one tournament play is but a dream, due to one single card: Tormod’s Crypt.
Is it still possible to make Vore a playable, competitive deck? After putting some SERIOUS thought into it, here’s where I ended up at:

VORE (60 cards)

MAIN DECK:

22 Lands:
4 Steam Vents
4 Shivan Reef
8 Island
6 Mountain

21 Sorceries:
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Compulsive Research
4 Stone Rain
4 Demolish
2 Tidings
3 Wildfire

10 Instants:
4 Boomerang
3 Remand
3 Mana Leak

4 Enchantments:
4 Annex

3 Creatures:
3 Magnivore

SIDEBOARD:

1 Remand
1 Mana Leak
4 Pyroclasm
1 Deep-Sea Kraken
2 Orgg
3 Tormod’s Crypt
3 Repeal

Now, no deck plays Tormod’s Crypt maindecked, and that’s a fact, so we don’t have to worry about it too much on game one. However, losing Eye of Nowhere WAS a huge blow on our tempo advantage, so, how to gain it back? That’s where Annex comes in! Is gives you tempo advantage, WHILE taking it away from the opponent! Not to mention, it makes Wildifires less painful for you, since you’ll be sacrificing lands that weren’t your in the first place. This alone makes it possible for the deck to be less land-heavy. Also, playing Demolish not only makes your deck more "land-killer", but it also helçps getting rid of those pesky signets and Gauntlets of Power that tend to slip past our counterspell barrier every now and then. However, the REAL tricks are on the sideboard.
Pyroclasms and more counterspells are nothing new, they were there all along. Now, one of the beauties come in the form of Tormod’s Crypt, to stop opposing Vores and Reanimators (btw, I play 3 copies because my meta is full of Graveyard-matters decks, if that’s not your reality, you could probably take one out in favor of a fourth copy of either Repeal, Wildfire or Magnivore, to try and wrap things up if the opponent is NOT packing Tormod’s Crypt). Then there’s Repeal. Why Repeal? Why not Volcanic Hammer? Well, Repeal gives you a much-needed tempo advantage against aggro decks, gives you another way to deal with enchantments and even artifacts, as well as helping against Dragonstorm, by Repealing Lotus Bloom during the opponent’s upkeep. Repeal ALSO gives you a card, so, what’s not to love, right? Not to mention, what do you do if you opponent pops out a second-turn Soltari Priest (after all, it IS present in ANOTHER "deck-to-beat", a full playset!)? Or even a Rumbling Slum? How will Volcanic Hammer help against that?
And, to seal the deal, the very soul of the deck for game two, after your opponent boards in all his Tormod’s Crypts, and you board out all your Magnivores, the replacement finishers! Deep-Sea Kraken makes those little innocent spells that your opponent still manages to slip past your guard eve more painful for him, not to mention that, taking that opponents will USUALLY take AT LEAST 2 points of damage from Pains and Shocklands, it wraps things up in 3 turns. Oh, yes, in the advent of it arriving early, it survives Wildfires... Then, the biggest surprises I’ve ever seen! The Orgg! "The O’ Man"! Take a look at it. It’s AWFUL! Or isn’t it? Deep-Sea Kraken takes too long to arrive, unless you suspend him early (and that usually means declining to make a good play, or delaying your Wildfire). Orgg, on the other hand, costs only ONE more mana than Magnivore, and is still pretty strong. "But he can’t attack most of the time!", you might be thinking. And to that, I say: what exactly will your opponent have on the board after a Wildfire, anyway? Or even better! You play him on turn five, your opponent slowrolls a 3-power attacker to hold him back, you you play Wildifiree the following turn! You just bought yourself a nice 3 points of damage, that may come in handy later on!
I’ve been playing this deck every now and then lately, and I have a pretty good record with it. Try it out, Vore lovers, and tell me what you think!
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)