LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion
How playable is Aragorn, Defender of Rohan?

5 (best)  
62%
  [ 5 ]  62%

37%
  [ 3 ]  37%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 8
Cobra
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:28 pm

I’m not sure I’m able to think clearly about this card quite yet. The picture is just so awesome, and it’s a Rohan-culture Aragorn, for goodness’ sake! Very Happy Oh well, here goes...

I’d say Defender of Rohan’s abilities are good, but not great. "Valiant" is a keyword without many uses. His hunter ability is nice, but can’t be used too often without serious risk to the Ring-bearer. And speaking of the Ring, this Aragorn’s resistance is significantly lower than normal. Overall, Aragorn, Defender of Rohan is certainly not bad, but is the victim of some very strong competition -- there are better uses of his persona.

This card could see play in a Rohan deck with some serious Ring-bearer protection, though. Or he could be used in an expanded-format Noble Leaders deck, to gain access to Help in Doubt and Need.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
AdultLink
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:37 pm
Just wanted to mention: Where Now the Horse?
Haves/Wants
fingolfin
Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:38 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
That’s cool.
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:52 am
AWESOME CARD! Where’s the six?

Finally A Rohan Ari. I may print out four copies for my Rohan deck, if my friends will let me. Think
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:57 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
its cool. He could be useful because of his high stats with a spear and a javelin 11 strength, oh wait you could give him his andurils to replace sites or help out with condition removal, plus he gives higher vitality something rohan normally lacks., and like i said in the other thread there may be more about protecting good old frodo.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
fingolfin
Posted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:18 pm
Joined: 30 Mar 2006 Posts: 321 Location: it's getting hotter in Iowa every day
I would have to say Rohan need an ARB...That’s why I ditched my Rohan deck.
Soldier: why'd you do that captain?

John Wayne: Because I hate your guts!!

Exerpt from "Iwo Jima."
NBarden
Posted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 2:55 pm
Maybe they could make this guy a RB? You know, nothing big, just add a gold circle around the resistance thing, maybe add a text saying each time he is assigned to a skirmish, exhaust him or add two burdens, something like that. And oh yeah, he gets a hunter 1 bonus if he fights.

Ok, I’m done dreaming.

Seriously, with Andruil plus a Rohan mount and Javelin, this Ari is a killer.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:36 am
Love the idea, but why use a picture of him at The Black Gate, with lore from Helm’s Deep? I wish they would coordinate things like that better. Sad

I think this is the first Rohan companion with 4 vitality. Pretty neat! And since he’s valiant, you can start him in your starting fellowship and still play Simbelmyne.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
corvus
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:24 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
This new Aragorn is quite debatable. First, he is Rohan. That means, he can bear anything that says bearer must be a Rohan companion, AND things like his bow that can mean a lot LOT broken combos for any corrupted mind. Second, he is valiant. That is of particular value for any old players. I totally appreciate it for once.

Moreover, this guy here is one of the 3 cards not-so-generous-Brad has revealed to us that the new strategy "let the ring-bearer do his fighting" is based on ( where now the horse and the new Eomer are the others). Seems good, but let’s see the rest of the straregy as well.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:31 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
This was really the big shocker of RoS, I think. This guy’s the first multi-culture companion (I think), and seeing him in Rohan was interesting. It’ll combo very interestingly, IMO. Imagine being able to use him with cards that spot Aragorn and cards that spot a Rohan man! Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow + Anduril, Sword that Was Broken + a Rohan mount + an event like An Honorable Charge = fun stuff.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » Open Lord of the Rings Discussion