LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
How playable is Librarian, Keeper of Ancient Texts?

5 (Best)  
65%
  [ 13 ]  65%

20%
  [ 4 ]  20%

15%
  [ 3 ]  15%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 20
Piecesofeight
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 6:20 am
I can’t give it a 5 becuase of its 5 resistance. If it had 6 then G for grand would make him a lot more survivable. Decent card though.
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:12 am
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Yeah, his low resistance and strength are about the only things dragging him down, he still makes for an awesome card and an easy 5.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
Aragorn, King in Exile
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:49 am
Well, if he DID have high strength and resistance, he would be OP. Personally, I think he is perfectly balanced. 5.
FortunesRazor
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:18 am
He’s okay for support. The strength is nice and with the new axes other gandalf dudes will be decent, but let’s hope he doesn’t need to fight.
AgentDrake
Posted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 am
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
FortunesRazor wrote:
He’s okay for support. The strength is nice and with the new axes other gandalf dudes will be decent, but let’s hope he doesn’t need to fight.

Decent?
Laughing
You kidding? He’ll be huge in no time.
One measure of comfort, a few G For Grand, followers, strange meeting... all the stuff typical of a Gandy Men deck, and he can easily hit over 10 strength without even getting all your cards out. For that matter, he can get up to 19 strength (maybe more) without the axe or events.

These guys get big fast.

King in Exile is right. 6 resistance or more strength would make him OP.
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Mythdracon
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 3:24 pm
I don’t think the low resistance makes this card *bad* since its ability is awesome. besides, how often do you see librarians helping the Fellowship destroy the Ring? Sets up wonderful new scenarios like....The librarian traveling to Rivendell and joining the fellowship...

’You have my book...and my quill.’

Remembering of course, that the pen is mightier than the sword, we could have an ’ink quill’ card. Twilight cost 1, +2 strength, unique, may be born in addition to one other hand weapon. Bearer may not be overwhelmed unless his strength is quadrupled. Bearer is strength +2 against armed minions’ 8D

Ok, that’s having too much fun....I’ll shut up now. Very Happy
Piecesofeight
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:42 pm
I am still hesitant to say that this card is good, because saying something is good implies that the function of the card is known. I am still unclear what the function of gandalf men are supposed to be. They are not damage +1, their card drawing capabilities are mediocre at best, and they take a crazy amount of support cards to have the strength other cultures have with 1 or 2.
mm doughnuts
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:51 pm
That first ability’s so crazy, I can’t help but give it a 5
AgentDrake
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:08 pm
Joined: 01 Apr 2007 Posts: 667 Location: Halfway between eccentric and insane...
Piecesofeight wrote:
I am still hesitant to say that this card is good, because saying something is good implies that the function of the card is known. I am still unclear what the function of gandalf men are supposed to be. They are not damage +1, their card drawing capabilities are mediocre at best, and they take a crazy amount of support cards to have the strength other cultures have with 1 or 2.

Yeah, but the thing is this:
Most of those "1 or 2" cards are just used once or twice or have to be reinforced, or don’t apply to every companion. (Not all of those cards, but most.) Plus, it only takes one or two discards to bump them back down to lower strength. Gandy Men get strength bonuses from all sortsa stuff (Events, conditions, tokens, followers, eachother...) and if you discard one or two of their conditions, big deal. Everyone loses 2 strength or so. They’ve got 15 more strength each all lined up in the support area. Sure, everyone loses a bit of strength, but not that much. It takes ALOT more work to beat them down from strength 16-20 to their natural 4 or 5.
This guy makes use of three main Gandy Men strategies: Tokens (ie, Dasron and Last Stand) Followers (self-explanitory: see Strange Meeting) and Skirmish events (Erland, Guidance of the Istari)
Never kid about politicians. The more bizarre the joke, the more likely it is to come true.
Piecesofeight
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:20 pm
I see having lots of cards that give them strength boosts as a weakness not as a strength. They take a lot of work to get them up to a level that is capable of running, and even then they lack damage +1 and only grimbeorn can have hopes of overwhelming. Also, they are constantly threatened by condition discarding cards. Tokens/conditions are considered 1 type of bonus by me because any card that discards conditions also gets rid of tokens. I don’t think these guys are meant to do anything other than be "neat"

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit