LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
62%
  [ 10 ]  62%

37%
  [ 6 ]  37%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 16
corvus
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:27 am
Joined: 13 Oct 2006 Posts: 1696 Location: Roaming, but dangerous!!!
ADOFP: Thanks a lot! Very Happy

Ransom: My dad is an English teacher, figure it out yourself mate! Laughing Thanks for the review!!! I will edit accordingly.

NBarden: Thanks for the Feedback! Very Happy Can you tell me more about this deck?
Click here if you want to trade some foils away Wink
Far, Far beyond the island we dwelt in shapes of twilight
Through draught and weary days
Through grief and endless pain
NBarden
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:36 am
Isildur, Bearer of Heirlooms
The One Ring, The Ring of Rings

Boromir, Doomed Heir
Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver

Tolman Cotton, Farmer of Bywater x 3
Merry, Loyal Companion x 4
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish x 3
Aragorn, Thorongil

Blade of Gondor, Sword of Boromir x 2
Kingsfoil x 4
Gondor Bow
Anduril, Sword that Was Broken
Armor of the White City
Hobbit Sword x 4

Heirs of Gondor x 4

Guarded City x 4

$30.50

You can cut Anduril and add in Ithilien Blade if its to expensive.

Basically, Boromir has 6 possessions, reinforce Heirs of Gondor like crazy, use Boromir’s text to pump himself up pretty tough, but that’s not the point here. The point is after reinforcing Heirs of Gondor like crazy, you take over all your hobbits’ skirmishes with Sword of Gondor and win like crazy.

Its really better in expanded, where you can get like 12 possessions on Boromir, but I think it could work in standard.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
corvus
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:50 am
Cool. Do you mind if i edit and use it?
NBarden
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:52 am
Sure. Do what you want.

You can shave off about $7 by cutting Anduril and adding Ithilien Blade.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.
corvus
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:58 am
Yeah thanks for the cool tip. I am in between these things in this specific article. I try cutting down stuff decks can live without. Anduril is such a great add, and $30 is what i use as a midian price. Thanks once more! Very Happy
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:11 pm
Joined: 18 May 2006 Posts: 2434 Location: Florianópolis, SC, Brasil
Ok, corvus, prepare for a large review, for when I’m summoned, I speak!
First of all, I’ve been reading your recent articles quite constantly, and I must say I’m impressed, you’ve been writing increasingly well over the last few months, not to mention showing skills as a deckbuilder and a TCG player. I don’t know if reading my MTG articles ghelped you at all at it, but I hope it did, ’cause I’ll feel really good (I’m not that good of a writer anyway)! Very Happy
Well, ’nough sweet-talk, let me give you some valuable info I’ve been noticing might be good for future reference in your articles:
- Define the format you’re working with: Nothing bothers more a reader to jump into a read to learn halfway through (ok, not THAT long, but you get the idea) that the article is about Open format and he wanted to read about Extended.
- Define your target public: Your article last month was more directed at newer players, or to even attract new ones (and we know how important that may be, with the game dying and all), so you should explain everything as best as you can, even minor interactions. This month’s article is what I call a "Blockbuster", since it’s directed at all publics at once. So, in these cases, you need to dose it out. You don’t have to say Elven Bow is good because it makes an elf an archer, and explain what being an archer means, that’d be annoying to most readers, but when you say 2-3 cards work well together, at least give a hint as to why (even with the auto-link, their connection might just be too slow to keep opening multiple images). As a rule of thumb, imagine you’re writing your article to someone who has just started playing, so he or she knows the basic phases of a turn, something about keywords, and that’s it.
- Make an Index: Now, most people in the LotR’s forums are generally mad at me for doing stuff like this, but seriously, though, if you want to target ALL possible public at once, some of them might be interested only in looking at ONE decklist you give, so the Find Tool will help them a lot, not to mention it gives you room to write a more complete article.
- Read it fast and outloud before posting: This helps you avoid things like repetition of words too closely, or expressions (there’s one such example in the cooments section of your very first deck, check it out).
- Give it a little more strategy: You’ve designed these decks (of course, except the ones you credited to someone else, but this advice still applies), so tell us in a quick paragraph what made you chose these cards, what this deck excels against, and what might pose a threat to it. That help players choose a list to use in a certain meta, or to fine-tune their decks to make them stronger, allowing for the decks to "evolve" into a higher level. Also, this shows you went through some work designing the decks, instead of just writing them on the fly, giving you more credit as an author, a researcher and a player.
- Make "sections": When I write an article on multiple subjects, I divide it in sections by adding a straight line or a non-continual one (check my article on Planar Chaos for a glimpse of it). While this isnot at all necessary, it does give the article a more organized aspect.
Well, to sum it up, I liked the article very much, and I think the section was lacking a big article like this on meta-playing and deck-building, in a more "general" aspect, and those ideas I gave above are for future articles, so this does not diminish this one in any aspect, you still get a well-earned 5. Keep writing, and keep improving, is all I can say. Doing a splendid job so far.
I don't like YOU.
legoles3333
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:12 pm
Joined: 28 Nov 2006 Posts: 861 Location: In a place that is beyond your imagination
fm your crazy
Here's My Trade List
I have taken an oath of poverty, to annoy me, send money
I am a trained assassin catcher
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 pm
Not crazy, just... organized. Wink
I don't like YOU.
corvus
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:37 pm
legoles3333 wrote:
fm your crazy

What’s wrong with crazy people? ^_^

OK let’s get down to it:

FelipeMusco wrote:
First of all, I’ve been reading your recent articles quite constantly, and I must say I’m impressed, you’ve been writing increasingly well over the last few months, not to mention showing skills as a deckbuilder and a TCG player. I don’t know if reading my MTG articles ghelped you at all at it, but I hope it did, ’cause I’ll feel really good (I’m not that good of a writer anyway)! Very Happy

I’m honored. You are certainly one of our best writers, and you’ve certainly helped me improve over the months.

FelipeMusco wrote:
Define the format you’re working with

I declared in the beginning that if you need some standard brainstorming, go on. Of cource, this is not quite clear, i will try to fix the title if i can edit it still.

FelipeMusco wrote:
Define your target public

You are totally right on that. I guess the start isn’t enough to help then. I’ll edit it as well.

FelipeMusco wrote:
Make an Index/Make "sections"

Most helpful! I definetely will. If i could, i would link to the middle of the page, but i didn’t quite get how to do that... Embarassed

Should a line between freeps and shadows do the job?

FelipeMusco wrote:
Give it a little more strategy

In terms of quantity, this is imposiible, as it would get too heavy... So i guess you are speaking in terms of quality right?
Felipe Musco
Posted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:01 pm
A line might be enough, yeah. About the "strategy" I told you, well... Go to www.wizards.com/magic, and check the column of Frank Karsten (he posted a new article just today, it’s on the main page). There, you can find the most popular decks in Standard right now. Try clicking on one of them, and you’ll see the text that’ll pop up. That’s not heavy, AND it gives you a bit of strategy on how to play/face the deck in question.
I don't like YOU.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest