LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
66%
  [ 6 ]  66%

22%
  [ 2 ]  22%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
Felipe Musco
Posted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:47 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
bandfreak9 wrote:
Not bored with you just missing the old articles that I read through a couple weeks ago like Bioflex is an old one or your rubber field deck both were interesting and new ideas
Its not just you but all of Cobra Cards seems to have become more focused on card choices not unique decks

That’s what lead me to believe you didn’t like the article, after all, well, every single deck here is unique. Now, they don’t mess around crazy combos (and how could they, on such tight budget, right?), but well, they give you a chance to kick some ass in FNMs, at least! Wink Anyways, sorry to misinterpret you, and I’d also liek to thank you for requesting the article, since it’s been FUN to compose all these decks! I even assembled a group of casual play, since I happen to have almost all the cards needed for those decks anyway! Golgari build will be up tomorrow night, tops! Drop by, I think you’ll like it!
I don't like YOU.
dzejkej
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:30 am
I really like this article, because I am more of a beginning MtG player that want to start attending FNM to socialize and get some DCI rewards Wink and investing much money into decks that will be rotated out soon and will not be that dangerous in my hands yet doesn’t sounds like good idea.

With this decks I can feel some power of their bigger and expensive brothers Smile.

Keep up the good work, Felipe!

DzejKej
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:42 am
Thanks, and welcome to the boards! Well, supposing you already have some cards on you, any kind of request on a budget deck using some of them you’d like to make? Until the end of the month, I’m incorporating those in the article! Wink
I don't like YOU.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Ok, Golgari deck up and running!
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:49 pm
Thanx felipe I don’t have time to look at it right now but once my computer gets fixed I’ll be on it

Edit: Just read (cause my computer is fixed!) it. I like it alot just not Darkheart Sliver all that much hmm with enchantments why not Dark Heart of the Wood but then again land is important just some thoughts love the build
And sorry if I led you to believe I didn’t like the article I’ve been looking forward to it for a month I was just stating the fact that I never see any funky incredibly surprising decks. If no one else posts a deck build try to make a funky combo deck. Now if you can do that and make it really good I’ll give you a five and a gp and maybe another (although I’ll probably give you a five anyway I just want to see what you’ll come up with)
The First
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:12 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
A few pointers for the mono black aggro you posted;

I would use 4x Rusalka instead of the Golbin. The reason for this is that the Rusalka does more or less the same for 1 mana but the pro is that it can kill regenerators like the Mire Boa and that it can be done with any creature in need of saccing Wink On top, you don’t HAVE to use the effect. If you have 1 Dark Confidant in play along with a Festering Goblin for instance (and your opponent does not have any creatures) then killing the Goblin would force you to deal damage to your confidant…

I’d drop the Drekavac. While he is pretty good in a Rakdos madness deck, it will generate card disadvantage. I’d rather use a creature with lower stats and evasion then to spend 2 mana and 1 card on the Drekavac, especially with a few $$ to spare (to reach $20). What about a Foul Imp at $0,10 or Dauthi Slayer at $1,00?

Nantuko Husk does not seem to fit but it is a nice creature.

Maybe put the Totem 3x in sb. Not very useful in md imo.

Drop the Dash Hopes. Keeping 2 mana free is not aggro minded. You can keep 2 mana free but only to play good removal cards like the Last Gasp. Dash Hopes is not a good card either. Take 5 to the head or counter a spell? Meh…

Smallpox is devastating even in a deck like this one. Ok, you will not play 4 copies but I like my 3 Small Poxes in my aggro deck this far. Sudden Death might also be a good card to add to this deck. Both Small Pox and the Sudden Death are at $1.

Adding money for greater value:

Dark Confidant and Hypnotic Spector are beasts in your deck. The Confidant will give you card advantage while the Spector will randomly select cards and discard them. He can be seen as some sort of finisher. Imo they add more value than an Urborg or even the Nether Traitor.

I would also like to promote Temporal Extortion. Has somehow the same feel as Browbeat. Play it before attack phase. You either get a 2nd attack phase or you will cut your opponent’s life total into 2 halves. Yikes! I like the card this far and it only costs $3. I do think that it is mostly casual though.
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
dzejkej
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:18 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Thanks, and welcome to the boards! Well, supposing you already have some cards on you, any kind of request on a budget deck using some of them you’d like to make? Until the end of the month, I’m incorporating those in the article! Wink

Thanks for warm welcome Smile! I really appreciate that you are offering your time to build a deck from cards I have Homage .

At the moment I have 9th ed core game cards, Custom Creatures and Army of Justice PCDs and >6 Time Spiral boosters and >10 Planar Chaos boosters. Two other 9th ed PCDs are on the way Wink.

Having cards from boosters unfortunately means not a lot of them is in more copies, which doesn’t look that useful unless I want to smuggle deck from built from them to a limited game Embarassed .

I’m now in process of doing a deck list in MWS, so I can put it somewhere (and export it before in HTML or some other format if you don’t have MWS) if you want to check the cards. But then I won’t be able to sleep tight till I don’t do something useful to you too [what about those gold coins? Think ].
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:41 pm
Hah, no sweat! That’s what I’m here for! Well, you could always not give me a one on my article, that kinda helps! Wink (internal joke, don’t worry) But don’t worry, I enjoy building decks, and usually, after The First or LSG drop by with criticism, they look quite good!
I don't like YOU.
corvus
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:49 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
Good job! Long and informative, though a bit tiring... Wink

However, it offered a wide variety of decks to choose from, AND a good strategy to better help with.

Besides the article, i know i asked for a dragon deck as well, but i will make it myself and ask you to rate it. Moreover, i will now make the deck you requested in LOTR in the deck clinic. 4 from me.
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:09 am
The First wrote:
A few pointers for the mono black aggro you posted;

I would use 4x Rusalka instead of the Golbin. The reason for this is that the Rusalka does more or less the same for 1 mana but the pro is that it can kill regenerators like the Mire Boa and that it can be done with any creature in need of saccing Wink On top, you don’t HAVE to use the effect. If you have 1 Dark Confidant in play along with a Festering Goblin for instance (and your opponent does not have any creatures) then killing the Goblin would force you to deal damage to your confidant…

I’d drop the Drekavac. While he is pretty good in a Rakdos madness deck, it will generate card disadvantage. I’d rather use a creature with lower stats and evasion then to spend 2 mana and 1 card on the Drekavac, especially with a few $$ to spare (to reach $20). What about a Foul Imp at $0,10 or Dauthi Slayer at $1,00?

Nantuko Husk does not seem to fit but it is a nice creature.

Maybe put the Totem 3x in sb. Not very useful in md imo.

Drop the Dash Hopes. Keeping 2 mana free is not aggro minded. You can keep 2 mana free but only to play good removal cards like the Last Gasp. Dash Hopes is not a good card either. Take 5 to the head or counter a spell? Meh…

Smallpox is devastating even in a deck like this one. Ok, you will not play 4 copies but I like my 3 Small Poxes in my aggro deck this far. Sudden Death might also be a good card to add to this deck. Both Small Pox and the Sudden Death are at $1.

Adding money for greater value:

Dark Confidant and Hypnotic Spector are beasts in your deck. The Confidant will give you card advantage while the Spector will randomly select cards and discard them. He can be seen as some sort of finisher. Imo they add more value than an Urborg or even the Nether Traitor.

I would also like to promote Temporal Extortion. Has somehow the same feel as Browbeat. Play it before attack phase. You either get a 2nd attack phase or you will cut your opponent’s life total into 2 halves. Yikes! I like the card this far and it only costs $3. I do think that it is mostly casual though.

Sorry, The First, this post totally slipped my sight. I thought about Foul Imp too, but I feel more confortable with Drekavac due to the raw power he has, not to mention it could well be fighting other non-rares such as Kird Apes, Scab-Clan Maulers and Watchwolves. But yeah, I suppose that if you feel a lack of evasion, and not that much need for a beatstick, you could switch them. For an all around build, however, Dreavac is usually better. However, you COULD drop one for another Rusalka, to better fit your needs. Smallpox and Sudden Death were kept out for a more friendly budget, but either one can EASILY come in replacing Dash Hopes. However, Dash Hopes’s been a pet card of mine ever since I laid eyes on it, and it sort of plays the role of removal (or at least a fair amount of damage), no mentioning it’s one of the few answers (ok, at least a good shot at being an answer Razz ) to, say, enchantments. But well, I might just go and say it’s there mostly because I like it, and that if you don’t like it, you can feel free to squeeze in your own pet card (say, 3 Smallpox and 1 Temporal Extortion? Wink ). But the one thing I found out about monoblack aggro by making that deck, though, is one painful truth: in order to make it really good, you’ll have to spend some money on it... Sad Well, I guess that’s just the way it is, black is not THE aggro color, so when you want to push a color into doing something it’s not usually supposed to, you end up needing a few rares. But thanks for the feedback, sorry if I didn’t made up to your expectations on it! Can get’em all right, now can we? Very Happy
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest