LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
MadHornist
Posted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:06 pm
Discarding insanity!

Maindeck (60 Cards)
Creatures
4 Blizzard Specter
4 Plague Sliver
Spells
4 Mind Rot
4 Funeral Charm
2 Sift
2 Mindstab
4 Boomerang
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Last Gasp
Enchantments
4 Megrim
Artifacts
4 The Rack
Land
10 Swamp
10 Island
--- description ---
Easy-to-build focused discard deck
--- end description ---

This is a denial/discard deck that is built around blizzard (or hypnotic) specters. It ensures your opponent always has a permanent or two in their hand to discard, allowing Megrim to do its work.

The damage DOES stack from multiple megrims, so drop 2 or 3 and watch the damage roll off.

Combo a well-timed boomerang with a specter attack and follow it up with a plague sliver beating.

This is also a great anti-sliver tech build with the boomerangs, last gasps and plague slivers.

The only real non-budget card is the Plague Sliver. Feel free to substitute another black/blue beater or flyier for those four if its too much for the wallet.

Some of the uncommons from 9th or TSP fill in here nicely. Consider the Azure Drake or Spiketail Drakeling.

ed.

just played this deck last night and substituted four vision skeins for the funeral charms and it worked VERY well.

Putting cards into your opponents hand right before making them discard is nasty.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:15 am
You need to spend more time on your decklists instead of throwing them together like this. Obviously, stupor is plain better than mind rot. Also, hypnotic specter needs to be there. Those are the two staples of any competitive discard deck, and both are absent. I know the hippies may be a little expensive, but if you get oldish, beaten up ones, you can probably get a playset for not much more than 10$
MadHornist
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:22 am
Some good suggestions; I’ve been play-testing this deck and have gotten it pretty well tuned with the following build:

Creatures
1 Hypnotic Specter
3 Blizzard Specter

Spells

4 Stupor
4 Snapback
2 Mindstab (Great in the opening hand, just OK later)
4 Boomerang
4 Sleight of Hand
2 Last Gasp
2 Dark Banishing (for fatties that Last Gasp couldn’t handle)
4 Vision Skeins

Enchantments
4 Megrim

Artifacts
4 The Rack
2 Dimir Signet

Land
9 Swamp
11 Island

I toyed with playing a temporal adept or two, but the heavy activation made it hard to use.

Vision Skeins was the surprise control card of choice. It lets me put cards in my hand at the end of my opponent’s turn then have discard targets on my turn. It’s rare that an end-of-turn instant could do much, so it really greased up the deck and made sure Megrim would be maximized.

I was lucky enough to acquire A hypnotic specter, but they’re ~$10 bucks each everywhere, so I’m not in a hurry to get more.

I actually prefer the Bounce/Discard choice you get with the blizzard specter.

The extra bounce also work well for protecting my specters from removal. Smile
physcosick
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:59 pm
I just had an amazing idea. Well the idea is make them discard tehir hand as soon as possible the play the rack. But what happens after that? You can’t beat the top deck with discard...

Zur’s Weirding. Once they get low on hand count, u can have a rack out, then lay this enchantment down. With the rack, they can’t afford paying the 2 life, and you? you can because they’re going to be taking too much pain from the rack so it’s worth it!

But it’s too slow for aggro so you would need lots of aggro hate... damnation comes to mind but this is budget... so idk...

But go me for an awesome idea! wootwoot
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:58 pm
Rack plus vision skeins plus boomerang = ? At keast cut the skeins if you’re going to play rack.

I like that new build a fair bit better.
MadHornist
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:11 pm
Vision Skeins makes the deck. It’s a mandatory 4-of.

I realize this seems counter-intuitive, but bear with me.

A discard deck is completely useless without cards in your opponent’s hand to discard.

Running 4x Megrim commits me to making them discard. The racks are there just to finish them off during their upkeep when they can’t cast anything but instants.

A 2-mana instant 2-card drawer is INCREDIBLY efficient. It gives you +3 card advantage when cast at the end of your opponent’s turn; assuming you draw a discard spell of have creatures in play to make your opponent discard.

It also combos well with Mindstab, which is a PERFECT turn 1 suspend for 1B mana.

Even a fast deck will be sure to have targets for the mindstab thanks to the skiens.

Before the Mindstab goes off, at least 1 megrim will usually be in play.

That means a minimum of 6 damage from the mindstab; 12 dmg with Megrim x2 out and 18 with megrim .x3 (never had x4 in play).

This is not really a The Rack deck; its a Discard deck that benefits from using racks to present an alternate win condition to making your opponent take damage from discarding.

It also leaves a no-win situation; keep cards to stop the rack but wind up discarding and getting hit by megrim...
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:19 pm
Here’s another way to think of it. How many decks have you seen that run empty hands turn 5? I think they’ll already HAVE 2-3 cards to stab away. And with mindstab plus the rack, they’ll have to be sweating. I just don’t understand why it’s necessary to run a marginal card that will make them able to choose which cards they dump. Also, if they counter the mindstab, you’ve lost card advantage (you spent one on a card and you each got equal benefit, only you spent two mana). Giving them extra cards lets them more chance to counter it.

Control: will counter the mindstab, giving them two cards.

Agro: Will be the most likely place to run out of cards in hand. In this case, they’re most likely going to keep a single browbeat in hand against the somewhat delayed board control of MBC and let you take 5. Either that, or save char/other burn instants and headshot you before they’re discarded.

Combo: Will be running counters for this purpose, perhaps gigadrowse, and will love choosing which cards to keep. Great for making sure they have all the pieces.
MadHornist
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:34 pm
La_Sin_Grail wrote:
I think they’ll already HAVE 2-3 cards to stab away.

Unless you cast a turn 3 or 4 Stupor.

Swapping out the Skeins for 4x Truth or Tale would seem to satisfy the "give your opponent nothing" criterion and work better against control decks.

I’ll have to give that a try when I test the deck this week.
La_Sin_Grail
Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:51 pm
Well.. I’ve been seeing control decks running land + card drop every turn, usually with at least one draw spell by turn five.

T1: Draw one, play land (7)
T2: Draw one, play land, play signet (6)
T3: Draw one, play land, play draw spell (6-7)
T4: Draw one, play land, get stuporred, play a card (3-4)
T5- time to get stabbed!

Against agro, I don’t think you want to give them instant (figuratively and literally) gas.

Truth or tale maybe... but I think think twice could work as well. Or even like compulsive research or something.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)