LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
23%
  [ 3 ]  23%

53%
  [ 7 ]  53%

23%
  [ 3 ]  23%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 13
sperzdechly
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:09 pm
OK, interesting idea, but is it in a proper section? Where is any strategy advice in here? My opinion:

1. Ents: with such a big fellowship only thing you can do is run. And this is what the Ents do the best. But this deck cannot run! Drop Radagast follower and Shepherd of the Trees to add real Radagast, The Brown and finish game in 3 moves. Mysterious Wizard??Who use this thing?Put here some serious pump. Hobbit Stealth doesn’t work on a new path (gives only strength bonus), so you don’t need it. Add some Terrible and Evil to finish Enquea, before he kills your main characters. Instead of Orc-bane include some path control to make your run easier.

2. Gimli solo - really unplayable. For a solo deck it gives a lot of twilight (Axe, Proud and Able, Bracers, Lord of Moria). Let’s consider Forestguls. You have o path control, so you’ll se at least 2 nazguls on each site. Nelya, Buckland (no Proud and Able), second fierce Nazgul, Buckland changed to anything. Then you assign Nelya to skirmish, if Shadow player is not stupid, he/she will keep the second one unassigned. This means no Proud and Able and 4 burdens on each site. Sorry, but you’re corrupted. Ninja Gollum, Orc Corruption, Corsairs (4 burden on each site + Grima + Saruman’s Power)...you’re out.

3. Uruk- Hai - nice deck. Probably the only working properly. But nothing oddball in here...

4. Moria tank - this is the most unplayable deck I’ve seen last days. Try to add Gollum and Led Astray - this will give you path control and twilight you’ll surely need.

5. Grimbeorn - strength is not everything. Especially whe you have only one strong companion.

6. Killer Boromir - 90% of decks has condition discard. Heirs of Gondor go to the discard and there is nothing out of mighty combo. And in how many games you were able to play 4x Guarded City at one site??

7. Nazgul Swarm - Forestguls are played in such a way. You can easly play 6 nazguls on a one site (in Standard!). But again - nothing oddball.

8. Moria corrupt - this will not work - I assure you. There is a way to play moria corrupt and win games! You have to play some cheap moria orcs, gollum, dark as darkness and 4x Lost to the Goblins. You play 3 orcs, gollum, exert RB and play 4x Lost to the Goblins - usually ands up with 8-10 burdens at one site (in most games 6th or 7th site). If you play before Courtyard Parapet few times it should be enough to corrupt ring bearer. Of course to set up this hand you have to play super cycling deck (Gloin, No Pauses, No Spills, musters, etc.)

I don’t know what should I give you. You say it’s fun to play these decks...I don’t think so (because most of them won’t work as you would like it to work). It’s fun to play crazy decks, but they have to work in most of games. If it doesn’t work, you’ll get only annoiyed. I don’t see any useful strategy advice in this article. But it is quite consistent and well written...
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:31 pm
Ouch

I didn’t say the decks were playable, I just said they were odd and fun to play. Of course they’re not playable, anymore than Snow White and the Seven Dwarves! (Gimli RB, Dain Ironfoot, Durin III, 4 Dwarf Guards, Galadriel, Lady Redeemed). But guess what, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is fun to play. As is any solo deck. And I have always enjoyed starting tons of companions. And Moria Tank is oddball, and actually is playable. I played it as my primary deck for a couple years and it actually won lots of games! Not tournaments, but it is still pretty playable.

So, how mush effort did it take you to search through the article and find all the problems? It seems that you are trying to find what’s wrong with my article because your still mad at me over the whole CC giveaway issue.

Oh, and BTW, Forestguls vs Gimli? Every deck has its weakness. It doesn’t take a genius to figure that out. Grimbeorn? Swarm. Solo? Corruption. Ents? Greed, Shotgun Enquea, Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin. Uruk-Hai Swarm? Well...a little harder to kill. Moria Tank? Choke. Everything deck has its weakness. Thank you for pointing out all of mine.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sperzdechly
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:48 pm
There is no fun in play, when the deck doesn’t work as you intended to. Most of these decks doesn’t work. It didn’t take me much time to look thier weknesses. Bur if you read my post carefully you’ll find the ways to improve them (not loosing their gist), because I don’t only criticize as you did in some other articles published this month.

I’m not mad at you. I’ve never been. I don’t take internet forum talks seriously.

I didn’t find the one only deck to beat your decks. I mentioned 4 deck types against Gimli. Greed and Enquea don’t work on Ents if you put Terrible and Evil (as I sugested) and Deep in Thought instead of Sleep Caradhras. Swarm isn’t a harm to Grimbeorn, if he’s going alongside other strong companions (in your deck he’s the only strong companion).

And once again I’ll emphasise - I didn’t only point out your mistakes, I showed you a possible solution to them as well. Try to build your decks this way, that they will look as good in the real play as on the paper (or computer screen). Then I won’t find any problems.
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:37 pm
Oh, just so you know, I have played every one of these decks in some shape or form except for the solo-gimli and Moria curruption. (and obviously an extremely modified version of the ents.) And they work. Except for Nazgul swarm, I wasn’t able to get enough to swarm the RB, but I still threw out 4 or 5 Nazgul, which is a lot, off of 8.

Seriously, I don’t want to be fighting you. It seems that you still hold a grudge against me and singled my article out.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
sperzdechly
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:52 am
Man, you’re so...
You can’t take any critique, can you? If I’m wrong, if any of my advices, if any of weaknesses I pointed out is untrue - say it and give some arguments why. Not only "I have played it and you’re wrong" - that’s no argument.

What I can see for now, you’re playing in some really strange meta, where top decks are poor, and strange, weak decks win. Forestguls are one of the best shadows nowdays - look at the top8 of the last championships, look at WCQ winners decks -> half of them are Forestguls. And you’re saying it doesn’t work...

If you were playing Killer Boromir, why didn’t you answer my question? How many times you managed to equip him with possesions and play 3-4 Guarded City and hold your condition on the table long enough to use it?
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 1:20 pm
Its not that I can’t take criticism, its just that your criticizing me for not writing an article suited to your taste. They’re fun decks to play, not because they own every other deck, but because they’re oddball decks.

Okay, the decks and why they work.

Ents are just fun. Starting 8 companions, 4 of them colossal is fun. I admit that it would be pretty easy to kill, but its fun.

Okay, Solo-Gimli I haven’t actually tested yet. That’s why I didn’t include it in the original article. However, hypothetically it could win, especially if you ran a Grimbeorn or Pippin engine to pull off burdens.

Uruk Site control works very well. As a matter of fact, I have played 9 strength 10+ minions with it before. And then sack of the shire finishes of the companions.

Moria Tank actually works very well, and here’s why

The Balrog, Terror of Flame and Shadow is easy to pull out of your discard pile with Host of Moria. As is his whip. So, no trying to get them both in your hand at the same time, you can have any two card combination of Host of Moria, The Balrog, and the Whip. The other Balrog is there to beat Knights, which is the toughest matchup for this deck.

Now, the Goblin Armory engine throws out tons of twilight each time you play a possession. Which is pretty easy with Host of Moria and Goblin Scavengers (Matter of fact, that’s the only reason Goblin Scavengers are in there.) Goblin Flankers can hit hard on the double move, and Goblin Patrol Troop just has a nasty strength. Now, I know this isn’t a top-notch deck, but it is definitely playable.

Oh, and Final Cry finishes off any companions who manage to either beat the balrog or have 5+ vitality.

That’s how Moria Tank works. I have tested it with the Dangerous Gamble combo, and it usually works pretty well...seeing how the whip forced your opponent to discard each card with twilight cost 0-1, so you always at least break even, sometimes it pays off.

Killler Grimbeorn is another deck I’ve played with. Although I wasn’t able to get as many big minions like this deck, I did play with minions like the witch-king, the balrog, Uruk-Hai horde, etc. And it works pretty well. Grimbeorn’s ability kinda halts a double move, making it maybe not the most ideal competitive deck, but it is playable, and fun. I didn’t design these decks to be competitive, simply fun.

Killer Boromir, I usually stack Narsil, Ranger’s Cloak, The Saga of Elendil on him, with several copies of Invigorated and a copy of Stewards’ Legacy. This alone easily beefs him up really high, and then with Heirs of Gondor as the kicker, not the primary pump, he’s awesome!

Um...Nazgul Swarm. Well...I haven’t been able to actually swarm with it, but I have been able to throw out 4-5 tough Nazgul.

And Moria Corruption, well...if there’s a better way to do it, that’s awesome. I did what I could with a limited card pool, and it doesn’t work that bad. Especially when paired with a Freeps that plays cards directly from the deck or stacks cards on top, like elves, and sites like Courtyard Parapet.

BTW, I do play against your not-so-typical decks. To tell you what the top decks in our area are, Ring-Bound Hobbits/Corsairs, Gondor Knights/Sauron Discarding Corruption, and Damage Dwarves/Troll Swarm are the top in our area. And in our entire playing area, only one person has a hunter card.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:34 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
OK both you guys cool off. do you have personal grudges against each other?
its just an article, you don’t have to spend pages and pages going back and forth and end up hating each other.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
NBarden
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:35 pm
Yeah, he got really mad at me because he didn’t like how I voted in Cobra’s contest. (or that I didn’t vote soon enough.)
Last edited by NBarden on Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in totalExclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:44 pm
Nicely written article, NBarden. Like you said, even though the decks are not very effective in tournaments, they are still very fun to play. I give you a 4, no questions asked. Smile
I had to put something here.
Pywils
Posted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:00 pm
i thought that Boromir, Doomed Heir deck look weird/amazing. were you planning on joining him with what ringbearer?

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest