LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)
Barry Gibb
Posted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:30 am
This is my take on a possible LD deck once PC comes out. I feel LD is usually a valid way to build a deck because in standard every deck needs lands to some extent. If you are able to keep a deck on little to no lands the only kind of decks that even have a shot are aggro decks with very low curves. The goal of this goal is too clear the opponents land base through spot LD then go for the Wildfire which usually wipes the board too. You should be starting with more lands then your opponent and you try to keep the land lead the whole game. You can recover thank to the 4 Life From the Loam. This makes it almost impossible to miss land drops. Also if you draw Summer Bloom you can either drop multiple lands before or after Wildfire. Ghost quarters also works well with this deck because you can target your own lands to thing your deck then recover those lands through Lftl or you can use Ghost Quarters to constantly blow up the opponents lands. In this format very few decks run basic lands making GC amazing. It really accedes against Tron and duals because instead of have the 2 colors from the duels they only get 1 basic. This can exploit and 3 color deck usually and can even disrupt 2 color decks along with getting rid of pesky nonbasic lands like vitu.This deck has a problem with aggro decks so i made a handy side for just that purpose. I put in two of the best walls in standard to help. Also have crypt against decks like Dralnu and Martry even though its dead. Then Demonfire for matches that you need some more win conditions or something that is hard to counter.

Creatures:

3 Detritivore
3 Shivan Wampus

Spells:

4 Life From the Loam
4 Summer Bloom
4 Wreak Havoc
4 Stone Rain
4 Cryoclasm
4 Harmonize
4 Boom // Bust
3 Wildfire

Lands:

4 Ghost Quarter
4 Stomping ground
7 Mountain
6 Forest

Side Board:

4 Tormod’s Crypt
4 Demonfire
4 Wall of Roots
3 Carven Caryatid
MadHornist
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:56 am
The biggest problem I see is a complete lack of removal. There is no way to deal with weenies in the early game; which will spell doom against a Boros deck.

LD is fun and all, but you need some auxilliary spells to make it work.

Slowing down your opponent is fine, but you need to run Char, disintegrate, blaze, or rift bolt so you have a way to either remove critters or burn to the face.

Blood Moon is as good an answer to Tron as LD is.

White has too many answers to LD to make it competitive in type 2. Flagstones make you waste a LD spell.

I’d consider splashing blue and running some Wildfires with Mind Bend. That gives you a selective armageddon. Combo it with Blood moon to take ALL land off the board and use your tech to get yours back.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:29 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
MadHornist wrote:
The biggest problem I see is a complete lack of removal.

Wildfire does that job just fine, from what I’ve seen about LD decks, I merely sideboarded Pyroclasm, and used it very few times.

MadHornist wrote:
There is no way to deal with weenies in the early game; which will spell doom against a Boros deck.

He DOES have both Wall of Roots AND Carven Caryatid in his SB, which deal with weenies well enough.

MadHornist wrote:
LD is fun and all, but you need some auxilliary spells to make it work.

That’s what Harmonize’s here for, although one may argue that it may not be enough.

MadHornist wrote:
Slowing down your opponent is fine, but you need to run Char, disintegrate, blaze, or rift bolt so you have a way to either remove critters or burn to the face.

Vore didn’t run neither of those spells, and did pretty well. Even my build (posted in the Deck Clinic) still does, although the loss of Eye of Nowhere and Sowing Salt is hard to overcome.

MadHornist wrote:
White has too many answers to LD to make it competitive in type 2. Flagstones make you waste a LD spell.

True, but I don’t know about not being competitive... My UR Vore is pretty good still, and if you drop by to check on my article for this month (it’ll be here in about 1-2 weeks), you’ll see an LD build that at least so far seems to be pretty solid, even against aggro.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Deck Clinics » Standard (Type 2)