LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:48 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Okay, folks! The people have spoken. In my poll about what to do with my next set of Duos, there was a three-way tie between Gollum, Bilbo, and the Free Peoples side of the new Mirkwood culture.

So, I’m picking one. And it’s...GOLLUM!

Dáin’s DC Duos #35

Needless to say, Gollum is a major character in the Lord of the Rings storyline. But he’s also one of only two characters (Gandalf being the other) that’s a major character throughout the WHOLE main storyline, including The Hobbit. We don’t know much about him at the time; his backstory and his true nature are only hinted at until we find out much more in The Fellowship of the Ring. All we really know about him in The Hobbit is that he’s an ugly little creature that terrifies the Moria goblins and Bilbo, yet also has a strange connection with the little hobbit. They play a stressful game of riddle-guessing, afterwhich Gollum figures out that Bilbo has his "precious" in Bilbo’s "nassty little pocketses" and attacks him. Bilbo slips on the Ring in the scuffle, discovers that it turns him invisible, and escapes, leaving Gollum to scream that he hates the nasty Baggins...and setting up the future confrontation between Gollum and another Baggins.

So, for the purposes of my set Lasting Alliances, there will be two different sides of Gollum we explore. The first is his mischievous, threatening side that tells and guesses riddles and plays games, and the other side is dangerous and ferocious and angry. Both are have support cards that make for some of the best corruption potential Lasting Alliances has to offer, which is full of cultures that can beat down the Ring-bearer but not so many that add lots of burdens.

There will also be a very small Free Peoples side focused around when Sméagol and his brother Déagol discovered the Ring.

Now, let’s get this party started with both versions of Gollum. Enjoy!

2Gollum, Pitiful Wretch Gollum
Minion
Strength: 5
Vitality: 4
Site: 4
Lurker.
Shadow: Exert Gollum twice (or once if at an underground site) to take a Gollum riddle into hand from your draw deck (limit twice per phase).
Regroup: Spot 3 riddles (or 2 Gollum riddles) and discard all Gollum riddles to return Gollum to your hand.
“Riddles were all he could think of. Asking them, and sometimes guessing them, had been the only game he had ever played...before he lost all his friends and was driven away, alone, and crept down, down, into the dark under the mountains.”

Here’s the more playful version. I know it’s hard to really review him until you know what riddles are, so I’ll tell you this for now: riddle is simply an unbound keyword very similar to tale. You’ll see it on certain events, conditions, and possibly even other cards, like artifacts. Right now, there’s six Gollum riddles in Lasting Alliances--3 conditions and 3 events--that do all manner of things, from adding burdens or threats or twilight to healing Gollum to reducing a companion’s strength. Collectively, they make Gollum a very versatile little annoyance...especially with this version of Gollum out and especially at underground sites.

2Gollum, Small Slimy Creature Gollum
Minion
Lurker. Fierce.
Each time The One Ring is put on or taken off, add a burden.
Skirmish: Discard a Gollum riddle from play or from hand to make Gollum strength +1 (or +2 if at an underground site) until the regroup phase.
But now the light in Gollum’s eyes had become a green fire, and it was coming swiftly nearer....such a rage of loss and suspicion was in his heart that no sword had any more terror for him.

And here we have a very angry, very deadly Gollum. Not only can he add lots of burdens with his first ability, but he can turn into quite a fighter in the skirmish phase if you choose, as he did, to give up on riddle games.

Don’t worry...you won’t have to wait very long for some riddles: the next Duo will have a couple. Now WHEN I post that Duo--today or tomorrow--will be determined by whether or not #35 gets a couple reviews in the next few hours. And remember, with this being a new thread, your first review gets you a GP. So don’t be shy. Tell me how you feel about these. Smile Thanks!

EDIT: Tweaks made. How do these look now?
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:17 am; edited 14 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Mouth of Saruman
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:08 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 •Gollum, Pitiful Wretch Gollum
Minion
Lurker.
Shadow: Exert Gollum twice (or once if at an underground site) to take a Gollum riddle into hand from your draw deck.
Regroup: Spot 3 riddles (or 2 Gollum riddles) and discard all Gollum riddles to return Gollum to your hand.

“Riddles were all he could think of. Asking them, and sometimes guessing them, had been the only game he had ever played...before he lost all his friends and was driven away, alone, and crept down, down, into the dark under the mountains.”

Interesting. I’ll have to wait until I see some of these riddle cards before I make an assessment of how useful this Gollum is, but he certainly carries potential. I like it. Smile

DáinIronfoot wrote:
2 •Gollum, Small Slimy Creature Gollum
Minion
Lurker. Fierce.
Each time The One Ring’s game text is activated, add a burden.
Skirmish: Discard a Gollum riddle from play or from hand to make Gollum strength +1 until the regroup phase.

But now the light in Gollum’s eyes had become a green fire, and it was coming swiftly nearer....such a rage of loss and suspicion was in his heart that no sword had any more terror for him.

Now this is certainly intriguing. I absolutely love the first game text (can you imagine this with Little Snuffler?). Regarding the second piece of game text, I would have it give an additional bonus if Gollum is underground (such as strength +2 instead).

Very good cards - as usual - Dáin! Very Happy
Last edited by Mouth of Saruman on Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:08 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Gollum, Pitiful Wretch Gollum
Minion
Lurker.
Shadow: Exert Gollum twice (or once if at an underground site) to take a Gollum riddle into hand from your draw deck.

Without knowing what riddles there are, I’d say that his Shadow ability is a bit too good at an underground site. Grabbing 3 riddles seems too powerful.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
2Gollum, Small Slimy Creature Gollum
Minion
Lurker. Fierce.
Each time The One Ring’s game text is activated, add a burden.
Skirmish: Discard a Gollum riddle from play or from hand to make Gollum strength +1 until the regroup phase.

For his first ability, I’d make it: ’Each time The One Ring is put on, add a burden.’

If his 2nd ability made him strength +2, I think it’d be awesome. Smile

- AC

P.S. I just noticed that both Gollums have a site number of 4. Why’d it go up a site? Think
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:13 pm
I’m going to withhold my review until I see some riddles.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:03 pm
I made some changes...better now?

I’ll post another Duo with a couple riddles in a short bit.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:16 pm
Dáin’s DC Duos #36

Ask and ye shall receieve. I think this is the quickest I’ve ever posted a second Duo in the same day. Razz

Here’s a couple Gollum riddles to give you a little better perspective on the two versions of Gollum in Duo #35. Enjoy!

1 Wind Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Riddle.
Make a character skirmishing Gollum strength -2 until the regroup phase.
“‘Voiceless it cries, / Wingless flutters, / Toothless bites, / Mouthless mutters.’”

1Fish Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle.
Response: If you play a Gollum riddle, discard this condition to heal Gollum (twice if you can also spot a riddle from another culture).
“‘Alive without breath, / As cold as death; / Never thirsty, ever drinking, / All in mail never clinking.’”

Obviously, the Shire culture will have its own riddles thanks to Bilbo, but there will be a couple dotted throughout other cultures in my sets as well.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

AnxiousChieftain
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:29 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Wind Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Riddle.
“‘Voiceless it cries, / Wingless flutters, / Toothless bites, / Mouthless mutters.’”

Cool.
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Fish Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle.
Play a Gollum riddle and discard this condition to heal Gollum (twice if you can also spot a riddle from another culture).
“‘Alive without breath, / As cold as death; / Never thirsty, ever drinking, / All in mail never clinking.’”

The healing ability needs a phase. Smile

- AC
MODS RULE. - lem0nhead
NBarden
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:35 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
Dáin’s DC Duos #36

Ask and ye shall receieve. I think this is the quickest I’ve ever posted a second Duo in the same day. Razz

Break a record and do a triple duo today Smile

Here’s a couple Gollum riddles to give you a little better perspective on the two versions of Gollum in Duo #35. Enjoy!

1 Wind Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Riddle.

Nice. Don’t put until the regroup phase, or its a little overpowered with those fierce skirmishes

1Fish Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle.
Play a Gollum riddle and discard this condition to heal Gollum (twice if you can also spot a riddle from another culture).

So these are the riddles...and what they’re gonna be like. If these are the riddles, meant simply to be manipulated by other cards, AWESOME GOLLUMS! Otherwise, Gollum wouldn’t make the cut. This particular one is good. And do slap a phase on it. You wouldn’t what a Gollum, Dark as Darkness combo in the regroup phase.

Obviously, the Shire culture will have its own riddles thanks to Bilbo, but there will be a couple dotted throughout other cultures in my sets as well.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Mouth of Saruman
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:07 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
1 Wind Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Riddle.

Very nice. No complaints. Mr. Green

DáinIronfoot wrote:
1Fish Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle.
Response: If you play a Gollum riddle, discard this condition to heal Gollum (twice if you can also spot a riddle from another culture).

Interesting. As mentioned before, this could become very deadly with Gollum, Dark as Darkness...
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:28 pm
Sorry about the lack of a phase for Fish. Silly mistake. What am I, modern-day Decipher?! Laughing I changed it to a response action, since I THINK that’s what I had in mind when I made it in the first place.

I know Fish seems powerful with Gollum, Dark as Darkness, but there are no Gollum riddles that play during the regroup phase, so it shouldn’t be a problem.

Also, I made a final tweak to Gollum, Small Slimy Creature. How’s he look now?

I’m in the process of awarding GPs for reviews...thanks for the quick responses so far, everyone!

NBarden wrote:
Break a record and do a triple duo today Smile

The people have spoken! I am a man of the people, so I must obey. Your will is my command! Very Happy

Dáin’s DC Duos #37

Ladies and gentlemen, history is being made. Never have three Duos been posted on the same day...until now! Thanks to timely reviews to Duos 35 and 36, I present to you: more riddles! Smile Enjoy!

3Dark Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle. Toil 1. To play, spot Gollum or a Gollum riddle.
You may remove 1 to play this condition during the skirmish phase.
Each companion and ally at an underground site is strength -1 (or -2 if they have resistance 2 or less).
“‘It cannot be seen, cannot be felt, / Cannot be heard, cannot be smelt. / It lies behind stars and under hills, /And empty holes it fills. / It comes first and follows after, / Ends life, kills laughter.’”

1Time Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Riddle. To play, spot Gollum or a Gollum riddle.
Each time the fellowship moves, add 1 (or spot Gollum to add [X], where X is the current region number).
“‘This thing all things devours: / Birds, beasts, trees, flowers; / Gnaws iron, bites steel; / Grinds hard stones to meal; / Slays king, ruins town, / And beats high mountain down.’”

EDIT: Changes made to both cards. How are they now?
EDIT 2: Another tweak to Dark after AC’s review.
Last edited by DáinIronfoot on Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 3 times in totalBest regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards