LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:35 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
0 Elven Long Sword Elven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be an Elf.
This well-balanced sword can be used with one or two hands.

Might seem pretty weak, but it gives the "normal" strength boost of other Elven swords for free.

You said it all. Give me a reason to use it over blade of lindon or sword of the fallen

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
BBB (Balanced But Bland).

Yeah, it’s kind of supposed to be bland. That’s why it’s free. Razz

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Steel War Sword Elven
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be an Elf.
Skirmish: Play an Elven skirmish event to make a minion skirmishing bearer strength -1.
Elven swords were unique in Middle-earth, representing the pinnacle of matching a weapon to the warrior who wielded it.

Nice. Definitely going in some Elladan/Elrohir chokes...

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
I think it should cost 2. That’s a powerful ability there.

2? Hmmmm. Think Okay, I guess I can do that.

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Lune Silver Scimitar Elven
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Bearer must be an Elf.
While in a fierce skirmish, bearer is strength +1.
Each time a minion is wounded or exerts in a skirmish involving bearer, that minion is strength -1 until the regroup phase.
An blade of unique Elven design from the Second Age that bites deeply.

Hm...I would still use sword of the fallen. Give it a cooler special.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Awesome. I’d make it non-unique.

I got one opinion that it needs more but is okay being unique, and one opinion that it’s great but should be non-unique. So I’ll go with the easy way out and take some advice from one and some from the other...and not make any changes. Razz

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Battle Helm of Lórien Elven
Artifact • Helm
Bearer must be an Elf.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard an Elven card from hand (or discard a non-Elven card from hand and add a threat) to prevent that.
A swan-shaped, open-faced helm that offers excellent protection and visibility.

Nice. Now why would you use the other one...

Because this costs more, and that one is a possession and this one a sometimes-harder-to-get-easily artifact?

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
I don’t think it should be an artifact; a possession seems better. That being said, this is so powerful it seems like it should cost 3.

I’d prefer to keep it an artifact, but okay, I’ll change it. I think 3 would be too costly, personally, but I’ll go to 2. That work?

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Silver Tiera of Caras Galadhon Elven
Artifact • Helm
Vitality +1
Bearer must be a unique Elf. Bearer may not bear another artifact (except for hand weapons).
Each time bearer must exert as a cost, you may add a threat instead.
Regroup: Discard Silver Tiera of Caras Galadhon and then exert bearer to remove 2 burdens.
A finely wrought gift from the realm of Lórien that grants special power to the wearer.

First of all, its tiara, not tiera. Exert bearer to remove two burdens, discard this artifact...Nice.

Good catch. Man, I’ve made all kinds of silly spelling errors lately. I’ll fix that.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Drop the word ’then’ in the regroup phase, and I like it.

The only reason I did that is because I wanted to ensure you couldn’t use the "add a threat instead" text, but that you had to actually exert. If you don’t think it needs it, though, then I’ll change it, sure.

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Galadhrim Spirit Warding Pendant Elven
Artifact • Pendant
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a unique Elf.
At the start of each turn, you may exert bearer to remove a burden.
Response: If a spell is played, you may add a threat or a burden to return that spell to its owner’s hand.
A pendant imbued with ancient Elves power and wisdom, given to the kin of ancient woodland Elves.

Hm...kinda, underpowered. Think Needs something.

AnxiousChieftain wrote:
Both abilities seem extremely powerful... I’d use it without hesitation even if it only had one of those abilities.

Heh. I got one person saying it doesn’t have enough, and one other saying it has almost too much. I guess that means it’s perfect. Razz

Thanks for the reviews, guys. GP for each of you. Smile
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:57 pm
It’s been a while, but I HAVE been working on this set when time has allowed. In the last couple updates I covered Dwarven and Elven weapons and armor. Now it’s time for Gondor!

Unlike the other two cultures, though, there are two companions from the game The Third Age to cover here, so I’ll do them one at a time. First up, the versatile ranger Elegost. Enjoy!

3Elegost, Dúnedain Ranger Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 6
Vitality: 3
Signet: Aragorn
Ranger. Archer. Hunter 1.
While bearing a hand weapon, Elegost is strength +1.
Maneuver: Exert Elegost and add 1 to take a Gondor archery or Gondor skirmish event into hand from your draw deck.
Though known through Eriador as a skilled hunter, it was in hunting the Orcs of Moria and Mordor that Elegost proved especially proficient.

Like the other five members of the "other fellowship" from The Third Age, Elegost will have three versions in the set. The other two (including Ranger from Arnor back on the first page) focus mainly on his archery prowess. This version certainly has some of that--archer and an ability to draw archery events--but in the game, Elegost is shown to be a proficient melee warrior as well. In fact, in our first encounter with him, he uses his sword, not a bow, to dispatch a charging Warg. Unfortunately, outside of cutscenes, we only get to see him shoot his bows. But that doesn’t mean I can’t make a fighting verison for this set! Smile

As I said, this version certainly helps out with archery. He wouldn’t be Elegost if he didn’t! But he’s also arguably the best skirmisher of the bunch. Ranger from Arnor is strength 8 when skirmishing a couple specific minion tyles, but Dúnedain Ranger is strength 7 against all non-hunter minions and strength 8 against ALL minions if you throw a hand weapon on him, too. And while his ability can grab archery events, it can also grab skirmish events to help him even more, like Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom, Battle Cry, and the particularly appropriate Dagger Strike.

Speaking of weapons....

2 Sword of Eriador Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Resistance +1
Bearer must be a Gondor ranger.
While skirmishing an Orc or Uruk-hai, bearer is strength +1.
If bearer is Elegost, he is damage +1.
A kingly weapon, said to possess great power, used by Gondor’s court.

I made this cost 1 only because virtually every other Gondor hand weapon--even the blades of Aragorn, Boromir, and Faramir--cost 1. Do you think, in light of other powerful Gondor hand weapons, this one is okay as is?

Elegost uses many bows in The Third Age, and many are not even from Gondor. I chose two of the Gondor bows to represent the group, and a couple of those bows from other cultures may show up as non-Gondor cards later.

1 Ithilien Ash Bow Gondor
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Bearer must be a Gondor Man.
If bearer is a ranger, he or she is strength +1.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to wound a roaming minion he or she is skirmishing.
Bows crafted by the Dunedain are favored for their stealth and accuracy.

1Elegost’s Longbow Gondor
Possession • Ranged Weapon
Strength +1
Archery: If bearer is Elegost, exert him to wound a minion; Elegost does not add to the fellowship archery total.
Elegost used a huge bow carefully carved from heartwood that fired long arrows.

Elegost also goes through several cloaks and leather armor suits throughout the game. Again, I tried to cut it down to just a couple from each group. Here they are.

Oh, and if is talks about weather cards, remember that my sets feature a number of new weather events and conditions, so anti-weather text will be more useful than you may initially think.

1 Dúnedain Wool Cloak Gondor
Possession • Cloak
If bearer is Ring-bound or a ranger, he or she is resistance +1.
Bearer may not have his or her strength reduced by weather conditions.
Response: If a weather card is about to make bearer exert, add 1 to place no token for that exertion.
Ranger’s cloaks are made to protect against both foes and the elements.

1 Dúnedain Hooded Cloak Gondor
Possession • Cloak
Resistance +1
Maneuver: Exert bearer to discard a weather condition.
Skirmish: Exert bearer to make each minion skirmishing him or her strength -1 (or -2 if that minion is roaming).
A leather-lined cloak made for travel over long distances, designed to help hide Rangers in battle.

1 Leather Jerkin Gondor
Possession • Armor
While at a forest, mountain, or plains site, each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses (except from weapons).
The scattered rangers of Arnor wear reinforced leather jerkins designed to not hinder the wearer.

1 Chain-mail Hauberk Gondor
Possession • Armor
Bearer may not be overwhelmed unless his or her strength is tripled.
While skirmishing a roaming minion, if bearer is a ranger and is about to exert, place no token for that exertion (limit once per turn).
Heavy leather armor, crafted by the Dúnedain for times of war.

EDIT: Tweaks made to several cards reviews by SoP and AC. Thanks, guys!
EDIT 2: More changes after NBarden’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:48 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:03 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

2Elegost, Dúnedain Ranger Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 5
Ranger. Archer.
While bearing a hand weapon, Elegost is strength +2.
Maneuver: Exert Elegost and add 1 to take a Gondor archery or Gondor skirmish event into hand from your draw deck.
Though known through Eriador as a skilled hunter, it was in hunting the Orcs of Moria and Mordor that Elegost proved especially proficient.
it does the job, if you really want him to be powerful, raise his strength to 6, his twilight cost to 3, and give him hunter(the lore just begs for it)

1 Sword of Eriador Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
yeah I think it is good.

Possession • Hand Weapon
how about if bearer is elegost he is strength +1. and make it bearer must be a ranger.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1
Archery: If bearer is Elegost, exert him to wound a minion; Elegost does not add to the fellowship archery total.
does the job

Possession • Cloak
Bearer may not have their strength reduced by weather conditions.
Response: If a weather card is about to make bearer exert, place no token for that exertion.
how abou for the response action, add 1 to...

Possession • Cloak
Resistance +1
Skirmish: Exert bearer to make each minion skirmishing him or her strength -1 (or -2 if that minion is roaming).
A leather-lined cloak made for travel over long distances, designed to help hide Rangers in battle.
good job

1 Leather Jerkin Gondor
Possession • Armor
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses (except from weapons).
The scattered rangers of Arnor wear reinforced leather jerkins designed to not hinder the wearer.
what can I say?

1 Dúnedain Chain-mail Hauberk Gondor
Possession • Armor
While skirmishing a roaming minion, if bearer is about to exert, place no token for that exertion (limit once per phase).

how about just chain mail hauberk? make it once per turn IMO
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:19 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Companion • Man
Ranger. Archer.
While bearing a hand weapon, Elegost is strength +2.

Cool. Thumbs Up
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

Cool. Maybe a little overpowered (BTW, Faramir’s Sword costs 2 Razz), but I think it’s okay.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon

Seems very similar to Ranger’s Bow.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1

Cool.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Cloak
Bearer may not have their strength reduced by weather conditions.
Response: If a weather card is about to make bearer exert, place no token for that exertion.

Change ’their’ to ’his or her’, and I like it.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Cloak
Resistance +1

Neat.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Leather Jerkin Gondor
Possession • Armor
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses (except from weapons).

I don’t like cards that punish skirmish events. Sad
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Armor
While skirmishing a roaming minion, if bearer is about to exert, place no token for that exertion (limit once per phase).

Yikes, that second ability seems too good with your Ithilien Ash Bow or with Ranger’s Bow.

Cool cards overall.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:30 pm
I made several changes, as you both recommended, SoP and AC. Thanks! GP for both of you.

NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:37 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
It’s been a while, but I HAVE been working on this set when time has allowed. In the last couple updates I covered Dwarven and Elven weapons and armor. Now it’s time for Gondor!

Unlike the other two cultures, though, there are two companions from the game The Third Age to cover here, so I’ll do them one at a time. First up, the versatile ranger Elegost. Enjoy!

Companion • Man
Ranger. Archer. Hunter 1.
While bearing a hand weapon, Elegost is strength +1.

Okay, think for a minute...okay, REALLY POWERFUL! Elf/Rangers have always been powerful, but now, another archer, who’s base strength is basically 7, just give him an Ithilien Blade and its 9-10, and then he’s an archer? Shocked For 2...start him with Faramir, Captain of Gondor...

Like the other five members of the "other fellowship" from The Third Age, Elegost will have three versions in the set. The other two (including Ranger from Arnor back on the first page) focus mainly on his archery prowess. This version certainly has some of that--archer and an ability to draw archery events--but in the game, Elegost is shown to be a proficient melee warrior as well. In fact, in our first encounter with him, he uses his sword, not a bow, to dispatch a charging Warg. Unfortunately, outside of cutscenes, we only get to see him shoot his bows. But that doesn’t mean I can’t make a fighting verison for this set! Smile

As I said, this version certainly helps out with archery. He wouldn’t be Elegost if he didn’t! But he’s also arguably the best skirmisher of the bunch. Ranger from Arnor is strength 7 when skirmishing a couple specific minion tyles, but Dúnedain Ranger is strength 6 against all non-hunter minions and strength 7 if you throw a hand weapon on him, too. And while his ability can grab archery events, it can also grab skirmish events to help him even more, like Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom, Battle Cry, and the particularly appropriate Dagger Strike.

Speaking of weapons....

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2

Nice. I do think it should be 2.

I made this cost 1 only because virtually every other Gondor hand weapon--even the blades of Aragorn, Boromir, and Faramir--cost 1. Do you think, in light of other powerful Gondor hand weapons, this one is okay as is?

Elegost uses many bows in The Third Age, and many are not even from Gondor. I chose two of the Gondor bows to represent the group, and a couple of those bows from other cultures may show up as non-Gondor cards later.

Possession • Hand Weapon

Perfect. Gondor Bow for rangers. Only one problem, its a ranged weapon...

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +1

Nice! Again, Ranged Weapon. People usually don’t use their bows in hand-to-hand combat...Smile

Elegost also goes through several cloaks and leather armor suits throughout the game. Again, I tried to cut it down to just a couple from each group. Here they are.

Oh, and if is talks about weather cards, remember that my sets feature a number of new weather events and conditions, so anti-weather text will be more useful than you may initially think.

Possession • Cloak
Bearer may not have his or her strength reduced by weather conditions.
Response: If a weather card is about to make bearer exert, add 1 to place no token for that exertion.

Nice, but I think it should be resistance +1 period. Right now, no reason to use it over the Ranger’s Cloak

Possession • Cloak
Resistance +1

A hoodie! Ok, never mind. Nice card.

1 Leather Jerkin Gondor
Possession • Armor
While at a forest, mountain, or plains site, each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses (except from weapons).

Nice...why not use armor, though?

Possession • Armor
While skirmishing a roaming minion, if bearer is about to exert, place no token for that exertion (limit once per turn).

Nice! Balanced, and it doesn’t dwarf Coat of Mail.

EDIT: Tweaks made to several cards reviews by SoP and AC. Thanks, guys!
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:53 pm
Good catches with the "ranged weapon" thing, NBarden! GP as soon as I am allowed to give you one.

After your review, I also edited Elegost...both versions. Ranger from Arnor now gets a +2 boost against Wargs and Creatures, and I added mounted minions into the mix. But his cost is now 3, so I think it works out okay. Dúnedain Ranger is now base strength of 6 rather than 5, but he costs 3; the rest of his text remains unchanged. I think that balances out a little better.

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:43 pm
Oops. I almost forgot: Elegost also has a number of brooches he pins to his attire and gets some nice in-game benefits from. They come from all over the land, from Lorien to Arnor to the Westfold. Here’s three that Elegost (and many other companions) can use. I’m pleased with the results...how about you?

2 Brooch of Arnor Gondor
Artifact • Brooch
To play, spot a ranger. Bearer must be an unbound Man companion (or a ranger).
Bearer is strength +X, where X is the number of regions with a forest, river, or plains site.
Bearer is resistance -X, where X is the number of regions with an underground site.
An heirloom passed down by the Dúnedain from the lost realm of Arnor.

1 Rohirrim Brooch of Haven Rohan
Artifact • Brooch
To play, spot a valiant Man. Bearer must be an unbound Man companion (or a ranger).
At the start of each maneuver phase, you may discard a card of bearer’s culture from hand to heal bearer.
A brass device of Edoras once worn by a legendary Outrider.

1 Galadhrim Brooch of Spirit Warding Elven
Artifact • Brooch
To play, spot an Elf. Bearer must be an unbound Man companion (or a ranger).
While bearer is in region 1, he or she is resistance +2.
While bearer is in region 2, he or she is resistance +1.
An ancient token given by the first Elves to Men they trusted.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:19 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Oops. I almost forgot: Elegost also has a number of brooches he pins to his attire and gets some nice in-game benefits from. They come from all over the land, from Lorien to Arnor to the Westfold. Here’s three that Elegost (and many other companions) can use. I’m pleased with the results...how about you?

1 Brooch of Arnor Gondor
Artifact • Brooch
Bearer is resistance +X, where X is the number of regions with a forest, river, or plains site.
Bearer is resistance -X, where X is the number of regions with an underground site.

Too fickle. Wouldn’t use it.

Artifact • Brooch
To play, spot a valiant Man. Bearer must be an unbound Man companion (or a ranger).
At the start of each maneuver phase, you may discard a card of bearer’s culture from hand to heal bearer.

Nice. Would use it Smile

Artifact • Brooch
While bearer is in region 3, he or she is resistance -1.

Hm...chance of getting it out early isn’t good, by the time you get it out, you’re running with resistance -1...I would just cut the last ability.

Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Thanks for the review!

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Brooch of Arnor Gondor
Artifact • Brooch
Bearer is resistance +X, where X is the number of regions with a forest, river, or plains site.

Too fickle. Wouldn’t use it.

How can I make it more usable, then? Any ideas?

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Brooch

Nice. Would use it Smile

Yay! Very Happy

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Brooch
While bearer is in region 3, he or she is resistance -1.

Hm...chance of getting it out early isn’t good, by the time you get it out, you’re running with resistance -1...I would just cut the last ability.

Okay, I can do that.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards