LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:25 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Thanks for the review!

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Brooch of Arnor Gondor
Artifact • Brooch
To play, spot a ranger. Bearer must be an unbound Man companion (or a ranger).
Bearer is resistance +X, where X is the number of regions with a forest, river, or plains site.
Bearer is resistance -X, where X is the number of regions with an underground site.
An heirloom passed down by the Dúnedain from the lost realm of Arnor.

Too fickle. Wouldn’t use it.

How can I make it more usable, then? Any ideas?

I would give it a different bonus...like, strength? Yeah, strength for the first ability, resistance for the second.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:27 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Yeah? Okay. Should I raise the cost a bit, then?
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:29 pm
Yeah. 2. And its still balanced, because he only gets maximum benefit if you control the sites or if you’re in a later region.
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:50 pm
Okay, thanks for the reviews thus far, guys. I think we can move on now and continue the Gondor armaments with Berethor!

4Berethor, Leader of the Company Gondor
Companion • Man
Strength: 7
Vitality: 4
Signet: Berethor
Knight.
Fellowship: Exert Berethor to make the twilight cost of each companion with the Berethor signet -1 until the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Exert Berethor twice to make a companion with the Berethor signet strength +X, where X is the number of races you can spot in the fellowship.
Many were inspired to follow Berethor from all across Middle-Earth, from the forests of Eregion, to the foothills of the Misty Mountains, to the fields of Rohan.

The version that works best with possessions, Warrior of Gondor, has already been covered, so I had to do something else entirely.

As those who review my Duos probably know, my sets bring back signets. I do plenty with resistance too, but I always though signets were a neat idea that were never used to their full potential. I like them so much that I created first two, then three new ones: Elrond for the Elven culture, Thorin for the Dwarven culture, and now a second Gondor signet: Berethor.

Giving Berethor his own signet wasn’t something I planned on at first. One of the whole reasons I made one for Elrond and one for Thorin is I wanted every major FP culture to have its own signet. Now, of course, this gives Gondor two.

So why’d I throw everything back out of balance? Simple: cards like Berethor, Leader of the Company all but demanded it.

Berethor is the central character in the game The Third Age, and your little fellowship revolves around him from start to finish. Not only is he a beast in battle, but he makes everyone else better with a unique "leadership" skill tree, full of abilities that can pump up everyone in the party. I simply HAD to make a version of Berethor like this, and a signet was the easiest way.

This makes for a potential +8 pump, since that’s the current number of FP races (Man, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Ent, Tree, Wraith). Of course, unless you’re out of your mind, you’re likely going to settle for much less than that: MAYBE four or five, but more realistically, probably around three. For that reason, I toyed very seriously with making it only exert once, but I think two exertions is probably best.

Anyways, this is supposed to be about possessions and artifacts. So let’s get to them!

0 Steel Battle Helm Gondor
Possession • Helm
Bearer must be a Gondor Man.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound during a skirmish involving him or her, discard this possession to cancel that skirmish instead.
Gondorian helms are very distinctive with their open-faced, barbut style.

2Fell Númenórean Helm Gondor
Artifact • Helm
Strength +1
Resistance -1
Bearer must be a unique Gondor knight.
Each time bearer must exert as a cost, you may add a burden or a threat instead.
Skirmish: Exert bearer and add either a burden or a threat to make him or her strength +2.
This ancient helm was rumored to have been worn by a Nazgul.

In truth, I don’t recall this helmet having any big drawbacks in the game, though Shadow spells seemed to hurt more while Berethor wore it. I don’t know for sure...I didn’t use it very long.

But the implied risks all but demanded I take a crack at a DC version. I’m pretty happy with the end results.

1 Captain’s Guard Cloak Gondor
Possession • Cloak
If bearer is a knight or at a sanctuary, bearer is strength +1.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard a Gondor card from hand to prevent that.
The finest of cloaks are afforded to Citadel Guard Captains.

1 Gondorian Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard 3 cards (or 2 Gondor cards) from hand to prevent that wound.
Berethor’s travel-worn armor served him well during his long journey from Minas Tirith to Rivendell.

1 Fountain Guard Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
Vitality +1
Bearer must be a Gondor knight.
The armor of the Fountain Guards proudly displays the White Tree over hardened steel and plate lames and mail.

1 Gondorian Scouting Shield Gondor
Possession • Shield
The minion archery total is -1.
If bearer is Boromir or Berethor and he is skirmishing a roaming minion, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
A light, circular shield with a flexible design for use from foot or from horseback.

The reason Boromir’s on there is that this is the same style shield as Boromir’s; they look pretty much identical.

2 Gondorian Battle Shield Gondor
Possession • Shield
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses from weapons.
This sturdy shield is built of layered wood, faced with leather and edged in steel.

Is 2 too expensive?

1 Steel Long Sword Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
When played on a knight, this possession’s twilight cost is -1.
Swords forged in the foundries of Minas Tirith are quick and powerful, with a keen edge.

2 Mithril Sword of Minas Tirith Gondor
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Resistance +1
Bearer is damage +1.
A kingly weapon, said to possess great power, used by Gondor’s court.

Too good?

3Blade of the Valar, Vestige of the First Age Gondor
Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Vitality +1
Resistance +1
Bearer must be Berethor. He is damage +1 and cannot bear other weapons.
Each time Berethor wins a skirmish, you may exert him to remove a threat or make a companion resistance +2 until the regroup phase.
A blade wielded by the most ancient beings of Middle-earth.

The best sword Berethor can get in the game, I figured it couldn’t hurt to turn it into a mini-Anduril.

Each character in the game has armor and weapons, and each also has a small item unique to them. Like the rest of their gear, this item gets upgrades as the game proceeds. For Idrial it was pendants. For Elegost it was brooches. For Berethor, it’s an item that makes an easy transition to dream card form: rings. Smile

0 Ring of the Citadel Gondor
Possession • Ring
Resistance +1
Each time the fellowship moves to a sanctuary, you may add 1 to heal bearer.
A simple ring shaped by Men to honor the guardians of Gondor.

0Númenórean Ring of Command Gondor
Artifact • Ring
Strength +1
Resistance +1
If bearer is Berethor, the twilight cost of each Free Peoples event played during a skirmish involving him or a companion with the Berethor signet is -1.
An ancient ring from the lost kingdom of Númenór.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
NBarden
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:02 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Okay, thanks for the reviews thus far, guys. I think we can move on now and continue the Gondor armaments with Berethor!

Companion • Man
Knight.
Fellowship: Exert Berethor to make the twilight cost of each companion with the Berethor signet -1 until the regroup phase.
Skirmish: Exert Berethor twice to make a companion with the Berethor signet strength +X, where X is the number of races you can spot in the fellowship.
Many were inspired to follow Berethor from all across Middle-Earth, from the forests of Eregion, to the foothills of the Misty Mountains, to the fields of Rohan.

Nice. Gandalf, Friend of the Shirefolk combo, sweet.

The version that works best with possessions, Warrior of Gondor, has already been covered, so I had to do something else entirely.

As those who review my Duos probably know, my sets bring back signets. I do plenty with resistance too, but I always though signets were a neat idea that were never used to their full potential. I like them so much that I created first two, then three new ones: Elrond for the Elven culture, Thorin for the Dwarven culture, and now a second Gondor signet: Berethor.

Giving Berethor his own signet wasn’t something I planned on at first. One of the whole reasons I made one for Elrond and one for Thorin is I wanted every major FP culture to have its own signet. Now, of course, this gives Gondor two.

So why’d I throw everything back out of balance? Simple: cards like Berethor, Leader of the Company all but demanded it.

Berethor is the central character in the game The Third Age, and your little fellowship revolves around him from start to finish. Not only is he a beast in battle, but he makes everyone else better with a unique "leadership" skill tree, full of abilities that can pump up everyone in the party. I simply HAD to make a version of Berethor like this, and a signet was the easiest way.

This makes for a potential +8 pump, since that’s the current number of FP races (Man, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Wizard, Ent, Tree, Wraith). Of course, unless you’re out of your mind, you’re likely going to settle for much less than that: MAYBE four or five, but more realistically, probably around three. For that reason, I toyed very seriously with making it only exert once, but I think two exertions is probably best.

Anyways, this is supposed to be about possessions and artifacts. So let’s get to them!

Possession • Helm
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound during a skirmish involving him or her, discard this possession to cancel that skirmish instead.

Typical Helm. Good job.

Artifact • Helm
Strength +1
Resistance -1
Each time bearer must exert as a cost, you may add a burden or a threat instead.
Skirmish: Exert bearer and add a burden to make him or her strength +2.

Hm...I like the corrupting influence...but maybe, tone it down? Or maybe give it a vitality bonus instead of strength, so I would use it.

In truth, I don’t recall this helmet having any big drawbacks in the game, though Shadow spells seemed to hurt more while Berethor wore it. I don’t know for sure...I didn’t use it very long.

But the implied risks all but demanded I take a crack at a DC version. I’m pretty happy with the end results.

Possession • Cloak
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard a Gondor card from hand to prevent that.

Preventing wounds with a cloak? No. Doesn’t fit the point of a cloak. Maybe do something else. Cloaks need a resistance theme, maybe give it resistance.

1 Gondorian Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound, discard 3 cards (or 2 Gondor cards) from hand to prevent that wound.
Berethor’s travel-worn armor served him well during his long journey from Minas Tirith to Rivendell.

Riding Armor? Hm....make it...better.

1 Steel Fountain Guard Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
Vitality +1
The armor of the Fountain Guards proudly displays the White Tree over hardened steel and plate lames and mail.

Nice.

Possession • Shield
If bearer is Boromir or Berethor and he is skirmishing a roaming minion, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
A light, circular shield with a flexible design for use from foot or from horseback.

Nice. Now the question is, why would I use Great Shield if I can use this. Make it so that both have their own use.

The reason Boromir’s on there is that this is the same style shield as Boromir’s; they look pretty much identical.

Possession • Shield
Each minion skirmishing bearer loses all strength and damage bonuses from weapons.
This sturdy shield is built of layered wood, faced with leather and edged in steel.

Hm...kind of powerful. Maybe just damage bonuses. And then cut it down to 1. If you want to keep strength bonuses, keep it at 2

Is 2 too expensive?

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Swords forged in the foundries of Minas Tirith are quick and powerful, with a keen edge.

Nice.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Resistance +1
Bearer is damage +1.

Too Good. Make it unique, and 3

Too good?

Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Vitality +1
Resistance +1
Each time Berethor wins a skirmish, you may exert him to remove a threat or make a companion resistance +2 until the regroup phase.

Nice. Anduril now looks like the mini-Anduril.

The best sword Berethor can get in the game, I figured it couldn’t hurt to turn it into a mini-Anduril.

Each character in the game has armor and weapons, and each also has a small item unique to them. Like the rest of their gear, this item gets upgrades as the game proceeds. For Idrial it was pendants. For Elegost it was brooches. For Berethor, it’s an item that makes an easy transition to dream card form: rings. Smile

Possession • Ring
Resistance +1

Nice.

Artifact • Ring
Strength +1
Resistance +1
If bearer is Berethor, the twilight cost of each Free Peoples event played during a skirmish involving him or a companion with the Berethor signet is -1.

Kinda...weak. Maybe each time a skirmish event is played (shadow or FP) make a minion strength -1.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:21 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Man
Knight.
interesting, does the job

Possession • Helm
needs to give a way for the shadow player to prevent it.

Artifact • Helm
Strength +1
Resistance -1
make the second ability exert bearer and add 1 or a threat IMO

Possession • Cloak
how about discard a gondor card and add 1.

1 Gondorian Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
fine by me

1 Steel Fountain Guard Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor
Vitality +1
in the title cut steel.

Possession • Shield
fine by me

Possession • Shield
Is 2 too expensive?
IMO yeah.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
works for me

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Resistance +1
Bearer is damage +1.
ditto

Artifact • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Vitality +1
Resistance +1
you need to make it discard all other weapons he bears to.

Possession • Ring
Resistance +1
fine by me

Artifact • Ring
Strength +1
Resistance +1

good. maybe make it cost 1
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:39 pm
In general, it looks like NBarden and SoP disagreed about most of these. Razz I left ones where there were differing opinions alone until I get more comments on them, but I did make some changes. I also have a few specific comments:

sickofpalantirs wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Artifact • Helm
Strength +1
Resistance -1

make the second ability exert bearer and add 1 or a threat IMO

I changed it so that you can choose between a burden or a threat now.

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Gondorian Armor Gondor
Possession • Armor

Riding Armor? Hm....make it...better.

I know it’s similar, but it’s also quite different. There’s no initiative requirements here, and you can also do this for less cards. If anything, THIS is the better armor.

NBarden wrote:
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Possession • Shield

Nice. Now the question is, why would I use Great Shield if I can use this. Make it so that both have their own use.

My justification: the very similar Shield of Boromir. Like Great Shield, it costs 1 and reduces the archery total by 1...but also gives an extra benefit is used by Boromir. So I think I’m in the clear here.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:51 pm
Anyone who wants to review older cards, please feel free. I have a feeling that the sheer number of cards I usually post at a time in this thread turns people away when they first see it, then they forget to come back until the thread is already pushed low on the boards. Ah well.

We shouldn’t have that problem today. Only seven cards this time, all focused on Gandalf. Smile

Everyone’s favorite Wizard makes frequent appearances in The Third Age, moreso than any other character from Tolkien’s collective works. Gandalf actually narrates much of the game (voiced, of course, by Sir Ian McKellen), sort of in main character Berethor’s head, as it were. He also appears several times in the flesh (or pixels, in this case Razz), guiding you along your journey and even fighting in a couple key battles (against the Balrog, and then against the Witch-king in Minas Tirith). He’s an absolute beast whenever he briefly joins your party; you hardly need the rest of your little fellowship when he’s fighting on your side.

So, here’s the Wizard himself, a couple of his more famous armaments, and three spells directly from the game. I tried to capture them as best I could, while still staying true to the character he is in the books and movies. Unfortunately, since I STILL haven’t been able to get my hands on the game’s script, most of these (and most of my Third Age cards in general) still lack lore. But try and enjoy them anyway. Smile

4Gandalf, Wielder of the Flame of Anor Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
Strength: 6
Signet: Gandalf
Gandalf is strength +1 for each unique possession and artifact he bears.
Maneuver: Spot a Nazgûl, Wraith, or Balrog to play Gandalf from your draw deck.
“‘Here our paths cross…briefly.’”

If you’ve been following these cards for a little while, you’ve probably seen that several characters have a version with anti-Nazgûl, anti-Wraith, and/or anti-Balrog text. I figured that if anyone deserved such a distinction, it should be Gandalf...especially considering the battles where he aids the party in the game.

4Gandalf, Friend of Free Peoples Gandalf
Companion • Wizard
At the start of each of your turns, you may name a race. At any time during that turn, you may heal an unbound companion of that race (limit once per turn).
Each time you play another companion whose race you cannot spot, you may remove a burden or a threat.
“‘Your road here will not be an easy one. Much will be risked in the war that is to come, but you will justify my trust. This I sense with all my heart.’”

Kind of has a mini, built-in The Nine Walkers, only different. Also reminds me of Elrond with the healing, though perhaps that’s just me.

2Gandalf’s Staff, Stave of Light Gandalf
Artifact • Staff
Vitality +1
Bearer must be Gandalf.
The twilight cost of each Gandalf spell is -1.
Maneuver: Exert Gandalf twice to heal an unbound companion or discard a Shadow condition borne by an unbound companion.

Admittedly, this one steals a page from the original Gandalf’s Staff with that spell cost reduction. But after that, I tried to make it pretty unique.

2Glamdring, Wizard’s Blade Gandalf
Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +1.
Skirmish: If Gandalf is skirmishing an unwounded minion, exert Gandalf to play a spell from your draw deck or discard pile.

I figured it certainly couldn’t hurt to have another version of Glamdring (see Glamdring, Lightning Brand) that dealt with spells. Again, I think this one is unique enough to stand on its own...especially when combined with the staff above...and the spells that follow!

1 Wizard’s Drain Gandalf
Condition
Spell. To play, spot Gandalf. Plays during the maneuver phase.
Bearer must be a minion with vitality of at least 2. Limit 2 per bearer.
Shadow cards must spot bearer as being vitality -1 (to a minimum of 1).

I can’t find any record of a FP condition that plays on a minion, so I guess this is a first. In the game, this spell drains some of the "spirit points" that a minion has to spend on their own spells and skills, limiting them from using some of their more expensive attacks, especially as the battle wears on. I figured this represented that pretty well, as it prevents the bearer from exerting quite so easily. One of these limits Shadow players from exerting past 2 vitality, and two of them stacked together limits exerting past 3 vitality. Ouch.

Did I word this properly? Does it make sense?

0 Endure the Shadow Gandalf
Condition
Spell. To play, spot Gandalf.
Bearer must be a companion.
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound as a result of a Shadow special ability, add a threat or discard this condition to prevent that.

Here’s a more traditional condition that plays on a companion. How is it? Too powerful? Too weak?

3 Bolt of the Valar Gandalf
Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Exert Gandalf bearing a staff to wound a minion twice. If that minion is a Balrog or Nazgûl, you may exert Gandalf and remove a Gandalf card from your discard pile to return this event to your hand.

Pure beatdown time! Twisted Evil This skill is very expensive in The Third Age, but a few applications of it will take even the Balrog and the Witch-king down. I thought about doing a card like Terrible and Evil, but decided on this in the end. How is it?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:58 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
DáinIronfoot wrote:

Companion • Wizard
interesting. he can easily be 8, and be played from your draw deck. make it draw deck or discard pile IMO

Companion • Wizard
At the start of each of your turns, you may name a race. At any time during that turn, you may heal an unbound companion of that race (limit once per turn).
Each time you play another companion whose race you cannot spot, you may remove a burden or a threat.
“‘Your road here will not be an easy one. Much will be risked in the war that is to come, but you will justify my trust. This I sense with all my heart.’”
I love it good job.

Artifact • Staff
Vitality +1
Bearer must be Gandalf.
Maneuver: Exert Gandalf twice to heal an unbound companion or discard a Shadow condition borne by an unbound companion.
IMO make it exert him and add 1( I wonder how many times in my reviews I have told you to change something to adding twilight?)

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to play a spell from your draw deck or discard pile.
how about response, if Gandalf wins a skirmish, exert him to play a spell...

1 Wizard’s Drain Gandalf
Condition
i think with the to a minimum, you could cut the of at least 2. the wording seems awkward, but I don’t know how you could fix it.

Condition
Response: If bearer is about to take a wound as a result of a Shadow special ability, add a threat or discard this condition to prevent that.
perfect. I think it is fine as it is.

Event • Skirmish
Spell.
Exert Gandalf bearing a staff to wound a minion twice. If that minion is a Balrog or Nazgûl, you may exert Gandalf and remove a Gandalf card from your discard pile to return this event to your hand.

D decided removing cards from the game was to cheap if I remember correctly. make it and discard a gandalf card from... i guess it works.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
elf lvr
Posted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:01 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Anyone who wants to review older cards, please feel free. I have a feeling that the sheer number of cards I usually post at a time in this thread turns people away when they first see it, then they forget to come back until the thread is already pushed low on the boards. Ah well.

We shouldn’t have that problem today. Only seven cards this time, all focused on Gandalf. Smile

Everyone’s favorite Wizard makes frequent appearances in The Third Age, moreso than any other character from Tolkien’s collective works. Gandalf actually narrates much of the game (voiced, of course, by Sir Ian McKellen), sort of in main character Berethor’s head, as it were. He also appears several times in the flesh (or pixels, in this case Razz), guiding you along your journey and even fighting in a couple key battles (against the Balrog, and then against the Witch-king in Minas Tirith). He’s an absolute beast whenever he briefly joins your party; you hardly need the rest of your little fellowship when he’s fighting on your side.

So, here’s the Wizard himself, a couple of his more famous armaments, and three spells directly from the game. I tried to capture them as best I could, while still staying true to the character he is in the books and movies. Unfortunately, since I STILL haven’t been able to get my hands on the game’s script, most of these (and most of my Third Age cards in general) still lack lore. But try and enjoy them anyway. Smile

Companion • Wizard
Playing a companion from your draw deck during maneuver is pretty powerful... but seeing as how he comes out with nothing except what events you may be holding, it seems okay. Especially if you’re starting down a Balrog.

If you’ve been following these cards for a little while, you’ve probably seen that several characters have a version with anti-Nazgûl, anti-Wraith, and/or anti-Balrog text. I figured that if anyone deserved such a distinction, it should be Gandalf...especially considering the battles where he aids the party in the game.

Companion • Wizard

Kind of has a mini, built-in The Nine Walkers, only different. Also reminds me of Elrond with the healing, though perhaps that’s just me.

Seems good to me. Handy in a Nine Walkers deck. Or something with Elessar Telcontar.

Artifact • Staff
Vitality +1
Bearer must be Gandalf.

Admittedly, this one steals a page from the original Gandalf’s Staff with that spell cost reduction. But after that, I tried to make it pretty unique.

Cool. No complaints.

Possession • Hand Weapon
Strength +2
Bearer must be Gandalf.
He is damage +1.
Skirmish: Exert Gandalf to play a spell from your draw deck or discard pile.

I figured it certainly couldn’t hurt to have another version of Glamdring (see Glamdring, Lightning Brand) that dealt with spells. Again, I think this one is unique enough to stand on its own...especially when combined with the staff above...and the spells that follow!

Wowza! Nice one. Finally, a Glamdring that might be used more than Foe-Hammer!

1 Wizard’s Drain Gandalf
Condition

I can’t find any record of a FP condition that plays on a minion, so I guess this is a first. In the game, this spell drains some of the "spirit points" that a minion has to spend on their own spells and skills, limiting them from using some of their more expensive attacks, especially as the battle wears on. I figured this represented that pretty well, as it prevents the bearer from exerting quite so easily. One of these limits Shadow players from exerting past 2 vitality, and two of them stacked together limits exerting past 3 vitality. Ouch.

Did I word this properly? Does it make sense?

Not so sure about the wording... but good card.

Condition

Here’s a more traditional condition that plays on a companion. How is it? Too powerful? Too weak?

Balanced. Good against some, useless against others. It’s a card that depends on the meta, but sitll is useful.

Event • Skirmish
Spell.

Yikes! But good... Seems okay to me.

Pure beatdown time! Twisted Evil This skill is very expensive in The Third Age, but a few applications of it will take even the Balrog and the Witch-king down. I thought about doing a card like Terrible and Evil, but decided on this in the end. How is it?

You need to make some horrible cards, so I can actually say something in my reviews. Laughing
Happy Hunting! Elf Lvr
Winner of Best Personality in the FPCA. Thanks!
Archduke Elf Lvr - Archidoux of the Chosen Ones
AMV Maker In-Training! Check out my newest production, Katsu!- A Diedara Tribute!
And behold, EL declared it good. And there was morning, and there was evening, the first (new) day. ~ DainIronfoot

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards