LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:51 am
--- description ---
This is a Shadow design that allows you to surprise your opponent by playing to Watcher in the Water and his tentacles.
--- end description ---

I’m sure when the Mines of Moria set came out and someone got the Watcher in a pack, you would try to use it. When it came out, I tried to, but I always failed. I never had enough twilight to play the Watcher at sight four on the adventure path which was the only one at the time to play it. I didn’t even have twilight to play his tentacles either. Without his tentacles the Watcher isn’t as good. Now with cards like Evil Smelling Fens, playing the Watcher is so much easier!

The Shadow consists of 35 cards:
4x The Watcher in the Water, Keeper of WestGate
4x Huge Tentacle
4x Foul Tentacle
4x Foul Things
4x Goblin Runner
4x Evil Smelling Fens
1x Web
4x Gollum, Old Villain
4x Shelob, Last Child of Ungoliant
2x Promise Keeping

Any Free Peoples works with this deck as long as it can survive well without cycling very quickly.

The Shadow moves really slow. It can’t go too slow, otherwise the chance of getting Evil Smelling Fens or Promise Keeping is slim. But it still moves slow. If you try to attack at once without waiting then there is a good chance that you will run out of minions quickly. Getting an Evil Smelling Fens out quickly is key in this deck. This is usually a “one time assault.” Sometimes you can get many attacks out with the Watcher and his tentacles but don’t count on it. It is much more effective when you have the Watcher and many of his tentacles. The Strength +2 and the Damage +1 bonus is nice for the swarming tentacles.
Shelob is used with Promise Keeping to either wound them early and finish them off with the Watcher or vice versa. Gollum is there for one reason. He can use the Evil Smelling Fens game text to play a minion from your discard pile by discarding it. Gollum also helps cycle be discarding cards in you hand that you don’t need. Web is also a nice card to stack Shelob or Gollum. Although I don’t recommend doing this if you have another copy in hand.
The last addition to this Shadow is the Goblin Runners and the Foul Things. The Runner’s only purpose is to add twilight and Foul Things is there to play the Watcher or the tentacles again.
This deck is extremely hard to use and requires good timing. There is a good chance you will play the Watcher at least twice. You want to try to get more minions then companions with this shadow. Otherwise your minions will be beaten down. Except for Shelob of course.

Well if anyone has improvements or if I left something out please let me know. Enjoy!
ingold55
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:06 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
one idea. try to talk about your stratagy first then in summery, put your deck at the end. focusing your topic around a deck is hard. you have to go indepth on your cards, explain what makes the cards you choose so good, and talk on how to use the deck, with out making it boring. dont' get me wrong, your article isn't that boring. it held my intrest. Very Happy

ingold Cool
Last edited by ingold55 on Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:27 pm
I disagree with Ingold. Putting your decklist near the start is fine. And there really isn't that much you have to talk about with this deck, and Lord of the Shire seems to have covered it all. And (assuming you are the one who gave him a 2) if the article held your interest, then why did you give it a 2?

I gave this article a 4. Not many people have the guts to even mention the Watcher in the Water. Wink
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
Lord of the Shire
Posted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:31 pm
Thank you Chieftain. I was thinking of putting the strategy first but it might confuse the readers. If I include the cards in the deck first, then they will have an idea of what will happen. Everyone has their own views.
AdultLink
Posted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:44 pm
Good article. I've always loved using the watcher!
Haves/Wants

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest