LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » War of the Ring Block
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:19 am
This is a War of the Ring block deck. Smile

Buckland Homestead
The Angle
Woody End
Hill of Sight
Barazinbar
Caras Galadhon
Old Forest Road
Trollshaw Forest
Moria Guardroom

Frodo, Protected by Many
The One Ring, The Ruling Ring

Gimli, Lord of the Glittering Caves
Grimir, Dwarven Emissary x2
Thrarin, Smith of Erebor x2
Dwarven Warrior x4
Axe of Khazad-dum x4
Gimli’s Battle Axe, Vicious Weapon
Dwarven Belt x2
Dwarven Bracers x3
Dwarven Skill x3
No Pauses, No Spills x3
Dwarf-lords x4
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x2
No Worse for Wear x2

Lost in the Woods x3
Dark Approach x4
Moving This Way x3
Ulaire Toldea, Black Shadow x4
The Witch-king, Captain of the Nine Riders x4
Ulaire Nelya, Third of the Nine Riders x3
Ulaire Enquea, Sixth of the Nine Riders x3
Ulaire Nertea, Servant of the Shadow x2
Ulaire Cantea, Black Assassin x3
Black Rider x2
Ulaire Otsea, Fourth of the Nine Riders x2

Strategy:

First off, bid enough to make sure you go second. You need to have your site path.

For the Free Peoples side, just play your companions and possessions, and win your skirmishes. Don’t move ahead of your opponent, unless your Shadow can’t kill him. No Pauses, No Spills can set up your shadow side. Dwarf-lords is awesome, especially late in the game. Dwarven Warrior is a nice companion, since he can really mess up people’s decks.

The object of the Shadow side is to swarm with a bunch of big Nazgul. Use Dark Approach to achieve this, and use Toldea to retrieve Dark Approach. Use Moving This Way to set up a late game swarm. Cantea is their to make sure their fellowship is kept to a managable size. To make sure, they don’t have any conditions, use Ulaire Nelya with Buckland Homestead. The Angle can let you draw several more cards to complete your swarm.
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
david_robertson
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:49 am
Looks nice Smile
East Stirling FC RULES!!!
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:40 pm
Thanks. I wanted to make a cool deck for the promotion, but I wanted it to be a deck I had never made before. I couldn't decide on a deck for about 1/2 an hour, and then once I decided which deck to make it took me another 1/2 an hour. Smile
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
dexterngo
Posted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:57 pm
Joined: 20 Jul 2005 Posts: 60 Location: Manila, Philippines
im starting to see a lot of familiar names here Very Happy
Do or do not, there is no try
wimwocker
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:58 am
I wonder if you could revise this for someone on a budget at least the minion side. I want to make a Forest Nazgul minion but I'm short on cash.
LunaticFringe
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 3:39 pm
Forest Nazgul doesn't work that well when short on cash. It's highly dependent on Dark Approach, which allows for as much of a swarm as you can get when it comes to Nazgul, and lets you rattle off things like the Witch-King with a full wrecking crew beside him.

However, if you just have to have it, buy a Gandalf starter from the Shadows set (for Nelya, Moving This Way, and a bunch of key sites), and pick up Lost in the Woods and Black Riders. Those both being uncommon, the most you'll be set back (picking up four of each) would be $17 for as cheap of a Forest Nazgul deck as you can make. You don't necessarially need Witch-Kings, Canteas, and Enqueas, but they sure help. Toldeas are cheap and pull back good killing pumps (which you'll need), and he's a strong minion besides. Just work off the small stuff. Nelya can break a lot of stuff with just Buckland Homestead, but you won't have any way to rattle off hordes of minions with the DA's, which will make your site selection order with Nelya that more important.

If you want to play with Nazgul, but play it on small coin, you may be better off looking into a Shapes Slowly Advancing/Surrounded by Wraiths pairing. Use plentiful non-Fierce Nazgul primarilly out of Black Rider (but other sets have useful stuff, maybe Enduring Attea from Mount Doom, for example), discard your Nazgul in the regroup phase (they should be there since they're not double jeopardizing themselves on the second skirmish), and get double twilight back during the next opponents fellowship when they try to offload their now crap hand. The rares I mentioned (Shapes/Attea) are cheap and easy to get ahold of. Everybody hoards their Approaches. And the Black Captain WK is much cheaper than COTNR, and works just peachy with such a setup.
Cobra
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:24 pm
Excellent advice, LunaticFringe... why haven't you written us an article yet? Wink

With the Shapes deck, I'd also suggest using Spied from Above. You'll be discarding your Nazgul in the regroup phase anyway, and the extra Nazgul (which equals an extra token on Shapes Slowly Advancing) can help speed things up quite a bit.
http://cobracards.com -- Web's best deals on Trading Card Games.
LunaticFringe
Posted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:10 pm
Be careful Cobra- you might just get what you wished for. Wink
Legolas Elf-Prince
Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:02 pm
good dwarves but you may want Axe of Erebor
LunaticFringe
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:29 am
"good dwarves but you may want Axe of Erebor"

It's a standard format War of the Ring Block deck, so he couldn't use AoE if he wanted to.

I realize folks are new, inexperienced, unlearned, etc. But let's all try and focus on helping the builder in the format that it is clear they are trying to work with.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Deck Clinics » War of the Ring Block