LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
30%
  [ 4 ]  30%

61%
  [ 8 ]  61%

7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 13
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:43 pm
--- description ---
This article takes a look at the best cards from the Rise of Saruman and how they can be used.
--- end description ---

After months of waiting, the Rise of Saruman set was finally released on March 1st. New cards are getting into players’ hands. Old decks are being revised, and new decks are being built. Sure, there were plenty of mistakes in RoS, but take a look at the bright side: a truckload of awesome cards have been released! Stop worrying about Chaotic Clash, Vile Pit, and all the quotation marks errors, and let’s take a look at the best from RoS!

Culture #1: Dwarven

1st Prize: Thorin III, Stonehelm
This guy is pretty cool; not only is he damage +1, but he ties in perfectly with the good ol’ Dwarven discarding deck. If Thorin is bearing Dwarven Axe, he wins a skirmish, and you play Nobody Tosses a Dwarf, the top 5 cards from your opponent’s draw deck are discarded. Yowch.

2nd Prize: Ring of Artifice
This artifact gives added power to the Dwarven discarding deck. Using it, you can grab Ring of Guile from your discard pile, which pulls Nobody Tosses a Dwarf from your discard pile. What’s not to love?

These 2 cards function very well together in a deck that looks like this…..

Format: Expanded (33 cards)

Gimli, Bearer of Grudges
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Dain Ironfoot, King under the Mountain
Durin III, Dwarven Lord
Thorin III, Stonehelm x2
Proud and Able x3
Till Durin Wakes Again x3
Nobody Tosses a Dwarf x4
Blood Runs Chill x2
Dwarven Axe x4
Ring of Artifice x4
Ring of Guile x4
Ring of Fury x2
Dwarven Armor x3

Culture #2: Elven

1st Prize: Namarie
This card is a new vital part of the vast empire known as The Elven Realm of Condition Discarding. This condition fits in perfectly with the RoS hunters: Orophin, Silvan Elf, Rumil, Silvan Elf, and Elven Guardian.

2nd Prize: Rumil, Silvan Elf
This guy is just plain awesome. He is killer while you can spot a wounded minion, and he has a sweet minion wounding ability.

This deck is a sweet deck to include both of these cards in, courtesy of AnxiousChieftain.

Format: Standard (33 cards)

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom

Legolas, of the Woodland Realm
Rumil, Silvan Elf
Orophin, Silvan Elf x2
Elven Guardian x4
Elven Bow x4
Farewell to Lorien x4
Many Miles x3
Mighty Shot x2
Into the West x3
Namarie x2
Shadow Between x2
Take Up the Bow x2
Elven Marksmanship x3

Culture #3: Gandalf

1st Prize: Gandalf, Returned
Designed by menace64, this Gandalf rivals Gandalf, Leader of the Company as the best Gandalf. To use this Gandalf in a deck, simply grab a copy or two with a few of his possessions, and throw them into any token deck!

2nd Prize: Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas
Corruption decks are dead against this newest version of Gandalf’s steed. Plus, neat stat bonuses for the bearer! This Shadowfax is a great combo with Radagast, The Brown; triple moving and anti-corruption in the same package! Whatever deck you use Gandalf or Radagast in, include a copy or two of this awesome mount!

Here is a sweet deck for this mount to work in.....

Format: Expanded (35 cards)

Sam, Bearer of Great Need
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom

Merry, The Tall One
Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer
Frodo, Frenzied Fighter
Aragorn, Thorongil x1
Gandalf, Leader of the Company x1
Radagast, The Brown x1
Meant to Be Alone x2
Make Haste x2
Shadowfax, Greatest of the Mearas x2
Citadel to Gate x3
No Visitors x2
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x1
Frodo Gamgee, Son of Samwise x1
The Gaffer, Master Gardener x1
Seeing Stone of Orthanc x2
Nine-fingered Frodo and the Ring of Doom x2
A Wizard Is Never Late x2
Little Golden Flower x2
Sudden Fury x2
Home and Hearth x2
Traveled Leader x2

Culture #4: Gondor

1st Prize: Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
This Anduril provides great stats for Aragorn, as well as protection against site control and Shadow conditions. This is without a doubt the best Anduril ever released!

2nd Prize: Throne of Minas Tirith
This card provides super Gondor token reinforcement for cards such as Noble Leaders, Storied Homestead, etc. Plus, it can discard pesky Shadow possessions!

And here is a deck to use both of these awesome. AnxiousChieftain, thanks again for the deck design!

Format: Expanded (35 cards)

Boromir, Bearer of Council

Faramir, Prince of Ithilien
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith
Aragorn, Isildur’s Heir x2
Isildur, Heir of Elendil
Elendil, The Tall x2
Anduril, Sword That Was Broken
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
Sapling of the White Tree x4
Scroll of Isildur
Throne of Minas Tirith
Ring of Barahir
Brego, Loyal Steed
Coat of Mail
Ithilien Blade x2
Banner of Westernesse
Heirs of Gondor x2
Noble Leaders x3
Garrison of Osgiliath
Houses of Healing x2
Storied Homestead
King’s Legacy
Bow of Minas Tirith
Ranger’s Cloak
Guarded City x2

Culture #5: Rohan

1st Prize: Eowyn, Northwoman
This Eowyn is immune to wounds while the Ring-bearer is assigned to a skirmish. Plus, her assignment ability makes a minion skirmishing the Ring-bearer lose all keywords!

2nd Prize: Eomer, Northman
Eomer is a 10 strength beast while the Ring-bearer is assigned to a skirmish. Plus, if he is mounted, you can exert him in the maneuver phase to make him defender +1 until the end of the turn!

Here is a sweet deck that Eomer and Eowyn work together in…..

Format: Standard (31 cards)

Frodo, Weary from the Journey

Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver
Merry, Loyal Companion
Eowyn, Northwoman x2
Eomer, Northman x2
Aragorn, Defender of Rohan x2
Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan x2
Hobbit Sword x3
Where Now the Horse x4
Anduril, Sword that was Broken x2
Rohirrim Axe x3
Coif x3
Second Breakfast x4

Culture #6: Shire

1st Prize: Halfling Leaf
This card provides even more skirmish cancellation for your cowardly Hobbits. Wink No Visitors, meet your rival.

2nd Prize: Merry, In the Bloom of Health
Merry fits in perfectly with the pipeweeds printed in RoS, thanks to his regroup text. With just an exertion, you can put a pipeweed from your discard pile beneath your draw deck!

Here is a deck that both of these cards work together in, courtesy of NBarden.....

Format: Standard (33 cards)

Merry, In the Bloom of Health
Pippin, In the Bloom of Health
Huorn
Gandalf, Returned
Halfling Leaf x 4
Southfarthing Leaf x 4
Not the First Halfling x 2
Shadowplay x 4
Momentous Gathering x 3
Peace of Mind x 2
Unheeded x 3
Alatar, Final Envoy x 2
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x 2
Pallando, Far-travelling One
Glamdring, Foe-hammer
Shadowfax, Roaring Wind

Done with the Free Peoples cards! Dancing

It’s time for the best of the Shadow cards! Applause

Culture #7: Isengard

1st Prize: Saruman, Servant of Sauron
The first minion follower, and D actually did a good job! I know, I can’t believe it either. This Saruman is a great addition to any deck that focuses on wounding, but my personal favorite to add him to: Ninja Gollum! No specific deck design is needed for this Saruman; he is a great splash minion. Just grab a couple copies of him and put him in a deck that uses exertions / archery/ wounding, etc. Thumbs Up

2nd Prize: Saruman, Instigator of Insurrection
This Saruman is an awesome splash minion. He gives even greater power to the large number of Uruk-hai minions with hunter in RoS. This Saruman is also an awesome splash minion. He gives a hunter 2 bonus to each minion while you can spot 6 companions. Plus, he can prevent wounds to hunter minions by exerting himself. Take your minion hunter deck and pick up a couple copies of this Saruman to give your deck even more Shadow power!

Culture #8: Men

1st Prize: Sunland Guard
This minion is a vital part of the new Men minion stacking deck. His text allows you to play your Men minions from the possessions where they have been stacked. Ask NBarden; it works like a charm. Cool

2nd Prize: Easterling Dispatcher
This minion has very good chance at going on the X-list, so use him while you still can! This guy is a vital part of any Men swarm deck. Best case scenario, this minion will add 12+ tokens when he is played! Whatever Men swarm deck you are using, include at least 2 copies of this minion in it. Thumbs Up

And now, a deck that these cards work wonders in, courtesy of NBarden.....

Format: Standard (35 cards)

Strange-looking Men x4
Easterling Dispatcher x4
Sunland Guard x4
Saruman, Coldly Still x2
Vengeful Primitive x 4
Stampeding Savage x3
Wildman’s Oath x4
Pavise x4
Primitive Brand x2
Countless Companies x2
Last Days x2

Culture #9: Orc

1st Prize: Orkish Lackey
This guy, like Easterling Dispatcher, has a large probability that he will be X-ed. With this minion and Mumak Commander, Giant Among the Swertings, you can wipe out a 3 vitality companion in one turn! This guy is an awesome minion for any deck that uses archery / exertions / wounding, etc. Grab a few copies of him and have some fun!

2nd Prize: Relentless Warg
This mount is a force to be reckoned with, especially against 1-culture fellowships. This guy is also great with Orc Miscreant. If Miscreant makes it to the regroup phase with no wounds, you can exert him 4 times, which adds 4 burdens! This Warg is a great addition to an Orc corruption deck, which looks like this…..

Format: Standard (32 cards)

Isengard Underling x4
Orc Miscreant x4
Relentless Warg x4
Rider’s Gear x3
Bound To Its Fate x4
Goblin Hordes x4
Beastly Olog-hai x3
Porter Troll x3
Mocking Goblin x3

Culture #10: Sauron

1st Prize: Throne of the Dark Lord
This is a pretty cool condition to have, especially because of its deadliness when Sauron is in play. This card doesn’t need its own deck; simply throw a couple copies into any deck with Sauron and his minions. Thumbs Up

2nd Prize: There is no 2nd prize, just because Throne of the Dark Lord is so good. No, just kidding. Throne of the Dark Lord was the only Sauron card printed in RoS.

Culture #11: Uruk-hai

1st Prize: You Do Not Know Fear
This card completely obliterates Free Peoples conditions. Period.

2nd Prize: White Hand Guard
This minion is like poetry in motion in an Uruk hunter deck. Due to his vitality, he can give another Uruk a +4 strength boost in the skirmish phase. Plus, he is fierce and hunter 1! Shocked

These 2 cards are a great addition to the new Uruk-hai site control deck.

Format: Standard (35 cards)

Blade of the White Hand x3
Deathly Roar x2
Land Had Changed x3
White Hand Aggressor x2
White Hand Attacker x2
White Hand Destroyer x3
You Do Not Know Pain x3
You Do Not Know Fear x2
White Hand Enforcer x2
White Hand Scout x3
White Hand Guard x3
White Hand Intruder x2
White Hand Veteran x3
White Hand Trooper x2

Culture #12: Wraith

1st Prize: Ulaire Enquea, Duplicitous Lieutenant
This Nazgul makes the Free Peoples player think twice about healing their companions. Plus, you can exert Enquea twice to discard a condition (or 2 conditions if you can spot 5 FP conditions). Good stuff, good stuff. Very Happy This Nazgul is a great splash minion, especially in a wounding deck because of his anti-healing ability.

2nd Prize: Ring of Savagery
This Wraith artifact blows away all of the other Nazgul rings. Each time its bearer wins a skirmish, the Free Peoples player must either add a burden or exert a companion. This ring is an awesome combo with Ulaire Enquea, Thrall of the One. This artifact is also a super addition to nearly and Nazgul deck, especially corruption.

Sites

1st Prize: Falls of Rauros
This site’s text lets you use a companion to absorb the brunt of the Shadow forces in region 1 and region 2. It’s suicide for that companion, but it works. Then, you use Falls of Rauros to place that companion out of play, allowing you to play another copy of that companion! Shocked This is great with Gandalf, Leader of Men to fit him into your starting fellowship. Then, suicide him in region 2 and play a different version like Gandalf, Leader of the Company of Gandalf, Returned.

2nd Prize: Imladris
With all the site manipulation on the LotR market today, it is easy to play this site at both site 3 and site 6, wiping off 2 burdens from your Ring-bearer each time.

The Broken of RoS
Yep, D made a few mistakes, and now some broken RoS stuff is entering a lot of metas. Here they are, in all of their glory.....

The Men Men Possession Infinite Loop
A debate has been ongoing for the last few days over whether or not this loop is legal. Thanks to a few absolute statements by bibfortuna25 in this thread, it has been clarified that the Men possession loop is legal. NB is lovin’ it. Razz

Orkish Lackey
This little guy is so broken, it’s not even funny. Using this minion with Mumak Commander, Giant among the Swertings, you can wipe out a 3 vitality companion in the maneuver phase. Shocked

Special Thanks
To Celebrimbor, for posting the complete RoS card text spoiler. Applause
To AnxiousChieftain, for the Elven decklist and the Gondor decklist. Applause
To CarpeGuitarrem, who reviewed my article via PM. Applause
To NBarden, for the Shire decklist and the Men decklist. Applause

Conclusion
Thanks for reading! Now, go have some fun with these RoS cards. I’ve got dibs on Anduril! Wink
Last edited by Anonymous Prodigy on Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:22 pm; edited 19 times in totalI had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:11 pm
With the elves, cut the Guardian, and do....

1. Namarie
2. Rumil, Silvan Elf

On Rohan, Theoden, Northman, King of Rohan and Aragorn, Defender of Rohan are better than Eomer. I favor Theoden, because he provides consistent strength boosts although both should be included in any good Rohan deck.

Gondor, swap the Throne with Anduril, Anduril is better because it can be used in any Gondor deck (assuming you run Aragorn, which duh, who doesn’t), while Throne of Minas Tirith is only good for token decks, specifically, Noble Leaders.

Men I’m telling you, Coldly Still doesn’t hold a candle to Sunland Guard. Having had the experience of playing with the new Men, I’m telling you Sunland Guard is SWEET!!!!! And Easterling Dispatcher is right back. If your playing Men, you need all your possessions in the maneuver phase anyway, so Coldly Still is worthless. Although Primitive Brand could be helpful.

Uruk-hai, where’s the White Hand Guard? He beats you do not know pain, and is almost as good as you do not know fear. For a common to boot.

Wraith, you gotta put Enquea first.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:41 pm
Thanks for the review, NB! Edited as suggested. Thumbs Up
I had to put something here.
NBarden
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:56 pm
Missed one. Merry, In the Bloom of Health is better than Pippin. Here’s a good decklist for the pipeweed.

Merry, In the Bloom of Health
Pippin, In the Bloom of Health
Huorn

Gandalf, Returned

Halfling Leaf x 4
Southfarthing Leaf x 4
Not the First Halfling x 2
Shadowplay x 4

Momentous Gathering x 3
Peace of Mind x 2
Unheeded x 3

Alatar, Final Envoy x 2
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor x 2
Pallando, Far-travelling One

Glamdring, Foe-hammer
Shadowfax, Roaring Wind
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
Celebrimbor
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:20 pm
Looks like a nice article, and to the point. I like how you point out the best cards in each culture.

Thanks for including me in your special thanks! Very Happy
My Trading List
Popcorn is not gooey like fat, and also not crunchy like potato chips, but crispy like lettuce which makes it a healthy snack. Popcorn
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:37 am
No problem, CBB. Without your text spoiler, I wouldn’t have been able to write this article. Cool

I added your deck, NB, and included you in the Special Thanks. Thumbs Up And thy deck warrants a GP. Good stuff! Very Happy
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:41 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
its interesting, kinda. you forgot to mention the other YDNK card that kills SC decks unless there was a rules change which I doubt. right now a low 4, IDK why it just didn’t seem top tier. I will give you a GP to when I do vote, and it might be higher by then.
+ I would include those in article links every 2-3 cultures
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:44 am
If you are referring to You Do Not Know Pain, NB has already pointed out that White Hand Guard was better, and I agree with him. Therefore, You Do Not Know Fear gets first in Uruk-hai, and White Hand Guard gets 2nd. Smile

Thanks for the review! Very Happy
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:49 am
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
I think it should get mentioned somewhere, like under broken combos of RoS Wink
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:53 am
If NB will consent, I will add his Men infinite loop deck. I’ll try to add a section of broken stuff in RoS, SoP. Thumbs Up

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest