LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions
BattleWarg
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:59 pm
Okay, I saw the question awhile ago, but cannot find it on these forums to comment on something I just noticed that would concern it.

I’m sure most of us know the issue between Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled and Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom... (those that don’t, look at Bilbo’s regroup ability and then NFF)

Well, if it isn’t able to be played (or is, but for no effect), during the regroup, then how would that affect Diversion?

As I see it, there are four options...
1. One or both were specifically noted, and thus work differently. (Preventing Bilbo/NFF, but allowing diversion in the skirmish)
2. Bilbo/NFF is not allowed and Diversion is a regroup only event
3. Bilbo/NFF is allowed for no effect (being a skirmish ability during the regroup), and you can add 2 burdens to play Diversion for no effect (being a regroup ability during the skirmish).
4. Both are allowed.

To me, #4 makes the most sense, but I wondered what others thought.
corvus
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:14 pm
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
I rule #4.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Cobra
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:55 pm
I don’t see any conflict here at all.

The rules allow you to play Nine-Fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom during a skirmish phase, since it is a skirmish event. But is also a tale, and you can exert Bilbo, Bearer of Things Burgled can exert to play a tale during the regroup phase. Therefore, you can exert Bilbo to play Nine-Fingered Frodo during the regroup phase. (Not that you would want to...)

The rules allow you to play Diversion during the regroup phase, since it is a regroup event. But the card text specifically says you can add two burdens to play it during a skirmish phase. Therefore, you can in fact add two burdens to play it during a skirmish phase. Rolling Eyes

Remember that specific card text always trumps the general rules.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
yerkamig
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:25 am
Why would a Hobbit be assigned to a skirmish during the regroup, as stated by the first part of Diversion’s text?
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:38 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
its NOT assigned to a skirmish Rolling Eyes Very Happy
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
yerkamig
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:09 am
OK. So why specify it? Was this a misprint?

Oh, and while we’re talking, what’s with second breakfast? Why only put shire before the second mention of a ringbearer? It makes it seem like an ARB can be in play w/o a ring, and then help the shire ring-bearer.
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:17 am
yerkamig wrote:
OK. So why specify it? Was this a misprint?

It says the "not assigned to a skirmish" thing because it can be played during the skirmish phase with it’s own text. So, if you play it during regroup, the Hobbit will (obviously) not be assigned to a skirmish and thus you can skip the text; but if you play it during the skirmish phase, you have to make sure that the Hobbit isn’t fighting.

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
yerkamig
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:20 am
OK. Thanks AC. I see now. GP! And another in 15 if you can answer my second breakfast question.
lem0nhead
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:00 am
Well technically anything after the word "to" is the effect of a card and as long as you have paid the cost it doesnt matter whether its carried out. E.g. "Spot a hobbit to make an orc -3 strength" There doesnt have to be an orc as it doesnt say and "spot an orc" to make it -3. So really you could exert your non shire ring bearer and add a threat but then it wouldnt do anything. But im sure its meant to be used if you have a shire ringbearer. So you would exert frodo/bilbo/sam and wound the minion facing him. Probably just another gametext mess up by D.

P.s. In your example you say exert your non shire ringbearer w/o a ring. The character is not a ring bearer unless he actually has the one ring.

Cheers Smile
Ban shampoo, demand real poo.
Popcorn My Trade List and CC References
"Smart guy, especially considering his head is filled with lemon juice and seeds. That boy’s juicy brain is FULL of good stuff" ~ DainIronfoot
"No fair! And all I got was an oily unconscious steward!" ~ Pippin.
"Okay, stop me if you've heard this one. An elf, a man, and a dwarf walk into the Riddermark..." ~ Eomer
yerkamig
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:28 am
lem0nhead wrote:
P.s. In your example you say exert your non shire ringbearer w/o a ring. The character is not a ring bearer unless he actually has the one ring.

That’s what I thought. And ARB’s can’t be used at all unless they’re the ring-bearer, right?

Thanks Lem0nhead! GP!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Gameplay Questions