LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

57%
  [ 4 ]  57%

28%
  [ 2 ]  28%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
Gagnut
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:47 am
--- description ---
A strategy article based on making use of Desperate Defense of the Ring.
--- end description ---

The Sauron Assignment corruption is my personal favorite of corruption strategies, it lames, maims, and becomes the bane of high strength companions, what do I mean by this, I mean Desperate Defense of the Ring.
Desperate Defense of the Ring is the backbone of the Sauron corruption strategy, the strategy is this, have four of these in your deck, place all of these cards on the freeps player’s highest strength companion, punishment for using that companion from now on. If the free peoples player still doesn’t assign a minion to that companion, use Gorgorath Assassin.

With my deck, which you will see later, I almost always have an engine out, so I just assign Assassin to the companion with all the Desperate Defenses and there, discard 6 cards and add two burdens. But wait, there’s more, if the assassin happens to survive use Enheartened Foe, that means Desperate twice.

There are also other aspects of the Sauron corruption, Thin and stretched is a sure fire way to add burdens, if a ring bearer is assigned, it almost always gets a burden added, and if it isn’t, a burden is added. With thin and stretched, it also forces something else, it pushes the freeps on, if they try to take the game one site a turn, they are going to get one burden a turn, if you put thin and stretched on the 2nd site, even if the freeps moved 2 sites a turn, they would still have 3 burdens added by one card, for an average Frodo, that would be 30% of it’s resistance, the single card that could win the game for this deck is The Ring is Mine, it doubles any burdens that you add.

However, IMHO a deck that is based on burdens wouldn’t be that great, so this corruption deck also controls sites, I’ll start with the Minions of site control:

Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul
This guy is all site control, with enough sites, this guy can kill off fellowships before he is even assigned, the second part is also awesome, fierce minions are key to the Desperate Defense of the Ring card.

Gothmog’s Warg
I know that this isn’t a minion, but this beast coupled with Gothmog, 2 sites, you place down Gothmog, Wound two companions, he is fierce, Strength 17 and Vitality 4 which can help when exerting for Desperate Defense of the Ring and Thin and Stretched.

Siege Troop
This is the only guy that can take control of sites with no strings attached put on Gothmog’s Warg and he might be able to take 2 sites, he costs 8 but well worth the cost, Enheartened Foe makes this minion the Freeps worst nightmare.

Gorgoroth Swarm
A combination that is deadly in the final few sites, imagine if you will, 17 twilight add from companions, and sites, you already have a few of these guys in the discard pile, a beast minions from the past, and your opponent has a few more orcs and trolls to worry about, could replay the assassin.

Gorgoroth Stormer
He adds a burden, what more can I say, put Gothmog’s Warg to add two burdens

Gorgoroth Attacker
Got a lot of sites, get a lot of burdens, might not want him for more concentrated Assignment corruption decks.

Gorgoroth Assassin
I talked about him already, if nothing else, it is a swarm besieger.

Now for my Trolls, these are the beasts of burden for my deck, they take on the big guns, keep the little ones away from harm, and generally make up more than half the fierceness of this deck.

Olog-Hai Of Mordor
This Minion is perfect for stacking, which I will talk about later in this article, at Strength 18 and fierce, it can do major damage, and occasionally bring out the helpers on sites.

Troll of Gorgoroth, Abomination of Sauron
This Troll is the ultimate beast, with 5 engines, he costs 0 nada, dream of every player, getting a 14 strength minion out for nothing, troll swarm is rare, but can work with this minion and Gorgorath Swarm can use him twice, another combo, use Troll of Gorgorath to stack your minions on sites, the next turn play Olog-Hai Of Mordor for -2 for each minion stacked on a site.

Great Hill Troll
Just a great high strength minion, the twilight reduction can help also

Sauron, The Lord of the Rings
The most powerful minion in the game, combined with site control and burdens makes this minion affordable to the common twilight pool.

Okay, those are the minions, now here are the engines to go with them, the engines are a key part of this deck also because many of my minions deal with them, and because of their abilities.

First off:

Troop Tower
I don’t use the second part that often, what I do use is the site control, most of the time, this card is what I use to take sites, it’s simple, the engine also helps my minions.

Tower Walkway
This is a card that I don’t want to get rid of, the strength bonuses can be enormous, this card alone would be enough of an excuse to take control of sites.

Great Siege-Towers
This card is the only engine that I have that is non-unique, four of these means: -8 twilight for Troll of Gorgoroth, -4 for great hill troll, and the best of all, each time you play a besieger, you can make an orc strength +4 in a skirmish, a lot of possibilities for just an uncommon.

Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
Removes freeps cards, also works with great siege-towers, a little on the expensive side, but can get rid of annoying possessions like Ithilien Blade.

And finally, my events.

Enheartened Foe
I have already given my two-cents worth for this card, it can make a beast minion a double beast minion.

Din of Arms
Utilizes the burdens to take sites.

The Ring is Mine!
This should be in any corruption deck, you can imagine the possibilities.

Ok, we have all the cards, now we need to make a deck, but before we do that, I would like to show you a few more ways to use the burdens:
You might have seen SoP’s NPE, Negative Player Experience deck, I don’t know why he calls it that but it uses burdens to discard cards from the other player’s deck, with mainly Desperate Measures, then tries to use The Irresistible Shadow, to corrupt the ringbearer.

I don’t have all of these cards, but I’ll show you what deck has worked for me:

Minions:
Olog-Hai of Mordor x2
Troll of Gorgoroth, Abomination of Sauron x2
Great Hill Troll
Siege Troop x2
Gothmog, Lieutenant of Morgul x3
Gorgoroth Swarm x3
Gorgoroth Stormer
Gorgoroth Attacker
Gorgoroth Assassin

Conditions
Desperate Defense of the Ring x4
Thin and Stretched
Great Siege-towers x2
Troop Tower x2
Tower Walkway

Possessions
Grond, Hammer of the Underworld
Gothmog’s Warg

Events
Enheartened Foe x2

Please post any comments, question, or witty comments on this strategy article.
Last edited by Gagnut on Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:50 pm; edited 2 times in totalI don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:01 pm
NO!!!!

Brings back evil memories.

My friend runs a deck sickeningly like this, and he wins every single time.

In all, awesome deck, but its not unique or different. This is a fairly common deck design. I give you a 3.

Also, you need to protect yourself from condition discarding. Condition discarding would slaughter your deck. Maybe run some sort of condition protecting splash?
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:02 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
but its an original article. Personally I think discard with the 5 burdens no deck corrupt card, but it was fairly good. But a lack matchups section and elimination of punctuation and spelling issues take a 5 article and make it a 4. btu I will wait to vote.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Gagnut
Posted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:53 pm
What spelling errors, one misspelling of Gorgoroth makes it a 4, what Punctuation errors were there?

I don’t play that many people, but the only one that I know of that has a deck like this is SoP, and he got his deck idea from me.

What condition protecters are there? This is a corruption deck, not a condition protecter, too many cards would ruin the deck.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
sperzdechly
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:43 pm
This deck has many weak points.
First of all, you’ll need a lot of twilight to play anything. Most of your minions has 6 or greater cost and roaming till 5-6 site. With low-pool deck (like hobbits with Bilbo "Remove 2 burdens at every site") you have absolutely no chace to win. Rangers would smash you, discarding everything you play in maneuver (it wouldn’t be hard, since you’ll be able to play 2-3 minions at one site), therefore DDotR and T&S wouldn’t trigger.
Secondly, as metnioned few post ealier - you need something to protect your conditions. Any Gandalf deck would discard immediately after playing them. The same Elves with 4x Seclusion and Celeborn or Dwarwes with 4x BRC.

What to do then? ?include in your deck cards like Dead Marshes, Orc Patrol or Grishnakh (he’s obvouis in Sauron corruption - decreases site number, adds burdens or draws cards...everything you need). Orc Slaughterer would be good option since he’s cheap and becomes strong very fast, while you run many conditions with exert cost.
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:21 pm
I understand what you are saying, I might try that sometime, but I guess I’m just a purist, trying to keep it a besieger deck, I had orc Slagterer in this deck, but I took him out because he isn’t besieger. Yes there are decks that slaghter this one, but I’m trying to keep this deck based on corruption, with the gandalf, he would just discard Dead Marshes, so that wouldn’t help much. The bilbo is the hate of any corruption deck, not just this one. Rangers are beasts against all but swarm decks. Condition discarding is definatly the weak point of this deck.
bobtheorc
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:44 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
Nice article.
The deck is slightly out of date but your article was fairly well written.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:33 pm
Thanks, I’m glad someone liked it.
Gagnut
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:34 pm
Does anyone else have an opinion on this deck?
TheHobbit13
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:50 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
but its an original article. Personally I think discard with the 5 burdens no deck corrupt card, but it was fairly good. But a lack matchups section and elimination of punctuation and spelling issues take a 5 article and make it a 4. btu I will wait to vote.

perfectionest alert run for the hills Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

i liked it solid evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil wiccked Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil nice deck 4
If you like LOTR then maybe you would like redemption ccg PM me for more info

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest