LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
How playable is Celebring, Elven-smith?

5 (Best)  
39%
  [ 9 ]  39%

52%
  [ 12 ]  52%

4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

4%
  [ 1 ]  4%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 23
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:19 pm
Weak in strength!?!? What are you talking about? Elves had some of the strongest comps in the game. Gil-Galad and Glornfidel are just a few of them. Elves are some of the strongest cultures out there.
Apopatos
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 10:50 am
9 strength means nothing and having one companion who can achieve a higher strength with artifacts isn’t a big deal. Also, there aren’t many possessions around to boost them a bit. Elves are powerful because of other things no because of their row strength!
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:00 am
9 strength is nothing!?!? No other companions in standard right now have a higher base strength then those comps. Did I miss something, I mean, you are talking about base strength, right?
FortunesRazor
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:16 am
Yeah, pretty pricey but the strength is sweet. Not a must have for me but still good.
Mythdracon
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:26 pm
I would say Elves in general are weak in strength, not just by looking at base companion strength, but the fact they generally don’t have enough strength adding events. Elven strength lies in archery and telepathy, in my opinion, though that’s been changing of late. :S

Anyway, who *was* Celebring in Middle Earth???? Anyone know? Sweet card this is though. =)
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:48 pm
Hmm, I would generally disagree with you. Cards like attunement, final shot, and still needed are powerful, imho.
Piecesofeight
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:01 pm
While this card does cost 3, I think it is generally useful. Many times in an elvent deck events are wasted on Galadriel because she is overwhelmed with her 3 strength. In that regard I believe that to be one of Elvents weaknesses. This card is a very strong way of dealing with that weakness. Not only is it a +2 pump to any companion (galadriel to save her life, or glorfindel to remove a threat) but also it can pull the new artifact that makes Galadriel stronger and harder to corrupt. I will be using it for sure in my elvent deck.
Mythdracon
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:23 pm
Aragorn, some responses:

Attunement removes cards, which is annoying. it can be useful if you have enough abilities of retrieving them, but it often occurs that the cards I most need at the moment are the ones Attunement discards...which is why it never features in any of my Elven decks.

Final Shot is just as powerful as Hamstrung and many other such cards.

Still Needed is a tad too expensive, and though it’s reliable, it only adds 2 strength. With that two twilight, the Shadow can easily do a lot more damage or gain a lot more than a mere 2 strength. :S

Piecesofeight, you’re right--Galadriel gets overwhelmed too quickly, and sometimes even archery can’t stop her from being forced to fight.
Piecesofeight
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:38 pm
Attunment is a great card imo. It adds AT LEAST 2 strength which is the average amount that other events add. In addition, if one were to avoid doing any sort of complex statistics they could say that it has roughly a 50% chance to do +4, 25% chance to do +6, 12.5% chance to do +8. It is a very good pump, but not to be relied on. I use it in my elvent decks, especially ones that contain mouth of sauron. Final shot is a lot better than hamstrung because rohan does not have ways of getting that event from the discard pile on a double move like gil galad and celeborn. Also, you guys are forgetting about defiance, which is a very powerful elven strength pump. All this is not to mention taht if you use the two sons of elrond the events become free and get an extra -2 strength modifier attached to them.
Apopatos
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:10 pm
Aragorn, King in Exile wrote:
9 strength is nothing!?!? No other companions in standard right now have a higher base strength then those comps. Did I miss something, I mean, you are talking about base strength, right?

What I mean is that:
The average minion has over 10 or 12 strength, so even if 9 base strength for a companion is sweet, it is not enough if you don’t have ways to boost it a bit and these ways are primarily possessions which stay for ever (if they are not discarded of course) and elves doesn’t have lot of them.
For example make a comparison between Durin III and Glorfindel, Eldarin Lord. At first glance G seems stronger since D has 7 strength only but with an axe Durin has 10 strength and damage +1 or +2 while with a sword Glorfindel has 10 strength too but without damage bonuses. If you add a ring then Durin has strength 12 and damage +2 up to +4 while Glorfindel needs three cards to achieve that strength bonus but still no the damage one (a sword and the new arwen’s bow and arwen’s dagger).
Conclusion: Whatever Mythdracon noted!

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit