LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 3 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 3
The First
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:42 pm
Joined: 07 Oct 2005 Posts: 195 Location: Anderlecht, Belgium
--- description ---
Casual play - standard format - Budget deck
--- end description ---

And yes, he did it again!” is probably a sentence that I will hear quite a few more times the following weeks as I take this deck to slaughter my friends’ decks (or at least to make them laugh to distract them long enough to execute my evil plan to eat all of their Choco-toffs, which will take a very, very long time according to the commercial).

Something deep inside me knew that I was going to make this deck eventually. Yes, I made an Izzet deck. An Izzet aggro in fact. Not the less farfetched, kinda logical combo control kind of Izzet deck. No I had to make the aggro variant. Which Includes all the whacky cards that I wanted to use for quite some time but that I could not place directly into a decktype. All in all, I must say that I did a fine job.

The idea for this deck actually came from a Rakdos madness deck that I wanted to build, and probably will in the future. Cards like the Big Game Hunter and Fiery Temper are pretty nice. Reckless Wurm would have been my “finisher”. When one of my twisted eyes cought a glimpse from Looter il-kor, I was immediatley sold and determined to use it in a deck. Then, all of a sudden the combo clicked. Looter il-kor and madness… well, it is just madness.

Creature discussion :

Looter il-kor – the centerpiece of my deck. Why? It is comparable to Dark Confidant aka “Bob”. Sacrificing the 1 power for Shadow is a good trade-off imo. Bob often dies when attacking so Shadow will give Lil’K some protection. The draw engine is also less painful. You do not actually gain card advantage with it but it will get you to the cards you need to finish the game faster. You only need to sacrifice a land or another less useful card in return. I think that’s fair.

Drifter il-dal – A Kird Ape with evasion but he is a lot less tough than the big ape is when surrounded by his normal habitat. He also has an ennoying draw-back. But he gets the job done. A regular Sir Kost-A-Lot but his belt is wicked.

Karplusan Wolverine – A cheap 1 drop which will get the damage through or deal 1 damage to any creature or player. Seems cool.

Keldon Marauders – Come on, everybody wants to use these at least once. 2 for a possible 5 damage? I’m there. A 3/3 blocker on turn two is nothing to sneeze at.

Two-Headed Sliver – 2 for a 1/1 body… meh. His ability makes all the difference though. This card will kill something when being blocked as most aggro decks have some low toughness creatures and control decks have Llanowar Elves or Elves of Deep Shadow. In the worst case, he will keep two creatures busy at the same time or deal some damage.

Wee Dragonauts – Something red, something blue, some men are flying in the sky, just for you. With all the soceries and instants in this deck, I had to add the faeries. A 3/3 flying for 3 mana is good. 5/3 is even better. PS: Wizards? I can actually see the ropes attached to their bodies.

Reckless Wurm – 5 for a 4/4 trample is not that bad. A 4/4 trampling wurm for 3 is great. However the odds are not that great.
Simian-Spirit Guide – I considered this guy to be able to play spells out of the blue and to accelerate my mana curve a bit. I have a lot of 1-drops. But I dropped it because it is major card disadvantage. The Slivers took their place. Cost less and far more efficient.

Sorceries :

Rift Bolt – Any questions? Thought not. This thing is hotter than a Seal of Fire.

Compulsive Research – Was meant to be an alternative to discard madness cards from your hand. But it did not survive playtesting. 3 mana is a lot for this deck. It just does not fit.

Browbeat – is a good alternative for Compulsive Research. To be honest, I did not test it in my deck. I did not miss this card even though I think that it rocks in my savage Gruul deck.

Instants :

Pongify – In this deck, there are quite some targets for Pongification. First you have the Keldon Marauders, then you have those mana consuming Drifter il-dal, possible dying creatures… They are useful. A 3/3 for 1 is good and it pumps my Faeries. Joy!

Brute Force – Deal some extra damage or make a creature survive. Good reasons to add a set of these. BTW Go Dragonauts. Love your act so far.

Fiery Temper – 3 damage for 1. I like it. Similar to the Rift Bolt and maybe Brute Force but you need to discard it. Cut down to 3 copies. Great combo with the Lil’ K though. Attack, play Brute Force and the Fiery Temper. Total of 7 damage.

Schismotivate – This card has some great potential but at the cost of 3, it can sit in your hand for some time. I cut it down to 2 copies. You really don’t want 2 of those in your starting hand or within the ten first card that you draw.

Enchantments :

Taste for Mayhem – Is dropped because I have trouble to clear my hand before I kill my adversary.

Deck list :

Creatures 22

3x Drifter il-dal
2x Karplusan Wolverine
4x Looter il-kor
4x Keldon Marauders
3x Two-Headed Sliver
4x Wee Dragonauts
2x Reckless Wurm

Sorceries 4

4x Rift Bolt

Instants 12

3x Pongify
4x Brute Force
3x Fiery Temper
2x Schismotivate

Mana cost -- No Madness -- Madness

1cc 16 - 19
2cc 11 - 11
3cc 09 - 08
5cc 02 - 00

Landcount is 22. I think this can be justified with 16-19 1-drops and 11 2-drops.

3x Shivan Reef
3x Steam Vents
5x Island
11x Mountain

I have the feeling that the bouncelands from Ravnica might be playable instead of the pain- and shocklands. I have a whole arsenal of weapons which I can play for 1 or 2 mana, so the 2nd or 3rd land drop can be a bounceland. Most of the time, I did not need to use the mana fixing capabilities of the shock- and painlands though. Gemstone Mine is another option.

Hope you enjoyed my little article.

- The First
Great minds bleed alike.
Do not copy media. Support creativity.
bandfreak9
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:08 pm
Hey you know this deck could be considered budget if you take out the pain lands and Shivian Reef. I think it might be about $10 if you took those out. I haven’t gotten a chance to play test it but I just happened to notice. I’m glad someone made a deck that doesn’t cost about $80 to make
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:31 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
You may want to check an old article by BrianBoitano, he submited a deck MUCH like this (although it had fewer cards available at the time, it’s Pre-TS). Of course, due to this fact, to me, the article is not too original, although it’s a neat idea. Also, I think it could use some playtesting, or at least some sample hands.
Then, I don’t think Karplusan Wolverine and the Slivers are THAT good... Maybe you could try to squeeze in some counterspells top back up your tiny army, after all, one Pyroclasm can almost kill you! Also, Keldon Marauders without rescueing is... less than optimal. You could try Thick-Skinned Goblin, since you DEFINITELY could use some removal, and Pyrohemia is GREAT at this with one of those guys out! Right now, I’d rate this article a 3 (because I’ve already seen one much like this, at least in the same lines, and better conceived). Normally, I’d tell you that, let you improve it a bit, and then get back to rate it with improvements, but due to lack of time before the end of the month, I’ll rate it a 3 right now, hope you don’t feel mad.
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:51 pm
Hey you have a lot of cheap spells right and late game you may be looking for some help try an Empty the Warrens and if you want to give them a good ability try using Hivestone and maybe a Bonesplitter Sliver
3/1 evasive goblins and if you just want a quick finish maybe Surge of Zeal

Of course that might change the focus a bit but could help

Right now I think I’ll give you a 3 too but only because it seems like you through it together quickly and you don’t have a matchup list
The First
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:17 pm
@ Bandfreak 9 - I actually put in the pain- and shocklands because I have them. Why would I not put them into my deck? But like I said, this deck does not really need them. Take a bunch of mountains (12-14) and a bunch of Islands (8-10) and I think that this deck will still perform as supposed. It is supposed to be casual and budget. AND a lot of FUN.

I thought about empty the warrens. However, like you said, this is not the deck to put it in. 3cc cards are already expensive for this deck. I threw out Compulsive Research for instance because it was too expensive. The warrens cost 4 without playing any other spell...

I don’t really want any useless cards like Hivestone. I have a total of 3 Slivers so... But I like the idea of Hivestone along with some useful slivers. It does not fit this deck.

Surge of Zeal on the other hand is a great idea.

I don’t like to make matchup lists. It would also make this artcile less casual IMO. I play my decks in multiple formats. Both Standard, multiplayer, casual and extended. I did do some research on this deck. I planned to post it two weeks ago but it took longer to get this deck up and running the way I wanted it to. It really has the weird and aggro feel when playing with it. It can just kill in two or three blows.
Great minds bleed alike.
The First
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:59 pm
Knowing that most of this deck is from Timespiral, Coldsnap and Planar Chaos and that I actually recollect that deck, it must be very different.

If I’m not mistaken, it relied on pumping the Faeries and attack later, while mine is all about fast damage. The average mana cost is a bit lower. The Faeries are nice finishers but are not at all vital.

Counterspells? In an aggro deck? I don’t want to keep mana available for counterspells. Marauders without rescueing?? What is that supposed to mean? Let them die. If they deal 5 damage, I’m more than pleased. With the suggested Surge of Zeal, they can deal 8 damage. GREAT!

What does the Goblin has to offer? A 2/1 for 2 mana... Ok it has protection from red and cancels echo. But I have no cards with echo in this deck.

Pyrohemia??? Costs too much AND it will kill my creatures. I’m also not focused on the opponents creatures but on dealing damage efficiently and fast.

I can’t help feeling a bit mad. You critisize this deck but I feel that you haven’t even read my article. It is all about speed, aggro and low mana curve. You suggest cards that add nothing to this and cards which have no synergy with my deck what-so-ever. Give this deck a chance. It plays quite different from the one made by BrainBoitano I’m sure.
Great minds bleed alike.
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:50 pm
Yes, it does. ANd I like your list better. However, it still don’t seem to be able to deal 20 against my friend’s Gruul, for instance, and it’s budget too. Also, as I said, counterspells and removal never hurt a deck, and you still have room for 15 more cards in it, since you didn’t list a sideboard... Wink
Then again, as I said before, I love your writing style, more light-hearted, but this article just seems like it was done (not entirely, mind you) in a hurry so it could be posted before the end of the month, basically becuase there was only one article running. I see no problem in seizing the opportunity, but that doesn’t make the article a well done one, like the ones I’ve seen from you. Sorry. Also, a 3 does not lower your gp count, and still qualifies you to run for the month, so I don’t see that big of a problem. Had you waited around a bit more, you’d get AT LEAST a 4 for sure, since we’d have the chance to discuss possible changes, and formatting too, for instance, you could have didived the cards into a "Cards that didn’t make it" section or something. Also, if this is meant as a budget deck, you should definitely cut the pains and shocks from the main list, and add a "Putting money into it" section, which for budget decks I think it’s even more important that a match-up section (after all, it’s just not fair to write a match-up section on a budget deck, I mean, how fun is putting this against Boros Deck Wins?).
I don't like YOU.
bandfreak9
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:41 pm
Sorry just an idea off the top of my head but it’s given me an idea for a deck. Glad I could help in some small way.

O I’m extremely glad you made a deck that costs very little I was just commenting on how I could make the deck without spending $80+ if you have the painlands go ahead and play them

And Felipe he didn’t say it was budget in the beginning but I like seeing a general idea of what its good against. Being a new player who only plays against like 7 to 8 friends and sometimes the occasional pick up game at a cardstore I’d just like to know if its good against agro, control, etc. Because I know what my friends play it can be helpful to know if a deck would work well against what they play
Felipe Musco
Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:25 pm
That’s what I meant. Not being budget, this article lacks match-up analysis, which unfortunately, with this list, I think would be very poor. Aside from LD, I don’t see this deck beating decks playing Wrath of God or Damnation main, not to mention decks with burn and bigger creatures at a lower cost. I like the idea, I’m a big fan of different decks, but those decks are more casual/budget-ish decks.
Then, if this deck WAS supposed to be budget, it’s got a kind of poor (actually, "rich" Laughing ) budget decklist due to the rare lands (that’s the biggest hint it’s NOT supposed to be budget, which is why my first comment was about not having a match-up list), and if it was supposed to be budget-ish, it should have a section about adding money to it.
I’m not dissing the article itself, The First is a very talented writer, and I wish I could hold an audience like he does (I had a good laugh at the beggining!) while talking about fun, casual decks, but due to a lack of time, he HAD to haste the article a little, and due to voting deadline, we didn’t have a lot of time to discuss it. If we did have, I’d have asked for the appropriate missing section, and vote after it was done (and a few tweaks, of course), but I wanted to make sure he’d run for February’s Contest, so I had to go with my first impression grading, since I didn’t have time to let him reply (it was almost midnight when I dropped by). Really sorry for that. But as I said, no damage was done.
I don't like YOU.
The First
Posted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 12:33 pm
Felipe Musco wrote:
Yes, it does. ANd I like your list better. However, it still don’t seem to be able to deal 20 against my friend’s Gruul, for instance, and it’s budget too. Also, as I said, counterspells and removal never hurt a deck, and you still have room for 15 more cards in it, since you didn’t list a sideboard... Wink

Gruul does not have shadow nor flying. They also do not hold creatures behind to block my slivers. So a lot of my creatures will come through. And when they blast my creatures, I cam pump them or Pongify them in response. I also have burn for some removal. I have not tested it against Gruul - I’m the only person in my casual meta that plays Gruul - but Im not convinced that I cannot win it. It will be a close match-up for both decks IMO.

Counterspells in general do not hurt your deck except if you want to maintain a certain tempo. This deck can maybe keep 1 mana free but not two or more. I don’t think that I will add counterspells, not even in the sideboard - which I do not make for any deck. I played Star Wars CCG so I am used to put all answers in 1 deck. Most of my decks are pretty versatile. I could try to make a sb for this but I reckon it could be though to do so.

Quote:

Then again, as I said before, I love your writing style, more light-hearted, but this article just seems like it was done (not entirely, mind you) in a hurry so it could be posted before the end of the month, basically becuase there was only one article running. I see no problem in seizing the opportunity, but that doesn’t make the article a well done one, like the ones I’ve seen from you. Sorry. Also, a 3 does not lower your gp count, and still qualifies you to run for the month, so I don’t see that big of a problem. Had you waited around a bit more, you’d get AT LEAST a 4 for sure, since we’d have the chance to discuss possible changes, and formatting too, for instance, you could have didived the cards into a "Cards that didn’t make it" section or something. Also, if this is meant as a budget deck, you should definitely cut the pains and shocks from the main list, and add a "Putting money into it" section, which for budget decks I think it’s even more important that a match-up section (after all, it’s just not fair to write a match-up section on a budget deck, I mean, how fun is putting this against Boros Deck Wins?).

I write most of my articles in about 2-4 hours. The thought process and playtesting takes a lot more time. I’m actually pondering on a deck for more than 1 month now. I hope to get it finished for next month - or this one actually - but I cannot promise you anything Wink Thanks about the compliment concerning my writing style though.

I added cards that did not make this deck and gave the resaon why they did not. I also took a lot of time to get all of the copy counts in my deck correct.

I actually don’t mind getting a three of even less. What I do mind is that you think that this deck is not original. Or that I put it toghether without putting much thought into it.

If you take a look at the deck’s description, you will notice that I gave a format to this deck being casual, standard and budget. I mentioned that I put in the pain and shock lands but that they are not necessary.
Great minds bleed alike.

Forum index » Magic: The Gathering » MTG Strategy Article Contest