LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:55 am
--- description ---
Restore balance gets some nasty allies in a plan for world domination!!
--- end description ---

Let me begin by saying this is not a normal deck. It’s specifically designed to be freakin’ crazy.

4 Restore Balance
4 Wrath of God
4 Wildfire
4 Izzet Signet
3 Boros Signet
3 Azorius Signet
3 Akroma, Angel of Wrath
3 Bogardan Hellkite
4 Firemane Angel
3 Treasure Trove
3 Demonfire

10 Plains
4 Izzet Boilerworks
3 Boros Garrison
3 Azoriius Chancery
2 Steam Vents

This deck can pull some crazy stuff. Check it out:

Turn one plains, float restore balance

Turn two swap for bounce land

Turn three replay plains, double signet

Turn four no land, wrath

Turn five no land, Treasure Trove

Turn six no land, signet

Turn seven: Restore balance triggers. Discard Firemane angels. No creatures of yours die. You have lands in hand, you’ve now wrathed the board twice, killed all their resources, and most likely, they’ll be facing an Akroma a few turns from now. If you’ve had no good draws, treasure troving for a zillion is likely with massive bouncelands, or maybe demonfiring for maybe three karoos, three "single" lands, and three signets. It’s eleven damage for not much effort.

In any case, this deck controls agro with wrath effects usually turn four and seven. It controls control with massive resource destruction. Signets are immune to balance, and so are enchantments. Pretty sick deck.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:53 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
I’d have to try it out, not very sold out on the idea by the decklist itself. I like restore balance with reanimation tricks, so maybe Resurrection deserves a place in this deck as well. Also, I like Treasure Trove. ALways have, always will. However, it costs a bazillion mana, as you said, so I think you need some other way to draw cards before you find one, so maybe using other drawers, like Compulsive Research (again, synergy with Reanimation), and a smaller number of Troves. But as I said, this is as much as I can say for now, without testing it. Also, I’m used to face off against Balancing Act in Extended, so maybe that’s why I read this decklist with other eyes, expecting something more amazing. But I have to try and focus, keeping in mind that this is Standard, so it’ll be facing Standard decks as well.
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:39 pm
The point behind treasure trove is I can clear the board turns 4 and 7, with lands on turn seven. With a single karoo, I can make them lose their board creature wise and all but one land. Then with land + signets, which are not affected by balance, I can gain a big mana advantage. I needed to draw into bombs, so I added a draw spell that loved having a lot of mana. Also, I can play this any time, as balance does not hit enchantments, either.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:15 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You catually play all those threats from hand? Wow! Couldn’t you combine this with maybe Black for Damnation instead of Wildfire, or you really need the land-killing? Also, couldn’t you reanimate the creatures? Maybe with a Debtors’ Knell (it’s an enchantment...) or Resurrection?
I don't like YOU.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:45 am
Felipe Musco wrote:
You catually play all those threats from hand? Wow! Couldn’t you combine this with maybe Black for Damnation instead of Wildfire, or you really need the land-killing? Also, couldn’t you reanimate the creatures? Maybe with a Debtors’ Knell (it’s an enchantment...) or Resurrection?

If I can get a balance turn one, I don’t need to landkill, but I can’t expect to get it for my only game plan. This deck also works well with wildfire instead, because with no creatures and few lands, you grab a huge card lead playing wildfire.

My original version of this deck had W/R/B with 16 board clear, but I found it was too much. Considering I’m not going to beat D-storm without some sort of landkilling earlyish, I thought fire was better given a choice.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:46 am
Felipe Musco wrote:

If I can get a balance turn one, I don’t need to landkill, but I can’t expect to get it for my only game plan. This deck also works well with wildfire instead, because with no creatures and few lands, you grab a huge card lead playing wildfire.

My original version of this deck had W/R/B with 16 board clear, but I found it was too much. Considering I’m not going to beat D-storm without some sort of landkilling earlyish, I thought fire was better given a choice.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)