LotR TCG Wiki → Card Sets:  All 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 → Forums:  TLHH CC

Cobra Cards Player Community Forum Index
 Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest
Rate this article!

5 (Best)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

100%
  [ 2 ]  100%

0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

1 (Worst)  
0%
  [ 0 ]  0%

Total Votes : 2
AragornDoFP
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:33 am
--- description ---
A look back at the original Arwen, Aragorn, and Boromir, and how they can still fit into today’s strategies in Expanded format. This illustrates the quality of cards first released by Decipher.
--- end description ---
We now find ourselves eagerly (well most of us anyway) awaiting the release of the fifteenth full LoTR TCG expansion, Treachery and Deceit. It’s hard to imagine that we’ve already passed through The Fellowship of the Ring, Tale of Two Towers, Return of the King, and The War of the Ring blocks. It seems like only yesterday I remember sitting in my small one bedroom apartment opening my first box of the Fellowship of the Ring cards. The excitement and anticipation of opening each pack hasn’t change, but pretty much everything else has.

With that in mind I’ve been reflecting on those old days, and many of those old cards. Many cards from The Fellowship of the Ring, have been re-released or at the very least released as different cards of the same Characters. Many of the characters such as Arwen, Aragorn, and Boromir, have all seen about ten versions by now. With all the new mechanics and deck strategies I thought I’d revist some of these originals and take a look at how they can still be effective today after several years.

The first card we’ll look at

Arwen, Daughter of Elrond
Str. 6
Vit. 3
Resistance 6
Signet Aragorn
Text: While skirmishing a Nazgul, Arwen is strength +3

Arwen’s text hasn’t really changed that much from the original version when you think about it. Fair Elf Maiden makes her strength +3 when skirmishing a fierce minion, Queen of Elves and Men makes each minion skirmishing her strength -2 for each wounded minion you can spot. Almost every Arwen includes some skirmish strength pump.

But how can Arwen, Daughter of Elrond still compete? After all her text is much more specific in that she must be fighting a Nazgul to receive the boost, while the other two have more generic requirements that can apply to any minion culture.

Firstly with the Forestgul strategy being very popular at the moment, and corruption, and trreatgul’s still being a force (at least in my meta) Arwen, Daughter of Elrond still has her place, even if just as a splash companion.

Lets look at how she might work as a starting companion. If you were to start with

Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom
Glorfindel, Revealed in Wrath

Here you’ve got the start to a Nazgul bashing deck. Essentially to strength 9 companions when skirmishing Nazgul, not too shabby when leaving the Shire. In fact they have the same starting strength as at least two of the Nazgul minions Otsea, and Lemenya both have only 9 strength. So by using Glorfindel’s skirmish text or a pump you are already more than capable of knocking off several Nazgul in skirmishes.

To improve your odds you throw in a copy or two of Hadafang, now Arwen is strength 11 against Nazgul, and when she wins you can exert her to discard a condition (Lost in the Woods anyone?), throw a Defiance on her and you’ve got a strength 15 Arwen, strong enough to take down even the Witch-King. Give her Asfaloth, Elven Steed and her base strength is an impressive 13, strong enough to take down any Nazgul without a pump except the Witch-King.

To balance the deck out you can throw Cirdan, The Shipwright, Gil-Galad, and Elrond, Witness to History for more generic skirmishing power. If you’re not fighting Nazgul, you still have Glorfindel who is strength 9, Elrond whom you can play Hadafang on instead, and Cirdan for most of the skirmishing.

Here’s a sample deck. (31)

The One Ring, Ring of Rings
Galadriel, Bearer of Wisdom

Fellowship: (2)
Florfindel, Revealed in Wrath

Companions: (6)
Elrond, Witness to History x2
Cirdan, The Shipwright x2
Gil-Galad, Elven High-King x2

Possessions/Artifacts: (11)
Aiglos
Hadafang x2
Asfaloth, Elven Steed
Sword of the Fallen x3
Nenya, Ring of Adamant x2
Vilya, Ring of Air x2

Events: (12)
Definace x3
Still Needed x2
Attunement x2
Seclusion x2
Final Shot x3

Playing the events early will help boost Cirdan no matter what culture you’re fighting, Hadafang, and Seclusion are sure to keep your opponents conditions off the table, and you can have at least 2 companions with a base strength of at least 10 without pumps. And Final Shot gives an added bonus of strength +5 encouraging the double move when possible.

Nenya gives a healing boost if Archery or skirmish wounds are making it to your companions, as well as serve as a boost for Gil-Galad when bearing Aiglos. It also helps remove all the exertions if you do need to remove conditions frequently. And Vilya serves as another pump for Aiglos or an extra pump if you have to win a skirmish.

If you use a lot of forests this plays very well when mixed with a Forestgul strategy, this also gives you some site manipulation in case you need it.

Next lets take a look at another classic

Aragorn, Ranger of the North
Str. 8
Vit. 4
Resistance 6
Signet Gandalf
Text: Maneuver: Exert Aragorn to make him Defender +1 until the regroup phase.

This classic card is still as effective today as it was when it came out. Plus it has a rather cool picture of Aragorn to boot. This is excellent swarm protection against Evil Men, or Orc’s, just as it was against Moria back in the day.

The major draw back on this Aragorn is his resistance of 6. Unfortunately it paid heavily from the conversion to resistance based cards from signets. Throw Elendil, High-King of Gondor in the deck and a Ranger’s Cloak on him and at least he has a fighting chance.

With the release of Thorongil in The Hunters expansion he maybe losing more value, it’s hard to top a Hunter 2 companion with 8 resistance, and the ability to exert minions. If you play in a meta that uses swarm tactics though I encourage you to try splashing Aragorn in your deck, I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised by his effectiveness. With all the strength bonuses available to Gondor it wouldn’t be hard to overlook the loss of Hunter 2.

Here’s a great example of using him in a Noble Leader’s deck.

Noble Leaders: (35)
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
Boromir, Bearer of Council

Starting: (2)
Faramir, Captain of Gondor
Denethor, Lord of Minas Tirith

Companions: (3)
Aragorn RotN
Elendil, High-King of Gondor x2

Possesions: (10)
Aragorn’s Bow
Faramir’s Bow
Blade of Gondor, Sword of Boromir
Narsil, Blade of the Faithful
Anduril, Sword that was Broken
Ithilien Blade x2
Ranger’s Cloak x3

Conditions: (13)
Noble Leaders x3
Heirs of Gondor x2
Stewards Legacy x2
Throne of Minas Tirith
Crown of Gondor
Sapling of the White Tree x3
Scroll of Isildur

Event: (6)
Swordsman of the Northern Kingdom x3
Dagger Strike x3

You bid to go first, pull Aragorn from your draw deck and you’re on your way. Faramir starts out being a 9 as most minions are roaming until at least site 3-4. You have Imladris to help remove a couple of burdens if necessary at site 3 or 6, giving some corruption protection.

At site three you can get set up with Denethor, and Steward’s legacy will give him Muster in case you need to unclog your hand. Noble Leaders and Heirs of Gondor should clean off most minions, and you have a few events in case your opponent has good condition removal.

All the artifacts make Elendil a beast when he has Narsil, as well as a pin cushion for any archery. Faramir’s bow is mostly for taking out Mumak Commander or the Mouth of Sauron in skirmishes, while Aragorn’s Bow can give some crowd control as well as his Defender bonus in a real tight squeeze. With all the vitality even if you’re having trouble winning skirmishes you can keep moving because they can soak it up.

This deck plays well with a regular Nazgul Beat Down, or Evil Men Archery which is good at cycling.

The last card we’re going to look at actually faired well in the conversion from signets to resistance.

Boromir, Lord of Gondor
Str. 7
Vit. 3
Resistance 6
Signet Aragorn
Text: Boromir is not overwhelmed unless his strength is tripled

Outside of Boromir, Bearer of Council this Boromir has the best base resistance. Every other version is hindered by a resistance of only 5 or lower. His text of course is great as well.

Another benefit this Boromir takes advantage of in Expanded play is the new Prancing Pony, this site lets you pull any Ranger from your draw deck, and this is the only Ranger Boromir if I’m not mistaken. He fits very nicely into Hobbit decks for this reason. If you get caught without a No Visitors and are at risk of losing a hobbit from overwhelming you can toss him over to Boromir and let him soak up the damage.

He really doesn’t need any support cards to survive as a pin cushion, but give him a sword and not even Sauron can overwhelm him. Needless to say he certainly comes in handy in a pinch.

Hobbits: (35)
The One Ring, The Ring of Doom
Frodo, Weary from the Journey

Starting: (3)
Sam, Great Elf Warrior
Merry, Friend to Sam
Pippin, Wearer of Black and Silver

Companions: (7)
Boromir, Lord of Gondor
Bilbo, Aged Ring-bearer x2
Rosie Cotton, Barmaid x2
Farmer Maggot, Hobbit of the Marish x2

Followers: (2)
Daddy Twofoot, Next-door Neighbor
Frodo Gamgee, Son of Samwise
Hobbiton Brewer, Maker of Fine Ales
Possessions: (5)
Hobbit Sword x3
Sting, Weapon of Heritage x2
Blade of Gondor, Sword of Boromir

Conditions: (9)
Home and Hearth x3
Sudden Fury x3
A Promise x3

Events: (7)
No Visitors x4
Community Living x3

This deck is pretty straight forward, you get Community Living to make sure you can pull your Followers out. You bid to go first so you can pull Boromir with the Prancing Pony. Sam, Great Elf Warrior is your main tank with Sting, and A Promise making him a capable fighter. If you’re not set up and haven’t pulled a No Visitors then you can assign tough minions to Boromir to absorb. And a strength 9 companion isn’t bad either.

Pippin WoBaS and Home and Hearth can help you remove burdens with ease in the early going, which lets you bid high to go first. As you go playing your remaining hobbit companions with 3 Home and Hearth out takes care of any burdens added by transferring followers, as will Sam by winning skirmishes.

Sudden Fury can help protect against overwhelming and with Rosie out Sam can pretty much take anything without worrying about being overwhelmed. And Daddy Twofoot helps recycle your No Visitors once you get going.

I hope you all enjoy this short trip back in time, and maybe you will find a place for some of these old friends again.
bobtheorc
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:06 pm
Joined: 19 Mar 2006 Posts: 1218 Location: Wow, its hot in Iowa
I like it.
Kinda nice to go back and look at the "oldies".
Good job integrating old cards into new strategies.
solid 3 plus gp when I can give it.
Exclamation Ban the Overpowered OrcsExclamation
"Don't panic, I have paper!" - Taipan Popcorn
Is that Grima, Grief Counselor? - legolamb
Bobtheorcs Uruk-Hai Dcs
Bob’s wonderful !! updated !! Trade list
NBarden
Posted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:19 pm
Decent article. Several typos, but I will overlook that.

The problem with cards like these, you mentioned Forestguls, is that they are in an expanded format and thus Standard decks, Forestguls, aren’t as prevalent.

This is expanded format, and in expanded, you have to have an extremely top-tier deck or you will get slaughtered. In expanded you have Cantea and Enquea enforcing the Rule of 5 side by side (or, in corruption, Cantea (brutally) enforcing the rule of 5 and Enquea slaughtering everything). Not that your decks fall victim to this, but your decks need to account for everything, because everything will come up it in expanded.

In short, I can’t see the Arwen deck surviving the first couple rounds in an expanded tournament.

In Boromir, same thing. To easy to slaughter. At least pack Armor.

In Aragorn, I’m not to familiar with the decktype, but at least use The Ring of Rings. Any halfway decent, or not even decent corruption strategy would kill it.

In short, the decks lack the competitiveness needed to survive in expanded. I think that you should redo them, and then I’ll vote.
Exclamation-Trade With MeExclamation
Popcorn Add the popcorn smiley to your sig, help it achieve world domination.
What if the hokey pokey really IS what its all about? Shocked
As I lay in bed staring at the stars last night, I thought to myself, "where the heck is the ceiling?"
Arrow Spotlight on....Sense of Obligation.

Forum index » Lord of the Rings TCG » LOTR TCG Strategy Article Contest