LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
How playable is Denethor's Sword?

5 (Best)  
10%
  [ 1 ]  10%

30%
  [ 3 ]  30%

40%
  [ 4 ]  40%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
20%
  [ 2 ]  20%

Total Votes : 10
Anonymous Prodigy
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:26 am
The new Denethor and his sword = 10 strength companion for only 3 twilight. Not too shabby. Think
I had to put something here.
AragornDoFP
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:20 am
It could be useful, it can be played on Denethor to cancel some negative text like the adding a burden when you move. But moved to another companion to use his text in the fellowship phase like Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith. All and all I don’t think I’d bother with it though. 3 from me.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Cobra wrote:
The potential of this card lies in the possibility of getting benefits from Denethor’s game text at certain times, and using the sword to prevent bad things from happening at other times. Notice that it can be passed around freely among your Gondor Men.

With the new Denethor, On the Edge of Madness, you could take advantage of the Noble Leaders-like text until you’re just a couple burdens shy of corruption, then play (or transfer) Denethor’s Sword to prevent him from adding any more burdens.

Or with Denethor, Steward of the City, you could play a fellowship full of knights for next to nothing, then play (or transfer) the Sword to prevent all that burden/threat nastiness.

These would still be extremely risky plans, of course. Don’t draw Denethor’s Sword in time = auto-loss. Sword gets discarded = auto-loss. But for the extremely brave/reckless, it might be fun to try. Very Happy

That was my thinking, too. I don’t like how it cancels ALL his text, but if you play your cards right, it can break the game wide open for you.

I’m going to go against the norm and give it a very generous 4. It would be interesting to see if someone could actually pull it off, but I think they could.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
raptor22
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm
TheJord wrote:
This doesnt stop abilities, just game text. The new Boromir could pull this and then you could play Denethor. I hope there is another card, maybe Denethor’s Cloak(?) to help this out.

Yep, it stops special abilities, but I’ll bet they didn’t intend it to. Rolling Eyes
BattleWarg
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:26 pm
raptor22 wrote:
TheJord wrote:
This doesnt stop abilities, just game text. The new Boromir could pull this and then you could play Denethor. I hope there is another card, maybe Denethor’s Cloak(?) to help this out.

Yep, it stops special abilities, but I’ll bet they didn’t intend it to. Rolling Eyes

I disagree. You get out of the heavy penalties of Denethor, but miss out on the benefits. Makes sense to me.

By the way, has there been a clarification on ’game text’ or is Denethor bearing this no longer a companion (or a Man)?
Our time here is ending...

What did you want to see before the end?
It will be made in the Request-a-card Set #1 (name ideas also welcome Smile).
sickofpalantirs
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:41 pm
Joined: 23 Mar 2006 Posts: 7750 Location: somwhere, over the rainbow way up high. There's a land that I heard of once in a lullaby.
suckiness incarnate Sick another candidate for bland rare society...it has possibilities...but not much else
ArrowSop's haves/ top wantsExclamation
(mm)"SoP: you will always be the Official CC Spammer in my heart"
"DáinIronfoot"
Spammers really are amazing creatures. You can learn all there is to know about their ways in a month. And yet, after a hundred years, they can still surprise you. Razz
FortunesRazor
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:39 pm
The major problem is that it is a possession which aren’t as hard to get rid of as artifacts. However, it may be too hard to get rid of as an artifact.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit