LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

50%
  [ 2 ]  50%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 4
Loosechange911
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:53 am
--- description ---
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien is without a doubt one of the most broken cards ever printed in this game. She’s an abusive, over-powered, malevolent bully who wipes the board with the simple addition of a red token.
--- end description ---

Type the full text of your article here. Good luck!

Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien is without a doubt one of the most broken cards ever printed in this game. She’s an abusive, over-powered, malevolent bully who wipes the board with the simple addition of a red token. In this (long) article I will explore her uses, how to “break” her and her few limitations. At the end of this article I’ll give an example deck that takes full advantage of her monster text.

Your goal with any wounding deck is to finish off minions before they can hurt you – with as little work (usually exertions) on your part. With Eowyn on the board, your goal should be to kill all minions with a single exert from Mrs. Broken. This takes some planning, but first let’s take a look at how we first pile on wounds.

Responses to minions being played – Two cards in particular are able to accumulate wounds the moment minions are played. Shadowplay takes advantage of Hobbit vitality and combos nicely with Unheeded (especially dangerous when the hobbits keep returning to their owner’s hand and disregard all their exertions Smile ). Since Eowyn only costs two twilight, she can start with the two recurring Hobbits. Border Patrol only works at plains sites, but is a possible 4 accumulative exertions for a single twilight. Note that this card requires no exertions, just a mounted Rohan man, so it should be included in any Eowyn build that uses several plains sites.

Maneuver actions/events – The Dwarf culture has ample maneuver events that quickly weaken minions. The infamous Slaked Thirsts is a perfect example. This card exhausts most minions simply by discarding it from a condition (especially potent when used with Preparations because of the easy recursion). Quick as May Be and Baruk Khazad wound a minion a piece with straightforward costs. Quick as May Be has a spotting requirement that can easily be remedied by starting Gimli, Bearer of Grudges and Legolas, Greenleaf along with Mrs. Broken.

The Gondor culture also provides an array of pre-acrhery wounding capabilities. Aragorn, Thorongil has a tasty text for this job. Defend it and Hope and No Travellers in this Land are both exert to wound events with a possible extra wound. For maximum effect, these events should be used with Boromir and Stewards’ Legacy. Eowyn could possibly start along side Faramir, Ithilien Ranger and Boromir, Bearer of Council in order to take advantage of Gondor’s wounding possibilities.

Archery-- The well renowned archery phase is probably the most common phase for piling on wounds, since a positive archery total will always add wounds unless somehow circumvented. The Elven culure provides a host of archery opportunities, including Elven Bow, Nocked, Double Shot, Many Miles, and Legolas. As stated above, Eowyn can easily start side by side with any Legolas, and can just as easily be supported by a host of bow wielding elves.

Gondor once again provides some potent wounding abilities, this time with archery. Both versions of Aragorn’s Bow can slice and dice minions into orc pulp. Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Bow in particular works well with Mrs. Broken – I will expand on this harmonious union in just a bit. Faramir’s Bow makes him a well deserved archer. Gondor Bowmen provides excellent wounding support, especially when used with Boromir and Stewards’ Legacy. Bow of Minas Tirith can help if lots of battlegrounds are played (maybe against Suffered Much Loss) and again abuses Stewards’ Legacy if used on Boromir.

The Rohan culture itself also holds great potential in the archery phase. Riddermark Javelin should come with a “hazerdous” label for minions. This nifty possession is essentially a Rohan version of Gondor Bowmen at a plains site – that doesn’t require an exertion, adds +1 str AND can be re-used with Sword Rack and Merry, Swordthain.

Skirmish abilities – The final chance to set up the “exert to clear board” ability of Mrs. Broken is the skirmish phase. The easiest method in the skirmish phase is provided with horses – perfect since Eowyn comes from the Rohan culture which is submersed in these elegant beings. The two best horses for Eowyn to ride on are Brego and Rohirrim Mount. Brego allows you to heal bearer as you play it, a great trick when used with Stables to grab it from your draw deck. Rohirrim Mount grants the Defender +1 ability at a plains site – a must have for Eowyn if your adventure path packs plenty of plains ( note the consonance....stupid literature messing with my mind). Eowyn’s ability includes all minions she is skirmishing, so giving her defender plus is equivalent to giving your opponent a headache. Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade is a crafty weapon that can be used as a surprise extra wound. This will prevent her from using Spear of the Mark for an extra defender +1; this gives us an opportunity cost problem.

There are also other cards that aid Eowyn in her quest for board clearance. Riders of the Mark allows you to exhaust any minion when you play him in the skirmish phase (sometimes negating his twilight cost completely). Smeagol, Always Helps can exhaust a minion for the addition of two threats; this can help negate the opportunity for an opponent to assign wounds without killing minions. No Living Man and Fury of the Northmen also add exertions during the skirmish phase.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eowyn’s ability flourishes with the addition of more and more wounds. But keep in mind that sometimes an opponent can kill off some minions, leaving others unharmed. The true key to using Mrs. Broken is the ability to vary the amount of wounds given to the shadow player. This is where cards like Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow and Riddermark Javelin become much more important than the Elven Bow.

For example: Two vitality 3 minions are played. If you have 3 archery, a smart opponent will kill off one minion and leave the other unharmed. Then, Mrs. Broken with a horse would have to exert twice to finish off the other. But, if you had 1,2,4,5 or 6 wounds coming, a defender +1 Eowyn could clear the board with just one exert.

Once again, the key to using Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien properly is to have the ability to vary the number of wounds given to the shadow player through maneuver/archery/skirmish.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another important part of an Eowyn wounding deck is the ability to keep her fully healed. Her health is usually your fellowships ability to move twice in a turn. To keep her healthy, Leowyn is the best option. This useful ally cycles your hand while providing health care. Another great card for healing is Thundering Host. This condition heals DURING the skirmish phase if at a plains, and gives an opportunity for an extra exert or a healthier next move. Keep in mind that Coif provides an extra vitality to a Rohan man; guess who that’s going on!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The most prominent weakness of Mrs. Broken is the array of wound negating possessions available. Broad-Bladed Sword and Pavise stop all but skirmish wounds (and all exertions), Easterling Polearm negates all wounds and Hides can be a pain in the butt. But don’t worry, there is an easy answer to these....For The Mark !!! This card single handedly nukes any possession during the maneuver phase with a simple exert.

Mumak Commander, Giant of the Swertlings can be a huge pain, but can be countered with Border Patrol or Shadowplay (along with For the Mark if he’s equipped with a Pavise). Other cards to watch out for are cards like Horribly Strong. If you’re playing against Ninja Gollum, be careful and try and keep Eowyn as healed as possible at all times.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here’s a sample deck (expanded 33 cards) using Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien in a Rohan+Aragorn archery deck. This is paired with Evil Men Archery so it has LOTS of plains sites Smile

Frodo, Weary from the Journey
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Eomer, Third Marshall of Riddermark
Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien

Aragorn, Thorongil
Riders of the Mark
Leowyn x2

Eomer’s Spear, Trusty Weapon
Eowyn’s Sword, Dernhelm’s Blade
Rider’s Spear
Ranger’s Sword
Flaming Brand
Riddermark Javelin x3
Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow
Aragorn’s Bow
Brego
Rohirrim Mount x2
Coif

Thundering Host x4
Sword Rack x3
Border Patrol x2
Fortress Never Fallen

For the Mark x3

To rap things up, Eowyn, Lady of Ithilien is extremely powerful. With the right tools – possibly unstoppable. It takes some practice to get accustom to her ability combined with wounding from the rest of the deck, but the potential is so immense that Breaking Mrs. Broken will result in some glorious wins.

I hope you guys enjoyed my first article!
JayPL
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 am
You elaborate on some sofisticated yet effective ways of piling up wounds on minions (Hobbits, smeagol, Gondor, Dwarves+Elves) but, in the end, you come up with pretty plain deck and straight-forward strategy. Think

Refering to the very title of your article - here is how to break her Mr. Green

First of all, I have an impression that you want to run first (pls correct me if I’m wrong) and sweep everyone on your way. However - you lack ANY path control - how come you take benefit from you Plains sites?
Second biggest weakness - you have zero protection to your Ring-bearer (except for your mighty Lady). Please consider Power According to His Stature or Second Breakfast or Cliffs of Emyn Muil or at least The Tale of the Great Ring

Deck no.1
Orc lurkers with Rallying orc and Demoralized - your fellowship will be all exhausted in the Shadow Phase, not later than on 4rd-5th site. Then - guess what happens? (especially at Cavern Entrance and 5-6 minions on the table)
Deck no.2
Unwoundable Uruk-hai Uruks: Suffered Much loss, Invincible Uruk, Force of Uruk-hai, Patrol of Uruk-hai, not mentioning Broad-bladed sword (if For the Mark doesn’t come on the right time), accompanied with Ferocity and Savagery to Match Their Numbers will destroy your fellowship sooner or later (rather sooner)
Deck no.3
Men Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman with Stragglers and Last Days - one single appearence in the Skirmish phase will do the job
Deck no. 4
Orc corruption - Isengard Underling with Bound to Its Fate, Porter Troll, Goblin Hordes, Dread and Despair, and - finally - The Beckoning Shadow
This should be a piece of cake as you have only 3 events and lack burden removal
Deck no. 5
Gollum Ninja with Shelob, Her Ladyship - simply forbid Eowyn skirmish. Gollum with his wounding and exerting potential (They Stole It, Promise Keeping, You’re a Liar and a Thief) should have little problem with killing Freeps.

Probably there any some other weaknesses (Wraith Forest Swarm), but anyway - which deck doesn’t have them Question Cool

From me - 4 for the article, 3 for the deck itself, will round it up to four Smile
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:13 pm
Great article. You do have some typos, and the heading is still there, but the article is good. Maybe include a matchup section?

Loosechange911 wrote:
Both versions of Aragorn’s Bow can slice and dice minions into orc pulp.

um...your way of phrasing things...never mind.

I’ll wait a bit to vote, but right now its at a 3-4, and including a matchup section would definitely bring it up to a 4, maybe 5.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Gagnut
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:54 pm
I don’t have an opinion on Eowen, I haaven’t played against it that much, but I would say it is a good card, and I think you pretty much covered all the aspects of it.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
Mumakiller
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:06 pm
I too hate Eowyn LoI and can appreciate the spirit of the article. A few other good ways to put the clamps on her is play Sauron’s Gaze (and hope it stays out), control assignment (can be done various ways) and to directly wound her (Southron Archery for example).
NBarden
Posted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:33 pm
In expanded format, Black Breath would kill her to.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:20 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
JayPL wrote:

Deck no.1
Orc lurkers with Rallying orc and Demoralized - your fellowship will be all exhausted in the Shadow Phase, not later than on 4rd-5th site. Then - guess what happens? (especially at Cavern Entrance and 5-6 minions on the table)
in case you forgot Demoralized is X-listed and can only put a hurt in open, and almost every deck has glaring weaknesses in open
Deck no.2
Unwoundable Uruk-hai Uruks: Suffered Much loss, Invincible Uruk, Force of Uruk-hai, Patrol of Uruk-hai, not mentioning Broad-bladed sword (if For the Mark doesn’t come on the right time), accompanied with Ferocity and Savagery to Match Their Numbers will destroy your fellowship sooner or later (rather sooner)
you have a point but he did mention it already
Deck no.3
Men Bill Ferny, Agent of Saruman with Stragglers and Last Days - one single appearence in the Skirmish phase will do the job
could be easily negated by including another hobbit and shadowplay

From me - 4 for the article, 3 for the deck itself, will round it up to four Smile

the last two decks could also hurt it. Add a matchups section IMHO.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Gagnut
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:32 pm
It seems like most of the articles nowadays are freeps, why is that?
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:33 pm
gagnut, why are you so pessimistic?
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:33 pm
sickofpalantirs wrote:
in case you forgot Demoralized is X-listed and can only put a hurt in open

Actually, I’m fairly certain that it is only X-listed in Standard format - in Expanded, you can still have 4 copies. I may be wrong though.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest