LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit
How playable is Destroyers And Usurpers?

5 (Best)  
42%
  [ 6 ]  42%

7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

7%
  [ 1 ]  7%

14%
  [ 2 ]  14%

1 (Worst)  
28%
  [ 4 ]  28%

Total Votes : 14
TheShyzle
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 pm
There will never be a tier 1 deck with 4 of this card. 1 maybe but a good swarm deck is not shut down by 1 def +1 comp. Aragorn RotN but that is not in standard. Look at any of the top decklists from a good tourney and your not going to find a bunch of Elendils Valor. So in my opinion this card poses no threat to my decks that any good swarm deck would not already pose. Shocked I give it a 2
LOOK HERE:
http://lotrtcgdb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=5185
CarpeGuitarrem
Posted: Mon May 21, 2007 8:45 pm
Joined: 07 Apr 2006 Posts: 3361 Location: Franciscan University of Steubenville
Besides...does anyone really use swarm in modern decks? Orc swarm uses Massing Strength, pretty much, so that’s moot.

And this pretty much shuts down Eowyn wounding right now. Mostly, that is.
"ok, change of plans. the Cobracards christmas party is coming to my house, and we’re gunna teach FM how to hunt." (mm)
Apopatos
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:50 am
CarpeGuitarrem wrote:
And this pretty much shuts down Eowyn wounding right now. Mostly, that is.

Exactly! GP
FortunesRazor
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:23 am
Let Folly Be Our Cloak and The Number Must Be Few from FotR don’t have cultural reinforcement either and I don’t think they ever got x-ed.

Not that they are super over-powered but LFBOC works well with wraiths and TNMBF works against anything with 7 companions.

Just Saying.
Anvar
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:08 pm
Lack of cultural enforcement is not so much a problem in and of itself. A few splash cards are good and make the game more interesting. Note that not all cards that lack all cultural enforcement are broken. For example, if I make a FP event that costs 5 and says "Fellowship: Exert 5 companions to draw a card", this is not culturally enforced but no one would play it.

On the other hand, Destroyers and Usurpers says that no companion can have a defender bonus. So let’s say I’m building a Corsair swarm deck. 1-2 copies of D&U will certainly go in the deck, because Defender bonuses ruin my strategy. I then decide to make a Moria swarm deck, and could do with 1-2 copies of D&U at least. And on and on.

No single card should be printed that goes in each and every swarm deck without question (even if only a single copy), and no card should be printed that gives all shadow decks the ability to shut out Defender bonuses.

It just makes the game unfun.

Anvar
raptor22
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:08 pm
Anvar wrote:
Lack of cultural enforcement is not so much a problem in and of itself. A few splash cards are good and make the game more interesting. Note that not all cards that lack all cultural enforcement are broken. For example, if I make a FP event that costs 5 and says "Fellowship: Exert 5 companions to draw a card", this is not culturally enforced but no one would play it.

On the other hand, Destroyers and Usurpers says that no companion can have a defender bonus. So let’s say I’m building a Corsair swarm deck. 1-2 copies of D&U will certainly go in the deck, because Defender bonuses ruin my strategy. I then decide to make a Moria swarm deck, and could do with 1-2 copies of D&U at least. And on and on.

No single card should be printed that goes in each and every swarm deck without question (even if only a single copy), and no card should be printed that gives all shadow decks the ability to shut out Defender bonuses.

It just makes the game unfun.

Anvar

Yep, I agree.

TheShyzle wrote:
There will never be a tier 1 deck with 4 of this card. 1 maybe but a good swarm deck is not shut down by 1 def +1 comp. Aragorn RotN but that is not in standard. Look at any of the top decklists from a good tourney and your not going to find a bunch of Elendils Valor. So in my opinion this card poses no threat to my decks that any good swarm deck would not already pose. Shocked I give it a 2

There are other decks then just tier 1. This card may not be gamebreaking in a tournament, but it can be very powerful in casual play. Oh yeah, and they just made Ranger of the North, which is just a useless rare now...
Last edited by raptor22 on Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
DáinIronfoot
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:13 pm
Joined: 12 Jan 2007 Posts: 4594 Location: Beltsville, MD, USA
Thirded.

If it had even some basic spotting requirements, like "to play, spot 2 Orc minions" or something, it would still be plenty powerful, but MUCH more balanced. Could you still abuse it with other swarming cultures, like Moria? Sure, but you’d have to work a LOT harder at it, and take up more deck space doing so.
Best regards, Dáin, Vice Aftokrator of the Chosen Ones

Check out Lasting Alliances, The Road Ahead, and Ages of Middle-earth, three of my five dream card sets that make up Wars of the Ring. Oh, and I have a trade list now!

Also, if you're into DCs or RPGs (or even if you're not!), check out Realms of Middle-earth, the sequel to CG's "DC Adventure", Realms of the North!
ingold55
Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 1:15 pm
Joined: 10 Oct 2005 Posts: 1199 Location: Out on the front line
Alot of the cards i have seen bust a culture badly.

It is going to become something like this...

1 over powered bad guy card Orc
condition support area
this card cancles all card texts the Gondor culture has.

1 rebuttal to the bad guy card Gondor
condition support area
This condition can’t be discarded.
This card cancels the card text of every card the Orc minions have.

and then it keeps going. I personal don’t like all the new cards that much.
no this is not just picking on the Orc culture, but on quiet a few cultures.
There is a power in this world beyond any of us, and Jesus is that power and The Savior.

Cool this is my attempt to look cool.
Trade list (Want Balrogs and Aragorns)
PorterTroll
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 7:41 pm
TheShyzle wrote:
I don’t see the big problem with this card. If you are not playing against someone who has def +1 companions then it is basically worthless.

But if you are, it completely shuts them down.
Apopatos
Posted: Sun May 27, 2007 8:26 pm
PorterTroll wrote:
TheShyzle wrote:
I don’t see the big problem with this card. If you are not playing against someone who has def +1 companions then it is basically worthless.

But if you are, it completely shuts them down.

So? Belt of erebor shuts down damage bonuses as well, is it broken?
"...I stomp round and round, / Never lie on the ground, / Not even to die. / Oliphaunt am I..."

Apop's trading list
My references
Your deck is small...

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG: Treachery and Deceit