LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

44%
  [ 4 ]  44%

11%
  [ 1 ]  11%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 9
Anautikus
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:33 am
--- description ---
A fun article discussing various types of archery/wounding strategies and decks.
--- end description ---

The bow can reach what the sword cannot.

The concept of archery is known to be very effective in LotR gameplay. But for a long time, elves alone dominated the kingdom of the bow and arrow. However, mixing elves with other cultures can be much more effective in dealing out the maximum amount of wounds, enough so that the fellowship would not even have to fight! (yes folks, it is possible...) Many cultures have their own unique styles of dishing out the wounds, and though some are more effective than others, some are just plain ol’ fun to do. Once in a while, isn’t it fun to make your opponent think, "What the heck is trying to pull on me???"

In the Elven Culture, decks usually rely on the most renound archer of them all, Legolas. Whether he is an archer or not, most Elven archery decks rely on him, or use him on the side to some extent. I do believe that the most effective Legolas is one that wounds the most, and my choice is Legolas, Greenleaf. With his ability to wound any minion twice with his base vitality, he can be a life saver in crucial situations.

The Classic Elven Archery

Companions
RB Galadriel, Bearer of wisdom
The One ring, answer to all riddles
x1 legolas, greenleaf (starting)
x1 glorfindel, revealed in wrath (starting)
x1 arwen, queen of elves and men
x1 elrond, elven lord
x1 gil-galad, elven high king
x1 cirdan, the shipwright

Possessions/Artifacts
x1 legolas’ bow
x4 elven bow
x1 nenya, ring of adamant
x1 vilya, ring of air
x1 aiglos

Conditions
x2 Elven Marksmanship
x1 Hope Comes
x1 the splendor of their banners
x1 the tale of gil-galad
x1 shadow between

Events
x4 feathered
x4 double shot
x3 many miles
x3 nocked
x2 mighty shot

Strategy:
By upping the archery count with this deck each turn, the shadow will be skewered by arrows. Galadriel with her ring, the tale, and splendor, can add great amounts of archery when needed. Elrond has a great healing ability for Greenleaf and Galadriel/Splendors, and Cirdan is there to take out and minion thrown at him, with his amazing ability of strength reduction. Lastly, shadow between is great for healing/cycling; if you need that one wound removed before feeling confident about moving, there ya go.

The once was a last alliance of elves and men, and men did have the knowledge to shoot an arrow. the Gondor Culture is amazing in regards to strength, but when played properly, can be devastating in dealing out wounds. The most effective Gondor Men for wounds would have to be the knights. Led by Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms, the knights lead the way for Gondor wounding, with their many fortifications and vitality reducers.

The Gondor Knights Archery/Wounding

Companions
RB Isildur, bearer of heirlooms
the one ring, the binding ring
x1 alcarin, warrior of lamedon (starting)
x1 ingold (Starting)
x1 aragorn, captain of gondor
x1 boromir, hero of osgiliath
x1 garrison of gondor
x1 elendil, high-king of gondor

Possessions/Artifacts
x1 aragorn’s bow
x3 gondor bow
x3 gondorian steed
x3 gondorian sword
x1 narsil, blade of the faithful
x3 sapling of the white tree
x1 Scroll of isildur

Conditions
x4 greatest stronghold
x3 gondor bowmen
x3 city wall
x3 fourth level
x1 citadel of the stars
x1 sixth level

Events
x2 Men of Numenor

Strategy:
This deck relies on much exertion to kill off minions. Ingold can heal rapidly, and Isildur can be used for many, if not all, of the exertions needed to use the archery actions. As for the skirmish phases, gondor bow is a great card to kill of the high strength/high vitality minion, and with 3 knights out, there is no cost to transfer your fortifications. Sixth Level is the best fortification, as it gets back any fortification you want during the regroup phase. If you are overwhelmed with wounds, sapling is there to help your companions hang in there. And if by chance isildur must fight, he will be more than ready with narsil giving him vitality and strength +5 at most in this deck.

Now seeing as Men and Elves can do well alone in archery and wounding, why not put them together? This last decks takes strategies from the Elven and Gondor decks and mixes them together into a very magical creation. The Last Alliance of Elves and Men with a twist; now Legolas, Aragorn, and Arwen can be part of that Alliance!

The Gondor / Elven Wow-ser Deck

Companions/Allies/Followers
RB Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings
x1 Legolas, Greenleaf (starting)
x1 Arwen, Queen of Elves and Men (starting)
x3 Aragorn, Defender of Free Peoples
x1 Gil-galad, Elven High King
x1 Elrond, Herald to Gil-galad
x1 Galadriel, Lady of the Golden Wood
x1 Dinendal, Silent Scout

Possessions/Artifacts
x2 Elven Bow
x2 Aragorn’s Bow
x1 Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
x1 Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
x2 Ranger’s Cloak
x1 The Saga of Elendil
x1 Knife of the Galadhrim
x1 Ring of Barahir
x1 Gwemegil
x1 Asfaloth, Elven Steed
x1 Bow of the Galadhrim
x1 Aiglos
x1 The Tale of Gil-galad
x1 Vilya, Ring of Air

Conditions
x4 Gondor Bowmen
x2 Elven Marksmanship
x1 Strength of Arms
x1 Agility
x1 Garrison of Osgiliath
x1 Uncertain Future
x1 The Choice of Luthien
x1 The Splendor of Their Banners
x2 The Last Alliance of Elves and Men

Alternations:
a) More Healing:
- Replace x3 Aragorn, defender of free peoples with x3 aragorn, elessar telcontar
- Replace Uncertain future with houses of healing
b) Threat Wounding
- Replace x3 Aragorn, defender of free peoples with x3 Aragorn, Driven by need
- Replace x2 aragorn’s bow with x2 aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow
- Replace uncertain future with houses of healing
c) Thorongil Threat Wouding
- Replace x3 Aragorn, defender of free peoples with x3 Aragorn, Thorongil
- Replace x2 aragorn’s bow with x2 aragorn’s bow, ranger’s longbow
- Replace uncertain future with into the west
d) Fun Luck Alternation Cool :
- Replace x3 Aragorn, defender of free peoples with x3
- Replace x1 aragorn’s bow with x1 faramir’s bow
- Replace x1 uncertain future with x1 faramir, son of denethor

The Strategy:
Primary:
The main focus is to give out many, many, many wounds. Aragorn with all his effects is a monster in fighting and shooting. Same goes for Legolas. Gondor Bowmen, Elven Marksmanship, and Splendor give this deck just the right amount of *ummph that it needs to kill off every last minion. Also, Aragorn, DofP uses all the Elven tokens to win any skirmish. (Witch King, Balrog, Sauron, you name it) If you are fortunate enough to save all the archery goodies until the end of the game, by sites 8 and 9, the Shadow will want to cry (and they will be crying on the inside, trust me) A total, full on could of arrrows at site 9 could, at a maximum number, be 24 archery wounds, along with Aragorn;s and Legolas’s own wounding abilities. Pretty insane? I’d think so. Very Happy

Alternations:
a) Use Telcontar and houses to heal more.
b) Use the Longbow/Driven by need combo to cycle threats
c) Use Longbow/Thorongil to exert/wound/kill. Into the west to remove threats (hopefully)
d) Hope for the best to get out all ur archers w/o hand clog Very Happy

If your looking for achery with dwarves, Gimli is great. Even though he hated elves at first, he learned to love em! So this archery/wounding deck implements Gimli and the elves (who strangely work so well together).

Companions
RB Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
x1 Rumil, silvan elf (starting)
x1 orophin, silvan elf (starting)
x1 Legolas, Of the Grey Company
x1 Elrond, Witness to History
x2 elven guardian

Possessions/Conditions
x4 Elven Bow
x4 Sword of the Fallen
x1 Gimli’s Battle Axe, Trusted Weapon
x1 Hand Axe
x1 Ring of Fury
x1 Dwarven Bracers
x1 Shoulder to Shoulder
x1 proud and able
x1 into the west

Events
x4 Quick As May Be
x2 Baruk Khazad
x4 Double Shot
x3 Nocked
x3 Many Miles
x1 Mighty Shot

Strategy:
Wound the minions in the maneuver and archery phases so greatly so that when the archery wounds are assigned, nothing will be left. Rumil and Orophin use threats and exert each other or elven guardian to wound minions, thus adding archery with gimli’s axe. Maximum archery can get up to 7 archery wounds per phase w/o any events, since each companion would be considered an "archer," (even Gimli!).

A deck that totally slipped my mind was the Gondor ranger archery. These sneaky guys can go major damage when used correctly, for their elusive status can dish out mega wounds. So without further ado - NBarden/Corvus, thanks for the tips; i modified ur decks to my playing style - here is the Gondor Rangers Archery deck, with a Shire twist. Wink

Companions
RB Boromir, Bearer of council
The One Ring, Answer to all riddles
x1 Faramir, Captain of Gondor (starting)
x1 Ranger of Ithilien (starting)
x1 Madril, Defender of osgiliath (starting)
x1 aragorn, Strider (starting)
x1 Garrison of Osgiliath
x1 Pippin, Guard of Minas Tirith

Possessions
x2 Aragorn’s Bow
x2 Faramir’s Bow
x4 Ranger’s Cloak
x1 Anduril, Sword that was broken
x2 ranger’s bow
x4 Ithilien Blade
x1 blade of gondor, sword of boromir
x1 shield of boromir
x1 pippin’s sword
x1 pippin’s armor

Conditions
x4 Gondor Bow
x3 greatest stronghold
x3 second level
x3 soldier’s cache
x1 Sixth level

Strategy:
When everything is out and about, there will be 3 Gondor archers (what?!) and many cards to add archery (bowmen, stronghold), enough wounds will be dished out. For skirmishes, the companions should be beefy enough, but just incase, there’s Pippin to take out some near-exhausted/exhausted minion. And with soldier’s cache will already wound a minion, if necessary, in the maneuver phase.

In conclusion, this article was written to show everyone the wonders of archery and wounding in general. When implemented properly, the archery phase can become a moment of fear and pain.
Last edited by Anautikus on Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:16 pm; edited 17 times in totalMy Haves/Wants
Let's Trade! Cool

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you..."
legoles3333
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:37 am
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
sweet,
you should add more sections like dwarven archery, Evil men archery, Raider Archery, or rohan archery but anyway its a good article so probably a 4
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
NBarden
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:48 am
Nice, but there’s already an awesome article on the subject. It doesn’t hold a candle to Corvus’ article. Still, its decent, I’m not sure what to give it though...

Oh yes, cover minion archery. Cover the Demoralized / rapid Reload infinite loop, Men archery, Raider archery, Moria archery, Sauron archery, and Isengard archery.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:54 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
nice job, definitely a 4 article with a GP Cool
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Pywils
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:52 pm
i like it, but it just seems like a worse version of Corvus’ article
Anautikus
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:31 pm
ah i’ve never seen corvus’s article...:\
YourStinkenFace
Posted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:22 pm
I just don’t believe in expensive decks. I don’t want to vote because I’m to lazy to vote a 3 on all the other expensive decks strategies. I’m sure it’s a good article I read part of it. But I personally don’t think that you need to spend 6 bucks a card to have a good deck. I guess it is kind of hard to build a cheap archery deck, but it is possible.
"SOMEONE..."
"Was there sposed to be anything more to that phrase?"
"Shut up! Shut your mouth, you!"
-The Cloak
www.filmcow.com
Anautikus
Posted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:09 am
sure its possible to make a cheap elven deck, in regards of money i mean. just use commons and uncommons, and the cheap rares. however, my list deals with a more effective archeryt style, with requires more expensive cards, in my opinon.
TKR
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:06 pm
Good article, my favorite deck would have to be elves and Aragorn and Isildur. I just enjoy having a deck with elves and Gondor men.
NBarden
Posted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:10 am
I thought it ironic that you don’t use Take up The bow anywhere in your decks. Hm....

I think you should give justice to Gondor Rangers. Arrows thick in the Air, Gondor Bowmen, Faramir’s Bow, Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow, etc. Ring-bound Ranger wounding kills. Here’s a decklist.

Boromir, Bearer of Council

Damrod, Ranger of Ithilien
Mablung, Soldier of Gondor

Aragorn, Driven by Need x 4
Faramir, Son of Denethor x 2
Anborn, Skilled Huntsman x 2
Gondorian Ranger x 3

Ranger’s Bow x 4
Aragorn’s Bow, Ranger’s Longbow x 2
Faramir’s Bow

Gondor Bowmen x 4
Hardy Garrison x 2
Citadel of Minas Tirith x 4

Curse Them x 4
Arrows Thick in the Air x 4
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest