LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
71%
  [ 5 ]  71%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

14%
  [ 1 ]  14%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 7
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:59 am
--- description ---
An examination of the super-run deck and strategy.
--- end description ---

I’ve always been a shadows player. In fact I love the shadow side of LOTR cards so much, that sometimes I lose games because I won’t double move when I should, just so I can get play the minions in my hand. I’ve always found great fun and satisfaction from playing my shadow cards and my opponent loosing in a decisive death. But you can’t always win by evil schemes. Thanks to the shadows block, we can now create a deck that can out-run any other deck-type. And still have the fun of an amazing victory, by having the capability of moving nine times on a turn. Of course, as you will see, you won’t be able to get all the cards you need at the first site.
One of the main cards that comes to mind and conversation when talking about the run, or running to site nine, is Radagast, the brown. This deck does not feature him, although he could be useful, he is not essential, and actually can endanger your fellowship. However, his staff could have been a great addition to the deck, and I was loath to exclude it, but since radagast allows your opponent to cycle their hand, it is far too dangerous. The real heart and soul of this deck comes from horses, and Gandalf. And it is interesting to note that the way the deck works makes sense in real-life (or “real middle-earth”, which some may say is an oxymoron). The Rohirrim give horses to the people of your fellowship, and you run (or ride) to site nine.
But to achieve your goal you need to set up fast, protect your fellowship from your opponent, and also from the tons of twilight you will be pouring into the twilight pool. We will start with the shadow side of things, because it supports the fellowship. The shadow objectives are simple: cycle your hand and attempt to jam your opponent’s hand.

SHADOW:

The shadow side is extremely minion heavy. Each time you regroup you should discard as many shadow cards as possible, the purpose is to get as many free-peoples cards into your hand as you can. Since you will be moving many times, your opponent’s hand will get clogged with free-peoples cards after a few sites of your super-run. The shadow is designed to enhance the clogging of their hand, and thus stop them from playing many cards against you when it is your free-peoples turn. Unless your opponents minions have muster, the amount of cards they will be able to draw will decline as you go. For example: you move your first time of your super-run, and your opponent has four shadows cards in hand, and plays all their shadows cards against you at that site. When they regroup they discard one card from hand, and draw five so that they have eight. But they only draw three shadows cards. Now after they play those at the next site, they regroup again, and the same thing happens until your opponent only draws one shadow card. If it is a skirmish event (or any immediately unplayable card,), your opponent cannot play any cards against you, and you can zip to site nine while only fighting a few minions. Of course it is not always that simple. But, with the hand-clogging abilities of this deck, you should be able to speed up the process.

Each card of the deck serves an important purpose. So lets take a look.

Murderous Uruk, Breeding Pit Conscript, Horror of Harad: these are all cycling minions. They all have muster, so to be effective they need to survive to the regroup phase. Breeding Pit Conscript can also cycle your hand when you play him, and may even make you able to get rid of more shadow cards.

Grima, Chief Counselor, Grima, Wormtongue: these grima minions can really help clog a free-peoples hand. Grima, Wormtongue doesn’t always have as powerful an effect, but it is much easier to pull off than Grima, Chief Counselor.

Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders: simple card, he is a nazgul, witch you’ll find is important, and he is big, fierce, muster for cycling, and toil to reduce twilight cost.

Ulaire Lemenya, Winged Hunter, Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening: first of all he is one of the cheapest nazgul, second, winged hunter can (if you need to) get cards out of your hand, and return a companion to your opponents hand. This will not only force your opponent to take another free-peoples card into hand, but also get rid of all the cards born by the character. Lemenya, Eternally threatening can add threats which will help protect your nazgul from wounds thanks to they feel the precious.

Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders: another cheap nazgul who can get more Wraith cards into hand during the shadow phase.

Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul : this nazgul is for companion control, and with four vitality should be able to survive to the regroup phase.

Ulaire Attea, Black Predator: another nazgul who can rid you of Wraith cards while using up extra twilight, and adding to his strength.

Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow: a cheap nazgul who can get even cheaper if the ring-bearer has some burdens.

Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders: this is a medium cost nazgul that can put your sites out for your fellowship.

Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin : another medium cost nazgul that helps out with controlling the companion count.

Black Rider : a non-unique medium twilight nazgul.

There Came a Cry: this card adds a threat (or threats), witch will be essential in protecting your nazgul.

They Feel The Precious: remove threats to prevent wounds. This allows your nazgul to survive to the regroup phase.

Shapes Slowly Advancing: once you get to the regroup phase, discard all your nazgul to add tokens to this card. Your opponent can take a companion into hand to prevent a token from being added, but this jams their hand, and will discard all the cards born by that companion. If they don’t take a companion into hand, they will be corrupted when you reach four tokens.

(35)
2x Murderous Uruk
2x Breeding Pit Conscript
1x Horror of Harad
1x Grima, Chief Counselor
3x Grima, Wormtongue
2x The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Lemenya, Winged Hunter
2x Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
2x Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Ulaire Attea, Black Predator
1x Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow
2x Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
1x Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin
1x Black Rider
3x There Came a Cry
3x They Feel The Precious
4x Shapes Slowly Advancing

STRATEGY: the shadow’s objective is basically to discard itself, and jam your opponent’s hand in the process. The shadow is not designed to win, however it is possible if you can get four tokens on shapes slowly advancing. You must discard shadow cards every chance you get. You need to use the shadow to get as many free-peoples cards into your hand as possible.

FREE-PEOPLES:

The free-peoples side of things is a little more complex. As I said, the shadows block has given us the means to create this strong super-run deck. The first thing a super run deck needs is to be able to extend the move limit. The main ways to do this are durin’s secret, and riding like the wind. The obvious necessities for these cards to work are two Rohan steeds, Gandalf, an elf and a dwarf.

Gimli was the most sensible ring bearer, for several reasons. First, he provides a dwarf companion, second, his resistance can be easily increased. Frodo, doesn’t have any use in this deck, as you will need all your companions helping the run, starting him would be loosing a starting slot for one of your other companions (and breaking the rule of 5 would be devastating to your fellowship). Gandalf is a fairly logical choice as he is essential to the deck, but since you will not be playing another Gandalf companion, he will be corrupted. Galadriel would have very low strength and resistance, and there is not enough room to protect her. Gimli’s solid strength, and the ease of increasing his resistance, makes him the very best choice. However, which one ring to use is a tough choice. Much depends on the decks you will be playing against. Probably the best all-around ring to use is The one ring, ring of rings. It gives a resistance bonus, and the one ring can be put on during any phase. The One Ring, The Binding Ring can be a great choice if you know you won’t be going up against really heavy corruption. The ring gives a very helpful vitality boost, and a small strength addition too, but more importantly, you can get rings from your draw deck. Narya and ring of fury can be pulled during the fellowship phase. The damage +2 of ring of fury adds +2 resistance to gimli, bearer of grudges. Narya means +1 vitality for Gandalf and some help with burden removal. But adding those burdens to use the ability, and only being able to put on the one in the maneuver phase is very dangerous against corruption decks, especially if they play the witch-king, lord of the nazgul. Another possible ring to use is the one ring, isildur’s bane, it adds the same vitality and strength, but allows you to put the one ring on at any time. Of course, you will have to take double burdens while the ring-bearer is wearing the one ring.

You will need to start as many other companions as possible, so Gandalf, leader of men is best. For the other companion in your starting fellowship you can really go with either arwen, elven rider, or haleth, son of hama. I prefer haleth, son of hama because you will be able to play Rohan mounts right away, and protect your mounts when you reach four. The benefit to having arwen starting, is she can protect the ring bearer, and you can play hadafang and asfaloth earlier. Test them, to find out which one is better in your area.

Your other companion is Theoden, King of the Eorlingas. Theoden gains muster when you can spot a Gandalf companion, so you can get different cards as you cycle during the regroup phase.

Now for the possessions, and horses in particular. Bloodlines finally gave us a dwarven mount, Arod, Rohirrim Steed, and it gives a small resistance bonus. The token parts of the text don’t matter to this deck. Asfaloth, elven steed is a great mount for arwen. Brego and Horse of Rohan can play on any companion but gimli, and are needed for riding like the wind. For much needed burden removal, the new shadowfax, greatest of the mearas from Rise of saruman is an irreplaceable horse. With Gandalf on this horse, he is mounted and can remove burdens by adding threats. Hadafang helps out with condition removal. Gandalf’s hat is a card that plays an interesting role. Since you are moving so many times, the twilight pool would get flooded with way too many tokens. With Gandalf’s hat you can eliminate the twilight pool before you move in the regroup phase, thus making the pool smaller at the shadow phase.

You have a few artifacts here, as mentioned before, ring of fury helps with resistance, damage, strength, and even a last resort healing. Narya gives Gandalf extra vitality, and can remove burdens. Gandalf’s staff gives some more vitality, and Gandalf gains muster.

As for conditions, riding like the wind is essential, and moment of respite can heal Gandalf.

The events you have perform some much needed tasks. Durin’s secret adds to the move limit, having one or two of these would be good when you start your super-run to site nine. Out of the high airs clears the minions when you move during your run, and citadel to gate is a way to clear the threats so you can remove more burdens. Have patience is a great way to heal, and deep in thought discards all shadow conditions.

Another important part of the deck is the sites. You will only have control of the site path for a little bit, so the sites you choose will be of the utmost importance. Barazinbar lets you play Arod, Rohirrim Steed, stables a Rohan mount, and trollshaw forest is a great card to start your run on, because you can draw a card for each possession and artifact you play. If you add burdens early, (especially if you are using the one ring, the binding ring) use imladris at site three if you can. This will get rid of two burdens.

(35)
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The one ring, Isildur’s Bane
Haleth, Son of Hama
Gandalf, Leader of Men

2x Theoden, King of the Eorlingas
3x Arwen, Elven Rider

3x Durin’s Secret
2x Out of the High Airs
1x Citadel to Gate
2x Have Patience
1x deep in thought
1x Servant of the Secret Fire

1x Arod, Rohirrim Steed
1x Asfaloth, Elven Steed
2xShadowfax, greatest of the mearas (Rise of Saruman)
1x Brego
1x Horse of Rohan
1x snowmane, noble mearas
1x Hadafang
2x Gandalf’s Hat

1x Ring of Fury
1x Gandalf’s Staff, Ash-staff
1x Narya

4x Riding Like the Wind
1x Moment of Respite

STRATEGY: don’t bit too high, in fact, most of the time you might not want to bid at all. If you go first, play either stables or barazinbar, or the prancing pony. i prefer stables, and get a mount out, or the prancing pony for arwen. If you don’t go first, you may be able to play the next sites, and play the sites depending on your hand and what you have in play. If you can, use the binding ring to get ring of fury, and/or Narya in play. Spend only as long as you need to set up, and when you are about to run, try to get as many free-peoples cards in hand as possible. When you are about to run, your fellowship should look something like this: all companions mounted (at least have two Rohan mounts in play) and a few riding like the wind in your support area. Theoden and Arwen should be in play, and Gandalf should have his staff and hat. A few various events would be very helpful. As you go, clean the twilight pool with Gandalf’s hat, this should be done early in the run to allow the least amount of twilight for the first few waves of minions, or if your opponent is stacking up shadow cards for later, clear the twilight a few times in the middle and towards the end. Remember that your goal is to get Gimli to site nine alive. Try to keep the Rohan mounts in play, and note that when you play durin’s secret it lasts until the end of the turn, weather or not you can still spot all the required companions at the end. Keep cycling your hand with the muster abilities of Gandalf and Theoden for needed cards like, Out of the High Airs or Have Patience. you may notice that there arn’t very many ways to add strength to your companions, the real defense of the deck comes from the long run, which clogs your opponants hand because they cant draw shadows cards forever. your shadow helps the proccess along. if you can find room, you can add herugrim, hearken to me, andanother Servant of the Secret Fire. The super-run is an amazing way to pull off a stunning free-peoples victory.

Here is the full deck-list:

Sites:
Imladris (Rise of Saruman)
Barazinbar
Moria Guardroom
Stables
Trollshaw Forest
The prancing pony
Hobbiton Market
Caves of Aglarond
Crossroads of the Fallen Kings

(35)
Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The one ring, Isildur’s Bane
Haleth, Son of Hama
Gandalf, Leader of Men

2x Theoden, King of the Eorlingas
1x Arwen, Elven Rider

3x Durin’s Secret
3x Out of the High Airs
1x Citadel to Gate
2x Terrible and Evil
1x deep in thought
1x Servant of the Secret Fire

1x Arod, Rohirrim Steed
1x Asfaloth, Elven Steed
2x Shadowfax, greatest of the meras (Rise of Saruman)
1x Brego
2x Horse of Rohan
1x Hadafang
2x Gandalf’s Hat
1x Gimli’s Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon

1x Ring of Fury
1x Gandalf’s Staff, Ash-staff
1x Narya

4x Riding Like the Wind
1x Moment of Respite

(35)
2x Murderous Uruk
2x Breeding Pit Conscript
1x Horror of Harad
1x Grima, Chief Counselor
3x Grima, Wormtongue
2x The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Lemenya, Winged Hunter
2x Ulaire Lemenya, Eternally Threatening
2x Ulaire Otsea, Seventh of the Nine Riders
2x Ulaire Enquea, Lieutenant of Morgul
1x Ulaire Attea, Black Predator
1x Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow
2x Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders
1x Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin
1x Black Rider
3x There Came a Cry
3x They Feel The Precious
4x Shapes Slowly Advancing

One interesting thing about the shadow side of the deck is that against a solo ring-bearer, the nazgul should be able to add plenty of tokens since the free-peoples player will not have any companions to return to hand. (unless I am quite mistaken, and a ring-bearer can be taken into hand)

Ride! Mount up and Ride like the Wind!

I appreciate you all, your time, your votes, and any constructive criticism. Thank you.

-macheteman
Last edited by macheteman on Sat Jan 27, 2007 2:39 pm; edited 7 times in totalCheck out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
If at first you don't succeed...Sky-diving isn't for you.
"Combat is dangerous. It tends to interupt your breathing process."
ROLF!!!
JayPL
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:07 am
I like the idea of running while healing/removing burdens/threats/twilight pool/minions at the same time Exclamation
But - I wonder who’s gonna do the fight if you do not manage to clog the Shadow Player enough? ’cept for Arwen, it takes only 16 strength to overwhelm anyone in your Fellowship (I assume SP won’t be that kind to give you plains or battlegrounds Wink ) - and you have no way of getting rid of minions before skirmish phase Think

One technical issue - if you go first, you cannot decide what site to play depending on your hand. You play the site first (immediately after opening bid), and you draw 8 cards after that.

I’ll withdraw from voting for the moment
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:25 am
your right about playing the site before drawing your hand. i don’t know what i was thinking.

the companions should all be mounted, so their strengths should be higher.

theoden: 9
haleth: 9
gandalf: 8 (he could be overwhelmed with 16)
arwen: 10 and the ability to reduce opponents strength. (if bearing hadafang, in addition to asfaloth.)

but thanks for your thoughts, and i’ll try to fit in a pumper or two.

-macheteman
Check out my best article The Utterly Corrupt Corruption,
ROLF!!!
JayPL
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:44 am
how will theoden and haleth reach 9? by my count, they only get +1 bonus on plains/battleground from theoden - so max.8, on other site only 7

aha, and now Servant of the Secret Fire
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:51 am
you’re right, i was thinking the Rohan mounts gave strength bonuses. so

theoden: 7
haleth:7
(depending on who snowmane, noble mearas on, one will be strength 8.)
gandalf: 8
arwen: 10

the real defense of the deck comes from the long run, which clogs your opponants hand because they cant draw shadows cards forever. your shadow helps the proccess along. if you can find room, you can add herugrim, hearken to me, andanother Servant of the Secret Fire. i also added snowmane, noble mearas for strength +1.

and a added some of this to the fellowship strategy section.
ROLF!!!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:07 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
out of curiosity how do you plan to remove burdens during the run? Gndalf’s hat can add up quickly and from what i can tell, Gimli’s resistance won’t be huge.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Gagnut
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:41 pm
There are certain times when clogging works, but what if the other player has a running deck and your minions are made to cycle for your freeps side? Anti-moving cards that put down the movement would kill this deck. Sometimes, haste makes waste, sometime with badly shuffled decks, the shadows player could et so many minions out that it would be suicide to move again. I think both side should win.
I don't have an avatar, I don't have a sig, my posts speak for themselves.
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:40 pm
you shouldn’t have to remove burdens during the run, as long as you remove a s many as possible before. gimli can have 8-10 resistance depending on the ring you use.

there really aren’t very many cards that reduce the move limit, and even less are played. the fellowship can much farther than the shadow would be able to reduce your move limit by.

i’m not sure i understand what you mean: "your minions are made to cycle for your freeps side?" that is sort of the point of the minions. there is always the possibility of your opponant getting a lucky draw. i don’t believe any deck is invincable, and i don’t claim that this one is.

you have brought up some good points, and, again, i appreciate your thoughts.

-macheteman
ROLF!!!
NBarden
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:03 pm
Toss in Proud and Able and Gimli’s Battle Axe.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
macheteman
Posted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:11 pm
you shouldn’t need too much more twilight, but proud and able would be sweet as it can play arod if it gets discarded. however, there really isn’t any more room for it.

what did you think of the article?

-macheteman
ROLF!!!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest