LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
bandfreak9
Posted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:52 pm
Me and my friends have decided on this weird tournament thing that one of my friends came up with. Here’s the jist of the rules.

You have to buy a theme deck. It must be recent and the new Sliver Deck is banned.

Same rules as standard. Except sideboards, because every deck is specialized ffor certain stratagies you can use as many cards as you want in the sideboard too help even out the disadvantages.

You can modify it but every card that was originally there has to be there. So lets say you have 3x Might Slivers you can take out 2 but you still have to have at least one left and for each card you take out you have to add in that many cards.

You can also not use a theme deck you have played with before.

You can also not modify the mana type for the deck.

The winner of each match gains the opponents theme deck (not the modified one the original).

Pretty much what I want to know is what theme deck is the best besides the Izzet and Gruul and new Sliver deck?

Although I’m pretty sure most of you don’t buy theme decks I’m sure some of you have at least looked at them. It would be great if y’all could help this is alot of cards I can gain which would help imensly. Smile
Felipe Musco
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:13 am
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
The Reality Fracture deck, with the right cards, is really cool. But I didn’t QUITE get the rules, I can’t change the manabase AT ALL?!?
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:42 pm
You can’t change the colors you can add more mana but can’t make a red deck into a red green its actually kind of annoying but its to stop a lot of changes to the deck.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:02 am
But not even quantities? I mean, if the deck comes with 15 forests for 7 mountains, I can’t make it, like, 11/11?
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:13 pm
Thats what I meant by you can add more mana you can add more forest to a green deck but you can’t add some islands to it or something
You can’t change the color though
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:19 pm
Ok, got it. At least one copy of everything has to be in, no adding other colors, and I can add AND remove mana as I please, IN color. I’ll see what I can come up with.
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:13 am
Thanx i wasn’t asking anyone to help I just needed a good theme deck but thanx a bunch big help

I would give you a gold point but I don’t have any or can I I don’t know
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:37 am
Ok, time for a long post. I was looking over at Planar Chaos’ theme decks, and saw some nice things. Rituals or Rebirth has a pretty powerful creature in Teneb, the Harvester, which is nothing to sneeze at, but I don’t quite like the whole three-colored idea. Unraveling Mind has some good sinergy with the Rakdos self-discarding theme, but so far, I’m more inclined to go with the new Endless March deck, because both the rares and 2 copies of Calciderm. So, let’s strip down the deck, then, shall we?

1 Keldon Marauders
2 Mogg War Marshall
2 Lavacore Elemental
1 Avalanche Riders
1 Children of Korlis
2 Icatian Javelineers
2 Errant Doomsayers
3 Whitemane Lion
1 Soltari Priest
3 Aven Riftwatcher
2 Stonecloaker
1 Riftmarked Knight
2 Calciderm
1 Dust Elemental
2 Stormfront Riders
2 Jhoira’s Timebug
2 Brute Force
1 Fatal Frenzy
2 Timecrafting
1 Dead//Gone
1 Sunlance
1 Dawn Charm
10 Mountain
11 Plains
3 Terramorphic Expanse

Ok, let’s strip down to one copy only of the cards we would want gone, and that leaves us at:

(-3 cards)
1 Keldon Marauders
2 Mogg War Marshall
2 Lavacore Elemental
1 Avalanche Riders
1 Children of Korlis
2 Icatian Javelineers
1 Errant Doomsayers (not that useful anyway)
3 Whitemane Lion
1 Soltari Priest
3 Aven Riftwatcher
2 Stonecloaker
1 Riftmarked Knight
2 Calciderm
1 Dust Elemental
1 Stormfront Riders (just costs overall too much)
1 Jhoira’s Timebug (Nah, not that useful AT ALL)
2 Brute Force
1 Fatal Frenzy
1 Timecrafting (Same as Jhoira’s Timebug)
1 Dead//Gone
1 Sunlance
1 Dawn Charm
10 Mountain
11 Plains
3 Terramorphic Expanse

I’d say your rules are WAY too harsh, since it basically leaves NO ROOM AT ALL to customize the deck, so I think you guys need some reviewing those rules. Maybe, keep the "on-color" thing, state that you may not add any rares nor timeshifted cards (otherwise Akroma would come right in!), and use La_Sin_Grail’s "point" system, which allowing no rares to be added, is going to become far more easy to keep control of (click here for more info on that).
I’d suggest going with the following:

Commons = 0.5 point
Uncommons = 1 point
Timeshifted = 2 points
Rares = 4 points

Now, you’d assign how much points each one would get. Also, note that I suggested to forbid rares and timeshifteds, but assigned some points fo them Why? THe idea would be to assign very few points (maybe, like, 5-10 points, probably 5, for each one of you), but each card you took out would net you the same amount of points. So, if a rare that came in the deck went out, you’d get 4 points for it, and so forth. That would leave more room to customize the deck. And, of course, NOW you’d get to add in a sideboard. Talk to your friends and check what they’ll think of this idea, then if they’re ok get back to me, so I can try and help you out. Personally, I think a tournament would be way cooler this way, not to mention more interesting. Then, instead of the winner getting ALL the cards from the other player, you’d assign points for the win. So, for instance, a 2-0 win would allow you to get 5 points worth of cards from their deck (the one they brought to the tournament, of course, not the original one!), and a 2-1 would let you choose 3 points. So, a 2-1 victory wouldn’t allow you to get a rare from their deck, but you could get SOME good cards. Of course, if you WANT everyone to get more cards, raise the point count for winners slightly up. Also, why keep the other cards? Because you can’t "evolve" the same deck twice, but the cards could go into evolving OTHER decks in the future. Anyway, talk to them, see what they think about this, and get back to me. Just my 2 cents.
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:33 pm
I do like the point system and I did mention it to them and most of them seemd pleased with the idea and since the "tournament" isn’t for another month or so we’re going to change that rule (thank god) so now i might actully be able to customize something

Example: 3rd month of me playing I used the Izzet deck cause most of my friends use agro yet they seemed to be able to customize their decks more but anyway my main problem with the rules are that I got a Hunted Phantasm and 2 Electrolyze and a 2nd Tibor and Lumia (not that great of a card but works really well in that deck) in the 4 boosters I bought that day problem was I could only fit in 3 cards and I had others I wanted to add

but you get a gold point for trying

and do you think I mean current set by recent cause its anything that can be played in current standard the rule is just there so people don’t use really good old decks
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:08 pm
No, I know what you meant. However, since I had anticipated that the customization would be little, I went ahead and picked the best PreCon in my opinion.
Also, I remember you saying that Izzet, Gruul (was it Gruul?) and Sliver were out. So you’re going with the system I adapted? What exact grounds? Lay it here, so we can brainstorm on a cool idea, NOW I’ve got some room to dream! Wink And thanks for the gp! Homage
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion