LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion
bandfreak9
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:10 am
Not quite sure on drafting just give me a brief overview I’m more of a casual player and are not sure whats going on some time

But I think its getting a certain amount of booster packs or a sealed tournament deck and making a 40 card deck correct me if I’m wrong

If it is that it won’t work to well because the whole point is to teach a new kid how to play and get him some cards

but if its adding on to decks with booster packs I can help him with that
Felipe Musco
Posted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:52 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Well, draft involves, usually, as much money as buying a theme deck would anyway. Each one buys 3 booster packs, 1 from each set in the block (if the block is not yet fully released, you increase the number of boosters from the firsts et accordingly, so for TS it would be 2 TS boosters, and one PC). Each one of you will open one booster, pick a card, and pass the rest to the left, so on so forth, until the first booster is over. Then, you open the second booster, pick one, pass it to the RIGHT, and repeat. With the last one, it’s to the left again. After it’s done, each of you must assemble, using that cards, a 40-card deck, with the remaining cards ALL becoming your sideboard. Easy as that. You get to play you tournament, and after it’s over, each one of you will lay all the cards (except the lands, of course, which were already yours anyway) on the table, and form first to last, each will go on picking one card. In the end, all of you walk away with 3 boosters (the same amount of cards you bought in the first place), but with a CUSTOMIZED booster, not to mention boosting the games, since there’s a "prize" on the line (being able to pick the first card, usually the most expensive of the lot).
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:55 pm
I like the idea might work but I’m not sure about my friends they just like casual games I don’t think they’ll go for it plus the new kid who would play with us would probably get anhilated
bandfreak9
Posted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm
POOP
the local card store didn’t have any Planar Chaos and its next weekend so I don’t have enough time to order any

So I need help with a new deck I went with the Dimir Intrigue deck I was gonna add some Blizzard Specters

Any help you can offer would be great
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:36 pm
Ok, I’ll try to help, but due to the total lack of time, I won’t be able to go through it step by step, I hope that’s ok with you.

Here’s the standard Dimir Intrigues list:

(-0 cards, 5 points)
2 Lore Broker U
3 Vedalken Entrancer C
2 Wizened Snitches U
2 Belltower Sphinx U
2 Dimir House Guard C
1 Mausoleum Turnkey U
2 Sewerdreg C
2 Dimir Infiltrator C
1 Szadek, Lord of Secrets R
3 Lurking Informant C
1 Dimir Guildmage U
2 Induce Paranoia C
1 Dream Leash R
2 Last Gasp C
1 Ribbons of Night U
2 Disembowel C
3 Consult the Necrosages C
1 Clutch of the Undercity U
2 Psychic Drain U
1 Dimir Signet C
11 Island
10 Swamp
2 Dimir Aqueduct C
1 Duskmantle, House of Shadow U

And here’s where it is after removing the not-so-useful cards (milling’s just not that useful after all):

(-33 cards, 31 points)
1 Dream Leash
2 Dimir House Guard
2 Last Gasp
1 Clutch of the Undercity
1 Dimir Signet
10 Island
8 Swamp
2 Dimir Aqueduct

And here’s my first thoughts on it (with still 0.5 points to spend):

1 Dream Leash
2 Dimir House Guard
4 Moroii (4 points)
4 Sleight of Hand (2 points)
4 Last Gasp (1 point)
4 Rune Snag (2 points)
4 Remand (4 points)
4 Compulsive Research (2 points)
3 Repeal (1.5 points)
2 Clutch of the Undercity (1 point)
2 Blizzard Specter (2 points)
4 Dimir Signet (1.5 points)
10 Island
8 Swamp
4 Dimir Aqueduct (1 point)

Sideboard:
3 Assassinate (1.5 points)
1 Blizzard Specter (1 point)
2 Gravedigger (1 point)
2 Psychic Drain
1 Clutch of the Undercity (1 point)
4 Rathi Trapper (2 points)
2 Sudden Death (2 point)

Main Deck’s Strategy:
Draw as much cards as possible while building up a mana base, leaving open mana for the eventual Rune Snag, Remand or Last Gasp, which kills most of the dangerous early drops you migh face. Clutch of the Undercity and Repeal are good not only to bounce creatures (or to bounce creature tokens, thus removing them from the game), but they’re also your only answer to Artifacts and Enchantments, besides countering the spell itself (and also, it’s NEAT to play Clutch of the Undercity on a very big creature, dealing 3 in the process, and then countering it as your opponent taps all their lands to cast it again!). Also, Clutch of the Undercity and Dimir House Guard both transmute for 4cc cards, allowing to fetch your finishers, the Moroiis, or to get Blizzard Specters, if you want to disrupt an opponent. Dream Leash is a cool card to catch opponent’s by surprise, although not the best card around.

Sideboard:
In case the damage form Moroii is too dangerous, you can swap one for another Blizzard Specter, and/or side in Psychic Drain, for the sake of gaining some life (and who knows, you COULD be lucky enough to nail an important card of your opponent’s deck). In case removal is heavy, you can side in Gravedigger, which, btw, ALSO fits in the 4cc transmute slot! Lastly, there’s the tricky Rathi Trapper, which provides both an answer to multiple big beaters or fast beating (your deck produces an awful lot of mana, after all), while ALSO combo’ing with Dream Leash! You tap the creature you want (even if it has Vigilance), and Dream Leash it! Cool, huh? Also, in the same subject, I went with Assassinate in the sb, since you can tap the desired creature with Trapper if it’s not tapped yet, and it utterly destroys it! However, mind that it DOES allow the creature to regenerate, so against regenerating creatures, use Last Gasp or Sudden Death.

Get back to me if you need any help, I’ll try to help you out as quickly as possible!
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:45 pm
I like it thanx abunch of course I had to pick a bad deck the discard idea just seemed good against my friends stratagies but your version is 10 times better than what I came up with tha

let me see my main stratagie was to discard thought of a decent combo for it but not all that great Ravenous Rats plus Peel from Reality
Why not Darkblast as a sideboard against aggro cause I no one of my friends will either be playing Selensia or Gruul
Felipe Musco
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:25 pm
Because Darkblast doesn’t work exactly against those two colors, since the only non-rare it can nail is Soltari Priest. Last Gasp, on the other hand, can nail Soltari Priest, Watchwolf AND Scab-Clan Mauler, no to mention the Assassinates and Sudden Deaths on the sideboard. If one of them is playing with a lot of tokens, though, it could be good... Perhaps you could try to swap Sudden Death for Darkblast, although I’m not too keen on that.
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:57 pm
No I’d much rather play with Sudden Death
It was just a newbish suggestion from your friendly neighbohood newb

How bout a Coral Trickster in there too does the same thing as Rathi Trapper but only once and it could be more versitile if I need a quick blocker
bandfreak9
Posted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:08 pm
By the way milling isn’t awful just use 4x Glimpse the Unthinkable + 4x Twincast + 4x Uyo, Silent Prophet plus IDK maybe the long named vampire guy and some counter spells, maybe even Mindleech Mass plus some bounces like Remand and Blizzard Specter and Dimir Infiltrator will transmute for both Twincast and Glimpse the Unthinkable

Hmm maybe I’ll go make this just to annoy my friends Twisted Evil Mr. Green

Of course its not Standard legal, but maybe a year ago
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:55 am
Well, it does not work in your format, since you can’t add rares. If you want Standard-legal milling, check my article for the month, Breaking Planar Chaos, its got A BUNCH of cool decks for milling, controlling, aggro, well you name it! Also, there’s an old article by me, to, called Milling Deep, where I used an idea very similar to yours, although it DEFINITELY looks better in my newer article, what with Damnation and Extirpate.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » Open Magic: the Gathering Discussion