LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:32 pm
Now that the Dwarves have all been posted (although reviews on them are more than welcome)...

We will be introducing the Gollum culture today. Gollum is the culture that doesn’t really change. It has a Shadow side and a Fellowship side.
We’re going to start with the Shadow side, including the already posted Gollum card. The Gollum fellowship focuses on Gollum’s skirmishing talents, as well as his partnership with Shelob and her kind. As for the minions... well, you’ll have to wait until the fellowship is revealed.

Today, we focus on Gollum, the sneak...

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
4 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
Ring-bound.
While Gollum is not the Ring-bearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer, add a burden to make Gollum strength +2 (limit +4).
DC107

The generic Ring-bearer in this set, Gollum is a dangerous opponent despite his hobbit-like strength. Without the Ring, he is desperate to protect it, as he plans to get it. With it, he can use its power to take out decently strengthed opponents.
Of course, he’s already been posted, so what of his support?

1 •Secrets Gollum
Condition
Bearer must be Gollum. Each minion skirmishing him is strength -1.
Response: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer and a burden is added, discard Secrets to take off The One Ring.
"’He became sharp-eyed and keen-eared for all that was hurtful. The ring had given him power according to his stature.’"
DR114

Gollum is much different than the small, simple thing he appears. He not only gets bursts of strength, he knows more than he appears to. Particularly about how to strike at weak points. But he can also shake off his opponents, using his own knowledge to make himself harder to corrupt by force.

2 •Vanished Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum.
Each time the fellowship moves, place no twilight token for Gollum.
Regroup: Spot Gollum to make the move limit +1 and remove 5. Discard this condition.
"’He wormed his way like a maggot into the heart of the hills, and vanished out of all knowledge.’"
DC126

Gollum’s strength is, above all else, in preventing himself from being found. Even when he’s with others, he lets the more obvious companions draw the attention of his opponents. And he finally is able to disappear and get to the next location while his enemy is left paying attention to where he had previously been.

0 Strangulation Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Suspend the current phase. Begin a skirmish phase between Gollum and a minion. You may add 2 to exert that minion. When the skirmish phase ends, resume the suspend phase.
DC123

And finally, he springs out for his hunter’s neck. Much like the version for the minion, Gollum can start a skirmish before he normally would. But if he can get both hands around the neck, he’ll be able to make his target weaker, although it’ll draw more attention to him.
Last edited by BattleWarg on Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:50 pm; edited 8 times in totalOur time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:00 am
Well, today we’ll feature a few more Gollum support, transitioning to the other Gollum character...

1 Single Blow Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Make Gollum strength +4. Minions skirmishing Gollum do not take wounds during this skirmish.
DR117

The key to Gollum’s fighting style is here. Take them out right away, with your first shot. Otherwise they get to fight back, and will take him down.

2 Promise to Shelob Gollum
Condition
To play, spot Shelob. Bearer must be Gollum.
Skirmish: If the fellowship is at site X, place X wounds on Shelob and Gollum to discard a minion assigned to skirmish Gollum. At the end of this skirmish, discard this condition.
DR112

Gollum and Shelob can work together to take out minions. Even swarms are able to be taken down by it, although the boost will be lost once fulfilled.

1 Many Exits Gollum
Condition
Plays on Shelob.
Response: If Shelob is about to be discarded, discard this condition instead.
"Too little did he or his master know of the craft of Shelob."
DU110

Of course, the other character is Shelob. And this card shows her tunnels (and her knowledge of them). She is able to evade capture. If killed, it doesn’t actually do anything, but with 4 copies of these on her, and it would take 5 discards to take her out as she slips between tunnels only to come back.
Last edited by BattleWarg on Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in totalOur time here is ending...

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:58 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
BattleWarg wrote:
2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
3 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
While Gollum is not the Ring-bearer, he may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled.
Skirmish: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer, add a burden to make Gollum strength +2 (limit +4).
DC107

Cool. I might suggest slightly higher strength, like 4. Oh, and he should probably be Ring-bound. But otherwise he’s pretty good.

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Secrets Gollum
Condition
Response: If Gollum is the Ring-bearer and a burden is added, discard Secrets to take off The One Ring.
"’He became sharp-eyed and keen-eared for all that was hurtful. The ring had given him power according to his stature.’"
DR114

Cool. Needs to be unique, though.

BattleWarg wrote:
2 Vanished Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum.
Regroup: Spot Gollum to make the move limit +1 and remove 5. Discard this condition.
"’He wormed his way like a maggot into the heart of the hills, and vanished out of all knowledge.’"
DC126

Again, needs to be unique. I think the regroup action is a little too good also. Perhaps just leave off the "remove 5" part, or greatly reduce it (like 2 or 3 at the most).

BattleWarg wrote:
0 Strangulation Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Add a threat to assign a minion to skirmish Gollum. You may add 2 to exert that minion. Start a skirmish between Gollum and that minion, and continue the phase as normal after this skirmish phase.
DC123

Wording needs to more closely match the similar A Dark Shape Sprang. Also, I think you can drop the adding of a threat, at least if Gollum is the RB.

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Single Blow Gollum
Event • Skirmish
Make Gollum strength +4. Minions skirmishing Gollum do not take wounds during this skirmish.
DR117

I don’t get it. This looks to me like it keeps Gollum from losing, but does nothing if he wins since minions cannot take wounds when they lose.

BattleWarg wrote:
Condition
Skirmish: If the fellowship is at site X, place X wounds on Shelob and Gollum to discard a minion assigned to skirmish Gollum. At the end of this skirmish, discard this condition.
DR112

Very cool! GP

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Many Exits Gollum
Condition
Plays on Shelob.
Response: If Shelob would be discarded, discard this condition instead.
DU110

I think it should be "is about to be discarded" instead. And I think four of these would be too good. Perhaps limit 2 per bearer or something.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:54 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
BattleWarg wrote:

2 •Gollum, Gifted Gollum
Companion
3 Strength
4 Vitality
8 Ringed Resistance
DC107
to make him strength +2.(or ...) other wise good

1 Secrets Gollum
Condition
DR114
or prevent that burden from being added maybe?

2 Vanished Gollum
Condition • Support Area
To play, spot Gollum.
DC126
IDK how you would word that companion cost, anyway right now it is INCREDIBLY overpowered. make it and add 5 or 3 or something and exert gollum

0 Strangulation Gollum
Event • Maneuver
Add a threat to assign a minion to skirmish Gollum. You may add 2 to exert that minion. Start a skirmish between Gollum and that minion, and continue the phase as normal after this skirmish phase.
DC123

make it you may exert that minion.
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:01 pm
DáinIronfoot wrote:
BattleWarg wrote:
1 Single Blow Gollum
Event • Skirmish
DR117

I don’t get it. This looks to me like it keeps Gollum from losing, but does nothing if he wins since minions cannot take wounds when they lose.

Well, true, it would do that, but I actually had the other side of it in mind. It’s more for overwhelming, but if they are able to respond, they get the advantage.

DáinIronfoot wrote:
BattleWarg wrote:
1 Many Exits Gollum
Condition
Plays on Shelob.
Response: If Shelob would be discarded, discard this condition instead.
DU110

I think it should be "is about to be discarded" instead. And I think four of these would be too good. Perhaps limit 2 per bearer or something.

I think I’ll wait on the limit until Shelob is shown... Mr. Green
Our time here is ending...

sickofpalantirs
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:06 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
BattleWarg wrote:
Well, today we’ll feature a few more Gollum support, transitioning to the other Gollum character...

1 Single Blow Gollum
Event • Skirmish
DR117
wait, so this is to keep him from being overwhelmed right? maybe minions cannot exert either?

Condition
DR112
that skirmish... should be assign X wounds methinks

1 Many Exits Gollum
Condition
Plays on Shelob.
Response: If Shelob is about to be discarded, discard this condition instead.
DU110

wait isn’t shelob a companion? if so why would this be useful? how could she be discarded anyway?
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
BattleWarg
Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:30 pm
BattleWarg wrote:
1 Single Blow Gollum
Event • Skirmish
DR117
wait, so this is to keep him from being overwhelmed right? maybe minions cannot exert either?

Actually, it is intended to be used to help him overwhelm the minions. However, I have noted that it helps prevent him from being overwhelmed/losing skirmishes.

sickofpalantirs wrote:
wait isn’t shelob a companion? if so why would this be useful? how could she be discarded anyway?

Shame on you Who said that? Mr. Green

As I’ll be out of town this weekend (and don’t know how my internet access will be affected), I’ll put a few more cards up than normal, so that more can be reviewed for when I get back. Smile So, presenting Shelob...

4 •Shelob, The Great Gollum
Ally • Spider • Home Site 7M
8 Strength
8 Vitality
Enduring.
Regroup:
Exert Shelob to wound a minion. If that minion is killed, spot Gollum to heal Shelob.
"But her lust was not his lust. Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand."
DR115

Correct, Shelob, the Ally. Personally, I think it fits her perfectly (as Gollum or Sauron...), as she just stays in one space, and hunts prey and eats them. Gollum just brings the prey to her, and she’ll eat it. But she can’t be everywhere, so how about a little help for her?

1 Strung Webs Gollum
Possession • Support Area
While the fellowship is at an underground site, Shelob is strength +2.
Each minion gains: "Assignment: Shelob may be assigned to skirmishes. Assign this minion to skirmish Shelob."
Skirmish: Wound a minion skirmishing Shelob. Discard this possession.
DC124

When the fellowship moves through her tunnels, the webs can trap and slow down the invaders, making her seem stronger. But, those that know what they’re doing (or just do what they’re told Twisted Evil ) can pull on the webs to draw her attention.
Of course, she can actually use them to rush those that catch the webs, although it destroys them.
Then again, she wasn’t always alone in her tunnels...

0 Lesser Broods Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Shelob is defender +1.
Shadow:
Play a Gollum follower to heal a Gollum ally. Discard this condition.
"Spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood."
DU109

This is how her spawn help her fight. But what are the Gollum followers? You’ll see tomorrow Laughing
I felt that the defender bonus doesn’t make it too powerful, as the only way to assign her to multiple minions are through the minions themselves or at her home. If you can keep out four Lesser Broods and four Strung Webs, you’ll get a free move through an underground site 7 (basically), but anywhere else, it’s just a single minion less (if it helps your opponent).

However, I’ll tell you that there are 3 cards remaining on this side of Gollum culture, and they are all followers.
Last edited by BattleWarg on Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in totalOur time here is ending...

DáinIronfoot
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:29 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
BattleWarg wrote:
16 Strength
8 Vitality
Enduring.
Regroup:
Exert Shelob to wound a minion. If that minion is killed, spot Gollum to heal Shelob.
"But her lust was not his lust. Little she knew of or cared for towers, or rings, or anything devised by mind or hand."
DR115

I like the idea of being an ally, but I think you need to either drop enduring or lower her strength back down to the normal 8. Otherwise she’s WAY too good.

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Strung Webs Gollum
While the fellowship is at an underground site, Shelob is strength +2. Each minion gains: "Assignment: Shelob may be assigned to skirmishes. Assign this minion to skirmish Shelob."
DC124

I THINK you meant for this to work only at underground sites. If so, you need to make that clear, as the "minion gains" text works everywhere as written right now.

Personally, I’d change the card a little bit with something like this:

2 Strung Webs Gollum
While the fellowship is at an underground site, Shelob is strength +2 and may be assigned to skirmishes, and each minion gains this ability: "Assignment: Assign this minion to skirmish Shelob."

I raised the twilight cost a smidge and changed the wording to be a little cleaner.

BattleWarg wrote:
0 Lesser Broods Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Shelob is defender +1.
Shadow:
Play a Gollum follower to heal a Gollum ally.
"Spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Duath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood."
DU109

Interesting. You’re right: the defender bonus only really helps at Site 7.

Still, I think it should either be unique or should discard itself when it uses the Shadow ability.

Very interesting and cool cards. GP
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:04 pm
BattleWarg wrote:
16 Strength
8 Vitality
Enduring.
Regroup:
DR115

Her home site should be site 8, IMO. And a 16 strength ally? Shocked I would do as Dain suggested; drop enduring or lower her strength to 8. Thumbs Up

BattleWarg wrote:
1 Strung Webs Gollum
While the fellowship is at an underground site, Shelob is strength +2. Each minion gains: "Assignment: Shelob may be assigned to skirmishes. Assign this minion to skirmish Shelob."
DC124

Cool! Smile

BattleWarg wrote:
0 Lesser Broods Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Shelob is defender +1.
Shadow:
DU109

I would make it unique, or you could have a defender +4 Shelob. Razz
I had to put something here.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 2:09 pm
BattleWarg wrote:

16 Strength
8 Vitality
Enduring.
Regroup:
DR115
the card still doesn’t help if she is killed but, wording might be wrong but I am not sure. bring her strength down say.. 6.

1 Strung Webs Gollum
DC124
well, then they could choose whether or not to assign her, maybe make it add 2 threats?to assign her to skirmish a minion?

0 Lesser Broods Gollum
Condition • Support Area
Shelob is defender +1.
Shadow:
DU109
since she is enduring, healing her would be rather, counter-intuitive IMO

"DáinIronfoot"

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Dream Cards